• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coffee in the morning

monty83

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino from Porto Airport
Hello I would like to stay only in hostels that got place where I could prepare, in the early morning time a cup of coffee or tea, ......cant imagine just jump out of the bed and walk drinking cold water for first 3h before I find coffee shop! :D

Mine camino will begine from porto airport soon

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello I would like to stay only in hostels that got place where I could prepare, in the early morning time a cup of coffee or tea, ......cant imagine just jump out of the bed and walk drinking cold water for first 3h before I find coffee shop! :D

Coffee is widely available, but preparing it in your albergue will depend on the equipment it has! Just turn into the first bar or cafe you come to. They will render aid.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

IMHO, I think part of the joy of the Camino and of the deeper learning and transformation that can take place......

Is to just let go of what we think we 'need'...........and just go with the flow.

You'll find coffee, but maybe sometimes just not when you normally have it. ;)

You might discover a new morning routine that you like just as much :eek:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Looking at the albergue list for Camino francés, it appears that many of them offer breakfast, which I imagine includes coffee. Is not Camino portugués similar?

In Villamayor de Monjardín, we used to do that, but so many pilgrims wanted to leave earlier, so now instead we have hot water available early. ("Bag breakfast" includes coffee but if you have your own, the water boiler is there.)

I walk in hotter months, so like to leave early to walk in the cooler hours. This means breakfast at the albergue is always too late, it works well for me to walk for an hour, than have cafe and breakfast at the next village. I'm also awake enough to enjoy it too at that point.

......cant imagine just jump out of the bed and walk drinking cold water for first 3h before I find coffee shop! :D

I hear YOU @monty83 :eek:. This has also been playing out in my mind :oops:. Sheesh do NOT even speak to me before I have inhaled 1 (Sometimes the mandatory 2) cups of hot black liquid gold aka Cafe' before my day can truly begin .... But i am prepared to go with the flow & adapt young grasshopper ;).

You might discover a new morning routine that you like just as much :eek:

Hellelujah @Robo, I hear YOU TOO! :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When you start in Porto you will find bars and restaurants everywhere.
Most albergues on the Portuguese route in Portugal anyway do not supply a breakfast nor lunch or diner. Do you walk the coastal route , there are many places to score cafeìne or théine.Delta coffee is the Portuguese brand .
In most villages and hamlets in the bars you will meet the locals. If you are lucky they sing the traditional Portuguese Fado music .you have to be there on the right place at the right time. E.g. a small bar allmost at the end of the Douro river which you probably follow on your coastal way. Opposite a small ferry and the penultimate stop of the antique tram-o elétrico - is a bar where the locals sing their fado songs -acompanied by a guitarist and a guitarist with a typical Portuguese guitar ,o violão Português.
Do not forget to order a pastel de nata with your coffee, the national deliciousness, a custard cake with cinamon.

If you stay in the albergue in Padrón -in the meantime we are close to the end of your caminho- walk back over the bridge in front of the albergue.
At your left is a church but at your right is a small bar, Pepe's bar ...Dom Pedro II is on the plaque next to the door. Having your coffee and breakfast there is a special event. Experience it yourself .we have been there several times and still after all those years we are talking about Pepe !:)

