• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

combining the coastal /interior routes ?

robbocopa

Time of past OR future Camino
camino france (may,june 2008)
Hi,
First timer on this forum
My wife and I are looking to walk from Porto to Santiago mid May
any suggestions for when to turn inland ?
cheers Rob

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm considering not turning inland. Just blundering along the Coast as far as I can. I presume others have done it but as yet I haven't started investigating.
Welcome to the forum, best of luck with your investigations.
And it's time for my first 'Happy New Year'.
Regards
Gerard

You can walk from Porto along the Douro river and Atlantic ocean to Matosinhos and Vila do Conde and from there head inland on the central route to São Pedro de Rates and on to Barcelos, Ponte de Lima and Valença do Minho to Spain.
Or head on alongside the coast to Viana do Castelo and Caminha and follow the Minho river to Valença

Or take the ferry in Caminha to a Guarda in Spain and follow the coast to Vigo and there head inland to the central route in Redondela. From there you can be in 3 or 4 days in Santiago
We walked both caminhos, the central one and the coastal one

Bom caminho

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
As Albertinho said, there several options and I'm not sure there is a bad choice. I walked the coast until Caminha and really enjoyed it. A friend walked the coast to Vigo and I'm sure he would recommend it, too. It may depend on how much company you want. The coast will be quieter than the Central route.

Hi
Would these connecting ways be marked?
Michelle

Hi
Would these connecting ways be marked?
Michelle
Yes all routes I mentioned are well marked.
If you like company , choose for the first one and head for the central route.
If you like to walk alone ,go for the coastal, but keep in mind that some parts of the coastal it is better to walk in company if you are a woman alone,

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for info....we are 2 female cyclists. I guess we'll be fine. I think we will turn inland at Caminha.
Michelle

Thanks for info....we are 2 female cyclists. I guess we'll be fine. I think we will turn inland at Caminha.
Michelle
Okay ! If you turn inland at Vila do Conde, stop at casa da Fernanda in Vitorino de Piães (between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima)
The best privat albergue north of Porto ! See picture. We are there now !
Read the recent topic casa Fernanda here on the forum and see all references !

Bom caminho
image.jpeg

Both are beautiful Caminos.I don't believe there are any security issues on theCoastal.
Given the choice, the coastal just wins it!
"Utreia et Suseia"

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I've walked both the traditional inland route as well as the coastal. This summer I will be leading a tour group of Grandparents and Grandchildren on the Coastal from Matosinhos to Vigo. Both routes are fabulous, in fact I will say the Caminho Português is my favorite route to Santiago.
Arlène

I'm considering not turning inland. Just blundering along the Coast as far as I can. I presume others have done it but as yet I haven't started investigating.
Welcome to the forum, best of luck with your investigations.
And it's time for my first 'Happy New Year'.
Regards
Gerard

I walked all the way along the coast last summer. If you want any information you can send me a pm. Or just ask. It was my first camino and I loved every inch of it!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
Okay ! If you turn inland at Vila do Conde, stop at casa da Fernanda in Vitorino de Piães (between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima)
The best privat albergue north of Porto ! See picture. We are there now !
Read the recent topic casa Fernanda here on the forum and see all references !

Bom caminho
View attachment 23006
thanks i reckon thats the go

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes all routes I mentioned are well marked.
If you like company , choose for the first one and head for the central route.
If you like to walk alone ,go for the coastal, but keep in mind that some parts of the coastal it is better to walk in company if you are a woman alone,

I really had no problem walking alone. I met several other pilgrims on the way and in the albergues, even on the variante Spiritual.:)

I walked all the way along the coast last summer. If you want any information you can send me a pm. Or just ask. It was my first camino and I loved every inch of it!!
Thanks for that. I'll keep it in mind for when I get organized.
Regards
Gerard

I'm planning my first Camino going solo, Portuguese Way probably starting in Valenca, would this be inland or coastal start? Sept 2016

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I will be walking the coastal route in June 2016. Can you give me an idea of weather you encountered? Would a silk bag liner be enough? I want to travel very light and don't want to take any warmer items I won't need.

I stayed on the coast to Vigo in July this year.
Very well marked! It seemed to have been freshly and carefully done.

Good albergues available. Nothing second rate on the coast to Vigo.
Smaller crowds until you head inland after Vigo.

There is a small white guide available in the books stores in Porto.
A previous thread on this subject describes the guide.

I'm planning my first Camino going solo, Portuguese Way probably starting in Valenca, would this be inland or coastal start? Sept 2016

Valenca and Tui are on the main Central route.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What was weather like? I will be walking in June and we are taking the costal route.

Just the thread I needed today. I will be walking from Lisbon in early June. Very much looking forward to as much coastal walking as possible.

