• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

cold and wet

Nancy walker

Time of past OR future Camino
First time starting 22nd Sept 16 from St Jean Pied
Hello!

I'm due to leave for my camino from SJPP to Fisterra in two weeks so will be walking last week of September, through October into the first days of November.

I went for a trial walk through the Yorkshire Moores yesterday (for those who don't know, Yorkshire is one of the wettest counties in England!) It was very boggy with many puddles. My shoes are not at all waterproof as they are trail running shoes. My feet were sodden wet through! Otherwise I love my shoes.... I easily get overheating feet so I'm very happy with them, plus they're dead comfy. However, I worry about wet feet and blisters. So I've bought some waterproof breathable socks, which have great reviews. I'm thinking that if there is a puddly stretch of camino, I can bob on my waterproof socks over my normal socks and keep my feet toasty and dry. If it is hotter and dryer, I'll wear just the normal socks and keep cool feet. Does this sound like a good idea or the world's worst idea?

Also, I REALLY feel the cold in the evening, especially when I'm tired. Once I get cold, I can not heat up again without a bath or a log fire!! At present, I've just got a thin microfleece and a merino wool long sleeve top to go under it. I was really chilly in yorkshire wearing these items last night. Again, Yorkshire not really comparable to Spain - but maybe to Galicia in late October. ... (?!)

I'm up to 6.5kg and plan to carry 2 litres of water on top of that.... so I an hesitant to put anything more in my pack... But I'm dreaming of a lightweight down jacket for keeping me from turning into a ice block at nights. I have a sleeping bag (900g, 2 seasons).... do I really need a down jacket? They pack up dead small and are not heavy....

Am I overthinking things? Obviously I am! But what else and I supposed to do with this 2 weeks when I wish I could leave RIGHT NOW!!!!

I have some work and a friend's weddings.... plus some days of tidying my house and packing and re packing my backpack.. . then I'm off :)

CAN NOT WAIT :) !

Nancy
x

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I would question whether you need to carry 2 litres of water, there are so many fountains that you can top up with, also tiendas along the way where you can purchase extra water.
The only place that you might need extra water is the Meseta, on the long legs there were a couple of locals selling drinks and food, but whether that is still the case I don't know.

Regarding your down jacket only you can answer that, if you feel you need it, then go for it.

What to do with the remaining weeks until departure, unpack, weigh, repack and repeat. In between soak up the guide book again and again.

You have such a wonderful journey ahead of you, I hope all goes well.

Buen Camino

I would question whether you need to carry 2 litres of water, there are so many fountains that you can top up with, also tiendas along the way where you can purchase extra water.
The only place that you might need extra water is the Meseta, on the long legs there were a couple of locals selling drinks and food, but whether that is still the case I don't know.

Regarding your down jacket only you can answer that, if you feel you need it, then go for it.

What to do with the remaining weeks until departure, unpack, weigh, repack and repeat. In between soak up the guide book again and again.

You have such a wonderful journey ahead of you, I hope all goes well.

Buen Camino

thank you!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, Nancy,

You're right it could be much cooler in the months you are about to walk than it is right now. I suggest you put a light wind/down jacket in your backpack and forget about 2litres (=2kg) of water. On Frances fountains and other infrastructure are mostly so close to each other that 1 liter will be more than enough.

In my years long experience as alpinist, mountaineer, Caminoist, skier etc. there is no such thing as "waterproof breathable", either it's waterproof or breathable :)

Wish you a nice Camino!

When wet down is no stinking good and it is hard to get dry. Since you live in a wet area I recommend a poly filled puffy jacket that you can use at home too. It will add a bit of bulk and a bit of weight over down but it should be cheaper and I think it will be more useful.

That said, I don't know if you will need it as I haven't walked anywhere in Spain that time of year.

Try to squeeze in Muxia also. It is just a day's walk from Finesterre and it has a different atmosphere.

I didn't have puddles and bogginess on the CF. I did have a stretch of mud, but that was only one day out of many. I did have puddles and bogginess on St Olav's so do have a frame of reference, and there is no comparison.

You didn't mention your rain gear. Often that can be layered for additional warmth. Your sleeping bag can be worn over your shoulders for cool mornings. If an additional fleece or down layer is needed later in October/November it could be purchased later. I don't think I'd want to carry a down jacket for the first half because I might need it on the last half.

I agree with others that 2 liter of water will not be needed. I carried 2 half liter bottles in my pockets and an additional one for emergencies in my pack. Never needed the third one.

Your journey will be here before you know it. First, "how will I fill my time"; then "yikes, it's here".

Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yorkshire not really comparable to Spain - but maybe to Galicia in late October.
Looking at last year for September and October using Leon as the midpoint weather average, there was only about two days of "rain" with a bit of moisture on a few other days. I don't think you will encounter continuous, drenching rain in either month even in Galicia. The daily lows never got close to freezing in September, but did dip close on a couple of days in October before climbing to the sixties fahrenheit.

