• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Comments on pack list?

BeatriceKarjalainen

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Finished: See post signature.
Doing: C. Levante
Here is my list https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

Can reformat it and paste it here if there is problems with the Drive-version.

Yes I know that the camera is heavy but I love taking photos and would not go there without it.

The first aid kid is a little bit heavy as well, the tapes are heavy might leave some at home.

The things marked in blue in the Google Drive list is think I don't know if I'll need asn I have som otehr comments in the file.

Love to hear your comments.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You can probably cut down on your first aid kit as there will be pharmacies along the way. If you keep it just to the basics you can always get more if you need it.

The shampoo/soap/laundry detergent is also something you can combine so that you won't need to carry three separate things, but one instead.

Beatrice,
We'll be walking at the end of Aug thru the end of September. Looking at past and current post on the forum you may not need your wool tights (unless you get cold easily). I like the moocards idea (I don't FB either). Maybe reduce your first aid kit as well. Could you do without the small plastic food container? Other than those few, I think your list looks fine. Aside from all your camera equipment, my list is a little similar.

Buen Camino!
Jessica

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
7,3 kg is fine.
...but...
there are ways to cut it down if you would like to. (the heavy items - Macabi, zip-off, rain wear?)

I used the same camera once and I found it heavy and clumsy (I brought one lens only). The picture quality was about the same than much lighter compact camera´s. It was a very rainy and cold camino so my biggest concern was to protect the camera - how to keep it dry.

The first aid kit can be cut down. There is a Pharmacy in every village and you might not hopefully need any of that stuff at all.

Solar cell charger - I like the idea of being independent but I don´t bring mine.

I use 2- 3 water bottles (500ML) - I don´t use the hydration system on the Camino Frances. The water on The Frances is safe to drink. You can fill up the bottles every 5 km in the bars (specially if you buy a cup of coffee or una cerveza they are happy to do it). The fuentes come frequently, too. There are shops in every village also. The problem with the hydration system is how to keep it clean and how to clean it?
Buen camino!
:)

Hi Beatrice,
You pack is a bit heavy, I think, two kilos more than mine.
Here's my thoughts:
I would start with leaving the rain pants at home.
They don't work with a skirt (of course) and with trousers under it might be too hot.
The macabi skirt is heavy ( I have a hiking skirt which is 150 gram).
The zip off trousers are heavy too ( if you walk in the skirt you will be carrying them in the pack everyday).
And if I were you I would walk in the sandals and leave the boots (are they really 390 gram for the pair?) at home. Then you can leave the foot cream and most of the socks too. And then you don't have to wash socks everyday. :wink:
I also carry a little box for food and its great. (Otherwise one can get chorizo and yoghurt all over everything in the pack)
I think it's good to take tape and plasters from home. Often when I bought these things abroad they turned out to be useless. The just fell off.
And you can save almost 50 gram on the towel, if you like. There's a towel (for cats) which is just 100 gram at Clas Ohlsson for just 39 sek.
I'm not sure Deet actually works with bedbugs, I thought it was for mosquitos? Am not sure.
Buen Camino

Hi Beatrice,

Nice to see your list and the care you put into it.

When exactly do you start the camino?
In the beginning of september the weather will be fine. Myself, I start september 6 on the camino Madrid. I decided to take only two shirts with even no fleece and buy things on the way if I might need them. Probably cheaper as well to buy things in Spain and gives me the freedom to only take the things I'm sure I need. There are also plenty if 'chinese shops' along the way who sell really cheap stuff which you can use for a few days before you arrive to a bigger town with a store with quality stuff if needed.

What kind of sandals do you take? They seem quit heavy. I have teva flip flops of 330 grams. I wear these all the time after arriving in albergue, can walk on it for 1-2 km's to restaurant with no problem.
Water bottle: I usually buy one bottle of water at the start of the camino which I refill all the time.
Your first aid kit seems a little overdone unless there are things you know you will need for sure for your feet. There will be plenty of pharmacies indeed and also plenty of other pilgrims who for sure will help you of needed.
There is plenty of water on the camino, I really wouldn't think the re hydration tablets will be used. Also for this, if you really experience to feel more save with them, you can buy them along the way.
The money belt is twice on your list, saves you 65 grams ;-)

I'm sure you will be fine anyway with these suff in your pack.
Buen camino!

