• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coffee Break Camino for a Camino Presentation

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
Hello Folks

I've been asked to give a presentation at a meeting to celebrate International Woman's Day. They said they chose me as 'an inspirational woman' :D... because I walked and the because of the reasons behind my walk.

Anyway - I'm flattered by their request and they have asked me to fill an hour... :eek: so my plan is to talk for 15 minutes... show a video... talk for a few minutes more and then answer questions and invite folks to come look at my certificates and credentials, pack and souvenirs.

For anyone that has a spare 15 minutes (coffee break) here's my video... which is a posh way of saying slideshow.

If anyone else has given a presentation on their walk... were there any aspects that went down very well? What were most folks most interested in? Any tips that you can share would be most welcome.

thank you

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Here is what I would do:

5min short introduction of yourself and the Camino
Show Video
Speak about some aspects more in detail ~25min
Open end question section

Also prepare some extra material (history/legends?) to speak about in case your audience hasn't a lot of questions
Prepare a little pamphlet of resources (contact of your local St.James association, url of this forum ect) to take away for those that are now inspired to walk the Camino themselves.

SY

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hello Folks

I've been asked to give a presentation at a meeting to celebrate International Woman's Day. They said they chose me as 'an inspirational woman' :D... because I walked and the because of the reasons behind my walk.

Anyway - I'm flattered by their request and they have asked me to fill an hour... :eek: so my plan is to talk for 15 minutes... show a video... talk for a few minutes more and then answer questions and invite folks to come look at my certificates and credentials, pack and souvenirs.

For anyone that has a spare 15 minutes (coffee break) here's my video... which is a posh way of saying slideshow.

If anyone else has given a presentation on their walk... were there any aspects that went down very well? What were most folks most interested in? Any tips that you can share would be most welcome.

thank you
Day 54 to own first Camino and I was to be honest flagging a bit but seeing your wonderful video has given me the perfect lift and motivation to get my boots on and walk. I love your beautiful photos of my historical birthplace along with the personal story you have created. Well done - an inspirational woman indeed.

Love your video, I think you were walking much the same time as me, September/October, watching the seasons change from late summer into autumn. So beautiful, it brought so much back, thank you. I've also been asked to give a talk, it's to my local Catholic Women's League, next week aaaah! The whole Camino experience was so overwhelming, both physically and emotionally for me, it's really hard to know where to start and how to distill it down. I wondered about repacking my back pack, and letting people lift it and imagine carrying it for 6 weeks. Then unpacking and talking about some of the stuff..... Water, Compeed, Small Travel Towel, Safety Pins etc

SY - I like the idea of a little hand-out... there is just so much to tell and like Andpartner I just dont know where to start and where to end :D

I have so far written a little introduction to the camino and it's history... I reckon that bit is less that 4 minutes. I've then written a little about basics such as accommodation, state of the path, problems... it's brief and I need to lighten it a bit... this is another 4 minutes. I've also included a couple of sentences about why I walked.

If I can shave a minute off of this section I could then show the film?

After this I think the backpack idea is good. I was taking it anyway but actually emptying it can act as prompts to a couple of the funnier stories... and I guess it is more visual and more real?

This could easily cover 10 minutes so plenty of time for folks to ask questions and come and look over the gear?

Would this work do you think?

The silly thing is that I am reading out loud what I have written to my husband and I get quite emotional when I'm reading... it really does bring such a lump to my throat when I see those places and faces and remember my camino...:rolleyes:

(I read my blog through yesterday and was crying for most of it )

thanks for the feedback so far... any other tips welcome (and Andpartner yes I walked 12 september - 21st october)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
So many familiar places,so many revived memories,so many silent calls"COME BACK,COME BACK".I can understand the tear filled eyes.Thank you.Good Luck with talk.

I really liked the video. Don't forget to share your struggles. Good luck with the presentation I'm sure it will be great and I wish I could be there.

Stunning video -- congratulations on assembling a beautiful representation of your Camino! As a "trainer" (academic not physical) in a past life, I agree with SYate's outline for your talk. The video will generate lots of questions -- having a takeaway is also a good idea. Emotion is good :) Not to worry.
Sorry I will miss you on my upcoming Camino (end of May thru June). Would have loved meeting you!!
All the best to you!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Nice video with the salient points along the Francés. Except..... missing the long "meseta", which may be an important factor in the spiritual awakening of a person.
Also the song to"believe in one another" is appropriate. Depending upon the climate, there are risks of "the sky falling down".
¡Felicitación!:)

I think people will want to hear your stories, LesBrass, make them laugh and make them cry. It's good to know about the value of safety pins, but I bet you have a funny story, or a touching story about sharing your safety pins. I think you will do great and have a great time doing it. Buen presentation!