Bom caminho

There are many options on the way from Porto, the infrastructure is excellent there. I am a tea drinker myself, so I usually take teabags with me when I travel, green tea with jasmin and some herbal as well. Portugal has no tea culture, but you could find green and black tea if you ask for it in the cafes. Portugal is all about coffee though, I usually had my first espresso after a couple of hours of walking, of course with pastel de nata :) Most of the albergues in Portugal have kitchens, so you can cook or make tea in the morning. In Galicia it's another story though as the municipal ones are bare, no kitchen equipments there whatsoever, even a kettle. So there be flexible and get it in the cafes on the way or stay in the private one where you could use the amenities. You may find it peculiar to see how your dependance on morning coffee routine might change on the way, but when you get back home you most probably feel that coffe there is just bearable in comparison :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There are many options on the way from Porto, the infrastructure is excellent there. I am a tea drinker myself, so I usually take teabags with me when I travel, green tea with jasmin and some herbal as well. Portugal has no tea culture, but you could find green and black tea if you ask for it in the cafes. Portugal is all about coffee though, I usually had my first espresso after a couple of hours of walking, of course with pastel de nata :) Most of the albergues in Portugal have kitchens, so you can cook or make tea in the morning. In Galicia it's another story though as the municipal ones are bare, no kitchen equipments there whatsoever, even a kettle. So there be flexible and get it in the cafes on the way or stay in the private one where you could use the amenities. You may find it peculiar to see how your dependance on morning coffee routine might change on the way, but when you get back home you most probably feel that coffe there is just bearable in comparison :)
Tea in England was introduced by a Portuguese queen, Catarina de Bragança who was married with Charles II of England . Her statue you'll encounter when you walk from Lisboa Parque das Nações direction Alverca de Ribatejo on the caminho. . Close by the Vasco da Gama bridge you can see it when you walk on the boardwalk .
Other interesting thing . Portuguese is the only latin language that adopted the original word for tea from the Chinese . It is supposed tea comes originally from China .the Portuguese word for tea is chá which is in chinese too. In Spanish it is called Té . In Lisbon and some other places an espresso is called "uma bica"
Cappuccino in Portugal and Spain is black coffee with whipped cream.
If you want coffee like cappuccino , order café com leite in Portugal and café con leche in Spain. If you do not like the strong espresso , in Spain ask for café solo. If you want coffee with milk ,not too strong- ask for café Americano.

During weekdays in many restaurants in Portugal and Spain you can order a menu do dia-menu del dia-between about 13.00 and 14.30 hrs. A 3 course meal-a starter , a main course and a so called postre average costs between 7 and 10 € including one drink .cheaper than a so called pilgrims menu.
The menu del dia originally was ordonated by the Spanish dictator generallisimo Franco and was meant as " every worker must be able to buy a cheap meal during midday " so if you pass by a restaurant around 13h00 and see many people eating it could be a restaurant where they serve the menu do/del dia. .good value for money !

hey Albertinho thanks for this, you have a lot of good info! You know a lot

You are all lovely thx for reply, yeah lets search for coffe together and if we cant find any in the morning lets gather on our way to Santiago and complain and talk about lack of coffe!

My trip to Santiago will lead through coffe shops and pasteries, I hope that during this delicious experience I wont lose my way... btw am slim so don't want to lose a lot of weight soo will eat more cakes

hey Albertinho thanks for this, you have a lot of good info! You know a lot

You are all lovely thx for reply, yeah lets search for coffe together and if we cant find any in the morning lets gather on our way to Santiago and complain and talk about lack of coffe!

My trip to Santiago will lead through coffe shops and pasteries, I hope that during this delicious experience I wont lose my way... btw am slim so don't want to lose a lot of weight soo will eat more cakes
You are welcome :)
I bet you'll find your coffee. And your pastel de nata too:cool:. They are good to increase your weight and they are soooo deliciousssss :D
Regulary you only find the pasteís de nata (plurar for if you want two or more :))
In Portugal but here and there you will find them in Spain nowadays. Here in Holland they even are for sale now-fresh and two weeks ago we ate them in London too but the best they are in Portugal at your daily stage to walk with your first cafezinho, your second, your third, your fourth:):):) bom caminho e disfrute os cafezinhos e pasteís de nata.https://goo.gl/images/zPbZHq

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Interesting to read Alberthino's post about the origin of the name tea. Cha or chi is also the name for tea all though Asia from China to India to the Arab world, and a chikana is a place to drink tea. Cha is also the slang word in English for tea, brought back from India by British troops during the British Empire, and when I was working in England many, many years ago, in big offices there were ladies who brought round tea on trolleys at morning and afternoon breaks and these ladies were know as 'cha ladies'.
But I digress. One thing the Camino teaches us is that we have to adapt to foreign cultures, whether it is coffee/tea whatever when we want it or the fact that the locals prefer to talk Spanish. And so Monty 83, what are you going to do if you don't get your coffee/tea - just sit around or get walking and find that you find it at a bar only 100 metres away (which is very likely anyway).

