• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coming from west coast of Canada - best to fly to Madrid or Paris?

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
If traveling from the west coast of Canada, what are the pros/cons of flying to Madrid and then making my way to SJPDP, versus flying to Paris?

I don't mean price - I'm thinking of which would be simpler. Timing would be next spring.

No one knows what the COVID situation will be by then, but common sense tells me that travel would be simpler if I stick to one country, and avoid France.

But other than COVID-related issues, is there anything that I might not be aware of that would make starting in Madrid or Paris a better choice? I've previously been to both cities, and don't plan on spending any time in either, so the relative delights of those two cities aren't a factor in my consideration. I'm really just focused on which of those two cities would be easiest to get to SJPDP from.

Apologies for what I'm sure if a very newbie question, but we were all new to this once, right? :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have flown into both cities to start the Camino Frances. I thought that the trip from Paris was easier because I had one single train ticket with a short connection in Bayonne, vs a train or bus to Pamplona then, if having taken the train either go to the bus station to catch the one bus per day to SJPdP or take an expensive taxi trip.

A planning tool for you:

Welcome to the Forum, and Buen Camino!

When you are inside the EU, there are few, if any, restricions. Relax.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for the link!
You're more than welcome: Happy planning! This Forum contains, most likely, the world's most important information bank on all things regarding all Caminos. Use the Search function at upper right.

Not sure about your age, but: If you have passed 60 (I am 67) you are entitled to buy a "Carta Dorada" (Gold Pass) at any railway station, prior to buying your first train ticket: It will give you 25% discount on all train travels inside Spain for a whole year: A true bargain!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I don't mean price - I'm thinking of which would be simpler. Timing would be next spring.
Hands down for simplest, especially given Covid complications, is Vancouver-Toronto-Madrid.

Air Canada has nonstop Vancouver-Madrid flights only on certain days/week. If you just pick a day and search, you might miss the non-stop flight, so you should check other days.

You can select from various flights out of Vancouver, to give relaxed connection times in Toronto. I like the overnight long flight to Madrid, and the fact that only two countries are involved.

EDITED TO ADD:
On arrival in Madrid, you still need to get to Pamplona and then SJPP. But it isn't any harder to do that, than to get from Paris to SJPP.

You're more than welcome: Happy planning! This Forum contains, most likely, the world's most important information bank on all things regarding all Caminos. Use the Search function at upper right.

Not sure about your age, but: If you have passed 60 (I am 67) you are entitled to buy a "Carta Dorada" (Gold Pass) at any railway station, prior to buying your first train ticket: It will give you 25% discount on all train travels inside Spain for a whole year: A true bargain!
Is that the case for all people - for instance those from NZ?

Is that the case for all people - for instance those from NZ?
The Tarjeta Dorada is available for everyone over 60. See this Renfe page. The discounts depend on the type of train and day of week. However, there are often special fares (available to all ages) that are less than the discounted Tarjeta Dorada fare. Nevertheless, the Tarjeta is a good deal if you intend to travel a few times by train.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Rather than flying into Paris, you might consider flying to Bordeaux…. It’s more relaxed than CDG, and there is an easy shuttle to the train that will take you to St. Jean.
I have also flown into Madrid, but not for starting in France.
If I were starting from Pamplona I’d likely choose to fly into Madrid or Barcelona…

I’ve still got a few years before 60 but thanks for the heads up on the discount.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hands down for simplest, especially given Covid complications, is Vancouver-Toronto-Madrid.

Air Canada has nonstop Vancouver-Madrid flights only on certain days/week. If you just pick a day and search, you might miss the non-stop flight, so you should check other days.

You can select from various flights out of Vancouver, to give relaxed connection times in Toronto. I like the overnight long flight to Madrid, and the fact that only two countries are involved.

EDITED TO ADD:
On arrival in Madrid, you still need to get to Pamplona and then SJPP. But it isn't any harder to do that, than to get from Paris to SJPP.
This is the direction I’ve been leaning, for all the reasons you mentioned. I think I also saw that there is a direct bus from Madrid to SJPDP which might be an option for me.

This is the direction I’ve been leaning, for all the reasons you mentioned. I think I also saw that there is a direct bus from Madrid to SJPDP which might be an option for me.
I don't think that it's a direct bus. But you can catch a bus at the airport in Madrid that will eventually get you to SJPdP

Once you are in Pamplona (or on a bus to Pamplona), you can consider yourself almost there, as there will be many other people at the train/bus station headed in the same direction.

If you book a flight direct to Spain in advance, at least you know that you can go to Plan B and start walking from Roncesvalles or Pamplona is there is some change in circumstances - for example Covid restrictions on crossing borders, or if you decide you need to save a day or more for a more leisurely walk across Spain.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Having done both, I prefer flying into Paris with a connecting flight to Biarritz/Bayonne and then a shuttle to SJPdP. No busses, no trains, simple and easy for me as I am not at my best after flying over the pond.