I couldn't watch the video because the Govt blocks use of the music.
:mad:
I've given "the talk" several times.
I show slides that explain the most important aspects which I want to relay.
I show a short "movie/slide show" I have put together which lasts about 2.5 minutes, then I take questions.
I have my pack, my guidebook, by compostella and credencial all on display (and pass them around as needed). I wear the clothes I wore on the CF (check out that awesome profile photo!!).
I try to keep my presentation down to 30 minutes to allow time for questions and the video. I don't want to keep people for more than an hour.
I'm not surprised that people think you are a woman to be reckoned with. Enjoy the glow of the spotlight!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have done this twice (Camino Frances and Chemin du Puy) and was asked to do another comparing the two. The sessions lasted about 80 minutes and I stayed later to deal with people that had questions that were too specific to answer during the presentation. I had about 60 people in the audience both times.

My first suggestion is to play your video to set the theme as people arrive and settle in. Despite the time invested in creating your video, I always want to be the communicator and the conduit for the themes I that I want to present to the audience. I use a slideshow format and hope that my pictures and maps amplify the comments I wish to make.

My overall objectives have been to inform the audience about the "Camino de Santiago" and to encourage that audience to consider doing it themselves because it's "just what the doctor ordered"...something that's good for the body, mind, and soul.

Outline of the presentations I have given:

Dedication
Admin - length of presentation, questions welcomed as I speak, handout available electronically using a sign-up sheet, my basis of expertise
Objective - as stated above
Themes - I mention all of these in the intro and touch on them during the body or the presentation
  1. History
  2. Food
  3. Wine
  4. Lodging- options of albergue, casa rurale, hotel, or parador
  5. Culture - the beliefs, customs, arts, etc., of a particular society, group, place, or time
  6. Geography of Spain - topography and microclimates, what the walk looks like
  7. People that I met and their stories
  8. What it means to be a pilgrim - for me
Props:
  • backpacks (mine and spouses)
  • stone - Cruz de Ferro
  • lightweight day pack (used if one chooses to use transport services)
  • towels - Camino microfiber and normal bath sheet
  • water bottle
  • orange
  • apple
  • raingear
  • credencials
  • Brierly guide
  • footcream
  • suntan lotion
  • Compostella - certificates from Santiago
  • hiking poles - I have used them for 15+ years and wouldn't hike without them
  • knee braces
  • treated Tyvek sheet - bedbug protection
I do mention bedbugs because I believe in transparency and feel it's better to get this subject on the table and deal with it. I also mention foot problems and how I have learned to deal with them. Same for knee problems because I have them.

I gave a lot of thought about how to conclude my presentation on the Camino Frances. I finally decided to just use the picture below and to speak from it. Your conclusion will be different from mine and from the others who have made the walk.

Good luck!

Tom

IMG_1345.JPG

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Very nicely-done video! I liked the idea of wearing exactly your typical walking clothes when you give the presentation.

Hi Les, did you do your talk today? I'd love to know how it went. What worked best etc. I walked 10th Sept - 15th Oct, just a few days ahead of you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello - and many thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. I will indeed use all of these to help me put together my presentation. I've packed my bag and sorted my props and written what I'm going to say... but I'll use it really just to promot me... I'm quite excited now :D

Hi Les, did you do your talk today? I'd love to know how it went. What worked best etc. I walked 10th Sept - 15th Oct, just a few days ahead of you.

Not talking until tomorrow... 11:00 am... followed my lunch. You walked at a good pace... I had to stop for a few days and let my blisters heal... fingers crossed I wont have the same problem when I walk in April!

Awesome video! I am giving a Camino talk/presentation in a few days and plan to have my pack, wear Camino clothing and talk while showing slides. Hmmmm...I wonder if I can figure out how to put some pictures into a video with music. I like all the ideas shared in this thread and will prepare a little handout with info for my blog and maybe some inspirational words by David Whyte and maybe the Pilgrim Beatitudes. My talk is at a public library but I am still wanting to end with a blessing. Any others suggestions would be appreciated. I am struggling to shorten the presentation. I have 100 slides and that seems like just too many, but there is so much to share! Thank you.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back