• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Common Question: Days to walk SJPP to Santiago

LynneR

Time of past OR future Camino
CF '16, '18
Hello,
I am sure that this is this a common question, so I'm embarrassed to throw it out again!
Can some of you experienced CF hikers tell me how many days it took you to complete the walk from SJPP to Santiago? And if you've done it...the walk from Santiago to Muxia?
I have looked through some old threads and can't find the answer to this common question. I am looking to book flights for the full CF. I've walked the partial CF two times, but can't figure how many days I should plan for th 500 miles. I can estimate, but I'd like to get input from those who have done it.
Thanks so much!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In 2018 I departed St.Jean on 9th September and arrived in Santiago on 13th October.

In 2019 I departed St.Jean on 29th September and arrived in Santiago on 31st October

In 2020 I could attempt to walk from St.Jean to Santiago in 26 days but that would be without injury, rest days and enjoying the freedom to explore cities like Logrono, Pamplona, Leon. I won't do that, I would recommend between 32-35 days with additional 3-4 to Finisterre. I havn't made it too Muxia yet despite doing 3 Caminos in Europe but would expect to allow similar from Santiago. A German friend I met in 2018 walked from Santiago to Muxia in 22 hrs but would allow between 3-4 days for us mere mortals 🤠

SJPP to SdC: 32-34 days (over 3 walks of that length)

SdC to Muxia (directly): 3 days going directly from SdC to Muxia (Santiago - Negreira, Negreira - Olveiroa, Olveiroa - Muxia

If going indirectly, ie. walking to Finisterre first then to Muxia, then add one day. UNLESS you take a break halfway at Lires which IMHO is recommended.

B

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello,
I am sure that this is this a common question, so I'm embarrassed to throw it out again!
Can some of you experienced CF hikers tell me how many days it took you to complete the walk from SJPP to Santiago? And if you've done it...the walk from Santiago to Muxia?
I have looked through some old threads and can't find the answer to this common question. I am looking to book flights for the full CF. I've walked the partial CF two times, but can't figure how many days I should plan for th 500 miles. I can estimate, but I'd like to get input from those who have done it.
Thanks so much!

It really depends on how much mileage you are able to/want to cover per day. How many rest days, if any, you plan to take. And that is aside from unexpected issues that may occur such as injury that need a bit of recovery time.

On average, it seems that 32 to 40 days from SJPdP to SdC is a common range. But it can take less or more based on your individual needs.

It really depends on how much mileage you are able to/want to cover per day. How many rest days, if any, you plan to take. And that is aside from unexpected issues that may occur such as injury that need a bit of recovery time.

On average, it seems that 32 to 40 days from SJPdP to SdC is a common range. But it can take less or more based on your individual needs.

Right - I get that. I've walked from Burgos before and understand much of this is subjective. It helps to hear about others' experiences. I may be able to put all of that together, hear about the warnings and exceptions, then estimate what is right for me.
Thanks so much!

In 2018 I departed St.Jean on 9th September and arrived in Santiago on 13th October.

In 2019 I departed St.Jean on 29th September and arrived in Santiago on 31st October

In 2020 I could attempt to walk from St.Jean to Santiago in 26 days but that would be without injury, rest days and enjoying the freedom to explore cities like Logrono, Pamplona, Leon. I won't do that, I would recommend between 32-35 days with additional 3-4 to Finisterre. I havn't made it too Muxia yet despite doing 3 Caminos in Europe but would expect to allow similar from Santiago. A German friend I met in 2018 walked from Santiago to Muxia in 22 hrs but would allow between 3-4 days for us mere mortals 🤠

Thank you. I'd like to fit in the walk to Muxia if I have time. It helps to read about your past experiences.
Thanks for your input!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
SJPP to SdC: 32-34 days (over 3 walks of that length)

SdC to Muxia (directly): 3 days going directly from SdC to Muxia (Santiago - Negreira, Negreira - Olveiroa, Olveiroa - Muxia

If going indirectly, ie. walking to Finisterre first then to Muxia, then add one day. UNLESS you take a break halfway at Lires which IMHO is recommended.

