Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
The most selling Camino Guide is shipping November 1st. Get your today and start planning.
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean

Compeed vs hikers wool or both?

Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
Pilgrim Pouch carry bags with different designs
A lightweight carry bag handy for walking, biking, traveling, & Caminos

peregrina2000

Staff member
Just remembered another simple tip, always take off your shoes when you are resting ,
This is SUCH a good tip. I remember on my very first Camino Francés, when I suffered from horrible blisters, my walking partner and I decided that taking off our shoes would make it much harder to get our feet back into the shoes at the end of the rest.

We were totally totally wrong. Taking off your shoes will reduce whatever swelling you may have in your feet. And soaking them in a cold stream during the rest will have even more magical powers.

Past OR future Camino
please see signature
consider getting a wider shoe, rather than simple going up several sizes

Should have mentioned that going up several sizes makes for a wider fitting as well as extra length..

For the brand I have used for 8 years now I have selected the widest fitting anyway.

In my case this is New Balance 4E fitting.

And a key feature in keeping heat build up out is the open weave top.

But we are all different: your solution may be different to mine.

Kia kaha

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Taking off your shoes will reduce whatever swelling you may have in your feet. And soaking them in a cold stream during the rest will have even more magical powers.
Great advice - a good reminder to give those best mates (your feet) a break .
On my first camino ., not knowing any tips for footcare ; my friend and I stopped to sit for a few minutes and have a rest/drink…. Took our shoes & socks off , because it was hot - & we poured some of the water over our feet to cool them (next best thing to a stream if there isn’t one handy !!). Aaaah. The relief it gave !! Priceless. Listen to those feet. 😀😁🎶.

Past OR future Camino
Portuguese Coastal {Feb-March 2020}
Camino Frances {March 2019 & 2020}
Walked 4 Camino's blister free. Used Leukotape P (ordered on amazon ) to tape all my toes, my heels and any other sensitive spots preventative. Then some good socks. (I wear Thorlo medium padded socks ) Works like magic. TAPE before you start walking every day. It helped me. best wishes
If using tape, particularly Leukotape, which has more adhesive than most tape, you should test it before your Camino to see if it leaves your skin pink, creates a rash, or blisters. For me the Leukotape left skin pink, rashes and multiple light blisters.

Snug fitting quality socks, like Darn Tough, Smart Wool, or Feetures, and body glide are a good start.

Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

trecile

Camino Addict
Past OR future Camino
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
If using tape, particularly Leukotape, which has more adhesive than most tape, you should test it before your Camino to see if it leaves your skin pink, creates a rash, or blisters. For me the Leukotape left skin pink, rashes and multiple light blisters.
That's one of the reasons that Iike Omnifix and Hypafix tapes. It's also has a bit of stretch to it, so it conforms easily to your feet. They adhere well, but remove easily. I like the 4 inch/10 cm wide tape because you can cover a large area without overlaps.

woody66

This is my boy !
Past OR future Camino
Walked 4 Camino's blister free. Used Leukotape P (ordered on amazon ) to tape all my toes, my heels and any other sensitive spots preventative. Then some good socks. (I wear Thorlo medium padded socks ) Works like magic. TAPE before you start walking every day. It helped me. best wishes
I echo Dutchwalkagain did exactly the same!!
I said this on another thread (no posted on Robo's youtube channel)

I tried the two sock and Vaseline routine walking Portuguese Coastal, Variant Espiritual a couple of weeks ago in temps around 24/25 degrees in non waterproof Hoka's my feet cooked and got my only blister!