Probably only useful for caffeine-addicted cyclists.... if you need coffee and can carry the weight..
A Handpresso machine is an (expensive) gadget that you pump up to 20bar pressure and serves you an excellent espresso... of course you need the hot water to use in it - so a Kelly Kettle is another lovely gadget (my husband will be wondering what the next, unnesessary gadget is on my birthday list...!)
But with the above gadgets you can brew a perfect coffee even on top of a mountain....(or in a howling gale on Budleigh Salterton seafront if that's what your Mum wants on Mother's Day...!)

That reminds of the hoax arrows you see, pointing to a cafe or bar, and definitely not the trail

Probably only useful for caffeine-addicted cyclists.... if you need coffee and can carry the weight.
How much do they weigh? Me, the bike, and the baggage total 137 kg. I made it over the mountains in Galicia and Bilbao, but I don't recommend it!

480 grams... far less than a bottle of wine!;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have learned to wait about an hour after I begin my walks on the Camino to find someplace open that is serving cafe con leche. At home I can't even sit down in front of my computer in the morning without a cup of "joe" in my hand. Adjusto_O

Hello lovely pilgrims!

Thank you for all you messages, all very helpful!

I bought recently a windburner https://www.bing.com/images/search?...608051729338467532&selectedIndex=2&ajaxhist=0 it is very compact and boil very fast one liter of water but it needs gas bottle, the mini one with tapped screw like top attachment. In uk I use it when I walk, I cook or brew coffee or tea and If I want to drink later I transfer rest hot drink to my thermo flask. It would be super usefull to use it on my way to Santiago from Porto, does anyone know if there is a camping shop that definitely sell those gas bottles say 100g ones? I say definitely because If I take it with me I want to use it and not just carry it an be unhappy not finding gas... it is impossible to take a gas bottle on board of the plane even if in the main lagguage bag due to cabin pressure changes and safety.... please help me to find this gas bottle in porto and I will make you a lovely coffee when we met on the way to Santiago!

Hello lovely pilgrims!

I bought recently a windburner https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=47wDz0a3&id=B4F4BAFD444E72B95547EF39CEFAE2780BE8EC0A&thid=OIP.47wDz0a3vwiGOQUGI0tTuwHaJ4&mediaurl=http://loadoutroom.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/IMG_0105-630x840.jpg&exph=840&expw=630&q=windburner&simid=608051729338467532&selectedIndex=2&ajaxhist=0 it is very compact and boil very fast one liter of water but it needs gas bottle, the mini one with tapped screw like top attachment. In uk I use it when I walk, I cook or brew coffee or tea and If I want to drink later I transfer rest hot drink to my thermo flask. It would be super usefull to use it on my way to Santiago from Porto, does anyone know if there is a camping shop that definitely sell those gas bottles say 100g ones? I say definitely because If I take it with me I want to use it and not just carry it an be unhappy not finding gas... it is impossible to take a gas bottle on board of the plane even if in the main lagguage bag due to cabin pressure changes and safety.... please help me to find this gas bottle in porto and I will make you a lovely coffee when we met on the way to Santiago!
The blue gasbottles we found at shops selling buildingmaterials . anyway in Portugal. Furthermore at big stores like Decathlon . But as was written before at almost every corner of my the street you'll find a bar , bakershop or restaurant where they will make you a coffee or tea with love and at low costs. If you see this sign outside you know there will be COFFEEE !:):p

Attachments

• IMG_3036.PNG
    IMG_3036.PNG
    13 KB · Views: 2

€149,-
The blue gasbottles we found at shops selling buildingmaterials . anyway in Portugal. Furthermore at big stores like Decathlon . But as was written before at almost every corner of my the street you'll find a bar , bakershop or restaurant where they will make you a coffee or tea with love and at low costs. If you see this sign outside you know there will be COFFEEE !:):p

hehe Thank you my Friend!

I must say that because this is my first jurney like this I have a lot of ideas and questions and doubts etc....and also love using this windburner because it is really cool but will take your advice and wont take it witch me, it is 650g less weight to carry will use it here in UK mainly and in Poland

hehe Thank you my Friend!

