• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Combining coastal and central?

emaol

Hi there,

Planning to travel from Porto to Tui this September.
I have 8 days all in, from Friday to Friday however this includes flying around midday on both Fridays.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of doing, or could suggest a route that combines a day or 2 on the coastal route, particularly the boardwalks with the Central. Happy to take public transport to get me to/from both routes if there is no way marked walk to join them up.

Much appreciated

Emaol

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi there,

I have 8 days all in, from Friday to Friday however this includes flying around midday on both Fridays.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of doing, or could suggest a route that combines a day or 2 on the coastal route, particularly the boardwalks with the Central. Happy to take public transport to get me to/from both routes if there is no way marked walk to join them up.

Much appreciated

Emaol
You could walk as far as Viana do Castelo on the coastal and from there take the train to Barosellas or the bus to Balaguães where are the central route waymarkers

Walk from Porto to Matashinos along the river (10km), from Matosinhos to Vila do Conde (20km) along the ocean on the boardwalk, and then head in land towards Rates following the Central after that. All easy to follow in Brierly's guide. Make sure not to walk the aquaduct road between Vila do Conde to Rates bit the other route.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks both for the suggestions.

From your suggestions, I'm thinking to start:
Matsosinhos--> Vila de Conde (c.20k)
Vila de Conde--> Barcelos (c.30k)
Barcelos--> Ponte de Lima (c. 34.5k)
Then continue on Central......

This avoids the urban walk out of Porto and takes in some of the coast.
If I felt the last leg of 34.5k was too long, is there anywhere before Ponte de Lima you would recommend?

Thanks again

Emaol

Hi, if you are flying into Porto at midday then get a taxi from the airport to the coast (about 10kms). Turn right when you are facing the sea and you will soon pick up the yellow arrows. Get the train or bus from Tui or Valenca back to Porto the day before your flight out. You’ll then have time to explore Porto that afternoon and next morning.
Jill

Hi again. I would do:

Fri: Airport to coast, walk to Ponte de Lima or Povoa de Varzim
Sat: Esposende
Sun: Viana do Castelo
Mon: Ponte de Lima
Tue: Rubiaes
Wed: Tui
Thu: Bus or train to Porto, explore Porto
Fri: Back to airport

Jill

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks both for the suggestions.

From your suggestions, I'm thinking to start:
Matsosinhos--> Vila de Conde (c.20k)
Vila de Conde--> Barcelos (c.30k)
Barcelos--> Ponte de Lima (c. 34.5k)
Then continue on Central......

This avoids the urban walk out of Porto and takes in some of the coast.
If I felt the last leg of 34.5k was too long, is there anywhere before Ponte de Lima you would recommend?

Thanks again

Emaol
Well, my stages were shorter, in rhe 20km range, but yes, that's the idea.

Vila do conde to Rates, but you could push to Piedra Furada some 5 km further and stay in the cafe's pension. Lovely people.

Then to Barcelos and stay at Cas Fernanda.

From Fernanda's to Ponte de Lima, to Rubiaes, etc.

Hi again. I would do:

Fri: Airport to coast, walk to Ponte de Lima or Povoa de Varzim
Sat: Esposende
Sun: Viana do Castelo
Mon: Ponte de Lima
Tue: Rubiaes
Wed: Tui
Thu: Bus or train to Porto, explore Porto
Fri: Back to airport

Jill
Walk to Ponte de Lima or Povoa? Those are super far from each other. This back and forth to Ponte de Lima makes no sense to me. Plus doing this, you by pass Porto which would be a shame in my opinion.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Walk to Ponte de Lima or Povoa? Those are super far from each other. This back and forth to Ponte de Lima makes no sense to me. Plus doing this, you by pass Porto which would be a shame in my opinion.

Thanks Anemone

I'll have a look at the first day ref your comments, Jill has put the Thursday as a day for exploring Porto so happy I'll get to see the city, even if it's not for a huge time

Hi all

Just an update on what we walked and how it went:

Flew into Porto airport, took the tram to Vila do Conde and stayed in Erva Doce, very simple to do.

Walked the Littoral from the front door of Erva Doce (basically, keep the sea on your left) up through Povoa and stayed in the Juventude in Fao, just before Esposende. This is mainly on boardwalks, with the last third through parkland. had downloaded Wikiloc and familiarised myself with Christian Jensen's saved trail, so had a fairly good idea of where to go.

From Fao, walked to Viana do Costelo and stayed in Dona Emilia. A fantastic place, stay there if you can.
The walk, however, seemed to guide you around every town/village it could and not through. It became tiresome looking at people's back gardens for so much of the time.

For these first two days, there were very few pilgrims and not much camino atmosphere that you would associate with the Frances. The Portuguese along this route I found a bit distant and cold, which surprised me given the comments I had read previously on here about the warm welcomes travellers had received. "Bom Dia" and "Boa Tarde" had to be dragged out of locals who were walking past you in a small village, unusual to an Irishman used to a nod-of-the-head at the very least from everyone. The language is very hard to grasp, but the level of English is good in shops, bars etc. Waymarking was no trouble at all. Level of littering throughout these two days everywhere was, quite frankly, shocking. It looked like nobody cleans anywhere, and I'm not talking toilet-tissue stuff. We walked past dead cats, household refuse and innumerable plastic bottles and cigarette packs.

We had planned to walk the Ecovia to connect with Ponte de Lima, but circumstances changed and ended up getting a bus.

Arrived in Ponte de Lima on a Monday evening after a festival week, I think, and was shocked at the condition the river-front was in following the market. We glumly headed for food, disappointed at what had been described at the prettiest town in Portugal suffering from the same lack of care that we had seen the previous day. However, by 10pm as we left our meal, the place was transformed. By night, with the rubbish cleared and the ancient streets lit up, it lived up to its billing.

The next morning, in glorious sunshine and with a much bigger cohort of fellow walkers, we crossed the bridge into a day of fabulous camino. The stretch from Ponte de Lima is classic Frances, through countryside laden with fruit, history and fabulous woodlands & rivers.

We stayed in Rubaies, encountering a mild bit of bed-availability anxiety. Not the liveliest of spots, we ended up needing to get transport to a restaurant and back.

We finished up in Valenca, a lovely walk and a fine town to spend a little bit of time in. Again, saw some late-comers struggling to find reasonably-priced accommodation, although there was no shortage of beds.

After this, we took a train at 0830 to Porto, which takes about 2 hours and spent an afternoon and evening exploring this absolutely gorgeous city.

In all, if you are looking for a camino after the Frances, I would say we were a little disappointed by the Portuguese we chose. Certainly, the Littoral/Coastal was a little too quiet for my tastes, I liked the camaraderie of the Frances and missed the conversations with strangers. From Ponte de Lima, the numbers picked up, although those who had walked the Central from Porto bemoaned the first stretch out of Porto, which is why we chose the Coastal. The waymarking is excellent everywhere, no worries around this at all. English is spoken everywhere the camino goes, which helps if you're Portuguese is like mine and non-existent.
Food I found was much better in Portugal, although there is a sameness to the menus at the pilgrim's menu level of pricing. Portion sizes are huge, you'll certainly not starve.

Hope this helps anyone pondering whether to start the Caminho Portuguese. It is not a criticism, just an honest reflection of how our week went. Still think there is no "definitive" Portuguese walk, each of the 3 parts we went on has it's positives but there is an element of picking and choosing still to be done by the individual.

Emaol

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back