• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coldest Stages on Camino Frances for late June/July

DarcyWalksThe World

Time of past OR future Camino
What are the coldest (overnight temps) stages on the Camino Frances for Late June/All of July?
I'm debating bringing a liner PLUS a light sleeping bag for the albergues OR if I know in advance the coldest stages, maybe those are the nights I'll spend a bit more and stay in a place that has blankets.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I take a tiny down blanket that I can tuck inside my silk sleep sack. I have this one from Montbell, but for a lot less money you can buy a down throw from Costco (they usually have the in the fall) and cut it in half. This is the same blanket that is sold at Costco.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I took a lightweight sleeping bag for both of my late spring/early summer CFs. I did not bring a liner. Rather than carrying more equipment, you might consider sleeping in the layers you bring for that VERY occasional night that you find chilly.
Personally, my temperature challenges at that time of year were heat related, not cold.
Buen Camino!

I take a indoor/outdoor sleeping bag - one side is cotton fabric and the other is lightly quilted. It is good down to 15C, and I also take a silk liner (weighs next to nothing). Even if the weather is warm, there are some albergues that are always cold at night due to their stone construction, and I have never regretted carrying the sleeping bag and liner. I suspect albergues might not be supplying blankets with new sanitation rules.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Personally, I don't think it necessitates carrying a sleeping bag all that distance, a silk liner will keep you warm enough. There are usually blankets in albergues and/or you can sleep in the clothes you plan to wear the next day.
I agree a silk sleep sack is fine. If it gets cold just put on some clothes. Keep your pack light.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In 2017 I brought a sleeping bag and ditched it in Pamplona and used just a liner, never will I bothe to r take a sleeping bag again I went June July

What are the coldest (overnight temps) stages on the Camino Frances for Late June/All of July?
I'm debating bringing a liner PLUS a light sleeping bag for the albergues OR if I know in advance the coldest stages, maybe those are the nights I'll spend a bit more and stay in a place that has blankets.
Hi Darcy
I have been on Caminos in April, June, July, September and October. Maybe I am hot blooded but I have only ever carried a sleeping bag liner, On a few occasions I have used blankets supplied by the alberques but generally have been fine with just the liner
Buen Camino
Vince

I did the Camino in May/June from end to end with just a liner. Twice I used one of the sometimes supplied blankets. Saves a lot of space.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Well, you never know . . . .

This photo was taken at the municipal swimming pool on 28 JUNE 2014 in Hontanas.

It was SO cold that day the pool attendant is wrapped up in his sleeping bag on the far side, while I'm reading my book (also wrapped up) on this side.

Nobody is in the pool . . .

20140628_143421 Hontanas2.jpg

I'd not be as concerned about warmth as about the fact that albergues will likely not supply any blankets post COVID. Take a light weight bag or liner. And a pillow case!

The coldest nights in July 2019 was surprisingly the stay in the Emaus in Burgos (day temp 31C, night was 9C) and on the upper floor in the municipal in O'Cebreiro.
I brought a silk liner and used the blankets that were available in the dorms.

For the summer I would never bring a sleeping bag!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
One of the factors is simply rain and a light breeze. Was v cold from Zubiri to Pamplona one Summer.

On a previous Summer, we baked on the same route...

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Just made two first booking for the start of our Camino one SJPDP and Roncesvalles and wow prices are all levels but the base is starting for two around 120euro (175 Cdn) for two beds and some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back