• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Compeed vs hikers wool or both?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just remembered another simple tip, always take off your shoes when you are resting ,
This is SUCH a good tip. I remember on my very first Camino Francés, when I suffered from horrible blisters, my walking partner and I decided that taking off our shoes would make it much harder to get our feet back into the shoes at the end of the rest.

We were totally totally wrong. Taking off your shoes will reduce whatever swelling you may have in your feet. And soaking them in a cold stream during the rest will have even more magical powers.

consider getting a wider shoe, rather than simple going up several sizes

Should have mentioned that going up several sizes makes for a wider fitting as well as extra length..

For the brand I have used for 8 years now I have selected the widest fitting anyway.

In my case this is New Balance 4E fitting.

And a key feature in keeping heat build up out is the open weave top.

But we are all different: your solution may be different to mine.

Kia kaha

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Taking off your shoes will reduce whatever swelling you may have in your feet. And soaking them in a cold stream during the rest will have even more magical powers.
Great advice - a good reminder to give those best mates (your feet) a break .
On my first camino ., not knowing any tips for footcare ; my friend and I stopped to sit for a few minutes and have a rest/drink…. Took our shoes & socks off , because it was hot - & we poured some of the water over our feet to cool them (next best thing to a stream if there isn’t one handy !!). Aaaah. The relief it gave !! Priceless. Listen to those feet. 😀😁🎶.

Walked 4 Camino's blister free. Used Leukotape P (ordered on amazon ) to tape all my toes, my heels and any other sensitive spots preventative. Then some good socks. (I wear Thorlo medium padded socks ) Works like magic. TAPE before you start walking every day. It helped me. best wishes
If using tape, particularly Leukotape, which has more adhesive than most tape, you should test it before your Camino to see if it leaves your skin pink, creates a rash, or blisters. For me the Leukotape left skin pink, rashes and multiple light blisters.

Snug fitting quality socks, like Darn Tough, Smart Wool, or Feetures, and body glide are a good start.

If using tape, particularly Leukotape, which has more adhesive than most tape, you should test it before your Camino to see if it leaves your skin pink, creates a rash, or blisters. For me the Leukotape left skin pink, rashes and multiple light blisters.
That's one of the reasons that Iike Omnifix and Hypafix tapes. It's also has a bit of stretch to it, so it conforms easily to your feet. They adhere well, but remove easily. I like the 4 inch/10 cm wide tape because you can cover a large area without overlaps.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I will add to the drumbeats about the benefits of Omnifix. It's brilliant for prevention and treatment of blisters. I also use it over my hipbones where my pack can rub me the wrong way, as an ounce of prevention.

Walked 4 Camino's blister free. Used Leukotape P (ordered on amazon ) to tape all my toes, my heels and any other sensitive spots preventative. Then some good socks. (I wear Thorlo medium padded socks ) Works like magic. TAPE before you start walking every day. It helped me. best wishes
I echo Dutchwalkagain did exactly the same!!
I said this on another thread (no posted on Robo's youtube channel)

I tried the two sock and Vaseline routine walking Portuguese Coastal, Variant Espiritual a couple of weeks ago in temps around 24/25 degrees in non waterproof Hoka's my feet cooked and got my only blister!

Reverted to one pair of darn toughs and Leukotape P anywhere i thought might cause a prob,heel,little pinkies etc. Over the next 20 days with some 20 milers (got lost a lot 🤣 )and no troubles again.
Used hikers wool a couple of times but the tape worked for me stays on in the shower if you need to and didn't damage my skin.
Lots of helpful input on here as usual!
But as i found out on the Portuguese you will only know how it will go when you walk!(even if you prepare;i walked lots in the UK but only get warm rain here most of the time not 27 days around 25 degrees)
Whatever you decide blisters or not you will have a ball i did; just go with the flow and things will work out fine!
Oh and relax,once you finish that first day you'll know all the things you feared/worried about don't matter.
HAVE FUN
Woody

In the spirit of over-prosecuting this case, the Omnifix type tapes are thin and have a good degree of stretch to easily go around toes and heels and balls of the feet. The thinness and degree of stretch avoids stress concentrations at the edge of the tape thereby avoiding secondary blisters.

The thick tapes can be too strong and stretch the skin at the edges of the tape causing secondary blisters at some of the edges.

For those desperate and use Compeed best practice is to cover it with Omnifix so the Compeed doesn't bleed into your socks and ruin them.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Nobody will win this discussion 🤣🤣🤣. Ever! Keep it coming!