I also Highly recommend the Air France lounges at CDG for any layovers over a couple hours if that is your chosen airline =)

/edit This is certainly not the most economical way. While I have not run the 2021/22 numbers it usually runs a couple hundred extra.

M

Last edited:
I don't think that it's a direct bus. But you can catch a bus at the airport in Madrid that will eventually get you to SJPdP
There usually is a 3 hr. Train from Madrid to Pamplona. We used a preordered car service(taxi) for €100 from Pamplona train station. From the time we landed in Madrid at 10am., then took a taxi to Train Station in Madrid (fastest way), caught the train then took the car service, we were safely at our Hostal in SJPdP by 4:30pm.

Much nicer ride on the train. Need to factor in safety/covid issues…bus verses train. Right now we have no idea by the time you leave, what the schedules will be with the pandemic. My vote, fly on a non- stop flight directly to Madrid and get-to SJPdP. Avoid flying into FR. But you must also factor in costs, if this is a dominant issue for you?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A lot of good advice has already been provided. I would add that if you consider something other than flying into Madrid, then buy an open jaw ticket with a return from Madrid. And Air Transat has often been cheaper for me (I fly out of Montreal), though I have also used Air France and Air Canada (also from Montreal).

If traveling from the west coast of Canada, what are the pros/cons of flying to Madrid and then making my way to SJPDP, versus flying to Paris?

No one knows what the COVID situation will be by then, but common sense tells me that travel would be simpler if I stick to one country, and avoid France.

But other than COVID-related issues, is there anything that I might not be aware of that would make starting in Madrid or Paris a better choice? I've previously been to both cities, and don't plan on spending any time in either, so the relative delights of those two cities aren't a factor in my consideration. I'm really just focused on which of those two cities would be easiest to get to SJPDP from.

Apologies for what I'm sure if a very newbie question, but we were all new to this once, right? :)
We just flew into Paris a month ago and then biarritz from Vancouver. Super easy. Express bouricott has a shuttle to pick you up at the Biarritz airport and a quick 3/4 if an hour trip right into SJPdP.

Since you are still in planning stages, price out the option of flying to Pamplona and returning from Santiago. Twice, I have flown from Boston to Pamplona with Iberia and then returned from Santaigo. The price difference to, say, taking a bus or train from Madrid, was negligible. The benefit of having one ticket and one airline to deal with in case of issues and not having to get between airport and train or bus while jet-lagged was a plus. You have plenty of time to ask on this forum for others to rideshare a taxi with you from Pamplona to St. Jean (about 100 or soeuros) , if you desire, or take the bus from Pamplona in late afternoon.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I just flew Vancouver, Montreal, Frankfurt, Bilbao. I really liked entering Spain in a smaller centre. I stayed a couple of manageable days to recover from jet lag. Stayed in the Old Town, walked along the beautiful river there. Then, I took the train down to Logroño. It is northern Spain, so I am sure the excellent buses and trains could get you to your destination. I will continue to look for alternatives to major cities if cost and scheduling jive. I felt very little stress because it was all very easy. PM me if you need any other info. BTW: I went Air Canada, then in Frankfurt I changed to Lufthansa which is their partner airline. My bag was check all the way through to Bilbao.

From where are you starting your Camino? If it’s Saint Jean Pied de Port, you may fly into Paris then to Biarritz then take a shuttle from the airport (30 € or so) to SJPP.

I just flew Vancouver, Montreal, Frankfurt, Bilbao. I really liked entering Spain in a smaller centre. I stayed a couple of manageable days to recover from jet lag. Stayed in the Old Town, walked along the beautiful river there. Then, I took the train down to Logroño. It is northern Spain, so I am sure the excellent buses and trains could get you to your destination. I will continue to look for alternatives to major cities if cost and scheduling jive. I felt very little stress because it was all very easy. PM me if you need any other info. BTW: I went Air Canada, then in Frankfurt I changed to Lufthansa which is their partner airline. My bag was check all the way through to Bilbao.
PS: I flew in a one way ticket, then booked my flight home out of Madrid because of an injury and I needed to get home. I was in Leon, 2 1/2 train ride to Madrid.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

EDITED TO ADD:
The last time I walked the CF I flew into Pamplona. Of course depending on where you are flying from will effect cost and connections. I live in Mexico and my flight Puerto Vallarta-Mexico City-Madrid-Pamplona on Iberia was almost exactly cost as if I would have flown to Madrid and taken a bus or train to Pamplona and a whole lot cheaper. I ended up not starting in SJPP but in Pamplona as my daughter who was going to grad school in England at the could arrive sooner in Porto in mid December than was previously planned. Three days less on the Camino vs. 3 days more with my baby girl is no contest. Started in Pamplona and I never knew the difference!

Having done both, I prefer flying into Paris with a connecting flight to Biarritz/Bayonne and then a shuttle to SJPdP. No busses, no trains, simple and easy for me as I am not at my best after flying over the pond.

I also Highly recommend the Air France lounges at CDG for any layovers over a couple hours if that is your chosen airline =)

/edit This is certainly not the most economical way. While I have not run the 2021/22 numbers it usually runs a couple hundred extra.

