• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coffee inPortugal

Camembert

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Olá peregrinos

A friend of mine sent me this picture.
I thought it is nice to share if you like the various coffees, being served in Portugal

in some parts of Portugal e.g. Porto ,they call a strong coffee a bica.

Anyway enjoy your coffee with a pastel de nata ( or two)

Attachments

• 88D66C36-6795-4B9B-8A27-9EC870D97B04.jpeg
    88D66C36-6795-4B9B-8A27-9EC870D97B04.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Olá peregrinos

I thought it is nice to share if you like the various coffees, being served in Portugal

They also go to town with hot chocolate too!

1655983161611.jpeg

Olá peregrinos

What’s the difference between Garoto and Meia de Leite - both described as 1/2 coffee 1/2 milk??

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I wondered the same. Perhaps the size and the design of the cup? ☕😀
It is the size. Garoto in Portuguese means “ boy”

btw . We have a lot of “ experiences” with cappucino in Portugal but also in Spain and France.
Often they fill the cup with strong coffee and then fill up with whipped cream from an aerosol. Ask for café com espuma de leite in (Portugal ) if you want coffee like what we mean as cappucino (coffee with milk foam)

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This is a little off-topic since it is about a brand of coffee vs. a type of coffee drink. But I wanted to put in a plug for Delta coffee. It is a Portuguese brand but we had it a couple of times in Spain. Both times we drank it without knowing the brand but were blown away with how good it was -- rich and complex but not harsh. Both times we asked what kind it was and were told "Delta". We told some friends of ours who were going to Portugal to keep an eye out for it. They did see it advertised at some bars and fell in love with it, too, and started seeking it out.

Olá peregrinos

Generally speaking I liked the coffee in Portugal more than Spain. Not that the Spanish coffee isn’t good.
I think I have had more outstanding coffee in Portugal.

Can one just ask for a Cafe com leite and expect a plain old flat white? Or should one just order a branco liso?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Can one just ask for a Cafe com leite and expect a plain old flat white? Or should one just order a branco liso?
No. They are quite different in my experience. The cafe com leite will not have the micro-foam layer one gets with a well made flat white. That said, cafe com leite or meia de leite were the closet to a flat white that I found.

So which one is the nearest to a Spanish Cortado please? I'm about to start weekly Portuguese lessons on zoom via International House in London and I'm pretty sure we'll be learning how to ask for coffee. ☕

So which one is the nearest to a Spanish Cortado please? I'm about to start weekly Portuguese lessons on zoom via International House in London and I'm pretty sure we'll be learning how to ask for coffee. ☕
Um Garoto por favor

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Olá peregrinos

Nobody asks for an expresso, though that's what it's shown as on the poster if you want an espresso. Ask simply for a café, and that very short, strong shot is what you'll get!

And..in our many experiences over the last few years in cafés in small-town Portugal and cities alilke, an abatanado is much more like an espresso longo than, as they illustrate here, an Americano (which is as close to North American black coffee as you get in Europe, but not that common outside the cities in Portugal). Um abatanado will come in a bigger cup than a bica/expresso/café, but still will be very, very strong--closer in strength to an espresso than anything else.

And

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.