What about a merino base layer t-shirt.
Presumably, with your rain gear, that would give you four layers.
I have twice walked the Frances Sep/Oct and never needed more than that.
You'll be snug as a bug in a rug. :)
Good travelling and Buen Camino.
Gerard

Buen Camino, Nancy. I'm sure the beautiful Yorkshire scenery more than compensated for the soggy weather!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Buen Camino, Nancy. I'm sure the beautiful Yorkshire scenery more than compensated for the soggy weather!!

Indeed it did! The heather was abundant and so the hills were purple and glorious. I live in Manchester so am spoiled by being an hour or two away from the lake district, the pennines and snowdonia!

What about a merino base layer t-shirt.
Presumably, with your rain gear, that would give you four layers.
I have twice walked the Frances Sep/Oct and never needed more than that.
You'll be snug as a bug in a rug. :)
Good travelling and Buen Camino.
Gerard

I am very excited! Thank you for your advice!

With the cooler weather and frequency of water stops, 1 liter of water is surely sufficient. That saves a kg.

What about silk longjohns (legs baselayer)? And you could use a silk top baselayer under your merino. Silk is wonderfully light, amazingly warm for its weight, and dries quickly when washed. It comes in many weights.

If you're already carrying a sleeping bag for nights, adding a silk liner inside that could be the simplest way to make it warmer. Often walkers in hot summer months will use just the silk liner.

Layering your rain jacket like @cher99840 suggested is a good idea. The rain jacket will act like a vapor barrier and retain the heat from your body. I have successfully used an emergency blanket on wilderness trips. They work very rapidly, but require some active management. I have used them on canoe trips in Canada, to swamps in Florida. Here is a hyperlink to the SOL Emergency Blanket it is more durable than just a Mylar sheet, not as noisy, and only weighs 2.9 oz or 82.2 grams. You can use it like a blanket on top of your sleeping bag, and just cover and uncover as needed. The key is to control the condensation between the emergency blanket and your sleeping bag. Here is a hyperlink to and article on vapor barriers that you might find useful.

As far as additional insulating layers, I am planning on bringing a Mountain Hardwear Thermostatic Jacket instead of a fleece. It has synthetic insulation, packs up really small, and is surprisingly warm. The Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer Down Jacket is a great down jacket, but considerably more expensive. They also have a hooded version.

I had great shoes that weren't at all waterproof and in June when walking through a wet Galicia I was fine. Changed socks a few times on the wet days and was happy in teh morning when my shoes had dried. I think in really wet weather even waterproof shoes get wet.
I had a two litre water bag and I only filled it halfway most of teh time. There are plenty of stops along the way to refill.
You're making me remember the two weeks before leaving...so exciting (I'm jealous). It seems to me that you are as ready as you need to be and the camino will provide the rest.
Buen Camino!

Linkster, love that Mountain Hardwear jacket. I'm such a gear head...

Nancy, I hiked England's Coast to Coast a year ago and you are so lucky. It was a beautiful and varied 14 days of hiking from the Lakes to the dales and moors...and staying in pubs along the way didn't hurt, either! Ran into one of the Downton Abbey actors at Black Sail Hut, too ("Lord Gillingham", sigh).

In 2012, I got drenched in October in Galicia. It was chilly rather than cold but everything got soaked for 5 days straight. I live in the mountains so for fall/spring hikes here, I use a wool or quick dry t shirt, Capilene base long sleeve (I only use wool on dry days, Capilene on wetter ones), then an insulating layer like the one Linkster mentioned. I have an old Patagonia Nano hoody (10 oz) that needs to be replaced but it's warm and can even stand alone in a drizzle, if needed. The insulator is also great in planes, for a pillow, wearing out at night and comfy for sleeping. Everyone here uses them under ski jackets on cold days because they are light, thin, slide under jackets easy and are warmer than a sweater. They have synthetic fill so dry fast. The top layer is a GoreTex rain jacket though Kinky One is totally right. Waterproof and breathable are oxymorons. I started carrying a light umbrella on that C2C walk and it's now always in my pack for both sun and rain. Makes a world of difference to have lunch under an umbrella on a wet day or on a blistering, shadeless trail. I've been drooling over the handless umbrella on this site...any pros/cons from users?

As for water, I'm a bladder kind of girl (that sounds bad, they should call it a water bubble instead!). I take a 2 liter and just don't fill it all the way, if I'm sure there's going to be water that day. There's also times the bladder/bubble is filled, along with extra bottles in the pack. I'd rather have it than run out. You can always dump it out on the trail or give it away so don't overthink that one too much.

Have lots of fun, wish I could leave, too!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, I walked in rain for 2 weeks on Primitivo route in Oct 2014. I wore trail runners with merino wool socks and sock liners. The woolen socks wicked the water away from my feet, excess water ran out of the shoes because they weren't waterproof and the shoes and socks generally dried overnight. I was never uncomfortable and never had blisters. In fact I often enjoyed getting wet feet, it cooled my feet nicely! Buen Camino

I carry a down vest (i.e. a sleeveless jacket) I don't use it for walking, but love it in the cool evenings or even while sleeping. Being sleeveless, it is less bulky in my sleeping bag.

I agree that 2 L of water is not normally needed.

But I'm dreaming of a lightweight down jacket for keeping me from turning into a ice block at nights. I have a sleeping bag (900g, 2 seasons).... do I really need a down jacket? They pack up dead small and are not heavy....

I've not read all the responses, but in May I was walking for a few days in Navarra and Rioja, and literally at the very last minute as I was leaving my car at the airport I picked up my Uniqlo down jacket - incredibly light and folds into its own tiny pouch - and shoved it in my pack.

I was SO glad to have it. If raining I could wear my waterproof jacket over it, and I wore my fleece under it. I wore it in the evenings and every day.

I am returning for 12 days walking at the end of September and will definitely be taking it again. Those few ounces/mg will be worth their weight in cool weather. I'd carry a little less water if you are really concerned about the weight.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hello!

I'm due to leave for my camino from SJPP to Fisterra in two weeks so will be walking last week of September, through October into the first days of November.

I went for a trial walk through the Yorkshire Moores yesterday (for those who don't know, Yorkshire is one of the wettest counties in England!) It was very boggy with many puddles. My shoes are not at all waterproof as they are trail running shoes. My feet were sodden wet through! Otherwise I love my shoes.... I easily get overheating feet so I'm very happy with them, plus they're dead comfy. However, I worry about wet feet and blisters. So I've bought some waterproof breathable socks, which have great reviews. I'm thinking that if there is a puddly stretch of camino, I can bob on my waterproof socks over my normal socks and keep my feet toasty and dry. If it is hotter and dryer, I'll wear just the normal socks and keep cool feet. Does this sound like a good idea or the world's worst idea?

Also, I REALLY feel the cold in the evening, especially when I'm tired. Once I get cold, I can not heat up again without a bath or a log fire!! At present, I've just got a thin microfleece and a merino wool long sleeve top to go under it. I was really chilly in yorkshire wearing these items last night. Again, Yorkshire not really comparable to Spain - but maybe to Galicia in late October. ... (?!)

I'm up to 6.5kg and plan to carry 2 litres of water on top of that.... so I an hesitant to put anything more in my pack... But I'm dreaming of a lightweight down jacket for keeping me from turning into a ice block at nights. I have a sleeping bag (900g, 2 seasons).... do I really need a down jacket? They pack up dead small and are not heavy....

Am I overthinking things? Obviously I am! But what else and I supposed to do with this 2 weeks when I wish I could leave RIGHT NOW!!!!

I have some work and a friend's weddings.... plus some days of tidying my house and packing and re packing my backpack.. . then I'm off :)

Nancy
x
Hello!

Nancy
x
Hi Nancy, I have a similar body issues...hate hot feet and it takes me forever to warm up when I am chilled. I bought an inexpensive, thin down jacket to wear on cool evenings and under a rain/wind jacket. I am not taking a poncho. I have been persuaded to take my boots and a pair of walking sandals. The boots for cool/wet days or difficult terrain....sandals for those hot days. So far, I have managed to hike up to 18 km with them on and no blisters...Tevas. I also sewed up an old silk sheet to make a liner and bought a down throw from Costco to have as a blanket..... .9 kg in total. I can wrap the throw around myself if I get chilled. So far I am at a reasonable weight. Buen Camino.

Wet feet are hard to avoid , mud is another problem entirely . We often carry a few shopping bags for this reason , the nasty throw away type from supermarkets . They won't last more than a few hundred metres at a time but they will keep your boots and more importantly your socks, clean and relatively dry . Perfect for the odd bog or stretch of filthy mud on an otherwise reasonable track .

I carry a down vest (i.e. a sleeveless jacket) I don't use it for walking, but love it in the cool evenings or even while sleeping. Being sleeveless, it is less bulky in my sleeping bag.

I agree that 2 L of water is not normally needed.
Might be a hijacking of the thread but I never understood wearing sleveless "things". If I'm cold I'm always cold in my hands, arms etc. It's even logical because of the blood vessels and such as I understand. Whenever I was wearing one of those things I was even more sweaty at my torso and still cold at my extremities. But I still see people wearing these at all ocassions and places. I'm kind of confused :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
.... do I really need a down jacket? They pack up dead small and are not heavy....