Reverted to one pair of darn toughs and Leukotape P anywhere i thought might cause a prob,heel,little pinkies etc. Over the next 20 days with some 20 milers (got lost a lot 🤣 )and no troubles again.
Used hikers wool a couple of times but the tape worked for me stays on in the shower if you need to and didn't damage my skin.
Lots of helpful input on here as usual!
But as i found out on the Portuguese you will only know how it will go when you walk!(even if you prepare;i walked lots in the UK but only get warm rain here most of the time not 27 days around 25 degrees)
Whatever you decide blisters or not you will have a ball i did; just go with the flow and things will work out fine!
Oh and relax,once you finish that first day you'll know all the things you feared/worried about don't matter.
HAVE FUN
Woody

Sirage

Past OR future Camino
Le Puy to Santiago (2005), Porto to Santiago (2007), Vezelay for 200 kms (2009), From Seville, May (2015), Le Puy to Sangüesa (2016), Norte-Primitivo (Sep-Oct 2016)
In the spirit of over-prosecuting this case, the Omnifix type tapes are thin and have a good degree of stretch to easily go around toes and heels and balls of the feet. The thinness and degree of stretch avoids stress concentrations at the edge of the tape thereby avoiding secondary blisters.

The thick tapes can be too strong and stretch the skin at the edges of the tape causing secondary blisters at some of the edges.

For those desperate and use Compeed best practice is to cover it with Omnifix so the Compeed doesn't bleed into your socks and ruin them.

Past OR future Camino
cf (2), de la plata, cp. (2003 -2018)
Nobody will win this discussion 🤣🤣🤣. Ever! Keep it coming!

PS: IMHO: Compeed is one of the Devil's masterpieces ;). DS.
And the Devil plays all the best blues too! To sidle away from the main debate I found going up a size in boot from 8 to 8 and a half (43metric) solved my problems years ago! I was collecting blackened big toe nails like scalps! Now with super feet and smart wool Sox I seem to be doing fine. I still carry compeed tho just to make sure :)

Samarkand.

how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Past OR future Camino
cf (2), de la plata, cp. (2003 -2018)
In the spirit of over-prosecuting this case, the Omnifix type tapes are thin and have a good degree of stretch to easily go around toes and heels and balls of the feet. The thinness and degree of stretch avoids stress concentrations at the edge of the tape thereby avoiding secondary blisters.

The thick tapes can be too strong and stretch the skin at the edges of the tape causing secondary blisters at some of the edges.

For those desperate and use Compeed best practice is to cover it with Omnifix so the Compeed doesn't bleed into your socks and ruin them.
I used meths to clear compeed off my sox and as I was carrying a meths stove at the time didn't notice any extra weight. Just be careful when warming the tootsies :)

buen camino

samarkand.

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Past OR future Camino
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
I'm a tad confused as my Compeed or moleskin has never gotten stuck to my socks nor bled through to them.
The Omnifax sounds like a nice alternative being wide, stretchy and thin. I will give it a try out of curiosity.

Past OR future Camino
Next up 2022?
Omnifix.
The surgeon who turned me on to it said it's good on open wounds, as well as as a prevention.
The manfacturers say this:
Benefits
• Skin-friendly adhesive
• Soft and comfortable
• Highly permeable to air and water vapor
• Helps reduce potential for maceration
• Self-adhesive, non-woven
• Provides reliable adherence
Indications
Omnifix® is indicated for dressing retention and securing catheters, measuring instruments, probes and similar devices. Ideal for use on joints, round and angular parts of the body.
Funny, no mention of the camino. 🙃
(It has no latex, BTW.)

trecile

Camino Addict
Past OR future Camino
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
And it's widely available at farmacias in Spain.
In fact, that's where I learned about it. My friend wanted to buy some more moleskin, and Omnifix was suggested instead at a farmacia.

Jo McRae

Past OR future Camino
2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2016
Hi! Hiker’s wool is great when you feel you are getting a ‘hot spot’… Well before you get a blister. You put it between your foot and your sock, it usually does the trick. (It always has in my case, IF I spot it early enough.).
Only use it as prevention, no way if there is already a blister or even worse, broken skin.

Compeed is for blisters but I don’t use it any more. Nasty stuff.
I’ll let others say their bit 🙂 They may (will!) differ.
I agree completely!!

