• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coastal vs Inland

Anton

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello everyone,

Once again this forum is such a wonderful cornucopia of info and such a great tribe!
I hiked the Camino Frances in September/October 2015 and this September my girlfriend and I will be trekking from Porto to Santiago and then out to Finisterre. I have been really pondering whether to take the coastal route or the central route and the details here have been very helpful. I suppose my question is whether the coastal route has enough resources (hostals, cafes, waymarkers, etc) or if the tried and true central route is the more safe and sound way to travel. I've seen quite a bit that the initial trek out of Porto can be a real bear along roads with little to no shoulder.
I understand that this is a very subjective question, all replies and explanations of your experiences are very appreciated!
Ultreia!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Anton!

I have only walked Central, and took the metro out of Porto. Having done that, the following walk was lovely and I had no issues with walking by urban or industrial areas.
Another thing that influenced my decision is that I lived most of my life on the beach and I did not feel the need to see the ocean all the time.
Third point is that in Central route I could visit Barcelos and also stop at Casa da Fernanda, two things I really wanted to do - and I'm so happy I did! :D

At the same time, I hear the coastal walk out of Porto is quite lovely. So, whatever you choose, you will be fine. Make sure to take some time to enjoy Porto, the city is just amazing!

The Central offers nice towns, more churches and other seights to visit, e. g. the big thursday market in Barcelos (biggest in Portugal). You will pass through forests, climb smaller hills, come across little villages, rivers and vineyards.

But for going out of Porto you can do 1 and a half day on the coastal then switching back to the central and meet it in Rates. Thus you do not really need a guide-book. In Porto you follow the river Douro to the seaside, then walk up North with the sea at your left Hand until you reach the village of Vila do Conde. There, after crossing the river, you follow the river to the right with the river remaining at your right hand. Before meeting the metro-station you will see the first yellow arrows which will lead you to Rates.

BC
Alexandra

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Aaahhhh, I knew I’d get the best replies here!!! Thank you peregrinas!!!

Hi Anton totally agree with Alexandra. Grabbed train to Vila de Conde with my wife Brid. Lovely inland walk to wonderfultraditional but spotless hostel in Rates. Highlight was DEFINITELY Casa de Fernanda....what an experience and totally worth planning to stay there 1 night to enjoy the company and wonderful hospitality. Must be booked in advance or you may have to walk on....So really I think walking a mix of coastal and inland is your best bet. Then Ponte de Lima and on to border crossing into Tui. You will love the whole journey and a lot quieter than the Camino Frances....Enjoy and take it handy. We spent 10 days and it was so memorable. Ger

Hi Anton, I did the Coastal in May of this year and had a wonderful Camino experience, great ocean views from Porto to Vila dos condes, it is all boardwalk with very little road. The accommodations were excellent especially Casa Puertas in Oia. The food and people the best. The variety of forest, beach villages and always somewhere for a coffee and pastry. I highly recommend the coastal route

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello everyone,

Once again this forum is such a wonderful cornucopia of info and such a great tribe!
I hiked the Camino Frances in September/October 2015 and this September my girlfriend and I will be trekking from Porto to Santiago and then out to Finisterre. I have been really pondering whether to take the coastal route or the central route and the details here have been very helpful. I suppose my question is whether the coastal route has enough resources (hostals, cafes, waymarkers, etc) or if the tried and true central route is the more safe and sound way to travel. I've seen quite a bit that the initial trek out of Porto can be a real bear along roads with little to no shoulder.
I understand that this is a very subjective question, all replies and explanations of your experiences are very appreciated!
Ultreia!
Hi Anton
I pondered the very same thing for my second Camino last year and I decided to walk the costal from Porto as far as Caminha then turned in towards Valenca and over the bridge and in to Tui and the plan is the next time I do the Portuguese I will go inland as far as Valenca turn left and head to the coast and Cross from Caminha over to La Garda and continue along the coast till I get to Redondela so over the two journeys I will have completed the coastal and central
Alan

Hello everyone,

Ultreia!

Hi Anton,

The best route out of Porto is to keep the river on your left and follow it to the ocean, then keep that on your left and pretty soon you’ll see the arrows. I’ve done the CP and wanted a mix of inland and coast so I walked Porto to Vila do conde, from there took the inland route to pontevedra, then did espiritual variant (takes you back to the coast) which ends up in pontevedra and from there it’s a strait shot to Santiago. But whatever route you take I wish a bom caminho.

I am so delighted to read all the options of combining Coastal and Central routes after Porto. Thanks, All!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! My partner and I are preparing to do around 7 days of the Camino Portuguese route, starting at the end of April. We're flying to Porto from Edinburgh, and looking at the best route to...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...
Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.