PS: IMHO: Compeed is one of the Devil's masterpieces ;). DS.
And the Devil plays all the best blues too! To sidle away from the main debate I found going up a size in boot from 8 to 8 and a half (43metric) solved my problems years ago! I was collecting blackened big toe nails like scalps! Now with super feet and smart wool Sox I seem to be doing fine. I still carry compeed tho just to make sure :)

Samarkand.

In the spirit of over-prosecuting this case, the Omnifix type tapes are thin and have a good degree of stretch to easily go around toes and heels and balls of the feet. The thinness and degree of stretch avoids stress concentrations at the edge of the tape thereby avoiding secondary blisters.

The thick tapes can be too strong and stretch the skin at the edges of the tape causing secondary blisters at some of the edges.

For those desperate and use Compeed best practice is to cover it with Omnifix so the Compeed doesn't bleed into your socks and ruin them.
I used meths to clear compeed off my sox and as I was carrying a meths stove at the time didn't notice any extra weight. Just be careful when warming the tootsies :)

buen camino

samarkand.

I'm a tad confused as my Compeed or moleskin has never gotten stuck to my socks nor bled through to them.
The Omnifax sounds like a nice alternative being wide, stretchy and thin. I will give it a try out of curiosity.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Omnifix.
The surgeon who turned me on to it said it's good on open wounds, as well as as a prevention.
The manfacturers say this:
Benefits
• Skin-friendly adhesive
• Soft and comfortable
• Highly permeable to air and water vapor
• Helps reduce potential for maceration
• Self-adhesive, non-woven
• Provides reliable adherence
Indications
Omnifix® is indicated for dressing retention and securing catheters, measuring instruments, probes and similar devices. Ideal for use on joints, round and angular parts of the body.
Funny, no mention of the camino. 🙃
(It has no latex, BTW.)

And it's widely available at farmacias in Spain.
In fact, that's where I learned about it. My friend wanted to buy some more moleskin, and Omnifix was suggested instead at a farmacia.

Hi! Hiker’s wool is great when you feel you are getting a ‘hot spot’… Well before you get a blister. You put it between your foot and your sock, it usually does the trick. (It always has in my case, IF I spot it early enough.).
Only use it as prevention, no way if there is already a blister or even worse, broken skin.

Compeed is for blisters but I don’t use it any more. Nasty stuff.
I’ll let others say their bit 🙂 They may (will!) differ.
I agree completely!!

Hi! Hiker’s wool is great when you feel you are getting a ‘hot spot’… Well before you get a blister. You put it between your foot and your sock, it usually does the trick. (It always has in my case, IF I spot it early enough.).
Only use it as prevention, no way if there is already a blister or even worse, broken skin.

Compeed is for blisters but I don’t use it any more. Nasty stuff.
I’ll let others say their bit 🙂 They may (will!) differ.
I agree - it peeled and then ripped off the blister - very unpleasant experience. I've since learnt to tape every day - never had a blister since

Walked about 15-18k/day for about 2 months before going. So I knew my boots/socks worked. I think that is half the battle. I met so many people incredulous at their foot problems, saying “I don’t know why I am having these issues—I went on two 10k walks before I left!” 🙄. I can’t speak to treating blisters, having never experienced one, but I can speak to prevention using Body Glide. It is like a dry stick deodorant. I applied to bottom of feet, top of instep, around heel, bottoms of toes, tops of toes, between toes, and no blisters. Zero. I met people using Compeed. I was disturbed by what it did to their skin. That ain’t normal!

Walked about 15-18k/day for about 2 months before going. So I knew my boots/socks worked. I think that is half the battle. I met so many people incredulous at their foot problems, saying “I don’t know why I am having these issues—I went on two 10k walks before I left!” 🙄. I can’t speak to treating blisters, having never experienced one, but I can speak to prevention using Body Glide. It is like a dry stick deodorant. I applied to bottom of feet, top of instep, around heel, bottoms of toes, tops of toes, between toes, and no blisters. Zero. I met people using Compeed. I was disturbed by what it did to their skin. That ain’t normal!

