• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cold/Wet Weather Packing List

Urban Trekker

Happy Trails
Time of past OR future Camino
English Camino (2013)
Portuguese Camino (2014)
French Camino (2016)
Way of Saint Francis April 2017
Does anyone have a packing list/recommendation for a mid April thru May French Camino. I'm worried about over packing/thinking for my next camino. Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I would also be interested to hear what people have to offer as I'll be going late March through to early May. I just looked at a site that shows projected weather for each calendar year - I got to it via another site which was at: http://www.caminodesantiago.com.au/camino-websites/. Looks as though the weather could be quite cold (not surprisingly). I'm opting for (I think):
a layer of superfine merino (2 tops)
1 vest (also superfine merino)
a fleece jacket (not too thick)
a raincoat or poncho against the cold
peaked cap
scarf
gloves
2 x long travel trousers
1 x a pair of shorts or one of the trousers has zip off legs to make shorts
1 x thermal leggings (not sure about this)
2 pairs of thick socks (possibly with some inner socks too although I haven't worn those yet)
minimal underwear
one packtowel
a lightweight shawl or sarong-like thing (to and from shower, also used for meditating)
a sleeping bag
silk inner
diary and pen (yes, may get tossed due to weight - will see when it's all said and done)
my well worn in boots
lightweight sandals for non-walking time
blistex for blisters
personal toiletries
probably my camel-back water holder
some bags to carry and keep gear dry
iphone
point-and-shoot camera (more waterproof than my phone and less expensive to replace than my phone if it gets wrecked!!)
gaiters (maybe ????? - some people really recommend them although surely if its so wet and muddy that you're getting your legs all wet from the path then the water's most likely already running down your legs from the raincoat or poncho anyway??)
2 lightweight walking sticks (I'm a walking stick chick!)
money and passport

Would love anyone's thoughts.
Cheers, Sue

Hi Sue - I always take merino leggings because they weigh very little, are warm and also double as pajamas. It can get really cold when you stop walking and having leggings to put on at night is a must for me. But I would not take 2 pairs of travel pants, plus shorts. That is one pair too many. Take one pair of walking pants, and something to wear while they are being washed; either the shorts (you can wear leggings underneath - very fashionable in the Australian bushwalking scene) or another pair of long pants. But not both.

I wear walking sandals so the gaiters would be useless to me. Otherwise it looks fine. Where you are likely to add sneaky weight is in the toiletries bag. I try to avoid anything that contains liquid because it weighs so much.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Sue - I always take merino leggings because they weigh very little, are warm and also double as pajamas. It can get really cold when you stop walking and having leggings to put on at night is a must for me. But I would not take 2 pairs of travel pants, plus shorts. That is one pair too many. Take one pair of walking pants, and something to wear while they are being washed; either the shorts (you can wear leggings underneath - very fashionable in the Australian bushwalking scene) or another pair of long pants. But not both.

I wear walking sandals so the gaiters would be useless to me. Otherwise it looks fine. Where you are likely to add sneaky weight is in the toiletries bag. I try to avoid anything that contains liquid because it weighs so much.

Thanks so much Kanga - that is great advice and yes, leggings under shorts highly popular here. Re toiletries, I'm thinking just some face cream, toothpaste/brush/floss, tiny tube of paw paw cream.

Sadly I don't have a crystal ball or supercomputer to hand so how about
Wait until a few days before you go: if cold-ish forecast, I'd prefer just 2 merino tops (can always wear both at once) over fleece; if rain forecast, Goretex pac-lite or equivalent jacket
Obviously if you have something like a skiing balaclava and light woollen gloves then worth bringing - no need for bulky things to protect from potential Spanish cold

An Altus type raincoat (or rain jacket) at least! March through April to early May you can count on rain at some stage - and possibly cold rain. An Altus can be bought in SJPDP or Pamplona for about 40euros @Sue - Katoomba Snowgums - and they are much better than any poncho for sale in Australia. Ordinary ponchos blow round too much and allow rain in through the side openings - really only good with a jacket underneath. I personally won't wear a jackets any more - it's a pain to take on and off (requires removing pack each time) and I get too sweaty in them. Not that the Altus is perfect, far from it, but its the best raingear I've tried so far. Mine is the old fashioned type, a bit heavy but really waterproof, very long so it covers at least my knees, no under colar drip, covers pack well, easy to hang off the pack to pull on and off quickly. But that's me, some people prefer a jacket.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I see nowhere in the list about packing rain pants. On my CF I Dithered about adding these to my list, in the end I relented and took them along, I also had a poncho as well that was fairly long. I did not have a great deal of rain, just 3 days continuous and I have to say I was really glad of the rain pants, not only did they keep my lower half dry but also warm. Later in the journey I changed to a rain jacket, IMHO much better than the poncho, even considering the on and off fiasco.
Whatever you do don't discount rain pants out of hand.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Everything above is sage advice. But I offer two qualifiers:

