• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Codex Calixtinus

baron

Hello all,

VERY geeky question, maybe, but: does anyone have, or know if there exists online, an electronic copy (in English) of the Codex Calixtinus, the medieval text/"guidebook" about the Camino?

More for fun than anything, I'd love to take a look at it (esp. Book V, the so-called "tour guide") before I start my Camino in a couple weeks. I've looked online and can't find one, and the public library doesn't have one either.

Just tossing it out there... thank you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Not sure about electronic copies but you can buy a copy of the so-called guide from the CSJ in the UK. http://www.csj.org.uk (As with many great historical works it was actually lost and forgotten for many years until rediscovered in 1886 by the Jesuit scholar P. Fidel Fita.)

Click on Bookshop
Enter the bookshop
Other Confraternity Publications

The Pilgrim's Guide: a 12th Century Guide for the Pilgrim to St James of Compostella
James Hogarth, trans. CSJ, London, 1992. 98 pp.
This was the first English translation of the medieval 'Pilgrim's Guide' Price: £6.00

Attachments

• Pilgrim's Guide.jpg
    Pilgrim's Guide.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 5,649
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
All the English translations of the Guide are very recent and still firmly under copyright. The only part of the Codex that was widely distributed before the 20th century was the Pseudo-Turpin, various translations of which are available online.

If you fancy creating your own xlation of the Guide, Fr Fita's edition is on Gallica.

See the end of my (lengthy!) dissertation on the subject for some links http://pilgrim.peterrobins.co.uk/santiago/lsj.html

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
One of those co-incidences, this thread re-appearing...
just this morning I was talking with a member of our church congregation, Mary, about the cathedral in Santiago. She visited there a few years ago with an old (not just long-term old, but aged between 80 and 90) friend. Mary described how her friend, a clearly redoubtable and determined woman, an archivist and fluent Spanish speaker, persuaded the reluctant cathedral authorities of her superior academic credentials and right to be admitted to the archives, where they were shown the ACTUAL Codex Calixtinus. Wow! I joked that I would have to report this to the forum but never imagined that the thread would be up and running already!

Jeanne Krochalis, an associate professor of English at Penn State, wrote an interesting paper on the Codex Calixtinus. I copy some of it here.

"There are lots of cheap surviving medieval guides to Rome," Krochalis notes.
But when she and her colleagues studied the 12 manuscripts that remain, they learned this wasn’t the case with the Codex Calixtinus.
"Like a Baedecker’s that never was published, the Pilgrim’s Guide did not see the wide distribution its sponsors apparently intended, and that scholars had assumed it received. The survivors date from the 12thC (three copies), 14thC, late-15thC, early 16thC, 17thC, and 18thC. Each was hand-copied from an earlier manuscript, in a tedious process guaranteed to produce errors.
Most of the manuscripts were copied directly from the original at Santiago, which means that, instead of being the forerunner to Frommer’s, the Pilgrim’s Guide was a curiosity read only by the clerics, historians, and antiquarians who had access to the monastery library. Only one copy of the Pilgrim’s Guide was made during Gelmírez’s lifetime; it was sent, along with a bone from St. James’s jaw, to Bishop Atto in the North Italian city of Pistoia."

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Goodness - this sounds like the beginning of a Dan Brown novel! Though that would have been set in the Holy Year. I'm sure.

If it is really lost/stolen, this is very serious, I know.

Still, see my story above, perhaps they were a bit lax about who they gave access to.

Sadly, my friend Mary, mentioned above, died earlier this year. Her redoubtable friend gave a eulogy at her funeral during which she recounted the story of their viewing of the Codex.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back