I love the Body a glide stick, and also the Compeed stick. My local chain pharmacy also makes their own brand and carries it in their Diabetic Footcare line (Life Brand). All are a bit pricey though, and so I am going to see if an un scented deodorant stick actually accomplishes the same thing for 1/5th the price.
will report back in spring…
most of my winter hikes are not long enough to know.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Until coming to these forums, I had no idea what compeed or hikers wool are… now I do, but I’m still confused… I don’t know if they address the same problem or different problems… should get either or … or both? If both - when to use which? Anything else I should know about foot care? At the end of the day - this seems to be the most important aspect of preparation… please advise.
I really do not understand why anyone would use either of these products. Compeed is messy and I am not sure what purpose it serves. Hikers wool, I have never used but seems unnecessary when tape or another simple solution will protect.

Pre-taping, as mentioned below on sensitive areas, works. Simple and easy to do.

If you feel a rub, stop and address it immediately. Tape, bandaid anything you have between the hot spot and friction area.

I agree with this statement. If you do not want to tape everything every day you can just address issues when they start. Blisters do not form immediately. When you feel a hot spot, stop and tape it.

I really do not understand why anyone would use either of these products. Compeed is messy and I am not sure what purpose it serves. Hikers wool, I have never used but seems unnecessary when tape or another simple solution will protect.

Pre-taping, as mentioned below on sensitive areas, works. Simple and easy to do.

If you feel a rub, stop and address it immediately. Tape, bandaid anything you have between the hot spot and friction area.
I use wool because I am allergic to many tape adhesives, and hate the feel of tape. Others may have different reasons, but what comes down to a matter of personal preference is not “wrong”.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
After meeting a Scotsman on the Hadrian’s Wall path earlier this year and trying out his method of picking up sheep’s wool and stuffing this in his boots I can say that I finally had my first blister free Camino on the Portuguese coastal in September. I will admit to having a few sheep of my own and actually preparing a washed a bag of fleece in advance. The lanolin in the wool probably helps as well. I also used this method earlier this week on the much shorter Camino Gran Canaria whilst walking for 2 days in sandals.
It’s important to remember though that everyone’s feet are different and no one method will work for everybody.

Another possibility to consider is 100% woollen socks.

They're effective to help dry out a blister, though they do in that case require aggressive cleaning and a need to change into clean socks twice daily, morning and midday.

They are not incompatible with hiker's wool (or compeed, though I'd personally never use this).

I have found that the sheep fleece binds nicely to woollen socks and this helps the fleece stay in place around toes or heels. Having googled hikers wool I realise it is just a bag of nicely carded (combed) sheep’s wool washed, packaged and sold at an extortionate price. The price of a whole sheep fleece in the U.K. is about 50p, less than it costs to pay someone to sheer it off the sheep 😳. Just go for a walk in the countryside, it laying around all over the place in the springtime.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I use wool because I am allergic to many tape adhesives, and hate the feel of tape. Others may have different reasons, but what comes down to a matter of personal preference is not “wrong”.
My intent was not to offend anyone else approach to preventative maintenance.

I do not recall anywhere in my comments saying any method is "Wrong". People will utilize whatever means they are comfortable using.

I personally feel Compeed is not beneficial and messy. I stated I have no experience with hikers wool but feel there are simpler less expensive methods of preventative maintenance.

Best regards,
Joe

Last edited:

Just got back from my camino. The only thing I ended up using was the hikers wool and I am beyond impressed! Not one blister! I am getting more of it so I can use it for my daily needs with all uncomfortable shoes I own, but love and until now couldn’t wear…

Just got back from my camino. The only thing I ended up using was the hikers wool and I am beyond impressed! Not one blister! I am getting more of it so I can use it for my daily needs with all uncomfortable shoes I own, but love and until now couldn’t wear…
So, since I made my comment, I have read up on hikers wool. Lot's of positive comments. So I went to look up cost. An 18 gram bag costs $20. According to the website, that is a three day supply.^^.

As I have said, everyone should utilize what works best for them. I will stick with tape.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So, since I made my comment, I have read up on hikers wool. Lot's of positive comments. So I went to look up cost. An 18 gram bag costs $20. According to the website, that is a three day supply.^^.

As I have said, everyone should utilize what works best for them. I will stick with tape.
I've bought wool padding for less.
Here's four 10.9 gram packages for $11.86

My intent was not to offend anyone else approach to preventative maintenance.

I do not recall anywhere in my comments saying any method is "Wrong". People will utilize whatever means they are comfortable using.

I personally feel Compeed is not beneficial and messy. I stated I have no experience with hikers wool but feel there are simpler methods of preventative maintenance.

