• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coming back to complete or start again?

BonitaHolland

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting 3rd Sep 2016
Hi everyone, last year I walked carrying a back pack staying in hostels from SJDPP to Leon and then had to stop and go home due to Plantar Facilitis which was incredibly painful and frustrating. It's taken until now (4 months later) to be able to walk for more than an hour without pain. I'm gradually building my walking up again.
My question is this should I
A. Resume from where I left off
B. Start again
I wanted to feel the accumulation of days and steps from start to finish .... so I'm tempted to begin again in SJDPP. However I'm concerned that my feet will stop working again at the same point.... and I'll never get to Santiago. But if I start in Leon I'm not sure it feels right to me... I'll feel new and fresh and out of step somehow and I'll miss that lovely setting off feeling at SJDPP.... so your opinions please?
Also I set up at the start of September last year- I won't do that again (too busy) so it'll be an end of July start for me.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That is such a personal decision and I believe you are the only one that can answer that. If you start again in SJPdP and are unable to finish you will probably be very disappointed in your decision of starting in SJPdP. If you start in Leon you may have some regrets too. I think you are the only one that can arrive at the answers and maybe even not know the answer until you are done. Three to six weeks of walking/thinking/praying feels right to me and more important than the distance.

Now that I have walked a few caminos I take a much more leisurely and relaxed approach. My first camino I was very hard on myself and set goals that I couldn't begin to articulate; looking back I would not have changed a thing. Looking forward I really like the leisurely and relaxed approach too.

I'm not sure that helped at all but it was good for me to think about; thank you for that.

Good luck with your decision and I hope you continue to improve and get stronger.

Buen Camino.

Mike

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I suggest that you start where you left off in Leon. You can always go back a third time if you feel like you want/need the SJPP to SdC experience. What makes you think July will be less busy? I thought summer was the busiest, no??

I suggest that you start where you left off in Leon. You can always go back a third time if you feel like you want/need the SJPP to SdC experience. What makes you think July will be less busy? I thought summer was the busiest, no??
I too, agree starting your Camino in Leon is a good idea since you are asking opinions. It's very easy to get to, and you will still be able to enjoy a variety of beautiful landscapes before you complete your journey in Santiago.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The walk from Leon is by no means a short stroll--it's a good 2 weeks from SdC, and over a couple of biggish bumps in the landscape. As you're just recovering from injury, see how it goes by taking this more manageable bite. If all goes well, you can plan another, longer, walk.
One piece of unsolicited advice is to take great care about the weight you carry. This can make the difference between injury-free or painful walking.
Ultreia and buen camino!

Funny, I'm in the opposite situation. Last year, I walked w my daughter from Leon to Finiesterre (due to limited time) and now I'm aching to get back to "start what I finished"... Starting in SJPP and getting as far as I can in 3 weeks. The Camino definitely pulls us back. One thing I can say is that Leon was a lovely place to start. The walk up to O'Cebriero was breathtaking... As was the walk back down. I imagine every stage has its own beauty.

Must agree pick up where you stopped. I walked with a fellow from Sweden who had broken his leg past Pamplona then crawled a good 2k before being found. He did not start where he left of but went back to SJPDP. I think the memory was just too traumatic. As his recovery required 3months in hospital & 2 years before Imet him in SJPDP. He has walked 2 full Caminos the last with his wife. Whatever you decide it will be a blessing.
Keith

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
... Also I set up at the start of September last year- I won't do that again (too busy) so it'll be an end of July start for me.

Sigh, you will be disappointed, July/August are THE busiest months on the Camino due to school/university holidays. Buen Camino, SY

I had to finish my first Camino attempt in Leon as my husband had a bad accident in the Picos mountains that meant I had to rush to Oviedo hospital. I struggled with what to do as you are but decided to resume from Leon. It was a wise decision that allowed me to finish and then add on a few days to Finisterre and Muxia which were wonderful days of walking alone away from the crowds. It was a different feel to my first attempt and to be honest I didn't gel with a "Camino family" in the way I felt I did first time but reflecting on that it's probably that it takes a while to form that family and I broke away at a point where it had really cemented. When I returned it again took a while to form but by Santiago I "felt the love again" of a wonderful group of people. Starting from a point where fewer start is different- not quite that wonderful feeling of excitement that is so visible on the faces of those leaving St Jean very morning!! BUT I would have been so incredibly disappointed if I had been unable to finish so if I were in your position I would definitely start from Leon- and I would bus out to avoid walking thru the city outskirts too! I wish you well!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Bonnie! Great to see you're thinking of going back again! I think starting from Leon would be a good idea. It's very different terrain especially after Astorga and such a beautiful Walk into Galicia. Then you have time to go to Finisterre and Muxia at the end. Best of luck!

