• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Collapsible (Nacatin) walking poles - DIY help request

Time of past OR future Camino
C. F. (2014 & 2019) C. P. (2016). Thinking 2024 CF
I discovered these collapsible walking poles on the forum and ordered them thinking how great it would be to have poles that fit inside my backpack or suitcase. We may have been overzealous in putting them together because the top pole came away from the handle!!

I've searched online for some DIY instructions on reattaching, but have not found anything. Now turning to our Camino community for DIY help.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 4.18.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 4.18.10 PM.png
    265.6 KB · Views: 1,517
  • IMG_2140.JPG
    IMG_2140.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 62
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Do the lower sections still lock properly when they are extended? If they do, it may be that there is not need to attach that spring to anything, just get that section back into the handle. Without seeing the whole pole, I am speculating here that the spring is to tension the cable running through the lower sections that keep them from falling apart, and isn't attached to the handle. Once the section with the spring is back in the handle, adjust the length and close the flick lock. It would probably pay not to extend them any further than where it is labelled STOP!! That might have been a clue that the lower sections weren't meant to come out any further.

Hi A-C, this looks serious to me. I don't think the cable is ever designed to detach itself from inside the handle. I've just been looking at my Leki Trail Micro Varios. These have a similar speedlock system. If the cable came away from inside the handle, then I can't see any detachable parts that would allow me to take off the handle and re-attach it.
Because there is a loop at the end of the cable, I would try and unclip all the sections, so it is in travel mode, and then, when you have the max amount of free cable, try pushing the loop up into the handle and seeing if there's a hook it can grab onto. But even if it did, you'd always have the risk of it unhitching again. So really, while that might be a temporary fix, I think it's very likely you are going to have to return this to the seller or manufacturer for a replacement.

I discovered these collapsible walking poles on the forum and ordered them thinking how great it would be to have poles that fit inside my backpack or suitcase. We may have been overzealous in putting them together because the top pole came away from the handle!!

I've searched online for some DIY instructions on reattaching, but have not found anything. Now turning to our Camino community for DIY help.
Good call getting the 3 section collapsible poles. I have never had any problems getting through TSA with my Black Diamond Z Poles. As a last resort, if you can’t get yours fixed, you might give the black diamonds a try. Black Diamond Distance Z Z Poles for Trekking, Trailrunning, Hiking https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0834BMK1M/?tag=casaivar02-20

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Good call getting the 3 section collapsible poles. I have never had any problems getting through TSA with my Black Diamond Z Poles. As a last resort, if you can’t get yours fixed, you might give the black diamonds a try. Black Diamond Distance Z Z Poles for Trekking, Trailrunning, Hiking https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0834BMK1M/?tag=casaivar02-20
On Black Diamond Z poles, they're great when new but have two flaws that limit their life and reliability: 1) after a number of foldings the (sharp) edges of the sections cut into the rubber protection of the tensioning cord and eventually the cord itself - there's no way to repair a cut cord (other than permanently gluing the sections together), so be gentle with folding and avoid doing it more than necessary. Smoothing the sharp inner edges of the tube ends also should help. 2) The inserts at the insides of the joints eventually become unglued and slip out of position, sometimes completely retracting into the outer tubes - this could result in unexpected folding while under pressure, loss of balance, and potential injury. The inserts appear to be glued in place with a brittle glue, perhaps superglue, which doesn't tolerate flexing and debonds. This has happened to all joints on one set of our poles and two joints with another - Black Diamond says to re-glue with superglue but we've had more success with roughing up the surface a bit (go easy) to give the glue some bite and re-gluing with a more flexible or tough epoxy sold as a structural adhesive. (example: 3M No. 2216, JB Weld also works). Inserts that retract completely can be extracted with a bent wire, such as a bicycle spoke. Check the joints periodically.

Last edited:
There's a reason why I buy inexpensive trekking poles. I've come to see them as almost disposable. They all have that "STOP" printed indicating beyond that and you muck up the pole. I recommend perhaps painting in bright color a pre warning just before that point. Paint a band about an inch or two wide indicating you're approaching the failsafe point lol.
I've seen several pilgrims muck up their collapsible trekking poles on the Frances.

Hi A-C, this looks serious to me. I don't think the cable is ever designed to detach itself from inside the handle. I've just been looking at my Leki Trail Micro Varios. These have a similar speedlock system. If the cable came away from inside the handle, then I can't see any detachable parts that would allow me to take off the handle and re-attach it.
Because there is a loop at the end of the cable, I would try and unclip all the sections, so it is in travel mode, and then, when you have the max amount of free cable, try pushing the loop up into the handle and seeing if there's a hook it can grab onto. But even if it did, you'd always have the risk of it unhitching again. So really, while that might be a temporary fix, I think it's very likely you are going to have to return this to the seller or manufacturer for a replacement.
Thanks, Peregrino_tom beginning to think that what we thought was force perhaps is a manufacturer defect.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I do not own Black Diamond Z poles, but from what I always read on the forum, they seem to be the only poles that consistently get through TSA in your backpack.

We are concerned about taking walking poles as part of our carryon backpack. Our air carrier views them as potential weapons, like a knife. It costs too much to take as luggage so our thought is to purchase them in SJDP when we get there in early September. Are you aware of any shops who sell them in SJDP. Thanks from Canada.

Hi Shirley, when I did the Camino Frances in 2019 I shrink-wrapped my pack and checked it in. For carryon I used a fold-up backpack. When I got to SdeC I went to the pilgrims office; they have an array of packaging and shipping options. My poles arrived home before me!
By the time I arrived in SJPP, what with jet lag and two train trips, checked in and got my credencial from the Pilgrims office I was shattered. That said there is a well stocked pilgrim shop in SJPP.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I do not own Black Diamond Z poles, but from what I always read on the forum, they seem to be the only poles that consistently get through TSA in your backpack.
It must be one of those unwritten rules - like in the UK where BMW drivers are allowed to park in disabled bays; apparently.

There’s no good reason why z-poles would pass; but then there’s no real consistency to the application of the rules either.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.