• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Communication

Joei

Time of past OR future Camino
First time (Sept 2016)8633
How good is cell phone reception on the camino frances? If not fluent in spanish how difficult to make hostel reservations while on the camino?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Welcome to the forum Joey!

Cellphone reception on the Camino Frances is excellent with free wifi in most albergues and most cafes on route. As for reservations the hospitalero's in the albergues you stay in are often happy to help you book the next night for you.

Buen Camino
Davey

Reception is better near major roads and towns, but don't expect any one carrier to have universally good reception along the whole of the CF. Equally, don't expect to find hostel staff fluent in English everywhere. Some have good English, many have some English but don't be surprised if you find someone who doesn't feel comfortable speaking English.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have found Movistar to have excellent reception on the Camino Frances. I don't know about the other providers.

I've always used movistar, except for this year when I went to vodaphone. Movistar has much better coverage, I not infrequently found I had no service on Vodaphone while my movistar friends did. Not a huge problem, but it was a minor inconvenience. There were two reasons why I switched -- one was that my pal Annie had already bought the vodaphone sim card and if we both had vodaphone we could call each other for free, and the other was that I have generally found that movistar employees are unhelpful and cranky. When I went to buy my vodaphone card in Sant Carles de la Rápita, I was stunned at how friendly she was. And again, at the vodaphone in León when I needed some help, the staff was extremely friendly. That has not been my experience over the years with Movistar, so I guess you have to choose between good coverage and good service.

Vodafone has excellent service, but it does not reciprocate with Vodafone in other European countries (except Portugal, I think). Movistar operates only in Spain and Latin American countries where it has acquired BellSouth. I have found English spoken in virtually all Vodafone stores. They also have counters in the El Corte Ingles stores. I have always had a signal except in the most remote terrain.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you are starting in Le Puy, or somewhere in France...
I bought a card with SFR company; it was good for reservations and also to have some peace of mind, because I walked a rather lonely Chemin.
It also worked well in Spain. I suppose it was more expensive than a local card, but as I used it only sporadically to reserve albergues, it was good and practical. I arrived at Compostela with a recharge that I have made in a "tabac" shop in Saint Jean.

I arrived at Compostela with a recharge that I have made in a "tabac" shop in Saint Jean.
Yes. You will find tabac stores for recharging most any plan in most cities (but not villages). You will find Vodaphone stores only in the very large cities. Vodaphone mostly served us well for reserving. I learned a few phrases in Spanish which got me a reservation.

Yes. You will find tabac stores for recharging most any plan in most cities (but not villages).
Yep. But the procedure is somewhat complicated. The lady in the "tabac" store (I was in SJPP) kindly helped me, and she spent almost three minutes struggling with the system. I can't imagine how could I have done it, especially when I receive instructions in a language that I only half understand. Better to ask for help where you buy your recharging, if possible.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm sorry. I wasn't clear. It wasn't complicated at all nor was it self-serve at the tabac. Even though you can re-charge on the phone or online my Spanish is not good enough for that. We re-charged at several different tabac stores - they take all the different systems. It was very fast, and even when she didn't understand English we were able to communicate in my poor Spanish or just holding out the phone and saying, "Vodaphone." Most people can get away with just 10 Euros to start when you buy the sim, but we wound up making more calls than we anticipated due to injuries and booking ahead and daily calls to Correos.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back