• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coastal Route Porto - Santiago

PIERRE GERMAN

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi. I would like to know if there are any guide books I can buy which cover the coastal route from Porto to Santiago. Can anyone help please?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Pierre,
You posted in "Live on the Camino" - if you're actually there, this book
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HC9T1FQ/?tag=casaivar02-20
is available in some of the hostels along it. (but not from Amazon, as you can see). I didn't buy it because I felt I was carrying enough guide material, but I've heard really good things about it - none of the controversies about Brierly's book, which in other posts has been criticized for not adequately covering the coastal route, and for combining coastal and litoral routes as if they were one. And since I didn't read it personally, not sure if it covers coastal/litoral, but it's worth looking for wherever you are. Bom caminho!

Hi KariC. Many thanks for your prompt reply. I will keep a lookout for this book. Might be what I am looking for. Thanks again.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi. I would like to know if there are any guide books I can buy which cover the coastal route from Porto to Santiago. Can anyone help please?
John Brieley book gives all the layout from Lisbon to Santiago. Used it 2 years ago for the Porto to Santiago part, good book.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
John Brieley book gives all the layout from Lisbon to Santiago. Used it 2 years ago for the Porto to Santiago part, good book.

The original post was concerning the Coastal Route.
Brierley falls very short on the Coastal route.
JB guide seems to treat the Coastal track as a one or two day detour from the interior Route.
I had his book while walking the coast...it was worthless.

He needs a dedicated guide to the coast. They are not connected until after Vigo.

JB guide seems to treat the Coastal track as a one or two day detour from the interior Route.

He needs a dedicated guide to the coast. They are not connected until after Vigo.

I have JB book and as you say, it covers just one day from Porto to Vila do Conde. But I must also add that my friend walked from Porto to Santiago on the inland route and he feels this way is more interesting than the coastal route. I guess it is up to what the individual likes best. Thanks for your post.

I walked from Porto to Santiago following the coast at least for the first few days and have very good maps. Email me at sold@iworkforu.com

Eric

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

the route we talk about is not the interior route but the central route.
The interior route has its own subforum here and leads from nearby Coimbra via Viseu and Lamego to Ourense at the east side of Portugal far a way from the route from Porto and the one day detour along the coast.

Last edited:
However....this discussion was about the "Coastal Route".

Both the "Interior" and the "Central" routes are very different and the guide books and maps are very different, also.

The confusion on the routes in Portugal continues.
The problem may be that many people are not aware that there are three distinct Camino routes in Portugal...just as there are different routes in Spain.

It seems that each time a new thread on a Portuguese camino is started we have posts that do not pertain to the route referenced in the OP.

It is kind of like posts relating to the Camino Frances showing up in a thread on the Primitivo or VdlP.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Please don't do Breierley an injustice if you have not seen hos 2016 edition of the Portugese. The information he has on it is as complete as the information he has on the Central. Time to update your guidebooks if you haven't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Pierre,
You posted in "Live on the Camino" - if you're actually there, this book
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HC9T1FQ/?tag=casaivar02-20
is available in some of the hostels along it. (but not from Amazon, as you can see). I didn't buy it because I felt I was carrying enough guide material, but I've heard really good things about it - none of the controversies about Brierly's book, which in other posts has been criticized for not adequately covering the coastal route, and for combining coastal and litoral routes as if they were one. And since I didn't read it personally, not sure if it covers coastal/litoral, but it's worth looking for wherever you are. Bom caminho!