B

This is helpful - especially since you sound quite experienced. I appreciate your comments.
PS I've heard that about Lires
Thanks so much.

I've walked from Burgos before and understand much of this is subjective.

Since you have walked from Burgos why don't you calculate your average daily kilometers and divide the distance between SJPDP and Santiago by that number?
I would take four days to walk to Muxía or Finisterre and two days to walk between the two.

When I'm estimating days for flights I try allow as many days as I can get away with. If I find I walk quicker and have spare time at the end, it is very easy to find things to do in Spain.
That's how I do it too.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For me 35 days is comfortable from SJPDP to SDC. It gives some wriggle room for a couple of rest days.

At 64 years old, walked SJPdP to SdC in 35 days of walking, taking an extra day in both Burgos and Leon. Could have done it faster, but why? Could have done it slower, and may next time. Also plan to walk to Muxia this time. Basically, do whatever blows your hair back.

I have walked SJPdP to Santiago in 27 days (healthy, no rest-days), add 4 days to arrive in Muxia.
Everything between 14 and 70 days is possible. If you can do it, walk w/o an fixed date of arrival / take-off.
I have booked my flight back home from Portomarrin, so I had two extra days in Porto.

HTH

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have walked it twice, both times I took 32 walking days and 3 - 4 rest days. I reckon you need a minimum of 6 weeks to do it all. But if things go awry (perhaps you may need some recovery days) you can perhaps leave out the Muxia element of your trip.

I managed it in 31 walking days and 1 rest day.
The advice above about having the luxury of no end date is a top tip of you can do it. I could and it took the pressure off of me. Lots of other people I met were getting a bit stressed as they fell behind schedule giving themselves even bigger daily targets to reach Santiago.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Brierley stages are a good benchmark - so 33 days or so -for lots of people the key constraint will be stopping early enough to get into albergues - I prefer to stay in hotels/hostels so that I can walk for longer each day - it took me 20 days to walk from SJPP to Santiago (though I treated myself to a half day in Leon)

for lots of people the key constraint will be stopping early enough to get into albergues - I prefer to stay in hotels/hostels so that I can walk for longer each day
The albergue "bed race" is certainly a factor in leading people towards walking shorter stages and stopping early in the day. Though at times I think it may be driven more by anxiety than the reality of large numbers. I also prefer to walk longer days and usually walk lesser-travelled routes in winter these days where I can expect to find very few others. I walked my first Camino Frances in 23 days but I think @spursfan and I are probably towards the edge of the normal range in that regard and I would not recommend others to do the same unless they really enjoy long daily stages!

In 2013 31 days from SJDP to Muxia

In 2015 36 days from SJDP to Maxi & Fisterre.

For me, it is never obout getting the Compostela or how fast I can do it. It is about enjoying the experience.

Buen Camino!!

Texasguy

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
On my first CF I met 2 very experience French walkers who were sisters walking from Le Puy in stages and bemoaned the people who set out to "do the CF" as if its a challenge, as distinct from experiencing the CF.
I met a man once in SJPDP who had walked back in 11 days!
To my way of thinking a Camino is a time to connect with the surroundings, and maintain serenity despite all the annoying things that happen along the way. (pain, bed bugs, people snoring, snow and ice or hot weather, rude fellow walkers and others etc etc).
This suggests a successful inner journey is more important than speed of travel. Many of the historic centres can also share their stories if we pause instead of walking through to keep up the pace.
Brierley clearly says the stages are only that, not musts and has philosophical sayings at the top of the page for each stage as well as a long section called the "Mystical Path" at the bottom of the same page. He is trying to steer a reader in that direction.
Finally its up to you;
Given you have already walked parts twice, is there something drawing you back?

