• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coincidence, synchronicity or a message?

bystander

Veteran Member
If things had gone to plan in only a few days from I would have been starting my first Camino.

As I have written elsewhere illness, injury and medical advice disrupted and made me postpone those plans for a year.

Still in recovery from my latest bout with the medics I, yesterday, went shopping. Having shopped I staggered with two bags of goods the 40 metres back to my car.

Having dumped the bags in the car I slumped in pain, gasping for breath like a fish out of water, and thought "What an idiot, what a mess and you're dreaming of walking 800km across Spain. Forget it fool. Read the runes."

Returning home I dropped into an armchair, regained my breath and turned on the television.

The first programme that flickered onto the screen was a travel log of two men making a journey from Santander to Santiago de Compostela.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It took me over two years to prepare for my 2014 Camino -- and I've still not fully overcome the negative physical conditions in question, so I need another Camino this year.

The trick is, you have to train and train, and then plan your Camino around the problem ; and don't start the Camino until you're sure that whatever workarounds and compromises you find will be sufficient.

People shouldn't use the pack transport services IMO -- except for those with medical reasons, who often should.

My daily stages last year varied between 5 and 35 KM. In 1994 I averaged 40 KM, a marathon a day.

It's not any kind of race, just walk as you can, with a daily distance that feels right on a completely daily basis -- however many KM that might be.

Do NOT plan ANY daily stages in advance of actually setting your feet on the Camino ; you could just as well be forced into some very short stages every day as you could discover hidden strength that will take you further than you imagined. The hiking is a daily task, and as long as you keep it up, eventually you'll get to Compostela -- in your own time, and with your own strengths and weaknesses. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Bystander, what programme was that? Maybe I can find it on 'catch up'. I'd like to see that. We came home from our CF via Santander/Portsmouth ferry last Oct. Thank you

If things had gone to plan in only a few days from I would have been starting my first Camino.

As I have written elsewhere illness, injury and medical advice disrupted and made me postpone those plans for a year.

Still in recovery from my latest bout with the medics I, yesterday, went shopping. Having shopped I staggered with two bags of goods the 40 metres back to my car.

Having dumped the bags in the car I slumped in pain, gasping for breath like a fish out of water, and thought "What an idiot, what a mess and you're dreaming of walking 800km across Spain. Forget it fool. Read the runes."

Returning home I dropped into an armchair, regained my breath and turned on the television.

The first programme that flickered onto the screen was a travel log of two men making a journey from Santander to Santiago de Compostela.

Hi Bystander how are those bones healing and the shingles sounds like life it is still a little tough and painful?Hope you are feeling much better soon and that you will be able to think once more of doing your camino. May Blessings come your way this Easter time friend!:)

Hi Bystander-I believe everything happens for a reason and maybe the message is not now not never, I hope you are on the mend and will once again begin to plan your trip even if you have to modify your plans.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There surely are messsages and "coincidences" whatever someone could call them. For example, half an hour ago I was searching the net about poste restante in Spain and the link I opened gave an example for post office in Valencia which will be my starting point in 62 days. Isn't that nice, I mean like some kind of approval that I'm doing the right stuff :)

And I don't really train no more. OK, it's a bit easier at 45yo, but I'm so dead scared that I would twist my ankle again (reminiscence of 2011 Camino when 2 weeks prior to departure I twisted it during jogging and made it only to Logrono in tears) or my knees would demand less walk & more rest (as last year). But all of other signs are the right one. Like "if one doors closes the other will opens" (mostly regarding funds). Of course you should or even shouldn't believe in "conspiracy theory" because they are exactly that :D

Hope you're OK and soon in ready-steady-go mood :cool:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It is bad enough facing the disappointment - but to have it rubbed in by the tv - too much! It's the Book of Job writ large. I send my good wishes for a full recovery.