1. Layering is a good replacement for single-purpose items. Keeping cold OUT is as good as keeping heat IN.
2. Warm and wet is good. Cold and wet is always bad.

Many folks find that a full zip fleece, over a long sleeve polyester/nylon/synthetic shirt, and all under a wind resistant water resistant outer layer (parka) is a valid sandwich scheme for keeping heat in and wet out. You will still get soaked from perspiration, but that is warm. it is the layering a movement that is key to comfort and safety here.

I usually do my Caminos from April to June, as I like the new flowers and green fields. However, those of you who have done this know that you are likely to have some sort of precipitation almost every day. Also, you WILL encounter snow at elevations over about 700 meters.

After much experimentation, and mailing several boxes of extra stuff to Ivar in Santiago, my clothing kit has stopped varying after three Caminos. The list below can be used about 10 months of the year, at least IMHO. I exclude January and February, simply because I have less knowledge of these periods.

My layer-planned outer wear consists of (from the skin out):

Upper:
  • Underarmour (or similar) short-sleeve synthetic polo / golf shirt. (1 worn + 2 packed)
  • North Face long-sleeve, full-front zip 100 Series Polar Tech fleece with collar (no hood) (x1)
  • Marmot long-sleeve windproof and water proof rain parka, with hood and LONG pit zips (x1)
  • Sea-to-Summit Siliconized Nylon poncho. Covers everything except my lower legs. (x1)
  • Outdoors Research ventilated "Swift" ball cap. Fine for casual wear and great for become a "bill" under a poncho. AND
  • North Face lightweight mesh-ventilated "bucket style" sun hat with wide brim and neck-cord, a must on windy days.
I now carry a compressed, synthetic fill, insulated vest for evening wear, or as an added layer (over the fleece) in the event of a weather emergency. Compressed it is about the size of a very small orange (smaller than a fist). It weighs about 450 gm.

I also carry a folded, foil emergency blanket for ultra-emergencies, or encountering an injured pilgrim who needs rewarming - FAST. It is the size of a packet of cigarettes and about as heavy. But, I have seen these foil blankets save lives. So, point taken...

In one, rear hip pocket of my pants, I also carry a Buff, for neck and head protection. In 2014, I found that this also worked great as an expedient compression bandage (packet of tissues held in place by the Buff) on my head.

Note: I fell over a fence with my rucksack on. Memo to self: (a) if you need to hop a fence, you ARE going the wrong way; and (b) remove rucksack BEFORE attempting to hop said fence...duh!?!?

Lower:
  • Microfiber liner socks, navy blue, black or dark grey (hides stains) (1 worn + 2 packed)
  • Merino wool "Smart-Wool" ankle height hiking socks (1 worn + 2 packed)
  • Keen Targhee II Gore Tex lined, "waterproof" mid-high hiking boots (with prescription orthotic insoles)
  • Exofficio boxer shorts (the loose fit kind) (1 worn + 2 packed)
  • 100 % Nylon, windproof and water resistant, cargo-style hiking pants, with zip off legs. (1 worn, 1 packed)
  • Nylon web belt with money-belt feature. I prefer the zip money belt to a "gut pouch / wallet." (x1)
My pants have a second, vertical zip to allow removing wet and muddy lowers without having to remove boots. I can wash the lowers separately or rinse in any puddle or body or water that is available and they dry in about one-hour after wringing. Just FYI, they are "Sahara" model slacks from REI in the US.

I do not use gaiters because: they are added weight, and my nylon zip-off lowers serve the same function and can easily be removed for washing. Also, you do not lose a lot of heat from your lower legs. So, once you get used to having wet pants legs, there should not be a problem.