Thanks for your comments. I'm leaving tomorrow so there isn't much time to buy more stuff.
You can probably cut down on your first aid kit as there will be pharmacies along the way. If you keep it just to the basics you can always get more if you need it.

The shampoo/soap/laundry detergent is also something you can combine so that you won't need to carry three separate things, but one instead.
How much weight can I save, they are 15 g each and 50 sheets each (using 1-2 sheets every time), if I use one pack for the whole trip it will not last for the whole way and I will probably have to buy something heavier or buy a big bottle of something and leave behind a couple of times. I could throw away their plastic containers and put the sheets in zip lock bags instead. I have carried a small bottle of shampoo/soap/laundry detergent on previous hikes and it have never weight less than 45 g.

Beatrice,
We'll be walking at the end of Aug thru the end of September. Looking at past and current post on the forum you may not need your wool tights (unless you get cold easily). I like the moocards idea (I don't FB either). Maybe reduce your first aid kit as well. Could you do without the small plastic food container?
The wool tights are out of the list together with the fleece. The plastic container will stay, I'm food allergic (lactose and gluten) so I can't live on sandwiches, pasta and yoghurt so I will have to buy/prepare omelettes, fried eggs and other stuff that is hard to put in a bag for lunch/breakfast.

I used the same camera once and I found it heavy and clumsy (I brought one lens only). The picture quality was about the same than much lighter compact camera´s. It was a very rainy and cold camino so my biggest concern was to protect the camera - how to keep it dry.

The first aid kit can be cut down. There is a Pharmacy in every village and you might not hopefully need any of that stuff at all.

Solar cell charger - I like the idea of being independent but I don´t bring mine.

I use 2- 3 water bottles (500ML) - I don´t use the hydration system on the Camino Frances. The water on The Frances is safe to drink. You can fill up the bottles every 5 km in the bars (specially if you buy a cup of coffee or una cerveza they are happy to do it). The fuentes come frequently, too. There are shops in every village also. The problem with the hydration system is how to keep it clean and how to clean it?
Buen camino!
:)
The camera stays as I bought it to bring on this trip, I don't own a compact any more. Photography is one of my main interests so carrying that extra weight in planned a long way back. I did leave the tripod and some lenses :) I put the the camera bag in a water tight bag if the weather is too bad.

Hydration system = 100 g playtup water bladder with a hose nothing else, in which way would 2-3 bottles be better? The bladder is easy to clean. I use it on all my trips and I know that if I don't have the hose next to my mouth I'll forget to drink, and the side pockets on backpacks are never easy to reach. The bladder sits behind me removable padding in the back of the backpack, it gives me easy access and a reason to take the backpack off now and then :)

The solar cell charger is out, mainly because I had some problems with it and don't have time to buy a new one.

I would start with leaving the rain pants at home.
They don't work with a skirt (of course) and with trousers under it might be too hot.
The macabi skirt is heavy ( I have a hiking skirt which is 150 gram).
The zip off trousers are heavy too ( if you walk in the skirt you will be carrying them in the pack everyday).
And if I were you I would walk in the sandals and leave the boots (are they really 390 gram for the pair?) at home. Then you can leave the foot cream and most of the socks too. And then you don't have to wash socks everyday. :wink:
I also carry a little box for food and its great. (Otherwise one can get chorizo and yoghurt all over everything in the pack)
I think it's good to take tape and plasters from home. Often when I bought these things abroad they turned out to be useless. The just fell off.
And you can save almost 50 gram on the towel, if you like. There's a towel (for cats) which is just 100 gram at Clas Ohlsson for just 39 sek.
I'm not sure Deet actually works with bedbugs, I thought it was for mosquitos? Am not sure.
Buen Camino
The rain pants are a question mark in my packing but if I wear the skirt I can always take it off If I wan't to use the rain pants and it is possible to have them on with just shorts ot nothing else. I don't know how windy it will be but sometimes it is nice to have something windproof on.