Wonderful to hear that you are progressing along your Healing Camino and focusing on returning to Spain again. I wish you well in your ongoing rehabilitation.

It seems to me from your post that you are weighing up the experience of a long pilgrimage against that of completing your Camino and reaching Santiago. All complicated by the unknown of how your feet will hold up to day after day of walking.

I can understand the dilemma as I've had to abandon two long walks that I later returned to - one due to injury and one to a death in the family. In both instances I returned to the point where I had stopped my journey. For me it was an easy decision to step back onto the path where I had left it but I did take a day each time to orientate myself and get the 'feel' of the walk and the days and landscape that had preceded it again.

I would recommend that you take a day in Leon before you set off to rediscover your pilgrim soul - in the morning catch the excited energy of those setting off and in the evening share a meal and savour the conversations of weary but satisfied travellers as they recount their day. In between wander about this beautiful city and you'll find yourself gradually regaining the sense of all those days that went before. All the frustrated months and healing effort in between will no longer matter. Trust me.

Oh - and I'm with @Viranani: do take great care with the weight you carry even if initially you have your pack sent on until you find your feet again.

Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Bonnie - how brave you are! Plantar Facilitis is truly debilitating but there you are, working at getting fit and planning your return!! Bravo!!
Reading through your opening post again it seems that you have answered your own question - you want to start at St Jean again, the only thing holding you back being the fear of a return of the injury ... well.. that would happen, were it going to happen, if you start somewhere else too, wouldn't it?

Could be good, were you to go back to St Jean, to give yourself more time - if that is possible - so that you can walk less each day .. and, as you know the possible problem I am sure that you will be doing exercises and so on along the way ... best fit footwear for you .. have you thought of getting professional help to fit insoles shaped specifically to your feet?

I wish you well, wherever you start from - brave and positive pilgrim that you are! - Brio!!

I feel that whichever your choice is ... you will have done more than 99.999% of the earth's population. Don't be so hard on yourself. Injuries happen and people need to stop. I know someone who can only do 10 days a year of walking the Frances because of her job constraints, but the most important thing is ... she is doing it. Just like those with carrying the small day packs who are thought of as cheating the walk. The point is, they are doing it. Buen Camino !!! :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, Bonnie,
In 2009 I was in similar situation but had to stop earlier in Logrono. In 2011 I returned to SJPdP and start again. I'm glad that I did so because the accumulation of days is very important to me too. I can walk shorter ways or two-three days tours where I live but when I go to Spain I really want to feel the accumulated distance and routine. This way I can really go very far mentally. So I would encourage you to start in SJPdP especially if you have the time for whole CF.
But if you decide to continue from Leon and feel that it wasn't enough once in SdC there are still some shorter legs like Muxia/Fistera, Ingles or even Portugues.

Anyway Ultreia!

Hi, Bonnie,
In 2009 I was in similar situation but had to stop earlier in Logrono. In 2011 I returned to SJPdP and start again. I'm glad that I did so because the accumulation of days is very important to me too. I can walk shorter ways or two-three days tours where I live but when I go to Spain I really want to feel the accumulated distance and routine. This way I can really go very far mentally. So I would encourage you to start in SJPdP especially if you have the time for whole CF.
But if you decide to continue from Leon and feel that it wasn't enough once in SdC there are still some shorter legs like Muxia/Fistera, Ingles or even Portugues.

Anyway Ultreia!
Hi Bonnie, I find good value in all of the opinions expressed since your original post...both the "yin and yang". Like Mike Savage said, in the end it's all up to you. Maybe all the wonderful comments here will help bring clarity in making your decision.

Maybe all the wonderful comments here will help bring clarity in making your decision.

Whenever you're called on to make up your mind,
and you're hampered by not having any,
the best way to solve the dilemma, you'll find,
is simply by spinning a penny.

No — not so that chance shall decide the affair
while you're passively standing there moping;
but the moment the penny is up in the air,
you suddenly know what you're hoping.

-- Piet Hein

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

-- Piet Hein
Wow, so true!!!
Thank you for posting this. You really made my day :)

-- Piet Hein
That is such an awesome little poem! Thanks for sharing.