Best regards,
Joe
The rhetoric of not understanding why anyone would use such a product and then declaring it unnecessary, and now trying to fob off a “just my opinion” rather than a passage of judgement on what others do…
Of course different people use what works… and what works may be outside of wha you Imagine…
we who choose wool over tape are not making what was implied to be a silly decision, but merely a personal one.
Fighting with someone about how they treat their own feet is rather pointless. I do caution people not to thread blisters, but if they want to do it, well, I have done my duty in warning of the dangers, and everything else is literally a matter of what works best for the individual walker.
I don’t use tape..l because I am allergic to it. Imagination expanded, I hope.

Wikipedia begs to differ:
Whatever. I am not the only person who has personally witnessed the STRONG adhesive in Compeed ripping skin off of the victim. But Compeed, like Moleskin, is perfect to prevent the shoe or sock from rubbing directly on the skin. What good is "helping it heal" if you later rip the skin off?

A bag of washed fleece/ wool ready for spinning is very cheap. Or if you
know someone who has sheep....

What good is "helping it heal" if you later rip the skin off?

Compeed is not to be used like a regular band-aid and replaced daily. Leave it in place for about a week until it falls off.

There must be some type of chemical reaction when Compeed is exposed to air or body heat that turns it into a gooey putty. After about a week it dries up and falls off.

-Paul

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Compeed is not to be used like a regular band-aid and replaced daily. Leave it in place for about a week until it falls off.

There must be some type of chemical reaction when Compeed is exposed to air or body heat that turns it into a gooey putty. After about a week it dries up and falls off.

-Paul
I agree, although my Compeed always came off easily in about 4 days with no problems on hot spots . I've not had any of the bad experiences others have shared on this thread.

Wikipedia begs to differ:
Wikipedia is crowdsourced, so who knows who slipped that in. Harm can come from trusting a source that might have a vested interest.

I believed compeed's hype about using them on blisters and paid the price. Never ever again.

Now I use paper tape or omnifix and hiker's wool as preventatives. Which I use depends on location: omnifix on heels, paper tape plus hikers wool around a few predictably problematic toes.

An 18 gram bag costs $20. According to the website, that is a three day supply.^^.
That's not my experience, at all. A small bag (½ oz?) I bought in 2017 lasted 2½ years. I think it was CVS brand. Check around locally, rather than getting the expensive hyped stuff. Lambswool is lambswool.

Last edited:
I would urge people to consider getting a wider shoe, rather than simple going up several sizes, which changes the fit at different places. Unfortunately, too few shoes (especially for women) are available in wide, but that is one reason I always ask for them.
I totally agree. Fortunately I have narrow feet do it was easy for me and I didn't get a blister. Most blisters occur on side of feet rather than toes.

€149,-
When used correctly, Compeed works extremely well. It should left on to reduce friction and protect injury until it heals. In my experience the Compeed will begin to breakdown in about 4 to 6 days and is usually washed off in the shower.

I'd also highly recommend testing adhesives before you start a camino. In my case, the adhesive in Lueko tape caused a rash and water blisters on the soles of my feet.

I also found Engo Blister prevention patches to work very well. They really reduce friction.

Whatever. I am not the only person who has personally witnessed the STRONG adhesive in Compeed ripping skin off of the victim. But Compeed, like Moleskin, is perfect to prevent the shoe or sock from rubbing directly on the skin. What good is "helping it heal" if you later rip the skin off?
I am sure that you are right, and that there are many people who have witnessed this. Without having seen the incidents that you or they have seen, let me suggest that these incidents are the result of not using Compeed in accordance with the instructions on at least two key points:
  1. Someone has applied Compeed to a blister with the roof intact. That is not what it was intended for, and while using it this way is not in itself cause a problem, it does when people ignore that other parts of the use instructions,
  2. They then remove the Compeed, rather than let the Compeed dressing come away from the skin without being pulled off. This will take several days, and it does take some discipline not to prod around and lift the edges of the Compeed to see how things are healing under it.
If both of these deviations from the instructions happen, then the skin from the roof of the blister will be removed along with the Compeed dressing. I suspect this has nothing to do with the adhesive power of Compeed, but the action of the colloidal component of the dressing bonding with the skin.

I also suspect that if more people followed the instructions, there would be much less harm and much more healing. Perhaps we would be better served observing these than blaming the product when it is being mis-used.

