• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coming from Australia, only 2 weeks to walk

holhum

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning for Leon to Santiago June 2019
I may have a 3 week window to travel from Australa and do just a 16-18 day walk. I have my heart set on the Frances route, I would love some beautiful scenery and I do not want to rush....even though I can't do the whole thing I want it to be a peaceful and reflective time for me. I would like to (one day) do Pamploma to Santiago....with only 2 and a bit weeks to walk do I do eg a section like Pamploma to Leon (?) or start somewhere much closer and get all the way to Santiago. I should be able to come back in 2-3 years and do 'the rest'. Not sure when I will be able to go....maybe June.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If it is important to you to arrive this time in Santiago - León would be a starting point to consider.
If it isn't - start where you want to and walk until you need to go home and come back for the remaining bit.

Buen Camino, SY

I've always lived in forested places and the meseta made quite an impression on me. But I don't know how much it would appeal to you if you have lived in open, drier areas in Australia. Do you think you would like hills or plains more? What do Aussies think would be the section to do?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Astorga to Santiago is quite nice, and very do-able in that time frame. Going from Leon is also very do-able.

What sort of distances can you cover per day. That is what will determine your starting point. 20km a day is a common distance that anyone with some fitness should be able to walk. More is also very achievable.

Without knowing what your average distance is per day, its pretty hard to offer you a good starting point.

@holhum ; you do not tell us when you are commencing your Camino. This is important - even though you are a fellow Aussie, walking the Meseta (Burgos to Leon) in July would not be enjoyable. If you are walking (virtually) anytime between May and Sept then I agree with SY that commencing in Leon, Santiago is doable without causing any extra pain. You will see some of the greener parts of North-West Spain and experience the life in the albergues. Buen Camino:)

If peace and quiet, and beautiful landscape is important to you I would stay away from the last 100 km. Why not start in Saint-Jean Pied-de-Port and see how far you get. Leon Burgos at a relatively easy pace no doubt. And then you can come back and pick up where stopped.

Buses and trains, and taxis from smaller towns, are easy to catch to get you where ever you will need to catch a flight from.

Also, if peace and quiet is important, aim for late April to late May or Mid-September to the end of October. Even on those dates the last 100km into Santiago will likely feel like a Los Angeles highway.

Hi holhum,
I can personally recommend Leon to Santiago for your time frame. Walking into SdC will be a highlight for you. If you have a few days left you could then continue on to Finisterre. As you live in Caloundra I reckon walking onto the beach there would hold special significance for you. Whichever route you decide on, take your time and breathe it all in. Buen Camino.

Hi Holhum, I see that you're from Caloundra, are you aware of the Sunshine Coast Camino Group?
Our next meeting is 2pm, Sunday 20th Nov. at the Community Centre on David Low Way, Mudjimba.
A brilliant group with an absolute wealth of information. Would love to see you there. Cheers, Jacki.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
OK nosy question -> So many pilgrims come from Australia to walk the caminos, I know the flight times are horrendous each way but what is the average airfare? I fly from 200+ miles south and east of Seattle, minimum 16 hours of flight time to Madrid and I've paid an average of $1275 roundtrip.

I will go for the minority opinion, assuming you want to finish in SdC with a Compostella

which would be to look at the route, walk sections that appeal to you that time allows, using train and bus between, until reaching Sarria, then walk to SdC. It doesn't matter what you do until you reach Sarria (in terms of Compostella)...then walk it all, with two sellos a day. That way, if you want to see Pamplona, or the Alto de Pardon, or Burgos, or Astorga, or the Cruz de Ferro...

the pros: you can see many places you might want to see, and skip the less interesting ones
the cons: you will be out of sync with the groups of people you meet until you get to wherever you stop using transportation (this can also be a pro if you like meeting lots of people, or don't care for the ones you are currently with)

I'm glad I 'sampled' many caminos enroute to SdC, and I also enjoyed seeing the same faces at the end of the day once I settled down and stuck to just one route.

OK nosy question -> So many pilgrims come from Australia to walk the caminos, I know the flight times are horrendous each way but what is the average airfare? I fly from 200+ miles south and east of Seattle, minimum 16 hours of flight time to Madrid and I've paid an average of $1275 roundtrip.

This year's earlybird with Singapore Airlines from Sydney to London, Barcelona to Sydney cost a little under $1600.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As to statistics - have a look at the data Johnnie Walker puts out monthly/yearly. Prices vary - it really depends on whether you want to go direct (into Paris - start in St Jean; or Madrid and start in Pamplona or points west) then with Emirate Airlines $1645-1900 AUD are good prices. If you are a frequent flyer they send out "special" deals. Other airlines - via Singapore / Bankok / Hong Kong (& mainland China) also offer good deals but often result in 4-6-8-12 hour stop overs either Westbound or Eastbound. Direct flight times Syd-Mad 25 hours (including the time on the ground in Dubai).
But despite these trials the Camino (all of them) remain popular with Aussies.

