• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coastal way from Lisbon in 21 days

SimonaSVK

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino portugues- may/ june 2019
Hello I would like to ask if there is someone who walked from Lisbon to porto, central route and then from porto to santiago switch to coastal route :) I would love to do it in 21 days, do you think it´s possible? I domt have more time 😞maybe some help with your stages, thank you, buen camino :)

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi,
I walked last summer with my 13 and 16 year old children from Lisbon to Santiago in 23 walking days, we took one day off in Porto so 24 days over all. We switched from the coastal to the central from Caminha to Tui. I think we could have maybe finished one day sooner for a total of 22 walking days. To stay on the coastal the whole time would mean an average of at least 30km a day for 21 days. I wouldn't enjoy that.
The summer of 2017 we walked from Porto to Santiago in 9 days, switching from the coastal to central after Vila do Conde, we could have maybe done that in 8 days. We took 13 days from Lisbon to Porto. That would be my recommendation for you, the first day on the coastal out of Porto gives you a taste of the rest of the days to Caminha. I haven't walked the coast in Galicia so I don't know what you will miss there. However, the central from Rates to Tui is probably my favorite part of all. I think you could get that done in 21 days from Lisbon assuming no 'bumps' in the road.....
Good luck!!
Buen Camino
MaryEllen

Hi,
I walked last summer with my 13 and 16 year old children from Lisbon to Santiago in 23 walking days, we took one day off in Porto so 24 days over all. We switched from the coastal to the central from Caminha to Tui. I think we could have maybe finished one day sooner for a total of 22 walking days. To stay on the coastal the whole time would mean an average of at least 30km a day for 21 days. I wouldn't enjoy that.
The summer of 2017 we walked from Porto to Santiago in 9 days, switching from the coastal to central after Vila do Conde, we could have maybe done that in 8 days. We took 13 days from Lisbon to Porto. That would be my recommendation for you, the first day on the coastal out of Porto gives you a taste of the rest of the days to Caminha. I haven't walked the coast in Galicia so I don't know what you will miss there. However, the central from Rates to Tui is probably my favorite part of all. I think you could get that done in 21 days from Lisbon assuming no 'bumps' in the road.....
Good luck!!
Buen Camino
MaryEllen
So you are saying that there is a coastal route from Lisbon to Porto. Is it easy to find the markers? Are there lots of Albergues? Are there lots of people on it, because I am doing it alone and don't want to be "alone" for a lot of the time. I like having people around. Why did you decide to change from Coastal route to centrale route from Vila do Conde to Santiago? Would you suggest this if you had to do it over again?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi,
No, I don't know about a coastal route from Lisbon I wrote that we switched from the coastal, after Porto, to the central at Caminha, walking to Tui the year we started from Lisbon. The year we started from Porto we did one day on the coastal switching at Villa do Conde to Barcelos.
It is a personal choice, I love the entire route from Lisbon to Porto any way. My response was made to the original poster about trying to get all the way from Lisbon to Santiago in 21 days using the coastal route (from Porto) and how they maybe could get it done in that time frame based on my personal experience.
Again, I love the Camino portugués, one day I will get to the coastal part in Galicia. Good luck!!
Buen camino,
MaryEllen

Thank you for your time and comments. They are much appreciated

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So you are saying that there is a coastal route from Lisbon to Porto. Is it easy to find the markers? Are there lots of Albergues? Are there lots of people on it, because I am doing it alone and don't want to be "alone" for a lot of the time. I like having people around. Why did you decide to change from Coastal route to centrale route from Vila do Conde to Santiago? Would you suggest this if you had to do it over again?

Hi, Wanita, There is a coastal route from Lisbon, but actually a lot of it is not on the coast. The route that is actually on the coast is called something like ruta das areias (route of the sands). You can see posts about it in this sub-forum. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/Coastal-Camino-from-Lisbon/

I know some people have walked it, but there are also a few from forum members hwo gave up.

Would you mind sharing what your stages were?
Hi,
This was our first Camino and I must admit we started with stages too long, we actually added a day after Pontevedra, the original plan was 8 days. Also to note, my husband was driving his father as a 'tourist' so we did not carry packs. The original 8 day plan was taking 2 days from Pontevedra,since my husband could provide cab service.
Here they are :
Porto- Vila do Conde
Villa do Conde -Barcelos
Barcelos - Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima- Valença
Valença - Redondela
Redondela - Pontevedra
Pontevedra - Caldas de Reis
Caldas de Reis - Padrón
Padrón - Santiago
Now that I'm two years into my addiction and know just how far a kilometer is and that distance includes elevation...our stages look hard. But to go back and be an innocent pilgrim! Today I would cut the day short from Ponte de Lima and combine a day after Redondela instead to make 9 days.
Buen camino
MaryEllen

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We walked exactely that route and it took us 23 days - an average of about 31km's per day. We could probably have done it 1-2 days faster, but I had issues with my feet....

You can see all the daily stages at https://wewalk.dk/camino-portuguese/ (sorry, but it's in Danish)

Hi,
This was our first Camino and I must admit we started with stages too long, we actually added a day after Pontevedra, the original plan was 8 days. Also to note, my husband was driving his father as a 'tourist' so we did not carry packs. The original 8 day plan was taking 2 days from Pontevedra,since my husband could provide cab service.
Here they are :
Porto- Vila do Conde
Villa do Conde -Barcelos
Barcelos - Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima- Valença
Valença - Redondela
Redondela - Pontevedra
Pontevedra - Caldas de Reis
Caldas de Reis - Padrón
Padrón - Santiago
Now that I'm two years into my addiction and know just how far a kilometer is and that distance includes elevation...our stages look hard. But to go back and be an innocent pilgrim! Today I would cut the day short from Ponte de Lima and combine a day after Redondela instead to make 9 days.
Buen camino
MaryEllen
Thanks!

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back