• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Comparing Ruta do Mar to the Primitivo from a cultural/historical point of view

Madrood

Time of past OR future Camino
Estrecho (2023)
Hi all

Currently planning on doing the VdlP + Salvador + Primitivo + Reverse Ingles, starting in March, and considered yesterday extending it southward on the Via Serrana to Gibraltar, then a little further to Tarifa which is the southernmost point in mainland Spain. So naturally I looked for the northernmost point (Punta de Estaca de Bares) and it seems to be the most accessible (without taking public transport) on this route as @Magwood did.

Now I'm wondering if, after getting to Oviedo, I should instead press north to get onto this way via Aviles then going forwards on the Ingles, as aside from the appeal of bookending the journey I'd like to support this route if it's just getting started. From what I can gather this route trades the mountains of the Primitivo for coastal scenery (I like both) but some seem to be really impressed with the natural beauty of this route; I'm guessing it's also less taxing too. I'm aware of the lack of albergues but I can raise my daily budget to €50 instead of €25, though I'm not sure this is enough. I'm wondering too if the faster travel time due to longer stages being more achievable might help make up the difference.

But what are the historical highlights to compare against e.g. the Roman walls of Lugo or the Templo de Santalla de Bóveda on the Primitivo?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
This is not an answer to your question but just to say that we loved Tarifa, one of many gems in Andalusia - albeit a windy one! We were down that way after the Mozarabe and stumbled across Tarifa on the way through to fabulous Cadiz. We spent just a few hours in Tarifa but liked it so much that we went back later and stayed a night.

This is not an answer to your question but just to say that we loved Tarifa, one of many gems in Andalusia - albeit a windy one! We were down that way after the Mozarabe and stumbled across Tarifa on the way through to fabulous Cadiz. We spent just a few hours in Tarifa but liked it so much that we went back later and stayed a night.
Oh that's good to hear; I don't suppose you looked into getting to Baelo Claudia from there? Would you recommend wherever you stayed?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi all

Currently planning on doing the VdlP + Salvador + Primitivo + Reverse Ingles, starting in March, and considered yesterday extending it southward on the Via Serrana to Gibraltar, then a little further to Tarifa which is the southernmost point in mainland Spain. So naturally I looked for the northernmost point (Punta de Estaca de Bares) and it seems to be the most accessible (without taking public transport) on this route as @Magwood did.

Now I'm wondering if, after getting to Oviedo, I should instead press north to get onto this way via Aviles then going forwards on the Ingles, as aside from the appeal of bookending the journey I'd like to support this route if it's just getting started. From what I can gather this route trades the mountains of the Primitivo for coastal scenery (I like both) but some seem to be really impressed with the natural beauty of this route; I'm guessing it's also less taxing too. I'm aware of the lack of albergues but I can raise my daily budget to €50 instead of €25, though I'm not sure this is enough. I'm wondering too if the faster travel time due to longer stages being more achievable might help make up the difference.

But what are the historical highlights to compare against e.g. the Roman walls of Lugo or the Templo de Santalla de Bóveda on the Primitivo?
So many choices and so many decisions !

The Camino Primitivo is an amazing route, though that would commence at Oviedo and then take you west. Should you arrive at Oviedo and decide to continue north, you will then connect with the Camino del Norte a little before passing through Aviles, which is a really lovely town.

Weighing up one whether to walk the Camino Primitivo or the Camino del Norte is a really hard call. I suspect that most people who walk San Salvador and arrive at Oviedo, intending to then continue to Santiago, will walk the Camino Primitivo. Along your walking the Camino de San Salvador you are very likely to have encountered fellow pilgrims sharing your walk, and some will continue to Santiago on the Primitivo, so you may wish to continue with their company. It is unlikely that many will continue north and connect with the Camino del Norte.

There are historic, though different, highlights on both the Camino Primitivo and the Camino del Norte.

Whichever route you choose, wish you well.

Walking from Ribadeo to Foz on the Ruta do Mar we visited the Basilica of San Martiño de Mondoñedo.
Access from the Tourist Office behind the Basilica. You will need to check the route as there are direct alternatives which miss this.

basilica 2.jpg basilica 5.jpg

We spent 3 nights in Viveiro, that is the main historical place with ancient streets and gates etc,

Viveiro gateway1.jpg Viveiro fortifications.jpg Viveiro oldest street.jpg

then San Andrés de Teixido the pilgrimage chapel on the route.

San Andres2.jpg San Andres3.jpg

Accommodation is sparse and on average may be more than you are talking of paying - you could check out places using booking.com to get an idea of current prices.

Having also walked the Primitivo that would be our choice historically. The scenery is obviously very different and there is greater infrastructure, accommodation too. You could then do the reverse Inglés if time and funds allow.

More on our blog for Camino 2015 - the link is in signature below.
Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.