I must say that because this is my first jurney like this I have a lot of ideas and questions and doubts etc....and also love using this windburner because it is really cool but will take your advice and wont take it witch me, it is 650g less weight to carry will use it here in UK mainly and in Poland
All you really do not need, leave at home. The caminho provides .
Bom caminho and "disfrute o café" enjoy the coffee and of course all other good things of Portugal and Galicia. The food , the wine, the people..the scenery .
a for life experience !

If you see this sign outside you know there will be COFFEEE !:):p
If you're hunting for a red triangular DELTA sign, you may be missing out. I've stopped for café con leche in dozens of cities/villages between Estella and León without ever seeing such a sign.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
hello

going to mark on my maps where coffee places are, all this is v exciting but am also nervous but I think this is quite normal to feel like this before going for first camino ......it will be good to practice a new way of life because I want to trawel more and see world

If you're hunting for a red triangular DELTA sign, you may be missing out. I've stopped for café con leche in dozens of cities/villages between Estella and León without ever seeing such a sign.
Delta is the prime coffee brand Portugal so your remark is correct if you say that you do not see the Delta triangle in Spain between Estella and León . . But the OP is talking about the caminho Portugues which longest part goes through Portugal.and there almost everybody drinks Delta coffee. Although I live in Holland , only 5 kms from here I can drink Delta coffee in a Portuguese restaurant. And that cup tastes d*mmed good !

Last edited:
hello

going to mark on my maps where coffee places are, all this is v exciting but am also nervous but I think this is quite normal to feel like this before going for first camino ......it will be good to practice a new way of life because I want to trawel more and see world
Keep calm ! Just walk and your bars, restaurants and paderias appear automatically. Remember your first step is the most difficult to take. The other 2 millon steps are just a matter of repeating the first one.
Just enjoy what comes on your way.
What will be your routing ? The central route, the coastal or the interior (although this one does not start in Porto) ?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
But the OP is talking about the caminho Portugues which longest part goes through Portugal.and there almost everybody drinks Delta coffee.
Well, I guess that means I need to pay a visit to Portugal! (Though, in my two days last year in Lisbon, I don't remember seeing that sign.)

I'm a coffee-first-thing-in-the-morning person in the US, and while doing the Camino, had no problem at all adapting to the rhythm of the Camino, which often meant walking a couple of hours before coffee was available. My advice is to be on the camino and enjoy and accept it!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am Stage 15. It will be 2-2.5 hours walk before I have coffee.

I can’t believe how quickly the days are going!

Hello lovely pilgrims!

I bought recently a windburner https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=47wDz0a3&id=B4F4BAFD444E72B95547EF39CEFAE2780BE8EC0A&thid=OIP.47wDz0a3vwiGOQUGI0tTuwHaJ4&mediaurl=http://loadoutroom.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/IMG_0105-630x840.jpg&exph=840&expw=630&q=windburner&simid=608051729338467532&selectedIndex=2&ajaxhist=0 it is very compact and boil very fast one liter of water but it needs gas bottle, the mini one with tapped screw like top attachment. In uk I use it when I walk, I cook or brew coffee or tea and If I want to drink later I transfer rest hot drink to my thermo flask. It would be super usefull to use it on my way to Santiago from Porto, does anyone know if there is a camping shop that definitely sell those gas bottles say 100g ones? I say definitely because If I take it with me I want to use it and not just carry it an be unhappy not finding gas... it is impossible to take a gas bottle on board of the plane even if in the main lagguage bag due to cabin pressure changes and safety.... please help me to find this gas bottle in porto and I will make you a lovely coffee when we met on the way to Santiago!
It depends what gas canisters it takes. In Europe 'Camping Gaz' is sold everywhere and fits many small stoves. But the MSR stoves I think run on the threaded canisters - so you need to find out if they sell them widely - like Primus eta maybe? If you google 'Decathlon' which is an outdoor superstore in Europe you may be able to find out what is the european equivalent for MSR - still with a thread...
Good luck - i know everyone else seems to find a cafe (open) when they need a coffee - I have quite often not found one or they are closed....!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.