• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Companies that transport bags

PamAroma

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria to Santiago CF 2014
Hello pilgrims! I completed the last 120kms Sarria -Santiago a couple of years ago and the pull to return and do it all will not quiet within me. I am traveling CF May for 2 weeks starting in SJPP weather permitting. I hope to complete half of the camino and return next year to complete. I have a partially torn shoulder rotator cuff and can only carry a day pack as I walk. Any recommendations of companies to transport bags?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I used Jacotrans last year and they were good. The cost is more for the first day from SJPDP to Roncesvalles but after that I think it was 8 euros a day, we walked the whole camino and I didn't have a problem on any single day! I had a medical problem with my knee so without Jacotrans I wouldn't have been able to complete the Camino.

I used Jacotrans last year and they were good. The cost is more for the first day from SJPDP to Roncesvalles but after that I think it was 8 euros a day, we walked the whole camino and I didn't have a problem on any single day! I had a medical problem with my knee so without Jacotrans I wouldn't have been able to complete the Camino.
Thank you Heidi!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Once you are in Spain you can use the Correos/Post Office to transport you backpack. They pick up and deliver everywhere and their price is roughly 5 euros per bag. Every albergue on the way has their instruction tag/envelope. The first time that you want to use them ask the hospitalero for help. See more info at the bottom of this web. http://www.correos.es/ss/Satellite/...500-sala_prensa/detalle_noticia-sidioma=es_ES

Last edited:
Once you are in Spain you can use the Correos/Post Office to transport you backpack. They pick up and deliver everywhere and their price is roughly 5 euros per bag. Every albergue on the way has their instruction tag/envelope. The first time that you want to use them ask the hospitalero for help. See more info at the bottom of this web. http://www.correos.es/ss/Satellite/...500-sala_prensa/detalle_noticia-sidioma=es_ES

And Correos now have a rather fancy website dedicated to the Camino at http://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/index.php with all kinds of useful stuff - scroll down to "Transporte Mochilas" for info on the pack transfer service. I haven't used them but have heard positive reports of the service.

We used Jacotrans (jacotrans.com) and found them very good. I've also heard good things about Caminofacil (http://www.caminofacil.net/en/).

As @Heidi Cruise mentioned above, for us using a pack transfer service made the difference between being able to walk the Camino and not. Whatever you decide, @PamAroma - good luck and have a wonderful 2 weeks on the Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've used both Jacotrans (2011) and Jacotrans and Caminofacil (2015). Caminofacil preference by a little......When phoning to book transportation, if you speak English, they immediately transferred through to an English speaking person; a € or two cheaper; no problems; really easy. In fact I saw that the Caminofacil pickup in a few places around Molinaseca area, being done by the Correos van. There also at least one more company but I can't recall the name. And yes, it can make the difference between success and struggle.

I have found Jacotrans to be the most reliable for the entire route (three years running). Last year their per-stage rates were as follows:

Roncesvalles to Burgos, €7
Burgos to Sarria, €5
Sarria to Santiago €3

Always ask the current rates of your host, because they will allow you to pay a higher rate without commenting on it!

For SJPP to Roncesvalles, Express Bourricot is completely dependable, €8 per stage

I have read somewhere that some companies will transport persons for no extra charge. Is that so? And which companies do that? On the Coast to Coast in UK that was a very helpful service offered.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have used Caminofacil every year for over 10 years and I love them
Are you saying then that Caminofacil transport persons as well as backpacks?

Are you saying then that Caminofacil transport persons as well as backpacks?
I do not think it is one of the services that takes people, and nothing is free in Spain. There are some, at least in France, that do for a fee, but Correos, Caminofacil, and Jacotrans in Spain do not transport people (at least to my knowledge). They all run pretty full with bags, whereas in France not so many bags are transported by vehicle. Carrying a backpack is part of the French adventure.

https://caminofacil.net/en/how-it-works/

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I just saw on their web page that "Our main service is luggage transfer and pilgrim transportation." Maybe I will write to them and check what this means. Thanks for your help.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have just used Pilbeo and they are fantastic. Owner Jesus answers emails and phone immediately. I changed my plans at last moment and he was polite and totally accomodating and very reliable . Cheaper than others I tried. My luggage was transferred for 7 stages from St Jean d eventually to Lograno . Google Pilbeo or I think email is contact@pilbeo.com

How about bag transport on the Portuguese? I heard there is a service but haven’t found info.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So Jacotrans are great if nothing goes wrong. However I’ve just sent my bag to an Albergue that turns out is closed. The guy who at Jacotrans didn’t inform me it was closed when I booked in for that day (they ask for daily communication vs just letting the hotel communicate because of covid). Instead of dropping my bad to the hotel opposite that was open they took my bag 20k to the next stop and then didn’t tell me!!! When I asked them to bring my bag and my insulin back they basically just told me to deal with it. They are cowboys with a very simple job that shouldn’t ever go wrong but when it does they fail. Use the postal service instead. So much safer if you value your things.

So Jacotrans are great if nothing goes wrong. However I’ve just sent my bag to an Albergue that turns out is closed. The guy who at Jacotrans didn’t inform me it was closed when I booked in for that day (they ask for daily communication vs just letting the hotel communicate because of covid). Instead of dropping my bad to the hotel opposite that was open they took my bag 20k to the next stop and then didn’t tell me!!! When I asked them to bring my bag and my insulin back they basically just told me to deal with it. They are cowboys with a very simple job that shouldn’t ever go wrong but when it does they fail. Use the postal service instead. So much safer if you value your things.
You should have made sure that the accommodation that you were planning to stay in was open!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well @AbraK12, I guess I should welcome you for joining the forum and making your first post. So sorry that your travel during a pandemic to a hard-hit country, is encountering some logistical problems. The complaints box might be full of a few other important issues.
To be fair, it seems to me Jacotrans saying "just deal with it" when the luggage transported contained essential medications (insulin) was a bit harsh. While the country as a whole may have other important issues to deal with than a pilgrim left far from his medication, I'm not sure what a luggage transport company would have to deal with that was so much more important. My imagination is limited, though, so there might be more important things.

If I was insulin dependent I don’t think I’d let it out of my sight let alone stick it in a van and send it to a destination I hadn’t verified. We all make our own risk assessments and exercise our choices. A member of a vulnerable group has chosen to go hiking in Spain in the middle of an escalating Pandemic. It’s no wonder they’re pissed-off with the baggage transport company

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I'm not sure what a luggage transport company would have to deal with that was so much more important.
You do have a valid point. I would be interested in how this unfolded and why they were unable to resolve it, so I'll withhold judgement. But the OP joined the forum just to make the complaint and hasn't been back since, so we will likely never know.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back