• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Compass and GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlos Zenteno

Time of past OR future Camino
Norte / Primitivo - Mayo 2019
Do I need to bring a compass and/or a GPS to walk the Norte/Primitivo?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
To avoid getting lost, no. To create a visual track of exactly where you walked, how far you walked for yourself, Family and friends, sure! But if it is the latter I’d also recommend just an app on a smart phone so you don’t add any extra weight.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My first CF (2008) my daughter was concerned I'd get injured (or lost?) and so I carried the the SPOT Gen3 Satellite GPS Messenger. It is great for wilderness adventures, but over kill for the Camino. The SPOT tracks my every move and, when linked to Google Earth, sends to folks on an email, my position. It has a "help" mode that tells family that I need assistance...but not of a critical nature. The most impressive capability is it will (when activated) send a message to a 24/7 monitored site that will then dispatch EMS, or in some regions a HELO.
Sounds great, but. My daughter responded on one occasion asking why for the last four days I've been sitting at the same bar.
Kids!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think the best advice that we can offer to the navigationally challenged is that they should "always ensure that the sun is behind you as you walk the Camino Frances" that way they will always arrive at a familiar Albergue ;)
That doesn't work so well in the late afternoon!

True , but you had a nice swim 😅😅
Spoken like a true Roughtie-Toughtie Dutchman! As a retired civil engineer who once worked around Dover and knows where the "emergency" sewage outfalls are you wouldn't get me swimming in the Channel for all the tulips in the Netherlands!
We once poured too much tracing dye into a sewer in Dover town and stood by Shakespeare Cliff to watch the sea turn red as the cloud got bigger and bigger and slowly drifted into the harbour entrance.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My first CF (2008) my daughter was concerned I'd get injured (or lost?) and so I carried the the SPOT Gen3 Satellite GPS Messenger. It is great for wilderness adventures, but over kill for the Camino. The SPOT tracks my every move and, when linked to Google Earth, sends to folks on an email, my position. It has a "help" mode that tells family that I need assistance...but not of a critical nature. The most impressive capability is it will (when activated) send a message to a 24/7 monitored site that will then dispatch EMS, or in some regions a HELO.
Sounds great, but. My daughter responded on one occasion asking why for the last four days I've been sitting at the same bar.
Kids!!!
A friend was showing me his new Garmin watch a few weeks ago. It has features I’ll not live long enough to figure out.

Anyway, whilst walking along describing the device and staring intently at his wrist (trying to get out of the ‘golf course’ menu I think) he tripped over a tree root and fell heavily. His watch’s shock-detector automatically called an ambulance and sent the precise location then sent his wife a text saying he had had a skiing accident.

He wasn’t hurt but I nearly cracked a rib laughing.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A friend was showing me his new Garmin watch a few weeks ago. It has features I’ll not live long enough to figure out.

Anyway, whilst walking along describing the device and staring intently at his wrist (trying to get out of the ‘golf course’ menu I think) he tripped over a tree root and fell heavily. His watch’s shock-detector automatically called an ambulance and sent the precise location then sent his wife a text saying he had had a skiing accident.

He wasn’t hurt but I nearly cracked a rib laughing.
My Apple watch has a similar feature but it alerts me about a fall and, if I respond I am OK, it doesn't follow through with EMS. My daughter is the ICE on my phone. I do not want her to know I've gotten injured, but she set the watch and I don't know how to turn it off.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Chrissy, many years ago while practising getting lost in the Sahara I was advised: "Always keep the sun at your back. That way you'll get back to where you started and can try again". That is, you will always walk in a circle back to where you began

The truth is that solar navigation requires a wristwatch as well as some sunblock; though, arguably, Magellan got famous by always chasing the Sun set rather than the Sun.

Chrissy, many years ago while practising getting lost in the Sahara I was advised: "Always keep the sun at your back. That way you'll get back to where you started and can try again". That is, you will always walk in a circle back to where you began

The truth is that solar navigation requires a wristwatch as well as some sunblock; though, arguably, Magellan got famous by always chasing the Sun set rather than the Sun.
That's why he arrived in the Philippines instead of China.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Why would you need to practise getting lost in the Sahara? I would have thought that you get lost the once and that would be sufficient? ;) 🐪🐪🐪

(Got Ralph Bagnold's book Libyan Sands: Travel in a Dead World for Christmas - now there's a man that never needed GPS in the desert although NASA have used his treatise on wind blown sand dunes in their planning for journeys to Mars!)

I keep a tiny Suunto compass clipped to my watchband. I use it to get my bearings particularly when I'm wandering around cities.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.