• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

compass?

moonwood

Is a compass recommended/essential on the Camino? I've never used one and not even sure I know how too. Is it required?
Renata

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi,
I don't consider that a compass is required. You will find that the route is very well waymarked.
Enjoy your space
Dael

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
moonwood said:
Is a compass recommended/essential on the Camino? I've never used one and not even sure I know how too. Is it required?
Renata

I will be bringing or rather attched to my zipper pack will be a whistle/temperature/compass with me which i bought in outdoor store a while back. I always bring it with me to help my bearings and temperature but never and hope not to use the whistle especially in the camino.

buen camino,
tonette :)

In all the hundreds of kilometers of walking SJPP-Santiago I've never heard (or seen) anybody using a whistle. You don't need a thermometer; you'll know how cold is cold and when to put on the jacket. Compass? Useless. Use the sun for your bearings. It's always on your back in the morning, on your left side in mid-day, and right in front of you later in the day. The path is well waymarked. And if you can't find the yellow arrows? That's where the adventure begins!

Mark

I had a compass/whistle/thermometer attached to my backpack strap, and found it useful upon occassion. I missed the arrows leaving a fairly large town and used the compass to keep going in the right direction and meet up with the Camino again outside of town. Without it, I would have had to do some serious backtracking. It was sometimes also nice to be able to double check that I was going more-or-less in the right direction. The sun works early in the morning, but isn't much help on a cloudy day. Of course, I have absolutely no natural sense of direction, so your situation might be different. If you're one of those people who can sit down in an enclosed room and point to the west, don't bother with a compass.

The thermometer is only helpful if you want an excuse to feel sorry for yourself about exactly how hot or cold it is. :wink:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I got lost in France as the waymarking was really poor - only lost in the sense of walking left at a fork for a few hundred yards. Was carrying a lightweight monocular and used it to sight the other path where I saw a small waymark so retraced my steps and got on track - saved me who knows how far, compass? If you need one in the city you will need one on the camino, otherwise, no - and you never want to be that lost anyway!!

Though I have never used any instruments, I do have pilgrim friends that use "navigators" . I've seen them, but not a comp wiz here. Buen Camino, xm

Whistles are good for when you're in trouble... They don't take up much weight or space, so why not? As another thread points out, the Camino can lay danger in your path.

Re: compass. Nah... Follow the little yellow arrows! One word of advice to make sure you're going in the right direction, especially in the dark would be to make sure you have a torch.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Look out for piles of stones that many times (not always) pilgrims leave on hard to follow roads. I have a friend who became an expert at reaing fooprints. I tried this last one, but could never not distinguish cows from humans :!: Buen Camino :arrow: xm 8)

compass?
depends which camino.....
Frances, just follow the person ahead
Norte, primitivo, yep, and a map
Yellow arrows are not always so obvious on the less travelled routes.
Asking the locals works where there are people. Sometimes out of season there aren't so many to ask.
Whistle and thermometer?
Good grief!

:lol: Heck, diff strokes for diff folks...I think what matters is to be informed and then make choices that without any doubt will be tested on the Caminos. One can always mail things home or leave behind in albergues for others to use. Best, xm 8)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
On the other hand...if a compass or any other gadgets like it would have been "required," I would have failed "Caminos 101," miserably! Best, xm 8)

moonwood said:
Is a compass recommended/essential on the Camino?

As others have said, the Way is well-marked, so you shouldn't need one to follow the trail.

However - if you are spending a day sightseeing in a big, unfamiliar city (like Burgos, for example), a small, inexpensive compass is helpful. My sense of direction is less than perfect, and I can get turned around if I'm not careful. For me, combining a compass with a city map helps keep me from walking around in circles and getting lost. I've been saved by my tiny Rick Steves compass time and again during my travels in places like Paris, London, and Madrid...not to mention Burgos. :arrow:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back