• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Compeed available in the U.S.

jeffnd

Time of past OR future Camino
March/April 2014
In a few days, I set off on the North Country Trail. When I walked the Camino, I used Compeed to deal with 2 very large blisters on my heel. Compeed literally saved my Camino. So with my upcoming walk I knew I needed some in my pack, but being from the States, my only option was to buy it on Amazon, which is pretty expensive. But, it's worth it, so I ordered some.

But today, I was going through the medical department at my local Walmart and saw these:

https://www.band-aid.com/products/advanced-protection/band-aid-hydro-seal-medium-extreme-5-count

Same green packaging as Compeed and everything. And under $4. So I bought them. And yeah, it's Compeed, just rebranded under the Band-Aid brand. Same packaging and the strips themselves are identical. I don't know how long these have been available here and this might be old news, but I thought I'd share for any future pilgrims. Now you can have the magic of Compeed right away when you start out, and you don't have to worry about finding a pharmacy your first day.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In a few days, I set off on the North Country Trail. When I walked the Camino, I used Compeed to deal with 2 very large blisters on my heel. Compeed literally saved my Camino. So with my upcoming walk I knew I needed some in my pack, but being from the States, my only option was to buy it on Amazon, which is pretty expensive. But, it's worth it, so I ordered some.

But today, I was going through the medical department at my local Walmart and saw these:

https://www.band-aid.com/products/advanced-protection/band-aid-hydro-seal-medium-extreme-5-count

Same green packaging as Compeed and everything. And under $4. So I bought them. And yeah, it's Compeed, just rebranded under the Band-Aid brand. Same packaging and the strips themselves are identical. I don't know how long these have been available here and this might be old news, but I thought I'd share for any future pilgrims. Now you can have the magic of Compeed right away when you start out, and you don't have to worry about finding a pharmacy your first day.

I found Compeed at Walgreens a couple of years ago. And there are other brands of hydrocolloid bandages in the US now.

The product is virtually identical because the same company manufactures both products. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The product is virtually identical because the same company manufactures both products.
I think that you will find that the adhesive is weaker than Compeed. For some, that may be a good feature, but expect them to come off much easier and more frequently.

I found Compeed at Walgreens a couple of years ago. And there are other brands of hydrocolloid bandages in the US now.

Yup. In fact, Second Skin was the first product of its kind, long before Compeed came to market in Europe. Second Skin was thought to be revolutionary in its concept for the treatment of deroofed blisters. It was actually an ancillary product, redone from the original product first made for the healthcare industry for burn care and pressure sores (bed sores).

I think that you will find that the adhesive is weaker than Compeed. For some, that may be a good feature, but expect them to come off much easier and more frequently.

When I've used it, I never felt that to be the case, but that is just a subjective observation, so it may be a different formulation than Compeed. It seemed about the same as Compeed, but I'm not betting on it for a certainty :)

I know that both products have a 'non-allergenic' adhesive, and that the formulation for it does produce a weaker adhesive that is more subject to degradation from moisture like seat and shower water.

In any case, I usually don't trust the adhesive of tapes and dressing; I will use tincture of benzoin on the area of the skin to which the adhesive is to be attached, and that multiplies the holding power.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.