Olá, Sergio Fonseca´s book Caminho Português de Santiago de Compostela is sold here:

https://www.wook.pt/livro/caminho-portugues-de-santiago-de-compostela-sergio-fonseca/16489306

Olá, Sergio Fonseca´s book Caminho Português de Santiago de Compostela is sold here:

https://www.wook.pt/livro/caminho-portugues-de-santiago-de-compostela-sergio-fonseca/16489306
Interesting if you speak Portuguese but there is another problem as I found out earlier this week... Wook , Bertrand, FNAC and others charge you for enormous costs for sending a book abroad. The price of this 10€ cheap book rises to 24€ for a parcel sent to you.
I wanted to buy some books at Bertrand' s but these extra costs stopped me.
A Portuguese friend however travels at Christmas time to Portugal and takes me the books I want so I am lucky.
When I am back in Portugal next year I will have a look for this book.
Thanks for posting
Grande abraço
Albertinho

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Interesting if you speak Portuguese but there is another problem as I found out earlier this week... Wook , Bertrand, FNAC and others charge you for enormous costs for sending a book abroad. The price of this 10€ cheap book rises to 24€ for a parcel sent to you.
I wanted to buy some books at Bertrand' s but these extra costs stopped me.
A Portuguese friend however travels at Christmas time to Portugal and takes me the books I want so I am lucky.
When I am back in Portugal next year I will have a look for this book.
Thanks for posting
Grande abraço
Albertinho

Olá Albertinho, I ordered my book here:

http://www.fromportugal.com/pt/livr...-portugues-de-santiago-compostela-my-way.html

They sell it in 3 idioms: Disponível em: Português, Inglês e Francês. Well , as written on their webpage they only charge 0.51 € for shipping.

Olá Albertinho, I ordered my book here:

http://www.fromportugal.com/pt/livr...-portugues-de-santiago-compostela-my-way.html

They sell it in 3 idioms: Disponível em: Português, Inglês e Francês. Well , as written on their webpage they only charge 0.51 € for shipping.
Did you receive it yet Rainer ?
I just filled in their ordering form and the shipping costs are € 1.55 for two books.
What ID number you filled in? Did you register or just bought as a guest on the website ?

Last edited:
Did you receive it yet Rainer ?
I just sent them an email with the question about the shipping costs .

Olá Albertinho, I ordered it in May this year, em Português. I got an email about the idiom, because they weren´t shure I wanted it in Português. It took 10 days for delivery. Unfortunately I threw the bill away. So I can´t say anything about shipping costs. I bought as a guest on their website and the ISBN for the Português copy was 978 989825 6461.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Olá Albertinho, I ordered it in May this year, em Português. I got an email about the idiom, because they weren´t shure I wanted it in Português. It took 10 days for delivery. Unfortunately I threw the bill away. So I can´t say anything about shipping costs. I bought as a guest on their website and the ISBN for the Português copy was 978 989825 6461.
Olá Rainer,I bought the book an hour ago together with another one from their collection. Both in Português. Coincidence was the Portuguese cookingbook I bought at Bertrand's in Braga last spring is also "from Portugal.com".

The shippingcosts will be around 5€ they wrote me by email.
Far better than from the big websites mentioned before.

Grande abraço da Holanda
Albertinho

Olá Albertinho, hartelijk bedankt voor het bericht. I hope you will get the books soon. The shippingcosts are allright. Btw. I found out that there is also a copy in German. I will order one or two for Caminho friends.

Een warm onthal en een goede pilgrimstocht

Um forte abraço, Rainer

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Olá Albertinho, hartelijk bedankt voor het bericht. I hope you will get the books soon. The shippingcosts are allright. Btw. I found out that there is also a copy in German. I will order one or two for Caminho friends.

Een warm onthal en een goede pilgrimstocht

Um forte abraço, Rainer
Herzlich Dank und schöne Grüsse

If it helps a bit, we did this route in May. I believe the latest edition of Brierly now covers this route but we only had the earlier edition which was not useful. Between Baiona and Vigo the route splits - the yellow arrows head more inland, while the green ones hug the coast. I don't know if the new Brierly covers both, but we would certainly recommend going green as it's a lovely diversion. You won't regret doing this particular Camino. We have some photos etc of our coastal Porto to SdC on our blog