Last edited:
I've always lived in forested places and the meseta made quite an impression on me. But I don't know how much it would appeal to you if you have lived in open, drier areas in Australia. Do you think you would like hills or plains more? What do Aussies think would be the section to do?
I'm not big on open/dry landscapes, and I have worked out that I will probably travel in late Sept or early March, if that alters your advice?

Last edited:
Astorga to Santiago is quite nice, and very do-able in that time frame. Going from Leon is also very do-able.

What sort of distances can you cover per day. That is what will determine your starting point. 20km a day is a common distance that anyone with some fitness should be able to walk. More is also very achievable.

Without knowing what your average distance is per day, its pretty hard to offer you a good starting point.
I am not that old and OK fitness, but I think 20km a day or 25 max would be best for me.

Hi Holhum, I see that you're from Caloundra, are you aware of the Sunshine Coast Camino Group?
Our next meeting is 2pm, Sunday 20th Nov. at the Community Centre on David Low Way, Mudjimba.
A brilliant group with an absolute wealth of information. Would love to see you there. Cheers, Jacki.
That sounds great! Didn't know there was a group locally. Yay!

OK nosy question -> So many pilgrims come from Australia to walk the caminos, I know the flight times are horrendous each way but what is the average airfare?
I usually do a Aussie to Europe return trip once a year.
Never paid more than A$1200.
As a enthusiastic traveller I do keep a regular view of airfares. At least once or twice a week. I usually book 3 or 4 months in advance.
I do not regard the flight times as horrendous. Takes only a day to get to Europe. And there is a myriad of interesting places to stopover on the way there and back.
Regards
Gerard

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@holhum - please? Is there any reason why your avitar photo has your head pointing to the left rather than to the top?? If its deliberate - great; otherwise it just bugs me!!

I may have a 3 week window to travel from Australa and do just a 16-18 day walk. I have my heart set on the Frances route, I would love some beautiful scenery

I too would suggest Leon to Santiago and then to Fisterra if you have time.

I'm not big on open/dry landscapes, and I have worked out that I will probably travel in late Sept or early March, if that alters your advice?

It is about 310 km from Leon to Santiago and at 20 km/day you have 16 days walking. Partly over the meseta which it looks you would prefer to skip at this time. So I would go with AJ's idea except to start in Astorga saving you two days walking the meseta and giving you enough time to go to Santiago and then maybe to Finisterre and/or Muxia on the ocean. Santiago to either of those towns can be done in three days and one day to walk between them. Or skip the extra hike and spend a day in Leon sightseeing, bus/train to Astorga and sightsee there a day before heading out and maybe still have time after walking to sightsee some in Santiago.

If you want to make it a pilgrimage and finish in Santiago de Compostela then, @holhum my choice would also be Astorga to Santiago de Compostela. Otherwise I'd start in SJPDP and walk until it is time to go home with the intention of coming back another day to walk the next section, and so on until reaching SDC. Then I'd think about other routes....

And, @gerardcarey where do you ever find flights for $1200? Mine have never been under $1600.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I may have a 3 week window to travel from Australa and do just a 16-18 day walk. I have my heart set on the Frances route, I would love some beautiful scenery and I do not want to rush....even though I can't do the whole thing I want it to be a peaceful and reflective time for me. I would like to (one day) do Pamploma to Santiago....with only 2 and a bit weeks to walk do I do eg a section like Pamploma to Leon (?) or start somewhere much closer and get all the way to Santiago. I should be able to come back in 2-3 years and do 'the rest'. Not sure when I will be able to go....maybe June.

We did Ponferrada to Santiago in about 13 days, about 20-25 km per day last June. A total of 210km. It was a beautiful section and included the climb up to O Cebreiro. We took a rest day in Sarria to wait for friends and it was good timing, as we'd had 3 days of rain. The rest of it was sunny and pleasant for mid June. There were some road sections, some hilly sections, many vineyards, great little villages. We met lots of Aussies on this section too. The last 2 days are through giant Tasmanian Blue Gums planted in Galicia for wood! Despite the last section being busier, there were times when it was quiet and tranquil. See my video of a walk through the Gum trees here:

@gerardcarey where do you ever find flights for $1200? Mine have never been under $1600.
1. I use Singapore as a hub as many more airlines fly thru there to Europe therefore cheaper flights.
2. Nobody flies cheaper to Singapore than Scoot, and a return with them can also be upgraded to a wider, leather seat for a reasonable A$25 each way.
I'm not positive it makes a difference but I often book thru expedia.sg pretending to be a Singapore customer as airlines vary fares depending on where the demand comes from.
Last year because I took Europe first-timers, we flew Scoot fm Brissy to Singas (stopover), then with Finnair via Helsinki (stopover) into Amsterdam.
Returned with Finnair fm Madrid via Helsinki again to Singas (stopover), then Scoot home to Brissy. (Like that Singas stopover each way)
So, I plan the Singas return to Europe first, then the Scoot flights to match.
I'm not too worried about quality (I consider aircraft to be just big buses) but I do enjoy getting a good price deal - for a couple or group they can be considerable.
Regards and good travelling
Gerard

