Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cold on July mornings?

casterapple

Time of past OR future Camino
|
Hi all! I'm walking the Camino Primitivo starting in early July, and I'm wondering if I can get away without a jacket (other than a lightweight rain jacket). I'd rather not carry one around, especially if I don't get much use out of it.

I'm from North Carolina, but I feel like I'm pretty resilient against cold. What do you all think--is it reasonable to skip the jacket?

Thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I can't help but think that up in the mountains, if it rains, you may welcome a light fleece here and there. Now, when it's 34 degrees, you will be swaering at me no doubt!

Hi Casterapple - I did it in mid august 2012 and never needed a fleece, it was hot, hot, hot. We would start up before daylight just to beat the heat. I brought couple of long sleeve undershirts and light weight rain jacket and never needed anything else. Didn't need the rain jacket till last 100 miles. My wife and I are starting from SJPDP july 1 - maybe we will see you. Bien Camano

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Casterapple - I did it in mid august 2012 and never needed a fleece, it was hot, hot, hot. We would start up before daylight just to beat the heat. I brought couple of long sleeve undershirts and light weight rain jacket and never needed anything else. Didn't need the rain jacket till last 100 miles. My wife and I are starting from SJPDP july 1 - maybe we will see you. Bien Camano
The OP is not walking the Frances but the Primitivo.,

In july? You could probably do without. You'll be warm within 20 minutes of walking or less. If not, put on your rainjacket. It will be like your own private sauna when walking.

I can't imagine the weather on the Primitivo is all that much different that the Frances in July. Maybe a few degrees difference here and there, but not much.
Yeah, I'm sure you could easily get away without hauling around a fleece jacket. Bring a long sleeve tech shirt to layer up under your rain jacket. If you do bring a fleece pullover, get a cheap one (Wal-Mart, Old Navy, Target, etc) and if you realize you don't need it, leave it on the donativo table at an albergue.
cheers and ultreia

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
From my experience. the chances of rain are significatly higher in the first half of July. The second half is usually dry and sometimes hot. I think that an small umbrella should also considered in the first half. You can buy it on the Camino if need it.

Asturias and Galicia are not the warmest places. I was happy to have my fleece and raincoat at times. I don't think you need a jacket, but a raincoat and layers might come in handy, esp a fleece.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you all for the advice! I think I'll skip the fleece.
Be sure to walk through Pola then, not the upper route. It can change in an instant and you will start wondering how long it will take for you to look like the very clean remains of cattle an al. you will be roaming aound looking for shelter. It was no fun at all when the clouds moved in in an instant after having enoyed aperfect day.

Be sure to walk through Pola then, not the upper route. It can change in an instant and you will start wondering how long it will take for you to look like the very clean remains of cattle an al. you will be roaming aound looking for shelter. It was no fun at all when the clouds moved in in an instant after having enoyed aperfect day.
Good to know. I was planning to walk through Pola anyway--this just confirms my decision! Thanks.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back