• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Communication with Home

D

Deleted member 89002

I am planning my first Camino for 2020 - My husband will be tending to things here at home. I know that Skype is an option; however, I am wondering if anyone has tried to use Alexa to Alexa calling (Kindle Fire to Echo Dot) from Spain to the US and if it works satisfactorily. The company website/help chat wasn't very clear on this specific area.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My wife and I find that Viber works really well. We’ve used it on three different Camino’s and it works on PC’s, android and IOS devices so it’s pretty complete.
I also use Viber, and I like that I can buy credits to make very cheap - 2¢/minute calls to albergues and other landlines. The call quality has been excellent.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My advice is to download WhatsApp. It is used across the world. Especially Latin America and Europe. You can message, voice or video call. It is super easy to download and works great. If you make friends with other pilgrims especially from Europe or Latin America it is the best way to communicate. I would also recommend if you can unlock your phone getting a plan with either Orange or Vodafone. I like Orange's plan. For 20E a month I get 80 minutes of calling within Spain. I never use close to that. You also get 10gigs of data. If you are walking a camino that you may have trouble following the arrows a GPS comes in handy. Whatsapp uses very little, especially if you are using voice and not video. There were lots of days when the WiFi in the albergues was too weak for a good signal, (especially calling after lots of people are on the WiFi) and I used my data. When I recharged at the end of the month I have never used more than about 5 gigs of data. Just a suggestion.

For those
I also use Viber, and I like that I can buy credits to make very cheap - 2¢/minute calls to albergues and other landlines. The call quality has been excellent.
For those of you who use viber, do you need wifi to utilize it? Thanks in advance.

For those

For those of you who use viber, do you need wifi to utilize it? Thanks in advance.
Yes, you need either wifi or cellular data.
My advice is to download WhatsApp. It is used across the world. Especially Latin America and Europe
I also use WhatsApp, but to use it both parties need to have WhatsApp. That's why I also use Viber, so that I can call landlines and people who don't have WhatsApp, Facebook messenger, etc.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello,

I purchased an SIM card at the Madrid airport for 15 euros. The cost included 200 free minutes to call the USA among other things. It worked very well for me. I had Skype and What's Up loaded on my tablet for back ups.

My wife could call me on my Spanish Cell at any time (no wifi necessary) from the USA at no cost to me and minimal cost to her.

You like ET, will be able to call home almost where ever you are.

Buen Camino,

Dennis D

I also use WhatsApp, but to use it both parties need to have WhatsApp. That's why I also use Viber, so that I can call landlines and people who don't have WhatsApp, Facebook messenger, etc.
Thanks, I appreciate that. My family and I both have WhatsApp, but we're more worried about my parents being able to call me. I think I'll have to go the SIM card route. Thank you!

Hello,

I purchased an SIM card at the Madrid airport for 15 euros. The cost included 200 free minutes to call the USA among other things. It worked very well for me. I had Skype and What's Up loaded on my tablet for back ups.

My wife could call me on my Spanish Cell at any time (no wifi necessary) from the USA at no cost to me and minimal cost to her.

Buen Camino,

Dennis D
I'm flying into Barcelona, so I'll look into SIM card options there. Maybe Vodafone is a good option. Thanks for your advice!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Very true and everyone I need to call has it. Living in Mexico you know everyone has it and Europe too. Easy to download easier to use hahaha.

If you have iPhones you can FaceTime. I used camino 2014, worked beautifully.

Also, you can put phone on airplane mode and text.

And, I second WhatsApp usage.

All for no additional charge.

Buen camino.

It's clear from the discussions you really need two modes to cover all bases--one, a local SIM card for phone ahead for accommodation, and an Internet-based app like Whatsapp for the family. That was our experience too. As the use of online comms apps spread I think you may even find albergue contacts being on there too :)

Respectfully - you need to be on wifi to use whats up and both parties have to have the app. I believe that both parties have to have the Viber App too. Since there seem to be more and more pilgrims on the Camino, many are calling the albergues etc... to book their rooms (beds) in advance. You may find that to be important for you too.

You don't need WIFI for Whatsapp or Viber - cellular data will work fine too. Viber, like Skype allows you to call a phone number -the other party doesn't need the app - or even to be on a cell phone - the app does charge you a small amount for this - but its fractions of a cent compared to actually calling using the phone. I routinely buy overseas SIM cards with data only - and just use these apps

Hello,

Buen Camino,

Dennis D
That's the best bet. Whenever I go to another country I get a SIM card

I am planning my first Camino for 2020 - My husband will be tending to things here at home. I know that Skype is an option; however, I am wondering if anyone has tried to use Alexa to Alexa calling (Kindle Fire to Echo Dot) from Spain to the US and if it works satisfactorily. The company website/help chat wasn't very clear on this specific area.
Last October on the Camino Francais we used What's AP. We kept our phones on airplane mode and were able to send What's ap messages, pics and videos to our family friends. I was pleasant to fast from all the malignant politics in the US.
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.