• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coastal v Central from Porto ?

scubajunky

Hi all, I'm leaving on monday the 4th of April and my head is starting to spin a little with options ! So what are the differences between walking the camino on the coastal or the central apart from walking by the sea ? how is the scenery different ? is the central much busier than the coastal ? are there more accommodation options on the central or the coastal ? are there more alberges on the central or the coastal ?
which would be the best place to join the coastal ? at villa de conde or further ahead ?
Any help is appreciated.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You could ' wing it ' walking on small roads using Google maps. For example the distance is 50 km via Caminha from Viana do Castelo to Valenca do Minho. Lots of towns with simple accommodation along the uncharted way.

Bom caminho!

Nice option would be Day 1 on the coast from Porto to vila do conde and day two go inland towards barcelos.

The whole coastal is more of a solitary camino. The central route is much more social with lots of albergues/cafes/bars every few km.

Dont walk (imo) day 1 from porto to vilarinho. This is an awfull walk. Hardly anybody likes it.

Day one on the coast, than inland. Very nice way to go:)

HI Dutch, That sounds conclusive, I really don't fancy a solitary camino, part of why I love the Camino is the people you meet, the Portugues being quieter than the Frances then if the Coastal is much quieter than the central then I think I will follow your advice, I do love the sea though but I don't want to walk solo every day to be honest.
Thanks to everyone who helped.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you loved the social aspect of the Frances, you will love the Portugues camino as well. I call it a mini Frances. Just as social, just a bit shorter :)

Nice option would be Day 1 on the coast from Porto to vila do conde and day two go inland towards barcelos.

The whole coastal is more of a solitary camino. The central route is much more social with lots of albergues/cafes/bars every few km.

Dont walk (imo) day 1 from porto to vilarinho. This is an awfull walk. Hardly anybody likes it.

Day one on the coast, than inland. Very nice way to go:)
I walked from Porto to Moreira (on the way to Vilarinho) on Day 1 (yesterday April 3rd). In truth I did not like it much I walked along neighborhoods and warehouses all day . Hope it gets better from now on, although from what Dutch says it might be the same way all the way to Vilarinho??

Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked from Porto to Moreira (on the way to Vilarinho) on Day 1 (yesterday April 3rd). In truth I did not like it much I walked along neighborhoods and warehouses all day . Hope it gets better from now on, although from what Dutch says it might be the same way all the way to Vilarinho??

Buen Camino!
A little bit suffering for about 10 kms. From Vairão you will come into a more rural area.
I advise to read on this forum about the caminho Portugues .
80% or even more ? of the forummembers who walked the track you describe ,do advise NOT to walk out of Porto but to choose for the coastal way from Matosinhos to
Vila do Conde. I walked and drove both . From Vairão it is okay and soon it connects the stage from Vila do Conde to São Pedro de Rates.

A little bit suffering for about 10 kms. From Vairão you will come into a more rural area.
80% or even more ? of the forummembers who walked the track you describe ,do advise NOT to walk out of Porto but to choose for the coastal way from Matosinhos to
Vila do Conde. I walked and drove both . From Vairão it is okay and soon it connects the stage from Vila do Conde to São Pedro de Rates.
Thank you Albertinho... I think I did not, for some reason, find the warnings (probably I just looked in the wrong places). I'm north of Junqueira now, hope to make it to Barcelos or further tomorrow.

The road does get better after Vilarinho! ;)

Thank you Albertinho... I think I did not, for some reason, find the warnings (probably I just looked in the wrong places). I'm north of Junqueira now, hope to make it to Barcelos or further tomorrow.

The road does get better after Vilarinho! ;)
Try to get to Casa Fernanda 18 kms beyond Barcelos. The place to be.
In the village of Vitorino de Piães It is on the caminho. At the left side of the road in front of the gardenpath is a sign "lugar do Corgo."

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Try to get to Casa Fernanda 18 kms beyond Barcelos. The place to be.
In the village of Vitorino de Piães It is on the caminho. At the left side of the road in front of the gardenpath is a sign "lugar do Corgo."
Hi Albertinho! I did not make it to Casa Fernanda (stayed in Barcelos last night). I've been doing 20-23 km a day, maybe will stay in Casa Fernanda tonight. Thank you so much for the advise .

