• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cold in high places

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
I recall when I walked in May & June 2002 that we froze to death one week and burned the skin off our noses the next.
There have been a number of reports of cold, inclement weather on the camino frances with 4 seasons in one day. This from a peregrina's blog, posted this morning:

It was very cold yesterday although we had little rain. My rain jacket, gloves and beanie kept me warm. It was just freezing in the albergie last night although we had blankets to augment the sleeping bags. I wore thick sox and the heavier Icebreaker also. It is seriously cold in the Montes even in late May. There was a fall of frost in the morning.

Brrrr...

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It´s not just the high places that are chilly. It´s bloody cold out here on the plain, too, with squalls of rain now and then, and big bright patches of sun breaking through just as often. Weird weather. I hope everyone has an extra fleece layer going on.
Keep your socks dry!
REbekah

Frost in Spain in the last week of May - sheesh! The 4 seasons in one day sounds a bit like summer in bonnie Scotland though :)

But it does show the advisability of carrying one good thermal layer.

Brrrrrrrrrrrr

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think we forget that the Meseta is a high paltteau with most of the towns being at over 800m. One of the coldest nights I've spent on the camino was in the Monsatery at St Juan de Ortega (1040m) where not even Don José Maria's garlic soup could warm our freezing bones!

I'm interested to note that many posters indicate that as it gets cold they get cold and, once they get to shelter they stay cold.

As a winter warrior that's made a living moving thru some very cold areas ( above the Arctic Circle...yes Ivar...Norway) and remained, possibly not exactly toasty, but comfortable, I have some comments and suggestions.
1. A normal body temperature is about 98 degrees F/63+ C...warm in anyones book. So, how does one stay that way in a cold environment?

Here's a few suggestions:

A. Keep your core insulated (that's the chest area) wear a poly pro t-shirt under any other non-cotton article you may wear (t-shirt/walking shirt). Over that a fleece (short sleeve in temps to 40 degrees F/4.4 C...long sleeve below that), once you start to generate body heat and the air temperature goes up, remove the fleece, but replace immediately if you stop for more than five minutes. Remember, once wet, your body can't dry cotton...therefore, NO COTTON, or at least 50-50% cotton/poly pro.
B. In rain, or sleet put on a water jacket/cape that has openings at the arm pits or chest area...again, once you begin to feel really warm and before you get sweaty...ventilate.
C. Remember, 30% of your body heat vacates the body thru your head. Start your mornings with a wool cap..it works great in wet weather. You get warm...take off your hat!
D. The extremities...fingers when walking, toes and nose when sleeping...while not crucial to survival...are important for a comfortable walk, or a good nights sleep.
E. If you're going to walk in a climate where average temps are 20-40degrees F/-6 C- +4 C at night...a sleeping bag good to 40 degrees is sufficient. Here's the secret about sleeping bags...THEY WORK MOST EFFICIENTLY IF YOU'RE NAKED! Remember...your body temperature is approx. 98 degrees F...If you're already cold and you've piled on the garments...too late to keep from getting cold in the first place...getting into your sleeping bag with all that stuff on...just insulates the cold that much longer. In this case, to regain your warmth...take a warm shower...get into your usual night garments...put socks on your feet, a cap on your head and hold your nose. In a proper sleeping bag...you will get toasty warm. In fact, you may become too warm. So, 1st let go of your nose, then take off your cap and, if you're still too warm...take off your socks. Now you're ready for a good nights sleep. If the temps should drop further, reverse the order of removal.

Now, for the good, or not so good part. If someone in your party is already suffering from hypothermia and their body temperature is dropping rapidly below 98 degrees...the best way to reverse the temp drop and restore proper body temperature is to get into the bag with them...both naked, or nearly so! Works best if you're comfortable with this option. Then again, if it's a case of life or death...deal with it!

Buen got to be warm Camino
Arn

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back