Thanks ya'll,
Simeon

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I will be walking the coastal route in June 2016. Can you give me an idea of weather you encountered? Would a silk bag liner be enough? I want to travel very light and don't want to take any warmer items I won't need.

I walked early July and only had a bamboo liner. Most of the times it was too hot to sleep in it, but then I used it as a blanket. All the albergues I've slept had blankets in case you needed them.
I only had rain for one day, and it was more like a drizzle. I used my lightweight runners jacket and it kept me dry enough. The long sleeve shirt I brought I only used once.
Hope it's useful information for you.

What was weather like? I will be walking in June and we are taking the costal route.

The weather was great! Because you walk that close to the ocean, there's always a cool breeze to keep you from overheating. This was one of the reasons I chose the coastal route, and I worked out great for me.;)

Sounds good. Thank you all for your info. I can't wait to get started.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked early July and only had a bamboo liner. Most of the times it was too hot to sleep in it, but then I used it as a blanket. All the albergues I've slept had blankets in case you needed them.
I only had rain for one day, and it was more like a drizzle. I used my lightweight runners jacket and it kept me dry enough. The long sleeve shirt I brought I only used once.
Hope it's useful information for you.
Very helpful!! Thanks for the information.. buen camino!

Hi Rob and other and thanks for the good ideas and advice
Am also a first timer planning to travel from Porto and turn inland at some point. Also coming from NSW in May, coincidentally Rob, so may see you both at some point! Coincidence or budget airfares from down under?? Who knows?
Am glad to hear is people have found it ok on their own.
Hope weather wont be too cold in May and early June either, 19sy69.

Hi,
cheers Rob
Hi Rob
My husband and I are planning to leave Porto around the same time. Also plotting where to turn.
Hi,
cheers Rob
hi Rob
My husband and I are departing Porto 15 may. Weather dependant we will do at least 1 day of the coastal route. Looks like vila do conde on the first night. Up till now I was thinking we would turn there but the more I read the more there are recommendations that the coastal walk is not to be missed. But in the mix we do want to spend a night in Barcelos and 2 nights in Ponte de lima.
If anyone could tell me where the best place to turn it would be hugely appreciated. So very excited!
Thanks
Trish

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Rob
My husband and I are planning to leave Porto around the same time. Also plotting where to turn.

hi Rob
My husband and I are departing Porto 15 may. Weather dependant we will do at least 1 day of the coastal route. Looks like vila do conde on the first night. Up till now I was thinking we would turn there but the more I read the more there are recommendations that the coastal walk is not to be missed. But in the mix we do want to spend a night in Barcelos and 2 nights in Ponte de lima.
If anyone could tell me where the best place to turn it would be hugely appreciated. So very excited!
Thanks
Trish
Take motice that walking the coastal detour out of Porto to Vila do Conde is 30 kms on your first day.

If you want to stay in Barcelos at least you should turn inland at Vila do Conde.
Why stay two days in Ponte de Lima ? It is a nice small town which you may have seen in a couple of hours.
Better stay two days in Barcelos and take the bus to Braga, 20 km away , very interesting medieval town and the famous world heritage Bom Jesus do Monte church.
And.. In your itinerary you miss the best place on the entire caminho. casa da Fernanda to stay the night.. :confused: 18 kms from Barcelos and from Fernanda 15 kms to Ponte de Lima. Give Fernanda a call on beforehand. Beds are limited and everybody likes to be there.+351 914 589 521. Fernanda is a privat house, lodging up to 10 pilgrims , donativo .
Advise anyway is to stay in Ponte de Lima for the night because the next day you will face the Labruja ,mountain, the highest point on your caminho , partly an off road path.

Last edited:
Take motice that walking the coastal detour out of Porto to Vila do Conde is 30 kms on your first day.

If you want to stay in Barcelos at least you should turn inland at Vila do Conde.
Why stay two days in Ponte de Lima ? It is a nice small town which you may have seen in a couple of hours.
Better stay two days in Barcelos and take the bus to Braga, 20 km away , very interesting medieval town and the famous world heritage Bom Jesus do Monte church.
And.. In your itinerary you miss the best place on the entire caminho. casa da Fernanda to stay the night.. :confused: 18 kms from Barcelos and from Fernanda 15 kms to Ponte de Lima. Give Fernanda a call on beforehand. Beds are limited and everybody likes to be there.+351 914 589 521. Fernanda is a privat house, lodging up to 10 pilgrims , donativo .
Advise anyway is to stay in Ponte de Lima for the night because the next day you will face the Labruja ,mountain, the highest point on your caminho , partly an off road path.
Thank you so much for your advice Albertinho

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back