Finally, I carry a liter / quart sized zip lock bag containing my "cold weather kit." In this bag are:
  • a lime yellow (day-glo) synthetic head beanie, for when a Buff and ball cap simply are not enough; and
  • a pair of microfiber "runner's gloves" from my local discount store (Target or Walmart). Champion make a good line of these.
The hat is to retain body heat. The gloves are to facilitate using my poles in cold weather. I have both bright line-yellow and grey colors. I flip a coin to determine which I take.

I prefer synthetic fibers to natural fibers because they:
  • insulate when wet (so does wool),
  • are relatively lightweight when wet (not so with wool),
  • do not stink when wet (wool does), and
  • dry relatively fast (not so with wool).
I understand and respect that many pilgrims will prefer natural fibers. I find that, excluding cushioning for my feet, wool does not provide the same utility or value as does synthetic fibers.

Having sorted the clothes I wear, I am now struggling with everything else. My ongoing experiments are with various methods for toting all this stuff. I started with a 48 liter rucksack in 2013, and again in 2014, and 2015. For 2016, I am trying to get it down to a 35-liter rucksack. The more volume you have, the greater the tendency for stuff to fill that void. Plus, excepting dead space, EVERYTHING weighs something...

My latest find, based on a Forum recommendation is a set of Ribz front bags. In test fitting and loading they appear to work very well. We shall see....

I hope this helps the dialog.

No doubt, if there was a fleece version of a kitchen sink, you'd bring that as well!!

I daresay that if I lived in Florida rather than the UK, I might have a different view of what cold was

One thing I would mention from walking in April/May was that the relative coolness in the morning lasted only an hour or two until the sun normally appeared - so adding a light wind/rain jacket might be enough on top of a merino top - if I were going in winter, I'd probably bring my ultralight but warm top that weights 180g

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Looks pretty good to me. Here some of my thoughts:

1 vest (also superfine merino)ome of /a fleece jacket (not too thick) - either or
1 x a pair of shorts or one of the trousers has zip off legs to make shorts - keep the long trousers and leave those at home
1 x thermal leggings - take them!
2 pairs of thick socks (possibly with some inner socks too although I haven't worn those yet) - take the thinner ones also
minimal underwear - max three undies and two bras, one if you are less 'endowed'
one packtowel/a lightweight shawl or sarong-like thing (to and from shower, also used for meditating) - ditch the packtowel, the sarong can double as a towel
silk inner - never bothered to take one
diary and pen (yes, may get tossed due to weight - will see when it's all said and done) - keep it!
gaiters - never bothred with them, but I do take rain trousers that go down over the top of my boots

Buen Camino, SY

I would also be interested to hear what people have to offer as I'll be going late March through to early May. I just looked at a site that shows projected weather for each calendar year - I got to it via another site which was at: http://www.caminodesantiago.com.au/camino-websites/. Looks as though the weather could be quite cold (not surprisingly). I'm opting for (I think):
a layer of superfine merino (2 tops)
1 vest (also superfine merino)
a fleece jacket (not too thick)
a raincoat or poncho against the cold
peaked cap
scarf
gloves
2 x long travel trousers
1 x a pair of shorts or one of the trousers has zip off legs to make shorts
1 x thermal leggings (not sure about this)
2 pairs of thick socks (possibly with some inner socks too although I haven't worn those yet)
minimal underwear
one packtowel
a lightweight shawl or sarong-like thing (to and from shower, also used for meditating)
a sleeping bag
silk inner
diary and pen (yes, may get tossed due to weight - will see when it's all said and done)
my well worn in boots
lightweight sandals for non-walking time
blistex for blisters
personal toiletries
probably my camel-back water holder
some bags to carry and keep gear dry
iphone
point-and-shoot camera (more waterproof than my phone and less expensive to replace than my phone if it gets wrecked!!)
gaiters (maybe ????? - some people really recommend them although surely if its so wet and muddy that you're getting your legs all wet from the path then the water's most likely already running down your legs from the raincoat or poncho anyway??)
2 lightweight walking sticks (I'm a walking stick chick!)
money and passport

Would love anyone's thoughts.
Cheers, Sue

Nice one Sue. I'd like to add a heart full of love, a pocket full of adventure and faith in the Holy Spirit

I see nowhere in the list about packing rain pants. On my CF I Dithered about adding these to my list, in the end I relented and took them along, I also had a poncho as well that was fairly long. I did not have a great deal of rain, just 3 days continuous and I have to say I was really glad of the rain pants, not only did they keep my lower half dry but also warm. Later in the journey I changed to a rain jacket, IMHO much better than the poncho, even considering the on and off fiasco.
Whatever you do don't discount rain pants out of hand.
Hi Waka,