Pilgrim Pouch carry bags with different designs
A lightweight carry bag handy for walking, biking, traveling, & Caminos

Charbias

Past OR future Camino
St James Way ( 2011)
Portuguese Way - Lisbon to Porto ( 2020)
Hi! Hiker’s wool is great when you feel you are getting a ‘hot spot’… Well before you get a blister. You put it between your foot and your sock, it usually does the trick. (It always has in my case, IF I spot it early enough.).
Only use it as prevention, no way if there is already a blister or even worse, broken skin.

Compeed is for blisters but I don’t use it any more. Nasty stuff.
I’ll let others say their bit 🙂 They may (will!) differ.
I agree - it peeled and then ripped off the blister - very unpleasant experience. I've since learnt to tape every day - never had a blister since

Walkerooni

Past OR future Camino
C. Frances SJPdP to Santiago (June-ish 2018)
Walked about 15-18k/day for about 2 months before going. So I knew my boots/socks worked. I think that is half the battle. I met so many people incredulous at their foot problems, saying “I don’t know why I am having these issues—I went on two 10k walks before I left!” 🙄. I can’t speak to treating blisters, having never experienced one, but I can speak to prevention using Body Glide. It is like a dry stick deodorant. I applied to bottom of feet, top of instep, around heel, bottoms of toes, tops of toes, between toes, and no blisters. Zero. I met people using Compeed. I was disturbed by what it did to their skin. That ain’t normal!

Faye Walker

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF 2014, CF 2018, CP 2019 from Coimbra
Walked about 15-18k/day for about 2 months before going. So I knew my boots/socks worked. I think that is half the battle. I met so many people incredulous at their foot problems, saying “I don’t know why I am having these issues—I went on two 10k walks before I left!” 🙄. I can’t speak to treating blisters, having never experienced one, but I can speak to prevention using Body Glide. It is like a dry stick deodorant. I applied to bottom of feet, top of instep, around heel, bottoms of toes, tops of toes, between toes, and no blisters. Zero. I met people using Compeed. I was disturbed by what it did to their skin. That ain’t normal!

I love the Body a glide stick, and also the Compeed stick. My local chain pharmacy also makes their own brand and carries it in their Diabetic Footcare line (Life Brand). All are a bit pricey though, and so I am going to see if an un scented deodorant stick actually accomplishes the same thing for 1/5th the price.
will report back in spring…
most of my winter hikes are not long enough to know.

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Camino Madrid/San Salvador/Primitivo-2021
Until coming to these forums, I had no idea what compeed or hikers wool are… now I do, but I’m still confused… I don’t know if they address the same problem or different problems… should get either or … or both? If both - when to use which? Anything else I should know about foot care? At the end of the day - this seems to be the most important aspect of preparation… please advise.
I really do not understand why anyone would use either of these products. Compeed is messy and I am not sure what purpose it serves. Hikers wool, I have never used but seems unnecessary when tape or another simple solution will protect.

Pre-taping, as mentioned below on sensitive areas, works. Simple and easy to do.

If you feel a rub, stop and address it immediately. Tape, bandaid anything you have between the hot spot and friction area.

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino

I agree with this statement. If you do not want to tape everything every day you can just address issues when they start. Blisters do not form immediately. When you feel a hot spot, stop and tape it.

2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Faye Walker

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
I really do not understand why anyone would use either of these products. Compeed is messy and I am not sure what purpose it serves. Hikers wool, I have never used but seems unnecessary when tape or another simple solution will protect.

Pre-taping, as mentioned below on sensitive areas, works. Simple and easy to do.

If you feel a rub, stop and address it immediately. Tape, bandaid anything you have between the hot spot and friction area.
I use wool because I am allergic to many tape adhesives, and hate the feel of tape. Others may have different reasons, but what comes down to a matter of personal preference is not “wrong”.