M
This is my exact route traveling today from Spokane Washington. I felt this route was best for me and it gave me an excuse to fly back to Paris for a few days of sightseeing with my hubby that will meet me there.

I have flown into both cities to start the Camino Frances. I thought that the trip from Paris was easier because I had one single train ticket with a short connection in Bayonne, vs a train or bus to Pamplona then, if having taken the train either go to the bus station to catch the one bus per day to SJPdP or take an expensive taxi trip.
There are a lot of trains from Bayonne to SJPdP every day. One way ticket cost about 10 euro

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

And how much does a Gold Pass cost?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Jack;
I have traveled to Europe and the CF several times from Vancouver and I don't believe there are still direct flights from the westcoast to Madrid. All Madrid flights from Canada would leave from Toronto or Montreal. I have flown direct from Vancouver to Paris CDG and boarded the high speed train right in the airport, traveled to Bayonne, hoped on the slow SJPDP train, checked in and began the camino the next morning. We loved the whole experience!! If you choose to fly to Madrid from westcoast you are looking at an additional 2-4 hr. traveling because you will need to fly east first then to Madrid, then a flight or train or bus to Pamplona, then bus or taxi to SJPDP if you choose to start there. I'm tired just thinking of it!! We have flown to Paris, or Amsterdam, then to Madrid, took a bus from the airport to the train station or bus station, traveled to the camino location of choice and was checked in and eating dinner all in the same day!! Loved this choice also. I hate wasting my precious time!!

Buen Camino
Be blessed and enjoy!!

I would avoid Madrid and the long bus rides. Fly direct to CDG from YVR and then take a connecting flight to Bayonne. Stay overnight there and get a good sleep, and then join Martin Sheen on the short train trip - with all the expectations that this brings - to SJPP. As one is well into the day by this time after exploring SJPP and having brunch, I just went up to Orison that afternoon. Then the next day through Roncesvalles well on the way to Pamplona. Buen Camino!

We just flew WPG to Montreal to Paris to Biarritz and then the train to SJPdP. It was a long day but we connected well and were ready to start walking the next day. The flight through Paris was about 600 bucks less than flying through Barcelona which was cheaper than flying through Madrid. That changes yearly as we have found the opposite in the past.
France did not give any hassle about vaccines and accepted our Manitoba vaccine documents without a care. We still have not heard anything from the French TousAntiCovid program.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

What I’ve done twice and plan on doing again is Seattle to Paris. Take the Paris metro trains from the airport to the train to Bayonne (not too bad schlepping—you’re not bringing a 50 lb suitcase to the Camino!). In Bayonne I had an airbnb which allowed me to sleep in and then a leisurely walking tour of Bayonne—which is worth it. Then I took the afternoon train to SJPDP. Checked into the Pilgrim Office, stayed across the street at Beilari (best!), enjoyed their evening communal meal and started the Camino the following day rested and with a dozen new friends that I met at Beilari!

Paris or Bordeaux hands down.

Interesting that the starting point really makes no difference in the analysis. It boils down to how you prefer to get from arrival in Europe to the point where you want to start walking.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
- First time I did Montreal/Paris/Biarritz and then Express Bourricot to Saint Jean Pied de Port.

- Last two times I did Montreal/Bordeaux with Air Transat and then train to SJPP, quicker and a Lot less stressful.

Last edited:
Jack;
I have traveled to Europe and the CF several times from Vancouver and I don't believe there are still direct flights from the westcoast to Madrid. All Madrid flights from Canada would leave from Toronto or Montreal. I have flown direct from Vancouver to Paris CDG and boarded the high speed train right in the airport, traveled to Bayonne, hoped on the slow SJPDP train, checked in and began the camino the next morning. We loved the whole experience!! If you choose to fly to Madrid from westcoast you are looking at an additional 2-4 hr. traveling because you will need to fly east first then to Madrid, then a flight or train or bus to Pamplona, then bus or taxi to SJPDP if you choose to start there. I'm tired just thinking of it!! We have flown to Paris, or Amsterdam, then to Madrid, took a bus from the airport to the train station or bus station, traveled to the camino location of choice and was checked in and eating dinner all in the same day!! Loved this choice also. I hate wasting my precious time!!

Buen Camino
Be blessed and enjoy!!
Good point about not having a direct flight from Vancouver to Madrid. I has (wrongly it seems) assumed that there are no direct flights to Paris from here. If I can fly direct to Paris that would indeed make that route a bit simpler/quicker. Thanks!

I've flown from Vancouver for 4 caminos - 3 times to London and once to Paris. As pointed out above, it's then an easy hop over to Biarritz or Bayonne. I like to stay a night or two In Biarritz to give myself a bit of time to get adjusted to the 9 hour time difference and then take the train to Bayonne and SJPP - a very short ride (about 10 minutes to Bayonne and much less than an hour to SJPP). Flying to Madrid is longer and more complicated. Incidentally - Biarritz has a great youth hostel about a block from the train station (I'm in my 70s). A very nice breakfast is included.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back