In 2013 at the age of 76, I did my first Camino Frances from SJPP to SDC in 32 days with 1 rest day and then 3 days to Muxia and 1 more to Finisterre. In 2015, at 78, it was 37 days with 2 rest days. And, in 2019, at the ripe, old age of 82, it only took me 32 days - Lol! and that was after walking from Le Puy! I never felt like I was rushing and enjoyed every bit of them.

In 2015 my wife and I walked CF in 35 days, including 1 rest day, at age 57. In 2017, we walked CF with my brother and his wife and allowed 38 days, including 2 rest days (Burgos and Leon). In 2017, we allowed 37 days, no rest days. This fall, our hiking plan is 35 days, no rest days. In each case, we walked a pace that was comfortable for us. When other pilgrims walked a much faster pace or walked many more kms, we did not let that upset us, since "it's not a race" and we walked our own camino. Bob

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have been asked this question and there is no right answer. You never know how far you can really walk and how far you want to walk each day. Can't predict illness, weather or blisters and how many rest days you will need. I always say plan for as much time as you can take off depending on your budget and your availability. Even if you finish 7 or 8 days early you have lots of alternatives. Walk to the end of the world is one. You are in Europe I am sure you can find someplace to go and something to do!

Hello,
Thanks so much!

We walked from SJPdP to SdC April/May last year - took 53 days which included 3 rest days. We averaged 16 kms a day. We had the time and loved our leisurely pace and wouldn't have wanted it any different. Everyone's wants, needs, abilities, free time etc are so different. Each to their own 😊

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello,
Thanks so much!
Oh my! It really depends on your pace. If it were me, I would probably schedule around 45 days, which would include a few rest days and assumes that you are going to Muxia via Fisterre. I know many have done it in much less and others have taken longer. I would especially recommend budgeting the longer stretch for first time pilgrims who won't know until they try how far the can walk in a day when they are walking day after day after day.

But if you've done partial CF pilgrimages a couple of times, which parts did you walk and how long did it take? That can assist in coming up with a more accurate estimate for the "whole thing" for you.

I took 34 days last year. I felt that at a push I could have done it in less than 30 but I had a specific reason to start and finish on particular days so I wasn't worried and consequently I felt under no pressure. Conversely there were some days when I finished quite early and would have preferred to go further. A LOT depends on being injury free for the entirety or at least not suffering anything that slows you down too much. I think most people find their bodies get increasingly adjusted to the mileages the further you get into it so don't feel too down if the first 10 days or so seem too hard. Its also quite nice to have a rest day built in at some point.

I am planning on taking 30 days for the Camino Notre this year which is a little longer than the Frances.

I also like to start early in the morning - that way you have plenty of time to reach your overnight stop and can afford to dawdle if the mood takes you. Some places are so beautiful that you just have to stop and while away the time with fellow pilgrims or in blissful solitude. Good luck!

Took me 42 days, with deliberately spaced rest days at Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Leon and Astorga.
So 37 days cruisie but steady walking, with time for sightseeing and fun along the way.
Regards and good travelling,
Gerard

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello,
Thanks so much!
Takes me about 40 days but I am old and slow and in no hurry to go anywhere. :D:D

Once I did it in 35 days. The other times it took a full five weeks.

As others have hinted at, and I will gently reinforce with a baseball bat, you are asking the wrong question. Never mind how long it takes, how long do you have? Its like asking "how long does a massage take?". The answer is......as long as possible!

Buen Camino

€60,-
In 2017, it took me 40 days from SJPP to SdC, 38 walking days plus 2 rest days (Pamplona and León), so I averaged 21 km. I had planned for 25 km days, but recurrent blisters over most of my camino slowed me down. I still enjoyed every minute of it! Finisterre and Muxia are still waiting for me to stop by. 😎

Hi there,

Ask a number of pilgrims and you'll probably get the same amount of different answers. It might give you a clue, but it all depends on what feels comfortable for you.