Steven Baggs

Past OR future Camino
After meeting a Scotsman on the Hadrian’s Wall path earlier this year and trying out his method of picking up sheep’s wool and stuffing this in his boots I can say that I finally had my first blister free Camino on the Portuguese coastal in September. I will admit to having a few sheep of my own and actually preparing a washed a bag of fleece in advance. The lanolin in the wool probably helps as well. I also used this method earlier this week on the much shorter Camino Gran Canaria whilst walking for 2 days in sandals.
It’s important to remember though that everyone’s feet are different and no one method will work for everybody.

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Past OR future Camino
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
Another possibility to consider is 100% woollen socks.

They're effective to help dry out a blister, though they do in that case require aggressive cleaning and a need to change into clean socks twice daily, morning and midday.

They are not incompatible with hiker's wool (or compeed, though I'd personally never use this).

Steven Baggs

Past OR future Camino
I have found that the sheep fleece binds nicely to woollen socks and this helps the fleece stay in place around toes or heels. Having googled hikers wool I realise it is just a bag of nicely carded (combed) sheep’s wool washed, packaged and sold at an extortionate price. The price of a whole sheep fleece in the U.K. is about 50p, less than it costs to pay someone to sheer it off the sheep 😳. Just go for a walk in the countryside, it laying around all over the place in the springtime.

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
I use wool because I am allergic to many tape adhesives, and hate the feel of tape. Others may have different reasons, but what comes down to a matter of personal preference is not “wrong”.
My intent was not to offend anyone else approach to preventative maintenance.

I do not recall anywhere in my comments saying any method is "Wrong". People will utilize whatever means they are comfortable using.

I personally feel Compeed is not beneficial and messy. I stated I have no experience with hikers wool but feel there are simpler less expensive methods of preventative maintenance.

Best regards,
Joe

Last edited:
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Past OR future Camino
Future

Just got back from my camino. The only thing I ended up using was the hikers wool and I am beyond impressed! Not one blister! I am getting more of it so I can use it for my daily needs with all uncomfortable shoes I own, but love and until now couldn’t wear…

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Just got back from my camino. The only thing I ended up using was the hikers wool and I am beyond impressed! Not one blister! I am getting more of it so I can use it for my daily needs with all uncomfortable shoes I own, but love and until now couldn’t wear…
So, since I made my comment, I have read up on hikers wool. Lot's of positive comments. So I went to look up cost. An 18 gram bag costs $20. According to the website, that is a three day supply.^^.

As I have said, everyone should utilize what works best for them. I will stick with tape.

trecile

Camino Addict
Past OR future Camino
So, since I made my comment, I have read up on hikers wool. Lot's of positive comments. So I went to look up cost. An 18 gram bag costs $20. According to the website, that is a three day supply.^^.

As I have said, everyone should utilize what works best for them. I will stick with tape.
I've bought wool padding for less.
Here's four 10.9 gram packages for $11.86

Faye Walker

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
My intent was not to offend anyone else approach to preventative maintenance.

I do not recall anywhere in my comments saying any method is "Wrong". People will utilize whatever means they are comfortable using.

I personally feel Compeed is not beneficial and messy. I stated I have no experience with hikers wool but feel there are simpler methods of preventative maintenance.

Best regards,
Joe
The rhetoric of not understanding why anyone would use such a product and then declaring it unnecessary, and now trying to fob off a “just my opinion” rather than a passage of judgement on what others do…
Of course different people use what works… and what works may be outside of wha you Imagine…
we who choose wool over tape are not making what was implied to be a silly decision, but merely a personal one.
Fighting with someone about how they treat their own feet is rather pointless. I do caution people not to thread blisters, but if they want to do it, well, I have done my duty in warning of the dangers, and everything else is literally a matter of what works best for the individual walker.
I don’t use tape..l because I am allergic to it. Imagination expanded, I hope.

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated