• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cold / Flu on the Camino Frances Questions regarding Sundays

TaoWay

Time of past OR future Camino
(2017), (2019)
Hello all,

I collapsed on the camino heading to Sahagún today. My walking buddy and I concluded it was dehydration related originally. I woke up this morning and had 2 cafe con leches (normally take just one) because I had low energy / bad sleep.

After landing in Sahagún I grabbed some potassium / magnesium tablets, tons of water, aquarius, orange juice, and vitamin B pills, and a nice lunch to refuel my body. After napping for 2 hours I decided to hit the town and see how I felt. I noticed my body is sweating heavy and I was experiencing unusual heat waves. (I'm typically good in hot weather, and have traveled in countries in 100F/34C+ weather.)

Recently, I had lunch with someone and witnessed them sneezing a lot throughout the day and I'm wondering if something is going around. Currently my symptoms are temperature, headache, and dizziness related.

So here's my question:

What's my best option for treatment here? I'm trying to limit my exposure to others and plan on getting a 3 night stay in Leon to recover tomorrow. Will I be able to find a doctor on Sunday? Is this even doctor worthy? What are the best spanish medicines to take?

If you're wondering, yes I do have travel insurance, but this is the reimbursement kind.

Thank you for your time and energy related to this thread.

Buen camino,
Anthony

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Anthony,

Sorry to hear about your ailment.

From here it is difficult to answer correctly evenmore because we are no doctors. I will not advice you which medication to take because again I'm not medically schooled. Really you should see a professional.

But be careful with coffee because it has a diuretic effect.

http://www.hospitalregla.es/

Hospital Regla is next to the cathedral and has ER.

Also in Leon there will be pharmacies open 24H.

Take care!

Last edited:
So here's my question:

What's my best option for treatment here? I'm trying to limit my exposure to others and plan on getting a 3 night stay in Leon to recover tomorrow. Will I be able to find a doctor on Sunday? Is this even doctor worthy? What are the best spanish medicines to take? ...

Simple answer, if you don't feel better tomorrow - see a doctor! And yes, both Sahagun and Leon have 24/7 emergency doctor coverage, the hospitalero of the place where you stay can point you in the right direction.

Also, if you don't feel 100% fit tomorrow - I would not walk on as there is little shade in the days to come!

Buen Camino and take care, SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Can sympathise. Several bad strains of flu in Europe this last flu season. Flu shots were not available in Australia till mid April two weeks after I left. Had to hole up three times to get over various bouts or recurrences and paid a fortune for private rooms in an effort not to spread germs and disturb others with my cough. And still the camino cough was everywhere including staff in accommodations, restaurants, bars and cafeterias. My advice is if you have the time then stop for a few days, preferrably in a self catering apartment where you can make hot drinks and heat soup and eat well and look after yourself. I wish I'd done that in Espinal instead of having only two nights in the hostal there.

From what you describe as your symptoms it would be more likely to be a cold than flu as they are quite different, with influenza you can't get out of bed for days and sneezing isn't usually a flu symptom. But I would see a doctor if you are concerned. Do keep up the fluids!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
could ot be two seperate issues.....

#1 dehydration. The perfuse sweating could be your body trying to cool down, now that you aor properly hydrated your sweating like you should be.

#2 could be an allergy, you are in quite a different environment than usual being in the countryside with lots of pollen about. It could have built up over a few days....

I'm no doctor, but sometimes its usefull to hear a few different things it could be, just in case you hadn't thought of them. If in doubt visit the doc or ed in a hospital.

I found myself sick in Sahagun and went to the health center. They were very kind and helpful. I followed their advice, rested and was on my way the next day. Seek professional attention and heed their advice. Best of luck.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
more like a sunstroke than an allergy. Doctor can tell.

I was happy that I went to see a doctor when I had the symptoms of a sunstroke. Even if it meant stopping my Camino Ingles 16k. before Santiago de Compostela. But health is more important.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you everyone who responded on this thread. When I arrived in Leon I continued to rest for a couple of days. My body was 100% back in action. This was totally related to the heat and dehydration. Water over coffee fixed everything.

Buen Camino!

Wonderful to hear, Anthony! Have a great rest of your Camino and enjoy feeling well :).
Faith

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.