I've walked the Frances twice, but I'm not going to tell you how long it took me. I don't think it would help you to make up your own Camino.

But you can get a good sense of what is possible. And you can play around with different options to see how they might work out. There's a website with a Camino planning facility. Try it. It has different Camino's. Just click the desired one and start planning:

Have fun preparing for your Camino. And remember: there's only one right way to walk a Camino and that's your way!

Ultreia.

By the way: although Godesalco has a planning tool for Santiago-Finisterre, it doesn't have that for Santiago-Muxia.

Both routes are the same until the town of Hospital. From Hospital to Finisterre it's about 27 km. From Hospital to Muxia about 26 km. Hope this helps.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I do not think there is a "right" answer. There are so many variables. But let's assume your intention is to walk from point A to Point B without any day's rest or injuries or any other factor that may delay your walk. Remember the Camino is to be experienced and not to be taken on as a physical challenge or a race. Take your time and enjoy the walk. Enjoy your company. You may set out to walk 20 km and realize that you can do 35km or the other way around, it happens. In a "perfect" or ideal world, I think anywhere between 30 and 35 days would be "comfortable". Maybe add 4 or 5 days to Finistere or Muxia. In any case, "Buen Camino".

Regardless of how long you take the best advice I can offer is to be prepared by doing some training in advance. However fast or slow you walk it will be far more enjoyable the better adjusted your body is. I was surprised by how many people I met last year who had done no training whatsoever with the consequential problems that brought. I suspect that 40 days with no training might be a lot harder than 30 for a well prepared pilgrim? Training always trumps speed in my experience.

€83,-
We walked from SJPdP to SdC April/May last year - took 53 days which included 3 rest days. We averaged 16 kms a day. We had the time and loved our leisurely pace and wouldn't have wanted it any different. Everyone's wants, needs, abilities, free time etc are so different. Each to their own 😊
I like this pace. :) I am giving myself 60 days as i am not in a hurry to get anywhere. I want to really savour the Way.

Hello,
Thanks so much!
we did 33 days + two days rest over the period of the walk for SJPP to SDC

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Like Trecile said, do the math. How long did you walk every day out of Burgos. Divide 798 by that number and add a few rest days and voila; there is your answer!

From SJPdP to Muxia (via Finisterra) was 41 days for me. That included three nights in SdC (Feast of St. James!). SJPdP to SdC was 34 days.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello,
Thanks so much!
What do you you want to get out of your Camino? If you've done parts of it, you know how far you can walk in a day. Do you want to see things along the way or are you happy to spend all day walking and not do any sightseeing?
I am not in a rush and plan to take 9 weeks. I want to enjoy the experience. Obviously I could do it faster.
What decides how long you take depends on your other commitments, how far/fast you can walk and how you approach it.
You can do it in 4 weeks if you want/are able, but you need to consider how you will feel about it afterwards.

On my first CF I met 2 very experience French walkers who were sisters walking from Le Puy in stages and bemoaned the people who set out to "do the CF" as if its a challenge, as distinct from experiencing the CF.
I met a man once in SJPDP who had walked back in 11 days!
To my way of thinking a Camino is a time to connect with the surroundings, and maintain serenity despite all the annoying things that happen along the way. (pain, bed bugs, people snoring, snow and ice or hot weather, rude fellow walkers and others etc etc).
This suggests a successful inner journey is more important than speed of travel. Many of the historic centres can also share their stories if we pause instead of walking through to keep up the pace.
Brierley clearly says the stages are only that, not musts and has philosophical sayings at the top of the page for each stage as well as a long section called the "Mystical Path" at the bottom of the same page. He is trying to steer a reader in that direction.
Finally its up to you;
Given you have already walked parts twice, is there something drawing you back?

Yes, I love the experience of being immersed in the Way as a pilgrim. I love the people, the food, the time for introspection. It is spiritual and religious. I do not want to rush.
You stated your point very well - eloquent and true.
Thank you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back