• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coming up with threads for iconic images

Time of past OR future Camino
Us:Camino Frances, 2015 Me:Catalan/Aragonese, 2019
In another thread there was a very short discussion about places that are iconic and would have many pictures taken of them. @Viranani wrote: I thought of starting a thread to allow people to post their pictures of iconic places. It'd show us just how connected we are!

I like that idea but before it happens I suggest we organize it just a bit. We could break it down by stages, perhaps Brierley's. And each thread could have a common title and an individual sub-title, perhaps like "Iconic Images: St. Jean up to Roncevalles", "Iconic Images: Roncevalles up to Zubiri", etc. Each thread could be started off with some boiler plate to help search engines find it and suggestions as to what to add. When a new stage is added the first post could be edited to include a link to the next thread.

I like the idea that you post images that you think others will also have and the challenge is get a set.

Anybody have some ideas for the introductory text that would be useful? Any other ideas?

P.S. This was the "short discussion":
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...o-you-deal-with-technology.41158/#post-417861
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...o-you-deal-with-technology.41158/#post-417870

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was thinking of something a lot more chaotic, Rick.;)
What you suggest is great but it also sounds like a lot of work.
There are a few things you see photos of over and over, because they're 'photogenic.' And it'd be interesting to know how we all see them.
My 3 suggestions:
The lone tree on the meseta:
The Cruz de Fero:
And that very cool house with the pines just before Villafranca:

Attachments

• Fromista - Carrion de los Condes 27-3-2015 (2) (1024x682).jpg
    Fromista - Carrion de los Condes 27-3-2015 (2) (1024x682).jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Rabinal del Camino-Molinaseca (45).JPG
    Rabinal del Camino-Molinaseca (45).JPG
    273.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Ponferrada - Villafranca del Bierzo 5-4-2015 (2) (1024x682).jpg
    Ponferrada - Villafranca del Bierzo 5-4-2015 (2) (1024x682).jpg
    510 KB · Views: 23
OK, I'll go for chaos.

I don't have a match for your pictures (except a lousy snapshot of the Cruz de Fero.) Let me add two fountains, the Moorish one at Villamayor de Monjardín and the fountain of wine at Irache.
moorish-fountain-at-monjardin.jpg wine-fountain-at-irache.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hmmm not too sure about Fromista-Carrion de los Condes but can match the other two.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Then there's the fountain (singular as we took the scenic route via Linquin):

image.jpeg

And I'll add the tree (with arrow) in Triacastela:

image.jpeg

Turns out I do have a halfway decent picture of the Cruz de Ferro. And I'll add here my tree picture that matches that of @Viranani that she posted to the pictures section of the forum. And I'll top it off with a picture of the old chestnut tree in Ramil that @Wokabaut_Meri added to this thread. And yes, the pilgrims are in front of the same tree.
cruz-de-ferro.jpg trees-on-ridge.jpg old-chestnut-tree.jpg

I would definitely add this one, which I use on my blog header so it is very familiar to me. But I have recognised this same view from many pilgrims' images, at different times of year. Reaching the rise of the incline that opens up this view must be a real 'wow' moment. Between Nájera and Santo Domingo

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 8
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well, this is fun!
I didn't go past the wine fountain, but here is the well at Monjardin.IMG_7376.JPG
And another tree from Triacastella. There are some huge chestnuts there!Viduedo-Saria (86).JPG
And I can't match your pic, Magwood, because my experience of that part of the world was very different!IMG_7450.JPG

I can match a few of those...

the image at Cruz de Ferro is my daughter deep in contemplation.

Attachments

• IMG_1487.jpg
    IMG_1487.jpg
    956.8 KB · Views: 6
  • thumb_IMG_1360_1024 2.jpg
    thumb_IMG_1360_1024 2.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 6
  • thumb_IMG_1607_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_1607_1024.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 6
Bit off topic...but does someone remember this elevator leading to nowhere? Somewhere around Hontanas...very weird to say the least.

FB_IMG_1465245002663.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Nice! I like how the foreground frames that house, Magwood, and your daughter alone with the cross and her heart.
I'll have to try again and again to get that view, though...
I missed the elevator, too.
Have to go back, definitely.

Bit off topic...but does someone remember this elevator leading to nowhere?
I think I may have photgraphed that too. I was averaging 60 to 70 pictures a day and was taking pics of all sorts of things, including sheds. I lost most when my SD card snapped. Sheds and other weird things weren't backed up.

Anyway, I have two more definite icons and one that might have some matches.
Icon 1) Cuesta de Matamulas just before Hornillos del Camino
Icon 2) Refugio de Montana (Tomas' albergue)
Picture 3) Entering Pamplona
cuesta-de-matamulas.jpg refugio-de-montana.jpg entering-pamplona.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back