Hi everyone, last year I walked carrying a back pack staying in hostels from SJDPP to Leon and then had to stop and go home due to Plantar Facilitis which was incredibly painful and frustrating. It's taken until now (4 months later) to be able to walk for more than an hour without pain. I'm gradually building my walking up again.
My question is this should I
A. Resume from where I left off
B. Start again
I wanted to feel the accumulation of days and steps from start to finish .... so I'm tempted to begin again in SJDPP. However I'm concerned that my feet will stop working again at the same point.... and I'll never get to Santiago. But if I start in Leon I'm not sure it feels right to me... I'll feel new and fresh and out of step somehow and I'll miss that lovely setting off feeling at SJDPP.... so your opinions please?
Also I set up at the start of September last year- I won't do that again (too busy) so it'll be an end of July start for me.
Hi
My husband and I have walked from Burgos to SDC first, then from SJPDP to Pamplona on a separate trip. We are doing Pamplona to Burgos in a May, driving to SDC and waking from SDC to Muxia. Save your feet and continue where you left off is my advice.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I got severe plantar fasciitis when I was preparing to go on the camino. It was from doing practise walks and spending whole days at work wearing my walking boots. I ended up dumping the boots before I'd even left home and doing the camino in trail runners with an extra wide toe box. The first two weeks of walking cured my plantar fasciitis and it's never returned. So before responding to your query, my question for you is have you got new footwear?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In late July 2015 I started the Frances at SJPDP. Made it to Viana before nuclear blisters and chronic anxiety forced me to throw in the towel. In the six of days of walking I lost 5kgs and I had a blister the size of a golf ball just below my ankle which became septic, meaning that the first two weeks back in Blighty was spent on antibiotics and unable to wear shoes. The anxiety continued manifested as debilitating agoraphobia.
This past weekend I booked a one way ticket to Paris...in late July I'll be starting again from SJPDP.

In late July 2015 I started the Frances at SJPDP. Made it to Viana before nuclear blisters and chronic anxiety forced me to throw in the towel. In the six of days of walking I lost 5kgs and I had a blister the size of a golf ball just below my ankle which became septic, meaning that the first two weeks back in Blighty was spent on antibiotics and unable to wear shoes. The anxiety continued manifested as debilitating agoraphobia.
This past weekend I booked a one way ticket to Paris...in late July I'll be starting again from SJPDP.
i wish you the best on your return. Blisters are definitely worth getting educated on the care in order to maintain the journey. I fixed many blisters for others. Had a lot of years fixing them.
Keith

While walking in April/May 2014, we met quite a few French men, women and couples and an Italian Lady and also an Irish one only walking a two weeks period during their vacations/time off. They returned each year to the point they left off to eventually complete their Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yay for you @Ian Afloat. It's always better the second time round. Though at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I do hope you have changed your footwear. :)
Buen camino

Yes, I'm in the "make sure you change your footwear" crowd, too. Because I have had plantar fasciitis and it is unbelievably painful - I was almost carried into the podiatrist's office. Mine was also cured, with a change of footwear, and orthotics for a short while. I've never had it back but I'm sooooo careful now to get footwear with a last that suits my foot.

As to where you start? I don't think any choice is a bad one. Enjoy!

Yay for you @Ian Afloat. It's always better the second time round. Though at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I do hope you have changed your footwear. :)
Buen camino
Thanks. Yes I shall be wearing trail shoes instead of the Saloman boots I wore last time. Up until my last day of walking I was managing my feet quite well...and then it just went very wrong. Lessons learned hopefully.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks. Yes I shall be wearing trail shoes instead of the Saloman boots I wore last time. Up until my last day of walking I was managing my feet quite well...and then it just went very wrong. Lessons learned hopefully.
Very wise choice. I hope you have a wonderful Camino @Ian Afloat and don't forget that Santo Iago watches out for all pilgrims. ;-)

I got severe plantar fasciitis when I was preparing to go on the camino. It was from doing practise walks and spending whole days at work wearing my walking boots. I ended up dumping the boots before I'd even left home and doing the camino in trail runners with an extra wide toe box. The first two weeks of walking cured my plantar fasciitis and it's never returned. So before responding to your query, my question for you is have you got new footwear?
Yes I've replaced my footwear with trail shoes and ditched my boots (which had served me well for many years of doing one day walks or up and down volcanoes over a 24 hour period, but I'd never walked week after week in a straight line before)

Last edited:

€60,-
In September all the locals were saying that it'd been relatively empty in July/August....

Make a little ritual to restart....go to the farthest point you walked, stop some seconds in meditation and then make a great, emphatic stride. Ask somebody to take a photo of the moment, and post it with the title: "A very small step for humanity, but a really big step for a pilgrim".:)
I did that in the middle of the old stone bridge of Leon (for the same reasons), but I did not think of the photo in the moment...

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back