If you check the packing list I added on my earlier post you will find rain pants. They are worth their weight in the pack for two reasons as you said, they can be worn for water resistance or for warmth.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
OK, First guys don't wear leggings, at least in the states. Like I said, I think I'm over thinking my needs for my April/May camino. I have done the English in May of 2013, a lot of people got rescued on the Napoleon because of snow, and the short Portuguese in Sept/Oct 2014. Both were wet and cool with early morning frost. So, here's my list:

short sleeve T shirts 2
long sleeve T shirts 2
long sleeve shirts 2
convertible pants 2
under shorts 3
shorts for modesty at night 1
socks wool 3
Down fill ultra lite vest 1
Fleece zip up 1
ultra lite wind and water proof jacket 1
biker sleeves light and heavy 2
silk base layer bottom 1 or 2
Adidas TerraX boots 1
Crocs 1
Ferrino Trekker poncho 1
gaiters 1
Gortex over mitts 1
Small 3 season sleeping bad 1
S to S Traveler down blanket ultra lite 1
Micro fleece towel 1
toiletries: soap, tooth paste/brush, pit stick, nail clippers, skin care product
First Aid Kit /medications for 45 days
tablet with camino guide book, camino information, Spanish translator, books, and games
wall charger and cable
Camera with cable and extra chips
Possables Bag: batteries, needles, thread, cordage, duct tape, pocket tool, eating utensils, pen, wheel book, head lamp, small flash light.
Osprey Talon 44 pack with platypus hydration bladder
pack cover
?cheap ultra lite down puffer jacket?
Everything is bagged and loaded according to daily needs. Sleeping gear on the bottom, clothes and toiletries and possables bag in the middle and cold/wet weather gear on top.
Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Last edited:
Let me add, I'm not worried about getting wet I lived in our Pacific Northwest for years, think coastal Oregon and Washington. Our Portuguese was a wet almost every day. I am worried about getting cold. Buen Camino

I have walked three caminos in April/May and have encountered more hot days than cold. But I was grateful for all my layers on many occasions. I have developed a packing list spreadsheet including all weights here and an assessment of clothes and gear here. It would be easy to cut down a bit on weight. As a first timer I obsessed about lightening my load, but now I know what I am comfortable carrying and perhaps take rather more than strictly necessary.

One trick I have discovered in rainy weather when I am wearing my waterproof jacket and beginning to get a bit hot - I just pull up my sleeves above the elbows - it doesn't matter if my arms get wet and I cool down instantly.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For me the men, call them what you want, but bring them,at that time of the year: if not leggings then long-johns ;). Extra warmth under trousers and as pjs at night. Worn in Canada under snow pants, even by men. Llbean makes them is silk as well.

I have a question regarding Sue's list: a sarong to go to and from shower? I'm afraid I don't see it the need for this as one changes in the shower stall.

I walked in September, experiencing three days of solid rain, and I'm another vote for rainpants, I loved, loved, loved, mine and used it with a rainjacket (no poncho, no gaiters).

Before I walked, I read every post ever written, and if I'd taken everything enthusiasts recommended, I'd have had to tow a car-trailer behind me to carry all the gear. Each to their own, you really need to consider, evaluate, try out things before you leave home, and make your own judgement.

P.S. I was so glad I took my lightweight puffer jacket too.....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Let me add, I'm not worried about getting wet I lived in our Pacific Northwest for years, think coastal Oregon and Washington. Our Portuguese was a wet almost every day. I am worried about getting cold. Buen Camino
Same. I love walking in the rain. If you don't like wet pants, wear shorts. Rainpants maybe if it's really cold, which doesn't seem to be a major prob in spring, but not just to keep your legs dry. Better wet than sweltering IMO.

Devon Mike

I was commenting on Sue's packing list regarding the rain pants, sorry didn't see your one.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I love the combo of Icebreaker long underwear under my Northface GTX rain pants. In April you won't worry so much about the cold but coming from just above the Pacific Northwest, I can relate to the joy of winter and spring rainy walks when you're comfortably dry. For me the long underwear are less about the warmth than they are about keeping clammy, sweaty pants from touching my legs. I also have a GTX rain hat because unless I really need to, I don't like wearing hoods on my jackets that take away all my peripheral vision and hearing. Last item for consideration is a merino wool buff. In the rain/snow/wind it is one of my absolute favorite pieces of equipment.
Have fun!