A bag of washed fleece/ wool ready for spinning is very cheap. Or if you
know someone who has sheep....
One of the reasons that Hikers Wool and raw wool helps is that raw/unwashed wool contains natural lanolin from the sheep. The lanolin is great for stressed skin.

Commercial wool sold to consumers for knitting and the like has had the natural lanolin washed out when the wool is processed. This means that a "a bag of washed fleece/ wool" is a lot less useful than raw wool or Hikers Wool. It does still have some cushioning value but many other things such as cotton balls also provide cushioning.

Best advice is to use raw wool, pick some off the barb wire fence as you walk along. Next best, if you are nervous about hygiene, is to pay for Hikers Wool.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The hikers wool I have came from NZ! I know from comments made by @Turga that it is also available in northern Europe. I can attest to its effectiveness. I still have a fair amount in a bag if anybody is stuck and passes by this city (Dublin), and is hurting! I have not read the entire thread. I can say that the commercial preventative thing starting with C made such a mess of my poor feet just before the CF that I will never again even look at it! I have been party to needle and thread treatment. My walking companion is a medic, and we followed the age old rules: sterilise, sterilise, sterilise. Worked every time. But back to the question: as always on the forum: it is what works for you! 🤣 Just don't offer me Compeed!

The instructions for removing Compeed are simple. I’m surprised how little they are known. They are: Don‘t remove it. If you want or need to remove it, do not pull upwards; instead, stretch it slowly along the skin and/or remove it in warm water. It is easy to do and painless. I have used Compeed on closed and open blisters and would do so again. Doing so is not a contra-indication.

I always have Hiker’s Wool and Compeed in my backpack and know when I want to use which product for the feet/toe blister issues that developed late in life and cannot be prevented by the appropriate choice of socks or shoes. When I was younger, no blisters developed and no prevention or intervention was needed. Those days are over.

Last edited:
Doctor Rebecca Rushton is an expert on sports blisters. On her webpage below she discusses Compeed and other hydrocolloid dressings for treating blisters. If you don't care to visit here is her advice:
1) Don't use Compeed for blister prevention.
2) Don't use Compeed when a blister has a roof.
3) Use Compeed for blisters that have no roof.
4) Tape the EDGES of the Compeed bandage.

If you want to see Rushton's qualifications:

The homepage of her website is at:
https://www.blister-prevention.com/

To see more from Dr. Rushton about Compeed and hydrocolloid dressings do this Google search:
site:blister-prevention.com compeed

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I can't speak to hiker's wool, having no experience with it. Many people seem to have great success with it. On the Compeed side, I know many people also claim great success. But I am made wary by what I heard at the podiatry clinic I took my son to in Astorga where they seemed to hate Compeed with a passion.

I was introduced to compeed back on my first camino in 2000, where it was very popular. I had mixed luck with it and don’t carry it any more. At that time, just as now, there were very strong opinions on the question whether it is to be put on an open blister or one that is fully in tact. According to compeedusa.com, it can be used on both.

For people who use them on big blisters, and who will continue walking long distances in the same shoes that gave them the blisters, I think it’s inevitable that no matter how great the adhesion, they frequently come loose and cause the painful results many have experienced.

I have learned that blisters are not inevitable and have enjoyed many blister-free caminos now that I have the right shoes. But on those occasions when a blister starts, the key is to give it immediate attention and make sure it doesn’t grow larger. Compeed might be as good as any other remedy for that purpose, but I wouldn’t use it on a big blister, be it open or closed.

Use Compeed for blisters that have no roof.
My story is a cautionary tale.
My bad experience with Compeed was not the rip the skin off or soggy sticky socks variety of bad.
I developed an infection under the Compeed (used on a de-roofed blister).
I thought I cleaned the blister well - it certainly hurt like hell - but must have missed an area under what was left of the roof of the blister.
The result was not nice.

So. If you use the stuff, sterilize the heck out of that de-roofed blister before you put it on.

€60,-
Doctor Rebecca Rushton is an expert on sports blisters. On her webpage below she discusses Compeed and other hydrocolloid dressings for treating blisters. If you don't care to visit here is her advice:
1) Don't use Compeed for blister prevention.
2) Don't use Compeed when a blister has a roof.
3) Use Compeed for blisters that have no roof.
4) Tape the EDGES of the Compeed bandage.
That's a good site, thank you. I am not an expert in other people's blister management, just in my own. I guess one point that is often overlooked is this one: Once you have a nasty raw blister you should allow it to heal. And that means no massive walking onslaught for a few days ... Something that many people apparently feel unable to do. 😇 :cool:

Another thing about hiker's wool: I get mine from NZ, overseas postage and all. I have never found hiker's wool in shops for hiking gear and hiking outfit in Europe, it seems to be an unknown product. You can get fairly untreated sheep wool with high lanolin content in European countries in some alternative shops for healthcare articles, either proper shops or online shops; the products that I have tried come close to the real thing but the Hiker's Wool from New Zealand is still the best, imho.