[/QUOTE]

Somewhere, I read, before we left for our June Camino in Galicia, that it was pretty common to require a fleece or warm jacket in O Cebreiro, even in summer. We took our stuffable down jackets. We wore them on 2 occasions, and it was cold and wet in O Cebreiro as predicted. So yes, having a packable lightweight jacket is a wise addition to your pack.

Hello!

Nancy
x

Hi Nancy! I walked the Camino Frances throughout October last year and live in Yorkshire so feel relatively equipped to share my thoughts on this :)

- As many others have said, 2L of water not needed. I carried 2 x 0.5L bottles and filled them from fountains along the way. Never a problem.

- I wore 2 layers, similar to yours, throughout the month: base layer t-shirt with a technical fleece on top. I often walked in the t-shirt alone once my temperature was up from walking. One particularly cold morning I added my rain jacket as a third layer. What I found especially good for warmth was my silk scarf (weighing just 5g!) which I wrapped around my neck when chilly (I also used it as a pillowcase, sarong, shopping bag and fly-guard - it was BRILLIANT!). If you run cold, a small hat or buff might be a good idea for the cooler mornings/evenings.

- That said, I did miss a nice cosy jumper of an evening - more for comfort than warmth though. If you have the space and think you'll appreciate an extra layer then do it. If you're still not sure, I echo the advice above to start without, and buy along the way if still needed.

- I think waterproof socks are a good idea if you're comfortable in them - although I wouldn't worry too much as the camino path is much more user-friendly than boggy Yorkshire! The path rarely crosses fields or moorland, instead sticking to well trodden, solid paths for the most part. But heavy rain can be an issue - I walked in trail runners and only had soggy feet 1 torrential day, although I think my waterproof trousers did assist in keeping my shoes mostly dry.

- I also brought a sleeping back (2 seasons) and was never cold at night. if i were to go again at the same time of year, I'd bring a much thinner one!

Obviously all dependent on the weather you get and your personal preferences - but my opinion is that long-term, a too-heavy bag is much worse than a couple of chilly mornings. You can buy anything you need along the way.

Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
With regard to the water, I'll agree with the majority here. I took 2 liters of water as well based on my experience of walking in higher temperatures. I did drink the 2 liters on the warm days but 1 liter was sufficient for most days. I did find that when the terrain was nasty (i.e. hills), 1 liter of salts replenishing liquid along with the fountains, bars, stores along the way helped a lot. If you're prone to leg cramps after exertion, something that replenishes the salts (i.e. magnesium, potassium) may help. It sure does me (makes the difference between agony in the middle of the night and a nice rest - still sore a bit).

As for wet, I remember standing under a tree with a Dutch couple that spoke no English (I spoke no Dutch), watching the pouring rain come down thinking that you can't get more wet than I already was. As soon as I thought that, a pilgrim with a wide smile comes trotting down the path looks at us and says "Pilgrims are invincible and waterproof" and just keeps going on. That kind of sums it up.

Hello!

Nancy
x
Hello!

Nancy
x
My down (Northface/Patagonia) folds into itself. It is a staple and if I only use it once, its worth taking. I don't worry about it getting wet. My rain gear is tried and true Gortex and a good rain cover for my pack. I hear you about cold. I can run cold and hard to warm up but years on ski patrol has given me good experience on keeping warm and my down jacket is never, never in question. Buen camino. I'll be on it next week.

Being a Canadian, I can much easier deal with cool wet weather and even snow versus 35 to 40 C heat.
It is easy to dress for cold and wet, but really, what options for dress is their when it is +40 C?
The heat is far more dangerous than the cold to deal with.
We certainly had very cool wet weather this year from St. Jean to Zubri In fact the high route through the Pyrenees was closed on April 9th this year. Still had snow on the low route as we neared Roncesvalles.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1468944467720.jpg
    FB_IMG_1468944467720.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 3
In my experience people wear the footwear they want, regardless of advice...and it's probably too close to departure to change anyway. IMO the waterproof socks add nothing if you plan at some point to take them off after sloshing bc you will then put your regular sock/foot back into a thoroughly soaked shoe/insole. If you don't mind wet shoes, take LOTS of socks to change. It rained and snowed on me (started mid April) from SJPdP to Estella (where I left to start the Norte where it rained nonstop to the Primitivo). many albergues lacked enough warm dry air (windows are kept open) for my socks to dry (as well as many pilgrims running shoes). I was grateful for my waterproof boots that did stay damp outside but inside/insoles were dry. Since you live somewhere wet, how do your feet feel after six hours walking in the wet? a nice long wet walk will tell you how many pairs of socks you'll need. Maybe more than the usually recommended 3 pairs.
I cannot imagine what's making your pack so heavy so I hesitate to suggest this but: I got tired of socks and underwear that didn't dry after washing, and bought a small travel hair dryer in Pamplona to dry them. I got rid of it in astorga when I finally found more socks I liked to allow for prolonged drying.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back