Don't much care for rain pants. Hassle putting on and taking off. I wear a long sleeve zip up poncho and calf high gaiters. Personally preference I guess..

Buen Camino

For me the men, call them what you want, but bring them,at that time of the year: if not leggings then long-johns ;). Extra warmth under trousers and as pjs at night. Worn in Canada under snow pants, even by men. Llbean makes them is silk as well.

I have a question regarding Sue's list: a sarong to go to and from shower? I'm afraid I don't see it the need for this as one changes in the shower stall.
Sorry, I didn't realize that leggings and long johns were the same

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Don't much care for rain pants. Hassle putting on and taking off. I wear a long sleeve zip up poncho and calf high gaiters. Personally preference I guess..

Buen Camino
I had a poncho too but in places such as the Meseta when it was raining or snowing all day with howling winds, the poncho just became a PITA. One day a Peregrina had a large amount of money stolen so police were stopping everyone and asking for ID. I'm sure they are still laughing to this day thinking back to the show I put on trying to get my poncho off, hold it down with one foot, balance my backpack and trekking poles while removing my ID and then reversing the process. On the plus side, two Spanish policemen know some very colourful Canadian words now...!
Good luck with your equipment choices.

I had a poncho too but in places such as the Meseta when it was raining or snowing all day with howling winds, the poncho just became a PITA. One day a Peregrina had a large amount of money stolen so police were stopping everyone and asking for ID. I'm sure they are still laughing to this day thinking back to the show I put on trying to get my poncho off, hold it down with one foot, balance my backpack and trekking poles while removing my ID and then reversing the process. On the plus side, two Spanish policemen know some very colourful Canadian words now...!
Good luck with your equipment choices.
Mine is like a big rain coat that has room for my pack. Knee length with long sleeves and elastic in the wrists. No problem with the wind so far.

No one has questions my packing list yet, so I guess I'm good to go. Pre-Camino jitters I think. Buen Camino.

An Altus type raincoat (or rain jacket) at least! March through April to early May you can count on rain at some stage - and possibly cold rain. An Altus can be bought in SJPDP or Pamplona for about 40euros @Sue - Katoomba Snowgums - and they are much better than any poncho for sale in Australia. Ordinary ponchos blow round too much and allow rain in through the side openings - really only good with a jacket underneath. I personally won't wear a jackets any more - it's a pain to take on and off (requires removing pack each time) and I get too sweaty in them. Not that the Altus is perfect, far from it, but its the best raingear I've tried so far. Mine is the old fashioned type, a bit heavy but really waterproof, very long so it covers at least my knees, no under colar drip, covers pack well, easy to hang off the pack to pull on and off quickly. But that's me, some people prefer a jacket.
Sounds great - I've been seeing lots of posts about those ponchos and I've decided to buy one in SJPDP or Pamplona. Thanks for your thoughts.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Yes, someone else mentioned this. I do meditate but I reckon my meditation shawl can double as a pillow cover and/or towel.

There are lots of lists above pretty much covering the same things. I agree with the above lists. We hike in wet all winter long in the Seattle area. We hike layered with light weight under layer Merino wool and medium merino socks. It was 38 degrees and raining that base layer is wonderful. We are attempting keep the weight of the pack maximum 15lbs including water. We have good light weight rain gear Experiment with what you have in training walks. See what works or doesn't. We are walking our Camino in March and April.

There are lots of lists above pretty much covering the same things. I agree with the above lists. We hike in wet all winter long in the Seattle area. We hike layered with light weight under layer Merino wool and medium merino socks. It was 38 degrees and raining that base layer is wonderful. We are attempting keep the weight of the pack maximum 15lbs including water. We have good light weight rain gear Experiment with what you have in training walks. See what works or doesn't. We are walking our Camino in March and April.
I lived in Auburn back when the Green River was actually green. Used to swim at Petes Pool in Enumclaw. Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Everything above is sage advice. But I offer two qualifiers:

1. Layering is a good replacement for single-purpose items. Keeping cold OUT is as good as keeping heat IN.
2. Warm and wet is good. Cold and wet is always bad.