Maybe you can help me a little bit more, is there anything 20km approx from Vitorino de Piães? Ponte de Lima seems too close (12 km) and Arcozelo 15km. Are there any towns further up (+5-7km?)

Thank you very much in advance for your advise. Now that I'm asking so many questions I should introduce myself: I'm Marcela, from Colombia and this is my first Camino (solo)! VERY excited for what lies ahead... I hope to make it to SdC on the 14th in time for the pilgrim mass... So wish me luck!

Hi Albertinho! I did not make it to Casa Fernanda (stayed in Barcelos last night). I've been doing 20-23 km a day, maybe will stay in Casa Fernanda tonight. Thank you so much for the advise .

Maybe you can help me a little bit more, is there anything 20km approx from Vitorino de Piães? Ponte de Lima seems too close (12 km) and Arcozelo 15km. Are there any towns further up (+5-7km?)

Thank you very much in advance for your advise. Now that I'm asking so many questions I should introduce myself: I'm Marcela, from Colombia and this is my first Camino (solo)! VERY excited for what lies ahead... I hope to make it to SdC on the 14th in time for the pilgrim mass... So wish me luck!
- Hola Marcela ! Encantado. The problem is that after Ponte de Lima you will encounter the highest point of the Caminho Português , a 20 km offroad trail over a 420 mtrs high mountain without any facilities except one small shop/restaurant just before the climb the first oportunity is Rubiaēs So better stay at Fernanda's. Go tomorrow to Ponte de Lima and climb the Alto de Portela Grande the day after.
Boa sorte !

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Today I ended the first Brierley's coastal stage at Vila de Conde. Walking on all the uneven cobblestones made it not a fun day. May have to take a rest day tomorrow, but what's the best way (not walking) to get from here to the cental route & then Casa Fernanda? Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise!

Today I ended the first Brierley's coastal stage at Vila de Conde. Walking on all the uneven cobblestones made it not a fun day. May have to take a rest day tomorrow, but what's the best way (not walking) to get from here to the cental route & then Casa Fernanda? Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise!
You could go back to Porto and take the train to Barroselas (NOT Barcelos !)
And walk from there 9,2 kms off caminho to Fernanda
From the station you walk to Balugaês where you will find the yellow waymarkers
Or take a taxi from the station to Fernanda.

Bom caminho

You could go back to Porto and take the train to Barroselas (NOT Barcelos !)
And walk from there 9,2 kms off caminho to Fernanda
From the station you walk to Balugaês where you will find the yellow waymarkers
Or take a taxi from the station to Fernanda.

Bom caminho

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks! I figured I would have to go back to Porto for public transportation. Do you recommend walking path from Vilarinho to Casa Fernanda? If it's not cobblestones, I think these old, tired bones could handle it:)

Loo
Thanks! I figured I would have to go back to Porto for public transportation. Do you recommend walking path from Vilarinho to Casa Fernanda? If it's not cobblestones, I think these old, tired bones could handle it:)
Look at my video. It leads from one village before Vilarinho and goes to Fernanda. Judge yourself. It did not bother us last year

Ha ha and you'll see our "old bones"

Bom caminho

Loo
Look at my video. It leads from one village before Vilarinho and goes to Fernanda. Judge yourself. It did not bother us last year

Ha ha and you'll see our "old bones"

Bom caminho
Great news!! Do you think you could save me a bed @ Casa Fernanda for Monday night with your insider advantage card? Am in Barcelinos tonight. So glad that I switched over to cental route today! Walk much better on these old bones:)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Great news!! Do you think you could save me a bed @ Casa Fernanda for Monday night with your insider advantage card? Am in Barcelinos tonight. So glad that I switched over to cental route today! Walk much better on these old bones:)
Oh I am sorry I see this now. We are travelling through Portugal now from camping to camping so not allways have availability of wifi so read your message right now. But I think you managed staying with Fernanda allready.
Bom caminho

Oh I am sorry I see this now. We are travelling through Portugal now from camping to camping so not allways have availability of wifi so read your message right now. But I think you managed staying with Fernanda allready.
Bom caminho
Yes, I was there last night and kept hoping that you & wife would arrive so I could meet you. Had so much fun with Casa Fernanda family that I did not want to leave! Safe travels to you.

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back