https://twowalktosantiago.wordpress.com

Bom Caminho

Having walked the coastal route a couple of years ago, the technique used, as with the other ways, was to go day by day ... relevant information arrives in a timely fashion ... plenty of options as you go, including youth hostels (Pousadas de Juventude, which offer 10% discount on already reasonable rates) surf hostels and reasonably priced pensions ... guide books and maps are weight and volume in the pack! And embracing uncertainty is energising ... and mostly rewarding ...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If it helps a bit, we did this route in May. I believe the latest edition of Brierly now covers this route but we only had the earlier edition which was not useful. Between Baiona and Vigo the route splits - the yellow arrows head more inland, while the green ones hug the coast. I don't know if the new Brierly covers both, but we would certainly recommend going green as it's a lovely diversion. You won't regret doing this particular Camino. We have some photos etc of our coastal Porto to SdC on our blog

https://twowalktosantiago.wordpress.com

Bom Caminho
My son and I I also walked this route in September. LOVED it!
I agree with JudiJay about following the green arrows, along the coast.
One of our favorite memories, of our Camino, was 'snacking' :rolleyes:;) on the mile+ of wild blackberries that grow along the road, between Baiona and Vigo. Oh my!

We had a plan (no guidebooks, though) yet, let each day unfold- where to eat, using Booking.com to find an inexpensive room for the night, and whether we wanted to stay longer in a particular town.

Cheers,
Tana

I walked the coastal route September 2016. (I started in Lisbon at the end of August). I used the 2016 version from Brierley and the 2017 version has even more information. It is a well marked route even without the guidance from any guide book. I didn't get lost at any stage but getting out of Vigo was a bit troublesome. I kept right along the coast all the way joining the others at Redondela. Whenever there was an alternative route that took me closer to the sea I took it. The trail is fabulous and despite often expressed criticism of there being a lot of road walking I never found this to be a problem. I walked on board walks, beach, lovely country roads, cobble, dusty gravelly tracks. I walked through pretty woodland and open countryside with spectacular views out over the ocean. There were only three portions in the whole walk including the portion from Lisbon to Porto when I even thought about the road. In all of the 33days of walking from Lisbon I had 6 hours of rain and that was on one rest day in Porto. So go for it guidebook or no guide book. It is clearly marked and there are some stunning new albergues along the way (except Vigo) and plenty of accomodation of other sorts. It is a super route; I highly recommend it.

Having walked the coastal route a couple of years ago, the technique used, as with the other ways, was to go day by day ... relevant information arrives in a timely fashion ... plenty of options as you go, including youth hostels (Pousadas de Juventude, which offer 10% discount on already reasonable rates) surf hostels and reasonably priced pensions ... guide books and maps are weight and volume in the pack! And embracing uncertainty is energising ... and mostly rewarding ...
Hi Steve I am planning to walk from Porto to Santiago from 04 September. I have already walked and enjoyed the Francis in 2016 and the Ingles 2017. Am starting to research the Portuguese now but am I okay to not book any accommodation and see how far I walk daily?Am happy to do this as long as there is adequate accommodation en route? I have allocated 10 days walking in total and am hoping when possible to keep to the coastal route . Any advice appreciated. Roisin:)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Roisin, planning, maps and guidebooks are necessary if you need security ...freedom is found by trusting the Universe ... though I always walk in off-peak months, along the Frances, Plata, Portugues Coastal and Central, Norte there has always been a bed at the end of the day ...www.gronze.com helps, and sometimes booking.com too!
Good luck!

Hi Roisin, planning, maps and guidebooks are necessary if you need security ...freedom is found by trusting the Universe ... though I always walk in off-peak months, along the Frances, Plata, Portugues Coastal and Central, Norte there has always been a bed at the end of the day ...www.gronze.com helps, and sometimes booking.com too!
Good luck!
Thanks a million Steve and am looking forward to this camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! My partner and I are preparing to do around 7 days of the Camino Portuguese route, starting at the end of April. We're flying to Porto from Edinburgh, and looking at the best route to...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...
Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back