Many folks find that a full zip fleece, over a long sleeve polyester/nylon/synthetic shirt, and all under a wind resistant water resistant outer layer (parka) is a valid sandwich scheme for keeping heat in and wet out. You will still get soaked from perspiration, but that is warm. it is the layering a movement that is key to comfort and safety here.

I usually do my Caminos from April to June, as I like the new flowers and green fields. However, those of you who have done this know that you are likely to have some sort of precipitation almost every day. Also, you WILL encounter snow at elevations over about 700 meters.

After much experimentation, and mailing several boxes of extra stuff to Ivar in Santiago, my clothing kit has stopped varying after three Caminos. The list below can be used about 10 months of the year, at least IMHO. I exclude January and February, simply because I have less knowledge of these periods.

My layer-planned outer wear consists of (from the skin out):

Upper:
  • Underarmour (or similar) short-sleeve synthetic polo / golf shirt. (1 worn + 2 packed)
  • North Face long-sleeve, full-front zip 100 Series Polar Tech fleece with collar (no hood) (x1)
  • Marmot long-sleeve windproof and water proof rain parka, with hood and LONG pit zips (x1)
  • Sea-to-Summit Siliconized Nylon poncho. Covers everything except my lower legs. (x1)
  • Outdoors Research ventilated "Swift" ball cap. Fine for casual wear and great for become a "bill" under a poncho. AND
  • North Face lightweight mesh-ventilated "bucket style" sun hat with wide brim and neck-cord, a must on windy days.
I now carry a compressed, synthetic fill, insulated vest for evening wear, or as an added layer (over the fleece) in the event of a weather emergency. Compressed it is about the size of a very small orange (smaller than a fist). It weighs about 450 gm.

I also carry a folded, foil emergency blanket for ultra-emergencies, or encountering an injured pilgrim who needs rewarming - FAST. It is the size of a packet of cigarettes and about as heavy. But, I have seen these foil blankets save lives. So, point taken...

In one, rear hip pocket of my pants, I also carry a Buff, for neck and head protection. In 2014, I found that this also worked great as an expedient compression bandage (packet of tissues held in place by the Buff) on my head.

Note: I fell over a fence with my rucksack on. Memo to self: (a) if you need to hop a fence, you ARE going the wrong way; and (b) remove rucksack BEFORE attempting to hop said fence...duh!?!?

Lower:
  • Microfiber liner socks, navy blue, black or dark grey (hides stains) (1 worn + 2 packed)
  • Merino wool "Smart-Wool" ankle height hiking socks (1 worn + 2 packed)
  • Keen Targhee II Gore Tex lined, "waterproof" mid-high hiking boots (with prescription orthotic insoles)
  • Exofficio boxer shorts (the loose fit kind) (1 worn + 2 packed)
  • 100 % Nylon, windproof and water resistant, cargo-style hiking pants, with zip off legs. (1 worn, 1 packed)
  • Nylon web belt with money-belt feature. I prefer the zip money belt to a "gut pouch / wallet." (x1)
My pants have a second, vertical zip to allow removing wet and muddy lowers without having to remove boots. I can wash the lowers separately or rinse in any puddle or body or water that is available and they dry in about one-hour after wringing. Just FYI, they are "Sahara" model slacks from REI in the US.

I do not use gaiters because: they are added weight, and my nylon zip-off lowers serve the same function and can easily be removed for washing. Also, you do not lose a lot of heat from your lower legs. So, once you get used to having wet pants legs, there should not be a problem.

Finally, I carry a liter / quart sized zip lock bag containing my "cold weather kit." In this bag are:
  • a lime yellow (day-glo) synthetic head beanie, for when a Buff and ball cap simply are not enough; and
  • a pair of microfiber "runner's gloves" from my local discount store (Target or Walmart). Champion make a good line of these.
The hat is to retain body heat. The gloves are to facilitate using my poles in cold weather. I have both bright line-yellow and grey colors. I flip a coin to determine which I take.

I understand and respect that many pilgrims will prefer natural fibers. I find that, excluding cushioning for my feet, wool does not provide the same utility or value as does synthetic fibers.

Having sorted the clothes I wear, I am now struggling with everything else. My ongoing experiments are with various methods for toting all this stuff. I started with a 48 liter rucksack in 2013, and again in 2014, and 2015. For 2016, I am trying to get it down to a 35-liter rucksack. The more volume you have, the greater the tendency for stuff to fill that void. Plus, excepting dead space, EVERYTHING weighs something...

