• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cold showers

Hermanita

In reading through some of the threads, I have come across many with reference to cold showers. I am not a fan of cold showers :(
That must be hard to take after a long day's walk, when one would really appreciate a nice hot shower.
Do most albergues have hot water? Or, are cold showers to be expected on a regular basis?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Most of them do, although in the summer it might not be much of an issue. I live in extreme South Texas & this time of year, I take maybe 2 hot showers a week, the rest of the time "cold" (which means "warm" since the pipes are so close to the surface that the heat warms the water in them sufficiently for my tastes.

Kelly

if you stay at albergues that are working at capacity, you may get a cold shower. Once in a while.
They are not known to injure or kill pilgrims.

Reb.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hermanita said:
I am not a fan of cold showers :(

Don´t worry about the cold showers. When after a long day´s walk, exhausted and hungry you finally reach an albergue giving you a place to stay you don´t really care if the shower is tepid or hot. You just want to do your things, make your bed, take a shower, wash your clothes, buy tomorrow´s lunch and get something to eat before going to bed.
During my 17 days I took ONE icecold shower and the place was a CASA RURAL close to Espinal, otherwise very nice but no hot water enough to us all.
When staying at Villamayor de Monjardin, they assured us that there was enough HOT WATER to everybody. Very nice alberque, donativo close to the church. Monjardin is one of the best albergues!!!
annie

Attachments

• DSC04990.jpg
    DSC04990.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,477
anniethenurse said:
Hermanita said:
I am not a fan of cold showers :(

When staying at Villamayor de Monjardin, they assured us that there was enough HOT WATER to everybody. Very nice alberque, donativo close to the church. Monjardin is one of the best albergues!!!
annie

Thanks Annie, I guess ANY shower after a long day of walking will be great!!

I heard many good things about Villamayor de Monjardin from others. I will make a note of it on my list of places to stay.

The albergue in Monjardin I mean is the first one opposite the church and a donativo.
They turn of the lights and say GOOD NIGHT at 10 pm and everybody has to be in bed by that time. The lights are turned on at 6 am when the hospitaleros serve you breakfast. No one can leave before 6 am nor without eating the breakfast. After breakfast they return you your credentials and ask for a donation if you so wish. Very warm athmosphere.
The church had an evening prayer which we attented, very beautiful.
The hospitaleros were from France...
annie

below pictures of the hospitaleros who made the albergue like a home

Attachments

• DSC04996.jpg
    DSC04996.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 1,550
  • DSC04994.jpg
    DSC04994.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 1,530
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
anniethenurse said:
The albergue in Monjardin I mean is the first one opposite the church and a donativo.
They turn of the lights and say GOOD NIGHT at 10 pm and everybody has to be in bed by that time. The lights are turned on at 6 am when the hospitaleros serve you breakfast. No one can leave before 6 am nor without eating the breakfast. After breakfast they return you your credentials and ask for a donation if you so wish. Very warm athosphere.
The church had an evening prayer which we attented, very beautiful.
The hospitaleros were from France...
annie

below pictures of the hospitaleros who made the albergue like a home

Annie
Thanks for the additional information, and for sharing the photos. It really sounds like a nice place to stay. I like the idea that no one leaves without breakfast!! That sounds like a treat from what I have read about sometimes going for the better part of the of the day before finding food.

falcon269 said:
You are not permitted to get up before 6 a.m. in Ruitelan, either. They will wake you up with "Ave Maria" at the appropriate time. Breakfast is served, but not mandatory.

Thanks falcon this sounds good too. I like the idea of waking up to Ave Maria, its one of my favorite musical pieces.
But what about the showers?? Hot water?? that will tip the scales :D

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
there are definitely hot showers in Ruitalin - I was last to arrive and still plenty of hot water. You aren't allowed up until 7am which is fantastic! The best albergue I stayed in for atmosphere and the hospitaleros are just so sweet.

Janeh said:
there are definitely hot showers in Ruitalin - I was last to arrive and still plenty of hot water. You aren't allowed up until 7am which is fantastic! The best albergue I stayed in for atmosphere and the hospitaleros are just so sweet.

Ruitalin seems to be very popular with many. Someone said it is always on the top 10 albergue list.
Is there such a list? And if so, where does one find it?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I just returned from the Camino and I remember taking cold showers in three different areas..
1) Estella's municipal Albergue
2) Hontanas municipal
3) In Pedrouzo/Arca.. the municipal behind the post office. In fact, that one had co-ed showers with no shower doors. So, all in all, a bad experience.

And when you are camping in a farmer's field or on the sports ground, enough water for a stripwash is good enough. Especially if you have to carry it from the cemetery tap or wherever. A tip.Have your shower while you are still hot from walking, it will feel wonderful even if cold. Oh, and please if you are in a refuge think of the people in line behind you and don't soak under the shower, just enough to wash off the soap. Leave some water and time for the others :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hermanita said:
...Ruitalin seems to be very popular with many. Someone said it is always on the top 10 albergue list. Is there such a list? And if so, where does one find it?

You can work in that list. It's not difficult to do that.

¿Would you include in that list Monte do Gozo? ¿No? ¿Why? Because is enormous. OK. So, try to find small albergues. So, if possible, in little towns, where the guides don't talk about the beginning or the finishing of an etapa.

And, ¿what about the private albergues? ¿Are the best? Not in my opinion. Just a building with some beds.

I would add to that list little albergues where the most important is to help the pilgrim to be OK, to rest, to enjoy the place, to help him to speak about the journey.

I suggest Cizur, Grañon, Tosantos. Manjarin, why not? And Ruitelan. The new one in Santo Domingo de la Calzada (against my first rule). Corcubión. Herbón (Camino Portugués). Zenarruza (Camino del Norte). Puente Duero (Camino de Madrid). Tantos albergues ... lovely.

Buen Camino, choose your best places to sleep.

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain

Where there is no hot water, the choice is cold shower or no shower. Some days I chose the former, some the latter. The "no shower" choice is not fatal to pilgrims either, especially if your day has not been too strenuous.

One recommendation: if you are among the first pilgrims in the albergue, be considerate and make your shower VERY short. Long, hot showers are a luxury that you can enjoy when you get home.

lynne

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.