• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Comments please on some Camino backpack candidates!

GreatDane

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF to Burgos Sept/Oct 2014, Burgos to Astorga April 2016, Astorga to SdC 2017
Due to my short torso (15.5") I've put together a list of backpacks that "should" work. All in the 30-45L range, all under 3.5 lbs. If anyone has actually used any of these on their Camino and have comments about why they worked or why they stunk please tell me!! I am looking at the following (I've already taken a few off my list after trying them on or seeing them in person) Thanks!!
  • Black Diamond Women’s Astral 40
    Granite Gear Escape 40L
    Gregory Freia 38L
    Northface Casimir 36L womens
    Arc'teryx Altra 33L Women's
    Gregory Inyo 35L
    Lowe Alpine Airzone Centro ND33+10 (*I have this one)
    Deuter Spectro AC 32L
    Mammut Crea Light 40L

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If I were you I'd pack up the one you have, take a long walk, readjusting the pack as necessary to get it comfortable....if you find it's good, then I'd stick with it and not consider any of the others!

The Lowe Alpine Airzone Centro ND33+10 is the heaviest one of the bunch!!!! That's why I'm still looking. Empty and "blindfolded" I can really tell the weigh difference (empty) between it and my husband's Osprey Talon 44L. (I do love the color of the Centro though :D )

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Aha I see.
That said......I had an Osprey that fit me perfectly and was lovely to carry (it was an Ariel 55). It was just too big and over half empty even when I was carrying gear for my daughter as well! The fact that it weighed 2kg made me consider an alternative - I ended up with a Deuter pack that is only 20g lighter than yours...and I must say I am loving it. That 600g makes a difference. Initially I got the slightly bigger one, but even that was too big so I exchanged it for a 35+10l. I tried (among others) an Osprey Sirrus 36 but it was nowhere near as comfortable - even though the Deuter weighs a little more it is much easier to carry.

Not that any of that helps you in your quest! If you discover another much lighter pack is primo I shall stick my fingers in my ears and walk contentedly with what I have :wink:

If all of the backpacks listed are similar in weight, what other factors does one consider?

First and foremost, it has to fit your body, meaning the length of your torso. Then...

Choose Low-Weight over Low-Capacity
Many people suggest to buy a pack with a lower capacity so you're not tempted to fill it, just because you can. In my opinion, there is very little risk of that; one day on the trail, and you would jettison all the extra stuff and walk with a half-empty bag. So instead of picking a bag for how many liters it does or doesn't hold, I'd pick the lightest one, period. I'd also check the weight capacity for the bag. Some of the smaller backpacks I've seen this year on the trail look unmanageable when fully loaded, as if they are too heavy for their own good when fully loaded.

Water Access:
One of the things my pilgrim-clients taught me this year is that water must be easily accessible without having to take off the pack (something I'd always taken for granted since my pack works perfectly - REI Lookout). Do these packs have a space and access point for a water bladder? If so, do you like to use a bladder (and drink through a rubber straw), or do you prefer a separate water bottle? If you will use a water bottle, can you reach it (and put it back) without assistance and without taking off your pack?

Pockets:
What exterior pockets does the pack have? Are they sufficient and convenient to store those items you will need to reach during the day on the trail? Is there a zipper pocket that can be locked, so you can use a small luggage lock to keep grabby-hands away from your medium-value items? Once the pack is fully loaded, can you get into the exterior pockets easily?

Top-loading vs. Side-loading

One of the things I love about my REI Lookout is that it is side-loading with a zipper instead of top-loading with a drawstring. That means I can lock the main compartment to keep out the opportunist thief (becoming more and more common in the albergues).

Rain Cover
You didn't mention when you will be walking, but most of the year you will want to have a rain cover for your pack. Most packs now come with one attached, tucked into a pocket on the bottom of the pack. If there isn't one, you will have to buy a separate one, for an additional cost.

Straps
Past the shoulder straps, the hip belt, and the across-the-chest strap (all standard), I'd also look for what other straps are on the bag. Is there someplace to attach your socks when you switch them out during the day for a dry pair? If you are using trekking poles, can you easily attach them to the pack when you're not using them? If you will carry a sleeping bag or mat, are there straps to attach them to the outside, in case they don't fit inside?

I hope this helps you to choose the pack that's right for YOU...since you will be the one loving it for 800 kilometers!

Buen Camino,
Nancy

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked with the Lowe Alpine Airzone Centro 45 +10 in March to April this year and I loved it. It was the heaviest pack I tried on, but over several visits to the store I spent time walking around with a number of packs loaded with 10kg. This one felt better than any of the others - I hardly felt the weight on the back. Before going to the store I had decided on an Osprey Kestral but couldn't adjust it to make it comfortable. Also tried a Deuter one specifically sized for women, with the same result. I was happy with the choice and would take it again. I wore a clip on water bottle holder, that attached to the waist strap at the front for easy access, as I preferred it to using a water bladder system, which the pack does accommodate. I also copied the Kestral's elastic thingy on the front shoulder straps fr holding walking poles when I wanted to be hands free. Easily made from heavy grade elastic and very useful.