Bystander, my friend received a similar message. Browsing videos one night he came across "The Way", watched it and thought it sounded like something he'd like to try. He and his wife walked the Camino and on their last night in Santiago flipped on the television, only to find "The Way" playing. To end the adventure with what had started it all was perfect.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It took me over two years to prepare for my 2014 Camino -- and I've still not fully overcome the negative physical conditions in question, so I need another Camino this year.

The trick is, you have to train and train, and then plan your Camino around the problem ; and don't start the Camino until you're sure that whatever workarounds and compromises you find will be sufficient.

People shouldn't use the pack transport services IMO -- except for those with medical reasons, who often should.

My daily stages last year varied between 5 and 35 KM. In 1994 I averaged 40 KM, a marathon a day.

It's not any kind of race, just walk as you can, with a daily distance that feels right on a completely daily basis -- however many KM that might be.

Do NOT plan ANY daily stages in advance of actually setting your feet on the Camino ; you could just as well be forced into some very short stages every day as you could discover hidden strength that will take you further than you imagined. The hiking is a daily task, and as long as you keep it up, eventually you'll get to Compostela -- in your own time, and with your own strengths and weaknesses. :)
Hi JabbaPapa,
From what you say it sounds like you have done an amazing job on your caminos, and you've certainly walked some impressive distances. We can all aspire to complete such accomplishments. I certainly admire them.

Even so, I can't help but wonder why you would think that other people should or shouldn't do things a certain way (eg. "People shouldn't use the pack transport services IMO -- except for those with medical reasons, who often should.") Surely there are others who do not have your strength, time, or fortitude or even will, who still have the right to choose their own way to complete their own camino?
With respect
Cecelia

Even so, I can't help but wonder why you would think that other people should or shouldn't do things a certain way (eg. "People shouldn't use the pack transport services IMO -- except for those with medical reasons, who often should.") Surely there are others who do not have your strength, time, or fortitude or even will, who still have the right to choose their own way to complete their own camino?

It's just advice -- and surely there's no reason why I shouldn't provide the advice I think best, right ? Or are you advising otherwise ? ;)

Certainly there are hardships on the Camino that not everyone will have the fortitude or the sheer bloody-mindedness to face up to -- and besides, ad impossibile nemo tenetur.

I'm just saying that walking every step of the way, if you can, carrying your pack the whole way is something that shines in the memory with surprising warmth ; more simply, the full experience is a good thing, and I'm sad for others when I see them missing out on it.

This has nothing to do with "rights" and "choosing your own way" -- and there aren't some pilgrims who are "better" than others ...

It's just advice -- and surely there's no reason why I shouldn't provide the advice I think best, right ? Or are you advising otherwise ? ;)

Certainly there are hardships on the Camino that not everyone will have the fortitude or the sheer bloody-mindedness to face up to -- and besides, ad impossibile nemo tenetur.

I'm just saying that walking every step of the way, if you can, carrying your pack the whole way is something that shines in the memory with surprising warmth ; more simply, the full experience is a good thing, and I'm sad for others when I see them missing out on it.

This has nothing to do with "rights" and "choosing your own way" -- and there aren't some pilgrims who are "better" than others ...
It appears we are in complete agreement - words alone can be a difficult way to make our intended meaning clear. Cheers.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I like Jabbapappa's advice: get the workarounds, and also, don't hesitate to utilities the help available. It is there for YOU. If you need a helping hand, take that hand. Walk a little. Enjoy the love. Relish in the view.

I believe firmly that synchronicity is a message that you are receptive to messages from God and the universe at large. It takes a perceptive observer to notice; a watchman to see; a keen listener.

The thing to remember is that we and our bodies are fragile machines. And many times more than not your body is repairable. With care and slowly allowing your body to recover could still lead you to the Camino de Santiago. You do not need to walk the entire camino or receive a Compostela to feel as if you have completed something monumental in your life. Give your body time to heal and your body will tell you when you are ready for your Camino. Remember life is a journey and incredible Camino all in itself. I can say with 100% confidence that if you even walk one day on the Camino de Santiago you will be just as much of a pilgrim as the next person. Prayers your way.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back