• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Communicating... English?

Madi

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to hike the Camino the summer of 2016
I am from the US and don't know much Spanish, and only a small amount of French. Should I try to learn some Spanish before I go, or would I be ok? Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You can manage on the Camino Frances with very little Spanish, as English is the common language when people of different nationalities get together. However, you really should try to study up before, especially since you are young and will have many years to enjoy what you learn.

A basic course would be great. Otherwise, use a phrase book, learn the numbers, and maybe take a translation app if you have a smart phone.

You can manage on the Camino Frances with very little Spanish, as English is the common language when people of different nationalities get together. However, you really should try to study up before, especially since you are young and will have many years to enjoy what you learn.

A basic course would be great. Otherwise, use a phrase book, learn the numbers, and maybe take a translation app if you have a smart phone.
Thank you much, very helpful!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I think you'll enjoy the experience more if you can speak a little Spanish. You'll be able to interact with the local people a bit more. You'll be learning Spanish as you walk as well I expect, since there are many young Spanish Pilgrims to chat with. I've got a lot to learn, but each time I go , I learn a few more words. Some young Spanish guys I met recently took great delight in teaching me some choice swear words, which I won't repeat here!! :)
Helen

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi! I think there's a very basic level that means you won't come across as rude. Knowing how to greet people, key numbers, please and thank you are enough for that. Once goodwill has been established, sign language and the usual linguistic gymnastics will do the rest.

Beyond this is the 'Camino Competent' level. This involves a few key words and phrases like 'cafe con leche', 'Hay...', 'donde esta...', etc. You'll probably end up at this level even if you start with next to nothing.

Just as important as your actual knowledge is your attitude. Making an effort, a bit of humility and a sense of humour are all good.

Buen Camino!

Just as important as your actual knowledge is your attitude. Making an effort, a bit of humility and a sense of humour are all good.
This is so true. One morning, we encountered a group of four non-Spanish peregrinos who, after three weeks on the Frances, still insisted on ordering their desayuno in their own language, befuddling the already busy barkeep. We looked on in dismay.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As others have stated, you won't have to speak Spanish but it is a good idea to try to learn and use the basics. Don't ever go to another country without being able to say please, thank you, you're welcome, hello, goodbye, good morning, good night, etc. If you are on a budget, a good free way to learn the basicc or a lot more is https://www.duolingo.com/. Buen Camino!

I can recommend "Camino Lingo" co-written by our own Sillydoll. All you need in an easily referenced format. Published by Lightfoot Publications. Look for Sylvia Nielsen on Amazon.

Don't worry. On our camino I talked Japanese, Korean, Canadian (both the french and the englidh), Romanian, Polish,... all without knowing these languages.
In other words, on the camino there is a universal language, called "understanding".
The few words you really need, you will pick up during your first days. And when you arrive in Compostella or Finistere, you will see youself going into a bar and order all you need in perfect "understanding".. ;-)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Don't worry. On our camino I talked Japanese, Korean, Canadian (both the french and the englidh), Romanian, Polish,... all without knowing these languages.
In other words, on the camino there is a universal language, called "understanding".
The few words you really need, you will pick up during your first days. And when you arrive in Compostella or Finistere, you will see youself going into a bar and order all you need in perfect "understanding".. ;-)

Too true. From my blog from our French Camino:
....we have to make it to Riego de Ambros for our night’s rest. It's a unique place. The albergue is an ancient building on the outside but the sleeping area has been remodeled in nouveau Ikea. We rung the doorbell then entered through the massive wooden doors. The hospitalero did not seem to be around but there is a single German pilgrim already making himself at home. He told us that Pedro, the owner, is over at the restaurant (owned by his mother on the other side of town and the only other business in the village) and should return shortly. He suggested that we leave our shoes at the closet behind us, come in, chose a bed and get a shower. We agreed that this was a good plan but then Melanie & I looked at each other and laughed. Everything that the other pilgrim said was in German but we understood it all. We are picking up words and accents but the plan also fits into an expected routine. It gives us a chuckle anyway.

If you're using a smartphone I found Google Translate with Spanish loaded as an offline language came in useful even if only to prepare some phrases in advance. In a Vodafone shop in Cée it was the only method to find out the code for determining how much credit was left on my SIM card.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes, definitely learn a bit of Spanish before you go - even if it is just a few pleasantries and basic phrases. They will serve you well, if only to show people that you are trying :) Even if they immediately switch to English so that you will stop butchering their language, you'll score points for effort.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back