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
1. Use Singapore as a hub as many more airlines fly thru there to Europe therefore cheaper flights....
Last year because I took Europe first-timers, we flew Scoot fm Brissy to Singas (stopover), then with Finnair via Helsinki (stopover) into Amsterdam.
Returned with Finnair fm Madrid via Helsinki again to Singas (stopover), then Scoot home to Brissy. (Like that Singas stopover each way)
So, I plan the Singas return to Europe first, then the Scoot flights to match.
I'm not too worried about quality (I consider aircraft to be just big buses) but I do enjoy getting a good price deal - for a couple or group they can be considerable. Gerard
Gerard - far too many stopovers for this little black duck. Unless I am getting a free 3-4 star hotel (as I am next April) a stopover of any longer than 4 hours (ie change of plane) is just not worth the hassle (imho).

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Holhum
Yes for just 2 weeks walking you have to make a decision. Our first camino (note not the last) we had the same dilema and after alot of thought we walked 1 week from SJPdP and then Sarria to Santiago. However in retrospect I don't recommend this as we were then out of touch with the original group and you get into a walking rhythm too.. As soon as we had finished in Santiago we knew we had to go back.

Re airfares from OZ I have just booked ex Adelaide via Dubai to london for $1600 return ..next May. Very interesting what Gerard says on prices ex Singapore...and on booking it.

Gerard - far too many stopovers for this little black duck. Unless I am getting a free 3-4 star hotel (as I am next April) a stopover of any longer than 4 hours (ie change of plane) is just not worth the hassle (imho).
You're soft mate! :):)
But then the years have sure given me some some great stories about accommodation.
But seriously the stopovers are usually optional and in the end I'm just a cheapskate looking for a deal.
Rather spend my cash on a longer time travelling than on dearer airfares and accommodation.
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Too late for us - we've bought BA. Still, I did get to use a few frequent flyer points.

Also too late for me - but then I did arrange a good deal with Emirates using FFM (in Business Class no less!!)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We did Ponferrada to Santiago in about 13 days, about 20-25 km per day last June. A total of 210km. It was a beautiful section and included the climb up to O Cebreiro. We took a rest day in Sarria to wait for friends and it was good timing, as we'd had 3 days of rain. The rest of it was sunny and pleasant for mid June. There were some road sections, some hilly sections, many vineyards, great little villages. We met lots of Aussies on this section too. The last 2 days are through giant Tasmanian Blue Gums planted in Galicia for wood! Despite the last section being busier, there were times when it was quiet and tranquil. See my video of a walk through the Gum trees here:
That might make me homesick...not that I am Tasmanian, but they are such lovely gums!

I was in almost the exact same situation as you which is why I opted for the Camino Primitivo and I am so glad I did, so much less crowded than the Frances (especially in summer) and spectacular scenery and easuily doable in 16-18 days - you will love it

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Why not do a rethink and leave the Frances until you have more time. You could easily do the Portuguese inland (or the beautiful coastal) from Porto in that time frame, have time to enjoy both Porto and SdC at each end and also obtain a Compostela. You will then be fired up to do the longer route when you can find the time. The trip from Australia is long and expensive (we know as we did the Portuguese in May from Perth). It would be disappointing to only do part of the Frances and not reach SdC as some are suggesting. Bom Caminho / Buen Camino

Keep it simple. One of the best things about walking a pilgrimage is the simplicity of it. You just...walk.
Get to Pamplona and start from there. As you walk you will get to know how far you want to do each day and where to stop. Have a good guidebook with maps. Leapfrog here and there via bus or taxi skipping over some spots as needed per your schedule. Time it so you get to Sarria on the day you need to, to reach Santiago per your schedule.
Doing it that way you will experience all the different terrain and culture the Frances has to offer. There really are no bad parts of the Frances. Don't be put off by embellished descriptions on here of the meseta section. It's no desert. No sandstorms. No sand dunes. No cactus or mirages. It's beautiful rolling hills and flat plains in farm country. It's not lonely or depressing at all.
Even the busier section around the last 150 km or so isn't bad. I never had any problems with it and you do meet a lot of people. That's very cool.
cheers and ultreia

Why not do a rethink and leave the Frances until you have more time. You could easily do the Portuguese inland (or the beautiful coastal) from Porto in that time frame, have time to enjoy both Porto and SdC at each end and also obtain a Compostela. You will then be fired up to do the longer route when you can find the time. The trip from Australia is long and expensive (we know as we did the Portuguese in May from Perth). It would be disappointing to only do part of the Frances and not reach SdC as some are suggesting. Bom Caminho / Buen Camino
I certainly would not suggest March for the Portuguese as the infrastructure is not as strong as other routes. Much was still closed in early May, but Sept should be fine. Each town has a tourist office to suggest accommodation on the fly or you can use an app to book ahead each day. No dry scenery on the coastal - you follow the Atlantic as far as Vigo then beautiful inland. My blog is here FYI and pics
https://twowalktosantiago.wordpress.com/

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back