PS: Look for Heilwolle ("healing wool") in German for example.

Last edited:
So. If you use the stuff, sterilize the heck out of that de-roofed blister before you put it on.
I was just reading a few more of Rushton's articles after posting #142 above. On one webpage she says that most hydrocolloid bandages are not sterile. She has her own brand of hydrocolloid bandage that is, BlisterPod. They also allow you to easily see the gel that gets formed. You leave the bandage on until the gel reaches an edge of the bandage. Her brand also comes with size matched fixation tape to fight socks attempting to rip off the bandage.

I was just reading a few more of Rushton's articles after posting #142 above. On one webpage she says that most hydrocolloid bandages are not sterile. She has her own brand of hydrocolloid bandage that is, BlisterPod. They also allow you to easily see the gel that gets formed. You leave the bandage on until the gel reaches an edge of the bandage. Her brand also comes with size matched fixation tape to fight socks attempting to rip off the bandage.
Thanks so much for all this information. I have watched her video on compeed. It’s very helpful and informative. Some questions/comments/ideas —

She shows a completely “de-roofed” blister (love that word) as being the only type that should get a compeed covering. That de-roofing could not have happened without someone using scissors to carefully remove the cover. She talks about the roof wearing off from walking, but based on what I have seen, to get the roof completely off as that picture shows requires cutting.

Given @VN’s experience with infection forming under the compeed, is it possible that a better and less risky approach would be to remove the roof, clean carefully and apply antibacterial cream and then cover with gauze and a good tape. Those can easily be removed daily and the blister re-cleaned and cream re-applied. I guess you lose the healing benefit that comes from the hydrocolloid, but you don’t have the problem that you can’t get the compeed off without causing further damage, and you can clean the blister regularly.

What am I missing?

p.s. And I confess that this is the method I have used successfully on tiny blisters that have popped up sporadically over the years. But I have never suggested it to others on the camino when they use some of the other methods like needle and thread or compeed. I have found that blister treatment is something that people have VERY strong opinions on, so I stay out of those discussions.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
At that time, just as now, there were very strong opinions on the question whether it is to be put on an open blister or one that is fully in tact. According to compeedusa.com, it can be used on both.
Yeah, if you have developed a blister that still has a roof you might get by protecting it from bumps with a hydrocolloid gel cushion but that doesn't use the bandage the way it was intended. Using it that way is okay if after the marathon you are on the couch for a few days waiting for your rubber bands to turn back into muscles. In other words protecting your protective bandage from tearing off your foot with the blister's roof attached to it. A big difference from walking a week full of 25 km days with a wool sock attempting to rip the bandage off every time you air your feet or change your socks.

And why would a company say you can use their product in a way not intended I a$k you?

I have found that blister treatment is something that people have VERY strong opinions on, so I stay out of those discussions.
That's why I check on the reasons why a treatment method is to be used; you can attempt to keep someone from doing something dangerous. Also it may alert you to when there is some reason why the generally used treatment may be a bad idea.

She shows a completely “de-roofed” blister (love that word) as being the only type that should get a compeed covering. That de-roofing could not have happened without someone using scissors to carefully remove the cover. She talks about the roof wearing off from walking, but based on what I have seen, to get the roof completely off as that picture shows requires cutting.
I've gotten completely de-roofed blisters from just walking in my younger and dumber days.

Given @VN’s experience with infection forming under the compeed, is it possible that a better and less risky approach would be to remove the roof,
I'm not a doctor so I've got to be really careful here. I can't see how removing the loose skin from a torn blister would be bad but all the medical advice I've read has said NOT to do it. Google:
treatment torn blister foot

My thought is that if the wound is disinfected and a sterile bandage is put on with adhesive all around the edges you should be okay. If a sock, especially a dirty sock, lifts the edge then things could go bad.