I don't know if I'll walk in skirt or trousers, I'm not prepared to travel with just one set of bottom clothing. And I don't think 348 g for the trousers are that much. I have a pair of lighter pair but the pockets are so bad on them. I like to be able to put some stuff in pockets. Like guidebook, snacks etc. What knid of skirt do you have that is so light? I have been looking for long hiking skirts all over here in Sweden and haven't been able to find any.

And yes the boots (more trainers that are a little bit higher and with a sole for hiking) are lighter then my Ecco sandals. I have special soles for the boots as I have knee and back problems and my sandals are not fitted for that but I can walk in them a couple of hours if needed for instance if I get blisters. I know from previous hikes around 1000-1500 km exactly where my feet will blister if I don't take care of them.

The towel is full size (80x140) and I decided that I wanted to be able to put it around me. Have travelled with just a small one before even as small as 20x20 cm. The one at CO is 40x80 and I'm 96 cm around my boobs :)

The deet will stay at home, there are not enough evidence that it will work some say yes some say no. I take my chances :)

When exactly do you start the camino?
In the beginning of september the weather will be fine. Myself, I start september 6 on the camino Madrid. I decided to take only two shirts with even no fleece and buy things on the way if I might need them. Probably cheaper as well to buy things in Spain and gives me the freedom to only take the things I'm sure I need. There are also plenty if 'chinese shops' along the way who sell really cheap stuff which you can use for a few days before you arrive to a bigger town with a store with quality stuff if needed.

What kind of sandals do you take? They seem quit heavy. I have teva flip flops of 330 grams. I wear these all the time after arriving in albergue, can walk on it for 1-2 km's to restaurant with no problem.
Water bottle: I usually buy one bottle of water at the start of the camino which I refill all the time.
Your first aid kit seems a little overdone unless there are things you know you will need for sure for your feet. There will be plenty of pharmacies indeed and also plenty of other pilgrims who for sure will help you of needed.
There is plenty of water on the camino, I really wouldn't think the re hydration tablets will be used. Also for this, if you really experience to feel more save with them, you can buy them along the way.
The money belt is twice on your list, saves you 65 grams ;-)

Buen camino!
I'm leaving tomorrow :)
The fleece is out. If it is cold I guess I can put layer of the other stuff and buy one if needed even if 220 g is quite low for a fleece.
The sandals are Ecco, well broken in and I have even ran a 10 km race in them :) I know they are heavy but they have good couching and works with my back/knee for a half day hike if needed.
I know that I don't drink if I don't have a hose next to my mouth. The bottles are always hard to reach in the side pocket.
I need the re-hydration tablets I I know when I sweat a lot I loose salt and get cramps, I fell on Kungsleden here in Sweden during a race and cracked my nose. Will not have that experience again so I always use re-hydration tablets/powder and water bladder instead of bottle. I usually don't bring the small bottle for mixing hydration tablet; i buy some water/soft drink and use that bottle. Throw it away and buy a new now and then but when I have one it will weight in my backpack.

I'll take some stuff out of the first aid kit but some are tape and stuff I know work on my feet for instance I don't think I will find optoplaste (elastic tape) in Spain. A tape I know works very well to prevent blisters.

The double listing of the money belt is fixed.

Hola Beatrice, If your fleece really only weighs 220gms then IMHO you should take it. We had to buy fleeces in Spain one year and they weighed more than twice that. With you on the re-hydration powders :)
Buen Camino

Hola Beatrice, If your fleece really only weighs 220gms then IMHO you should take it. We had to buy fleeces in Spain one year and they weighed more than twice that. With you on the re-hydration powders :)
Buen Camino
And the fleece is in the IN-pile again :) I have until 08:50 to morrow morning to decide :)
The re-hydration tablets will be lighter during the hike as I use them. There are 20 in the tube.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Beatrice, I won't comment on your list. But just wanted to wish you Buen Camino. I hope you have the very best trip and get those lovely shots you're hoping for. Have fun :)

Whoops I weighted the first aid bag with the head lamp in it so 76 g less without doing anything :) Will look for more stuff to remove. I have some new silicone rings to put on my problematic big toe and small toe and have no idea how durable they are. Bring 2 or a whole pack of 6. Bring them all and give and leave for someone else if I notice that they don't wear out at all.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks for your comments. I'm leaving tomorrow so there isn't much time to buy more stuff.