My latest find, based on a Forum recommendation is a set of Ribz front bags. In test fitting and loading they appear to work very well. We shall see....

I hope this helps the dialog.
I just got a RIBZ pack for Christmas. I think I will like it, except I will have to do something about the outer edges of the large pockets. I will not like my arms rubbing against an over filled pocket. It will drive me crazy. I am a pretty heavy arm swinger and I need my freedom to swing! I may have to make some changes with my sewing machine. Otherwise, I think they are amazing.!

I just got a RIBZ pack for Christmas. I think I will like it, except I will have to do something about the outer edges of the large pockets. I will not like my arms rubbing against an over filled pocket. It will drive me crazy. I am a pretty heavy arm swinger and I need my freedom to swing! I may have to make some changes with my sewing machine. Otherwise, I think they are amazing.!
Wow! How come we have never seen these before on this forum?! Shame on us ;). This sounds like a good alternative to the expensive Aarn from NZ. Did I really need an excuse to spend more money on the Camino when I already own excellent equipment? Good thing after all I just had to pay a huge car repair bill. But in all seriousness, I would love to learn more about this product. Let us know how it works for you after a few walks amd about the sizing in particular since it sounds like it may be an issue.

I think I'm with you Joodle, I am an arm swinger and pole user so anything that impedes this is just an annoyance. If the Ribz bags came in one not two so it sat centrally I reckon it would be great. Interested to hear how people get on with the Ribz concept.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If the Ribz bags came in a single, central bag, it would be a belly bag. There are two bags so they are balanced. They DO come in several sizes. I bought the large size. Together, they hold 11 liters. I plan to try them sometime this year.

Hi t2andreo

I can't speak to all wool products but I have been using Icebreaker Merino wool gear (shirts, gloves, hats, underwear and long underwear) for some time and can vouch for their claim that they do not stink. To experiment with my first one (because I really didn't believe their claims) I wore the same wool t-shirt for 34 consecutive days one hot summer while I was working in the yard. Incredibly it did not have any odour! [Let me insert here I do not have any affiliation with Icebreaker] I wanted to continue to experiment a little longer however the lady of the house decided that 34 days was long enough to validate their claims! When I hand washed the shirt it was clearly dirty but again, no odour. Since then I use a lot of their products. I did try going cheap and buying a $20 shirt from Costco (big warehouse type bulk shopping outlet for any non-North Americans wondering) and it stunk within a day ending that experiment very quickly. Icebreaker products are not cheap but they are warms, light weight, dry very fast even when hand-washed and line dried and go odour free for a very long time.

I like wool, and merino wool, especially for my feet. I also wear merino wool as outerwear (sweaters / pulls). However, the rest of me just does not like wool. Being a largish fellow, I do tend to perspire when on Camino. I need the rapid drying, wicking, and warm when wet attributes of the modern technical fibers.

But everyone is different and I celebrate the uniqueness! Also the smell is relative. After a long day in the sun, most all of us are ripe anyway...:eek:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
[QUOTE="jozero, post: 367052, member: 4398... I did try going cheap and buying a $20 shirt from Costco (big warehouse type bulk shopping outlet for any non-North Americans wondering) and it stunk within a day ending that experiment very quickly. Icebreaker products are not cheap but they are warms, light weight, dry very fast even when hand-washed and line dried and go odour free for a very long time.[/QUOTE]
So glad to hear some speak about the Costco Merino. I bought the leggings and long sleeved Ts and they itch. A whole day wearing that is just not for me. Icebreaker products are much softer but alas in women's styles the sizes are too small for me, except for the undies. So the undies come on the Camino, the rest lf their products I just admire from a distance. I do think the Costco Merino will go to the local donation bin...

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Wow! How come we have never seen these before on this forum?! Shame on us ;). This sounds like a good alternative to the expensive Aarn from NZ. Did I really need an excuse to spend more money on the Camino when I already own excellent equipment? Good thing after all I just had to pay a huge car repair bill. But in all seriousness, I would love to learn more about this product. Let us know how it works for you after a few walks amd about the sizing in particular since it sounds like it may be an issue.
I found a 40% off coupon online that I used when I ordered my RIBZ pack. I am impressed with the quality of the pack. I like it because it helps hide the little jiggle bulge of the tummy that is cause by the hip belt squishing stuff. (because I certainly don't have any jiggle without the pack hip belt):p

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back