• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coastal route Porto to Santiago

sharon w

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007
Camino Portugues 2009
Via Podiensis, Camino Frances, Camino Finisterre 2012
Cammino di Assisi 2014
Via Podiensis, Camino del Norte, Camino Frances(Astorga to Santiago) 2015
Aussie Camino 2016
Has anyone walked the coastal route between Porto and Santiago? Is it well signposted? Are there albergues?
Sharon

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
HI - I haven't walked this route but I'd like to know more myself. A few months ago on the central route from Porto to Santiago I met a group of young people who had previously walked along the coast - they described it as incredibly beautiful with lots of beach and sea side walking. Apparently this route (one of several in Portugal) is not waymarked and there are no albergues - John Brierely in his guide makes a passing point that in fact it is quite the reverse because the increasing popularity of the coastal towns and villages for tourists is pushing up the cost of accommodation. There isn't much information available on this route:

http://www.caminhoportugues.org/index2.htm

Brierely says the following:

"In many respects this is the easiest route to follow as it basically hugs the coast to rejoin the main routes in Valenca. It is virtually impossible to get lost and perhaps for this reason it was a popular route in medieval times..."

He goes on to describe very briefly 6 stages:

Porto - Maia 15kms

Maia - Vila do Conde 18kms

Vila do Conde - Esposende 19kms

Esponsende - Viana do Castelo 24kms

Viana - Caminha 23kms

Caminha - Valenca 27kms

Approximately 126 kms or 6 days walking"

The Tourist Office in Porto is very helpful and speak English - they have linear maps and information on accommodation on 5 routes through Portugal - the central route being the one with pilgrim accommodation. The list includes the coastal route. You can e mail them:

E mail tourismo.central@cm-porto.pt

Website http://www.portoturismo.pt

Or PM me and I'll send it to you.

I think it would be a great adventure to do this route - if you decide to let us know how you get on please!

Regards

John

http://pilgrim.peterrobins.co.uk/routes ... ugues.html
I do know people who simply walked along the beach (best out of season, presumably - tho against that most of the hotels only open during the season). The group in Viana seems to be reasonably active but they seem to be working on the assumption that their route will link with a route from Rates on the Barcelos route rather than on any route along the coast. I did come across a walk description which implied that this link was either marked or being marked; perhaps the Viana group can tell you what the current status is.

On the Galician side, there were press reports last year that the coast route would be made an official route in 2010, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I believe there is marking of some sorts, but rather patchy - these things soon fade away if they're not regularly maintained.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Here's what I've already discussed with Anniesantiago in a PM:

My wife and I walked the coast from Porto during the period may-June 2005. We were enticed into this particular version of the Camino Portuguese by the Tourist Office in Vila Do Conde, stressing the view on the ocean, the beaches, the fishing villages, etc.
Indeed, we experienced all of the things promised but in a very uncomfortable 40C weather, at the time when the whole of Portugal was on fire (remember the very extensive forest fires Europe experienced during that summer). It was so hot, someday we couldn't walk for more that two or three hours. Needless to say we didn't see much rain, except for one day in Galicia (We would have been surprised otherwise).

There was a total absence of pilgrims' facilities, although we could always find a cosy little pensao, a nice affordable hostal or count on the ever present Portuguese hospitality.

But what made this adventure most difficult was the fact that all of the way is on pavement, on sometimes busy highways, with very inconsiderate drivers.

In essence, this time on the Camino was not easy but as always, an experience to cherish and remember, after showing a tad of open mind.

I wouldn't recommend it to a first timer...

Jean-Marc

Thanks for the info. We are going to start our camino in Lisbon and then were hoping to walk the coastal route after Porto as we thought we'd be able to walk along the beach for part of this walk. As yet we are still undecided and as we will not start our camino till September we have time to work out a good route. We were also thinking of not taking sleeping bags this time and will maybe just rely on sleeping bag liners. Any ideas on this?
This is a wonderful site to access information. When we walked our first camino (Frances) in 2007, we did not know this site existed. So thanks,Ivar.
Sharon

Sharon,

Indeed, just a liner is fine unless you plan on sleeping outside. Lisbon-Porto you'll be in hostal or pensao. For the rest, it will be a combination of commercial accommodations and albergues or fire halls (the bomberos will always look after you), where you can find blankets if required.
Have a good one.
Cheers
Jean-Marc
N-B. In restaurants, only order ''half plate'' (this is customary in Portugal) as it is often more than you can eat.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sharon, Joe took a lightweight fleece sleeping bag liner and was very comfortable in November on the Portugues. It only cost him about $35.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! My partner and I are preparing to do around 7 days of the Camino Portuguese route, starting at the end of April. We're flying to Porto from Edinburgh, and looking at the best route to...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...
Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back