Hydration system = 100 g playtup water bladder with a hose nothing else, in which way would 2-3 bottles be better? The bladder is easy to clean. I use it on all my trips and I know that if I don't have the hose next to my mouth I'll forget to drink, and the side pockets on backpacks are never easy to reach. The bladder sits behind me removable padding in the back of the backpack, it gives me easy access and a reason to take the backpack off now and then :)
Hi again Beatrice and have a wonderful camino!

When it comes to the hydration system I noticed last time that several pilgs gave it away and used water bottles instead. We keep on drinking water, coffee and orange juice when ever we stop at the bars (maybe as much than 600 ml each stop). If there is a bar every 5 km then ONE bottle of 500 ml is enough FOR ME. I need 2- 3 bottles on the longer etapas. I use those hydrations soluables every morning if there is a hotday ahead.

About the weight of the clothes - my dress 130 gr, my shorts 90 gr, my trousers 110 grams, my jacket 120 gr, t- shirt 60 gr, long underwear woollen 160 gr, t- shirt (long arm) 150 gr. I prefer taking light- weight articles and then i can bring some more of them with me and dress in layers if needed. I will be gone almost 7 weeks.

So have a wonderful time in Spain and stay healthy! Maybe see you in Santiago???

Hiker wool sounds nice, haven't seen it here :-(

A large towel is a luxury we should be able to treat our self with and it could always be cut in half if you find it heavy after a while. Harder the other way :)

Buen Camino!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hola Beatrice, you're probably on your way to Spain right now, but I just wanted to thank you for sharing your packing list (it is helping me to finalize my kit) and I wanted to wish you a buen Camino. Ultreya, Maggie

Hola Beatrice, you're probably on your way to Spain right now, but I just wanted to thank you for sharing your packing list (it is helping me to finalize my kit) and I wanted to wish you a buen Camino. Ultreya, Maggie

Thanks Maggie
I'm in SJPP now and will eat some breakfast and then leave. I'm so excited.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Lycka till Bea! Om två veckor är det min tur också! :)
Tack Magnus. Jag har det helt fantastiskt. Är i Puente la Reina på min tredje dag. Svårt att hitta sovplatser dock. Fullt i Pamplona igår och idag var de 2 första härbärgena här upptagna men gott om plats på det stora uppe på berget.

Tack Magnus. Jag har det helt fantastiskt. Är i Puente la Reina på min tredje dag. Svårt att hitta sovplatser dock. Fullt i Pamplona igår och idag var de 2 första härbärgena här upptagna men gott om plats på det stora uppe på berget.
Thanks Magnus. I have absolutely amazing. Is in Puente la Reina on my third day. Hard to find beds though. Fully in Pamplona yesterday and today was the first 2 shelters this busy but plenty of room on the large rock pool.

Thanks Magnus. I have absolutely amazing. Is in Puente la Reina on my third day. Hard to find beds though. Fully in Pamplona yesterday and today was the first 2 shelters this busy but plenty of room on the large rock pool.

The large rock pool...?

I had to google that! :D:D Lol!!!
Can't stop laughing.

Large rock pool hmmm I have to talk to people at Google translate. Up on the hill/mountain.

Nice. Sounds like you have a pretty good pace going. Yeah... finding a bed is my one worry. I don't want to have to stop walking around lunchtime just to secure a bed. :( Seeing that you are able to walk a good distance despite the lack of beds makes me less worried. :)

Today I did 40 km Villamayor De Monjardín to Logorño so it is possible to go some distance. Just start quite early. It is looooovely!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.