Thanks for the comments and keep them coming!!
Choose Low-Weight over Low-Capacity:
Believe me, I am trying for as low a weight as I can while still having stays and a ventilation system!
Water Access:
I use a Camelbak now but have looked at the Platypus SoftBottle Water Bottle system. I am not flexible so I doubt if I'd ever be able to reach a water bottle in a packs side pockets anyway.
Pockets:
I'm looking for exterior pockets that will hold quick access to rain gear and snacks.
Top-loading vs. Side-loading
I prefer top loading with a floating lid plus zippered side access.
Rain Cover
Not sure whether my Camino will be spring or fall of 2014. It will be a 2-3 week Camino, not a full. If I don't get a pack with a built in cover, my husband has extras in a few sizes I can use.
Straps
I'm looking at packs that have trekking pole attachments, I'd prefer to carry my sleeping system in the pack not on and won't be carrying a mat. I'm also making sure that if the packs don't have some kind of simple lash on system, that it does have webbing where you can attach elastics later. I have found that some of the women specific packs (that I have tried on) have shoulder straps that are mounted too close together for me (where they attach to the top of the bag).

I have had similar trouble with water accessibility. I used a Vapur water bottle and attached it to the front of my pack and kept it from swinging with a piece of elastic that I sewed Velcro on each end of. The volume was 750 ml so I had two. They roll up to nothing when empty and have a screw off lid to make cleaning easy. I would use one or both depending on the day. Worked for me.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I'm under-tall as well and finally found the Osprey 38 fit, once the back was adjusted. (little did I know that there were all sort of adjustments - pays to go to a store that has people that know their products). As to the water - I didn't like the bladders, but wanted to be able to access my water easily. Found the solution on Amazon https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000GM6LWS/?tag=santiagodec0b-20
Fits almost any bottle, easy to clean too. Only take as much water as I need for that daydownload.jpg

Great Dane,

You are in America, which means that you have easy access to some of the lightest, most innovative pack designs in the world. And most of them are at least a pound lighter than what you are looking at. If you are going to spend the money on a new pack, and it looks like you are a walker as you've been to SdC before, look at the smaller cottage manufacturers: Zpacks (my favorite), ULA (my second favorite), Hyperlight Mountain Gear, Mountain Laurel Designs. Most of those will make packs for small torso size (we've got an Arc Blast for my wife that is very small). On the long distance hikes in America (PCT, CDT, AT), those are the packs you see most often, not the big commercial brands (with the possible exception of Osprey Exos, now replaced by the Levity and Lumina). Order all that you think would work, load the packs and go for a walk. I auditioned a dozen, sending 11 back (within the 30-day or so return period) and keeping the Zpack. Universally great customer service, and you get to support small manufacturing businesses in the U.S.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Great Dane,

You are in America, which means that you have easy access to some of the lightest, most innovative pack designs in the world. And most of them are at least a pound lighter than what you are looking at. If you are going to spend the money on a new pack, and it looks like you are a walker as you've been to SdC before, look at the smaller cottage manufacturers: Zpacks (my favorite), ULA (my second favorite), Hyperlight Mountain Gear, Mountain Laurel Designs. Most of those will make packs for small torso size (we've got an Arc Blast for my wife that is very small). On the long distance hikes in America (PCT, CDT, AT), those are the packs you see most often, not the big commercial brands (with the possible exception of Osprey Exos, now replaced by the Levity and Lumina). Order all that you think would work, load the packs and go for a walk. I auditioned a dozen, sending 11 back (within the 30-day or so return period) and keeping the Zpack. Universally great customer service, and you get to support small manufacturing businesses in the U.S.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo
The OP was in 2013.
Wish I had the same luxury as you of trying packs with free return. I live in Australia and I have an early Mountain Laurel Design. It’s OK but I’d like something with a little more structure. I bought a Zpack online before last year’s camino. Cost me an incredible AU$60 in postage. When it arrived, despite the fact I was in the recommended height range for that pack, it was at least 5 cm too long for my back. It was so long the top of the pack was digging into the back of my neck. It cost me an additional AU$40 cheapest slowest postage to return it to the States. I had to get an agreed extension of the refund period from Zpacks because their return period was shorter than the delivery Australia Post could promise.
Very expense mistake that I am not going to remake.
Edit: Realised this thread may just have touched a nerve and my response was a little less kind than I hope I normally am. In which case, I apologise.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Due to my short torso (15.5") I've put together a list of backpacks that "should" work. All in the 30-45L range, all under 3.5 lbs. If anyone has actually used any of these on their Camino and have comments about why they worked or why they stunk please tell me!! I am looking at the following (I've already taken a few off my list after trying them on or seeing them in person) Thanks!!

- Arc'teryx Altra 33L Women's
- Deuter Spectro AC 32L
I met several women who wore these backpacks. They showed total enthusiasms for them, beside for their outstanding sturdiness, especially for their wearability and their "respect" for the breast area.
Personally I'm a great fan of Deuter (I use a sooo comfortable Futura Pro 42).

About access to water bottles, this is the comfortable and cheap solution that I adopted (I don't like camel bags).

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.