• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Comparison: Anyone who walked both the Via Serrana and the Camino Primitivo?

Arctic_Alex

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2019
CPrim 2023
As I walked the Primitivo this year and there is the chance I might be walking the Via Serrana next year as the opening chapter for the Via de la Plata, I wonder how the two compare in terms of how hard/easy they are to walk.
I did Oviedo - Santiago in 9.5 days this May and so the question is should I plan 10 days for the Via Serrana, or 20? 😉 I know it is hardly comparable how different people perceive hardness/easiness to walk. And this is not only about climb per day but also about gravel/rock/road, the amound of water and food you need to carry and whatever.
But I would love to get a rough feeling what to expect. :cool: ... hopefully less rain than I encountered in Asturias 🤣

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have walked both but it never occurred to me to compare them, as I think that Asturias/Galicia and Andalucía are about as far removed from each other as you can get in Spain.

The Vía Serrana is shorter and easier with less elevation change; I did it in 10 days and the Primitivo in 13. There’s some road walking (especially in the 2nd half) but not too much overall. Water wasn’t a problem for me but it was December and not hot; summer or even the shoulder season might be a different story. Carrying snacks and the occasional lunch would be enough, as there are decent-sized villages or towns each night.

I have walked both but it never occurred to me to compare them, as I think that Asturias/Galicia and Andalucía are about as far removed from each other as you can get in Spain.

I know, I am aware that the overall experience would be very different and they are hard to compare in that respect. Therefore I was asking for a comparison in how hard it subjectively felt :)

And thank you for your answer, as this already gives me a first idea.

I would probably plan it for end of February, so definitely far from the hot season.

The Vía Serrana is shorter and easier with less elevation change; I did it in 10 days and the Primitivo in 13. There’s some road walking (especially in the 2nd half) but not too much overall. Water wasn’t a problem for me but it was December and not hot; summer or even the shoulder season might be a different story. Carrying snacks and the occasional lunch would be enough, as there are decent-sized villages or towns each night.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back