• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Comparing the Camino del Norte to the AT in Virginia

travelingteacher

Time of past OR future Camino
Del Norte (2013)
Hello all,

I am enjoying reading all the posts on this forum as I prepare for my Camino. Just wondering, if anyone has hiked the AT in Virginia and have also hiked this trail, what is the comparison? I hope to start on June 15. I would usually be wandering the Virginia mountains at that time, whether on foot, by bike or car. I can usually average 12-15 miles a day on the AT when hiking. The profile maps of the Camino don't seem to be too bad as compared to what I am used to, but any "up" is a mountain to my poor body. I have a lot of health issues and the ups are the worst for me. Just wanting a bit of perspective if anyone has it. It is so hard to train here in Florida, though kind of fun to confuse motorists as I go back and forth, and up and down the bridge....lol. Hope to meet some of y'all soon.

Travelingteacher

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hola

I havn't walked the Appalachian Trail, but I have some thoughts that may be useful for you.
The whole Appalachian Trail is 3500 km and the Virginian part is about 900 km.
If you have walked the complete Virginian part then I am certain that Camino del Norte will be a much easier task.
If the Appalachian can be compared with trails in Yellowstone and Glacier Park, which I have hiked, then it is a wilderness hike and cannot be compared with the Spanish Caminos.
The Caminos are through nature, small towns and rural areas. Every day.
Therefore one does not need to carry all with you but you can relay on lodging and supplies on a daily basis.
Every day on the Camino there will be uphills and downhills, but overall it is manageable if one is not injured. The asphalt paved roads which one meets daily, although they can be boring, they also makes it easier to walk.
The question is really if you have experienced a 1000 km walk before?
Walking a half marathon each day for a month is the physical challenge and to overcome this with fellow pilgrims, sharing the experience, is an important part of the camino. In my opinion.

Buen camino.

Thank you for your reply. I have been waiting for this trail for 10 years and am glad to be finally able to go. I will be carrying my usual stuff. I would feel naked without it and I am used to it. I had surgery on March 1 and will have another when I return. I climbed in Glacier once, beautiful country! I have been watching youtube videos of the del Norte and it seems to be something I can do from the looks of the ups and downs. Yes, I am glad for the towns....planning this trip in particular for this year because I am not wanting to be in the woods. Looking forward to the journey for sure! I can hike a steady 12-15 miles per day in the mountains fully loaded for five days out, more if I have to, so thinking I am going to enjoy resupplying at each town. I don't imagine this will be easy by any means, but I will have the time to enjoy the hike. Enjoy your day.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well, it's your Camino, but honestly you don't need to 'walk loaded' on the Camino there is food and water and a place to sleep every 20 k or less. There are pharmacies, markets, and ATM machines every day. The Camino is not so much a hike as it is a long distance walk. The trails are established and mostly easy. There is an occasional climb which after the trails you're used to will feel like a stroll. My advice is to keep your pack light and enjoy a totally different experience.

Thank you for your reply. No, not going fully loaded, just enough to keep my options open. Looking forward to the stroll. Just going to take my time and enjoy The Way. Looking forward to meeting others, as well. You are never alone on the AT and had some of my best days with others. I really appreciate the perspective.

I am afraid that the first thing which crossed my mind is that you will be astonished with the plazas in the villages, the restaurants, the wine, and the albergues with hospitaleros, none of which are available on the Appalachian trail! Do not worry about stocking up each day--- everything will be there for you each evening.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Lol....I have been studying this trail for many years....just happens this us the year I can go. I was wondering more on terrain....I had surgery on March 1 and had a hard recovery. I am ready now. Been watching you tube videos of the trail and have found some insight on the terrain other than road walking. I am really looking forward to the change of pace. I will always love the AT but the Camino is where I belong this year. I use everything I carry. I am taking my tent for the random night out. The heaviest thing I carry is my food and water. Since I will not have to carry nearly as much, looking forward to loosing some pack weight and enjoying the tastes of Spain. Only addition is a platy for wine....

Thank you for the response. Trying to get my work done and not think about the Trail is proving to be quite difficult, at this point. Six working Mondays to go!

We live in Georgia near the beginning of the AT and know a little about hiking it.

I just want to say that the Camino needs to be thought of as a series of easy to moderate day hikes with places to stop for lunch on most days. Even carrying sleeping bags is optional for many people. My suggestion is to gear down and enjoy the country, the culture and the people.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Considering that we were dipping ourselves in the sea in beautiful Zarautz yesterday evening it is certainly a change in weather today, however, that has not dampened our excitement of the walk...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back