• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Combating graffiti vandals.

Oztrekker

Time of past OR future Camino
I started in st jean and am currently in leon. My foot is blistered after my boots wore out.

Have completed many long distance treks longest is 1000 km, bibulmun track.
I came across two pilgrims around 21 starting to vandalise a wall, i walked past and then got the courage to go back. They saw me return and then desisted there crime.

Graffiti is becoming a real problem as it accumulates over time.

I pick up others litter sometimes, however removing graffiti is a much harder task.

I thought perhaps a white spray paint can and then a camino sticker would help cover it up.

I took some photographs.

DSC_2743.JPG Some vandals thought it a great idea to scratch off the km on a road side sign - map.

Any suggestions on how to rid the camino of this mess. I include just a couple of snaps i took today.

DSC_2739.JPG DSC_2740.JPG

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I

Any suggestions on how to rid the camino of this mess.]

I would support the local economy by visiting often, and making the Camino a valuable entity to be preserved and cared for. Let the Spanish law enforcement handle the enforcement issues in their country. Were they young Spaniards? If so, I'm just a guest, and it is not my role to be anything but a guest.

I found the Aussies poaching marron out of season on the Bibulmum track unfortunate, but I couldn't see that Australia wanted an American tourist acting as a self appointed game warden.

What immature and disrespectful behavior! I don't blame you for wanting to do something to correct it. Turning around at least showed them you disapproved.

There's a wide continuum between being a "guest" and a "self appointed warden." And you probably already know what's best for you. If you really care about this issue, I think you will find a way and don't need our approval.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It's a shame someone doesn't school them on pride in their national treasures, but alas, there are children (and immature adults) of all nationalities who feel they can leave their mark on other people's property.
When I walked one year, somebody wrote in HUGE BLACK LETTERS in spray paint, on many walls, trash cans, buildings, and memorials their graffiti regarding God, the Bible, and Right to Life. :eek: Really? that's the Christian thing to do? Write on people's property?

In Pompeii's ruins, there are many examples of graffiti still there to see.
Most I saw was more like, "Call Jane for ..." :p

Bottom line, it's been going on a looooooooooooooooooong time, and I don't think it's going to stop...:cool:

Could not believe the ones near Sarria "Om mani padme hun". What kind of meditation, buddhist practicing medition no less, is so much of an idiot that he or she would paint that along the Camino? Back to the cushion I say!

And the there are the Beatles' lyrics on garbadge cans, leaving you with that melody in your head. Nooooo!

But I do enjoy the political grafittis, and photograph them. To me they are a slice of the local culture. There is a Mafalda one in Deba, and good ones in the Barrio humedomin Leon. And one on the CF under an overpass of somesort apologising to pilgrims for such modern ugliness I think it was near the one that has been used to make Buffs on the past.

Bottom line, it's been going on a looooooooooooooooooong time, and I don't think it's going to stop...:cool:

Somewhere I have photos of graffiti from 1600, but can't for the life of me remember what trail and town. Also I photographed some very artsy modern stuff. But most of it has no redeeming qualities.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I can appreciate well done or clever graffiti but two of the photos show that someone has defaced a sign and are not graffiti. Why would you scratch out what might be important info for another pilgrim? Sounds pretty hostile and twisted.

There is a difference between graffiti and tagging. Some of the graffiti on the Camino is beautifully poetic and evocative. Some of it has been supported by the towns along the way to give the taggers a positive outlet. Art and public expression are timeless.DSCN0134.JPG DSCN0636.JPG DSCN0182.JPG DSCN0255.JPG DSCN0169.JPG DSCN0282.JPG

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
someone has defaced a sign
The dueling "x" and "j" are political movements to advance linguistic preferences, and are quite common. Until Castellano is replaced by Galician, expect "j" to be changed to "x" everywhere a rebel can reach with spray paint! Kids tag; pilgrims are rarely responsible except on mojones. A follower of Bahai' did extensive graffiti a few years ago, and the church leadership came out strongly against it. Even if no pilgrim left graffiti, the problem would persist. It is a Spanish problem, not a pilgrim problem. :)

There is a difference between graffiti and tagging. Some of the graffiti on the Camino is beautifully poetic and evocative. Some of it has been supported by the towns along the way to give the taggers a positive outlet. Art and public expression are timeless.View attachment 19605 View attachment 19606 View attachment 19607 View attachment 19608 View attachment 19609 View attachment 19610

As with everything its a matter of opinion - and in my opinion 99 percent of the graffiti along the Camino is moronic. If you graffiti someones property without the owners permission then it is vandlelism.

The dueling "x" and "j" are political movements to advance linguistic preferences, and are quite common. Until Castellano is replaced by Galician, expect "j" to be changed to "x" everywhere a rebel can reach with spray paint! Kids tag; pilgrims are rarely responsible except on mojones. A follower of Bahai' did extensive graffiti a few years ago, and the church leadership came out strongly against it. Even if no pilgrim left graffiti, the problem would persist. It is a Spanish problem, not a pilgrim problem. :)
You will find in Basque Nafarra. It is very easy to find "independenzia" scrawled on the streets and walls. It's a simple request by an indigenous population.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have been walking for 8 weeks now. Since Le Puy I found the same tag of another 'pilgrim' every day. It is a face, he puts the date with it and states he is from Switzerland. I saw his tag for example on the summit of the Route Napoleon. Must have been very easy to catch him...

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back