• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Commercial Maps of Camino Inglès?

SheilaV

Time of past OR future Camino
(Inglés)
Are there any walking maps that you can buy, covering the route of the Camino Inglès? (Not internet printouts, but folding maps.)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you very much, that's very helpful. I've downloaded the Johnnie Walker guide that you recommend. I've also found an app - Wise Pilgrim Guide to the Camino Inglès - which has maps and ther useful info.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Mapas Militar (Spanish Ordinance survey maps) cover that area if you just like maps. You can mark in the Camino using @JohnnieWalker 's guide.
In the UK the maps are available from The Map Shop, Upton on Severn or via their website.

Hi - the guide works beautifully if downloaded onto a mobile device. I also have maps covering all of the route which I can send you - they will hopefully be available soon on the CSJ website. Just email me.

I must emphasise how straightforward and well signposted this route is - I promise!

Buen Camino

John
Hi John - thank you very much. I've downloaded the guide into my mobile - looks good. The maps you refer to - I've emailed you separately about this. If they're printed maps, please could you let me have details, or email if otherwise.
Yes, everything I've read confirms your assurance that the route is well signposted - it's my husband who is never truly happy until he has a physical map in his hand!
Sheila

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola

I've responded to your email. Since this comes up from time to time it might be worth us having a more general discussion about the need for maps on the Camino routes.

The well used used routes - the Via de la Plata, the Caminos Frances, Portuguese, Ingles etc follow the historically researched line of the medieval pilgrimage. We follow in the footsteps of millions of pilgrims who have gone before us. The routes have been marked by them and by their modern equivalents - pilgrims who paint the yellow arrows and local authorities who maintain the granite markers and other signs.

One of the great lessons for me was learning to give up my dependency on knowing everything that was to come and simply to follow the route from arrow to arrow. Over many, many thousands of kms walking the Camino routes I have rarely got lost and usually that happened, as in my life, when I didn't follow the arrows and thought I knew the best direction to take.

There are some exceptions of course - when routes are subject to major change or disruption. Even then local pilgrims or local authorities usually put up temporary signage. I doubt the usefulness of maps where the path of the Camino is not charted on them - it then simply changes from being a pilgrimage on the path of those who have gone before and will come in future. When recently walking from Florence to Rome in snowy conditions I occasionally used the navigation app on my phone - it was perfect. It also dispensed with the need for detailed directions to accommodation in towns.

On the well walked routes I'd advise pilgrims to have a guidebook or some walking notes, to have a sense of where you are going and might sleep that night and to trust the arrows and waymarks - in many ways they make the camino the Camino!

Buen camino

John

The guides are sufficient for walking but we don't have smart-phone apps etc. We just like maps, but didn't take them on the marked Caminos - too much weight. We don't have maps for them. Nice to look at before going in conjunction with the guide but often the village names on the maps differ from those on signs etc :).

We did take copies of the sections we needed off 5 or 6 maps we had bought for the Ruta do Mar, from Ribadeo round the coast and there we did need the bits we carried. This year, travelling by car, we had maps and they were often frustrating because of the name changes in Asturias particularly.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I love maps, but I agree that they are not necessary as an addition to a guidebook or internet site.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.