• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Communicating with Other Pilgrims

isabelle304

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (SJPP-Santiago) (Oct-Nov 08)
Santiago to Finisterre (Nov 08)
Via de la Plata/Camino Sanabres (Sevilla-Santiago via Ourense) (Oct-Nov 09)
Camino Primitivo (Oviedo-Santiago) (Sep-Oct 14)
I hope this is not too silly a question but it's been bugging me a little.

Am about to set off for my first Camino (1 October) and although I am a bit a of loner, I am looking forward to meeting all the other pilgrims/nationalities on my route. Those of you who have walked the Camino before, what's your technique to suss out where another pilgrim comes from when you first come across them on the Camino - I mean, how do you say hi the very first time - in Spanish, in English? Do you have secret signals? Country flags on your backpacks? or do you just end up asking each new person you come across where they come from in the first language that comes into your head, and if the other person looks at you mouth open without answering, you just try another language, until you find one in common? This all seems very time-consuming to me :wink: but i'd be curious to know.

Isabelle

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There is a Camino lingua that everyone seems to understand. It involves sign language, body language, facial expression, tone of voice etc.
I only saw two black women on the camino last year - one was from Germany and the other was French. They were a natural attraction for other pilgrims, curious to find out where they were from!
A big smile, a wave of the hand, a nod of the head. Pilgrims say, "buen camino" when they pass each other. When you are resting in the albergue or sharing a meal, everyone 'talks' with a combination of all of these communication tools. If you see a sad pilgrim, or a hurting pilgrim, a gentle enquiry or sympathetic tone will say a thousand words.
Don't worry about it now - everything will just fall into place when you are on the camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Some Pilgrims have a country flag on their backpacks... A young man passed me last summer saying "Buen Camino" and as he passed, I saw his Canadian flag and called out "Are you Canadian?"...(since Pilgrims from this continent are fewer, we notice one another!) he paused, we chatted for a few minutes and he strode on to meet his friends... but we met later in the Albergue and walked the same "etapas" for a few days. Casual meetings at dinner can enable great conversations during the walk and if you decide yo want to walk alone, everyone respects that and will walk on or pause for you to go on alone.
Don't worry - you'll meet many people, but as often said here, you will walk alone as much as you choose to!
Buen Camino,

falcon269 said:
Hello. Where are you from?
:) Thanks this made me smile. Obviously I know WHAT to say, I am just unsure what language I should be saying it in. I think my query boils down to - how do you guess in what language to talk to someone, before you accost them? However at the end of the day this is not important, I'll soon develop my own nationality/language radar once I have started walking.

Don't worry about "guessing" the other's language. Most pilgrims know some English &/or Spanish, so a "Buen Camino" or similar in English is enough to get the party started. ;) There is a Camino lingua franca, & you'll be surprised at the number of conversations you can have using 3 or four different languages, hand signs & facial expressions. :)

on edit: from my blog from September of last year:

The next day, I checked out of the hotel & headed towards the Cathedral plaza. I met up with 2 German pilgrims & somehow in German, French, Spanish AND English, I gathered that the main albergue was "very bad, don't go there." I somehow a referral for a good pensione for the Germans, since they didn't want to stay at a hotel. It's amazing what information you can get using 4 languages (including 2 that no one is fluent in), maps, & charades.

Kelly

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I guess it depends on which languages you feel comfortable conversing in. Buen Camino is used by all, regardless of your ability to speak Spanish. I am, unfortunately, unilingual and so after my initial Buen Camino greeting, I'd speak in English and either a conversation would start or the other pilgrims would smile, shake their heads, and say (in their language) 'sorry, we don't speak english'. Though I must say this was rare, almost everyone I met spoke some english....

I wear South African flag shorts, have an SA badge sewn onto my hat and also have a little flag flying from my pack. With all this advertising, it wasn't surprising that three members from this forum (Kevin, Belinda and Javier) recognized the flag and asked me if I knew 'Sil" from South Africa!
At Bercianos, two cyclists did an about turn when they saw my shorts - they were from Cape Town cycling from Santiago to Pamplona.
I also had one person say, "Hello Jamaica!" Didn't have the heart to tell him that he got the flag wrong!

Attachments

• SAShorts.JPG
    SAShorts.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 474

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back