Last edited:
The instructions for removing Compeed are simple. I’m surprised how little they are known. They are: Don‘t remove it. If you want or need to remove it, do not pull upwards; instead, stretch it slowly along the skin and/or remove it in warm water. It is easy to do and painless. I have used Compeed on closed and open blisters and would do so again. Doing so is not a contra-indication.

I always have Hiker’s Wool and Compeed in my backpack and know when I want to use which product for the feet/toe blister issues that developed late in life and cannot be prevented by the appropriate choice of socks or shoes. When I was younger, no blisters developed and no prevention or intervention was needed. Those days are over.
@Kathar1na , on my first Camino, I used compeed. I knew and understood and followed the instructions. I never tried to remove it. It just….. removed itself, a little bit at a time (the edges). And started sticking to my socks! It was a mess.
Never again 😁😉

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
And started sticking to my socks! It was a mess.
Never again 😁😉
Ripping one's skin off and not being able to get the goo out of one's socks, not even after washing them in the washing machine, are probably the two most common complaints about Compeed. I am tempted to say that one then either learns from one's mistakes or gives up on using it.

My socks are Compeed free (I learnt how to remove the stuff) and I carry a small supply of Compeed in different shapes in my backpack and use it wisely for my purposes (heel - rarely; toes - more often). :cool:

@Kathar1na , on my first Camino, I used compeed. I knew and understood and followed the instructions. I never tried to remove it. It just….. removed itself, a little bit at a time (the edges). And started sticking to my socks! It was a mess.
Never again 😁😉
That's why Rebecca Rushton recommends that you should always use a fixation tape (Fixomull, Omnifix, Hypafix, etc.) to hold the edges down.

Feet anatomy and thermoregulation are very individual of course, but proper socks are instrumental. I would say they have to snug fit but not too tight otherwise there is a risk of loosing toenails 😫
If one is aiming for 40+ km daily, then some hotspots may develop regardless. Taping them and putting some grease between toes is a must then.
Finally staying well hydrated at all time will reduce feet swelling and blistering risk considerably.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

What am I missing?
I think you are seeing this through the eyes of a walker, not a competitive long distance runner, which is where Rebecca Rushton does most of her professional and voluntary work. In the context of a long distance endurance running event, I suggest it is much more likely both to form a large blister and then to de-roof it. Just as much as one might encourage participants in these events to stop and treat their blisters while they are still hot spots, there will always be people who push on.

Walkers do the same. It is now some time since I was the blister fixer on an organised Camino, the Camino Salvado. But it was evident then that some of the participants didn't want help. Towards the end, one of them revealed a large blister along the side of her foot that must have started forming several days beforehand, and only when it was almost impossible for her to walk did she seek help.

So while I think it is is completely unnecessary to have a blister de-roof, it isn't impossible for a walker to let their blisters get to this stage. I think it might be rare, but someone like @David might have a much better understanding of how bad the pilgrims he has treated have let things get.

I'd also highly recommend testing adhesives before you start a camino.

Training for the Camino should result in a practice blister enabling you to also practice bister care. If you are not getting a blister during training, you are probably not training hard enough.

-Paul

Training for the Camino should result in a practice blister enabling you to also practice bister care. If you are not getting a blister during training, you are probably not training hard enough.

-Paul
Not necessarily! It could mean that you are paying attention to hot spots on your feet and treating them promptly.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just what you need - another person chiming in. But I've finally succumbed to the temptation to add to this thread.

I have had a relatively blister free camino history, as has my husband.

We had one bad experience with a Compeed but, to be honest, I am pretty sure it was pilgrim error and not the fault of the Compeed - i.e we pulled it off too soon - we still bear the mental scars of the horror that followed ...

It's likely as much good luck as good management, but we do put a lot of focus on prevention. The right style and size shoe for you are fundamental, as is hydration. Some of the other things I have always done which may or may not contribute to blister free walking:
  • Wearing thin 'coolmax' sock liners, plus Lightfeet walking socks have kept my feet both cushioned and dry even walking on the hottest day
  • I take socks and shoes off at least a few times a day and massage my feet
  • I immerse my feet in cold water at day's end (or run the cold water on them in the shower) - and during the day if it's particularly hot
  • I massage my feet every night - feet have more ligaments and tendons than most parts of the body (or so a podiatrist once told me). I am counting on them and feel they deserve a bit of TLC
  • I rub paw paw cream (an Australian thing) or vaseline on my feet every night - softens any rough edges - with a v light sock over.
  • I almost never do the above in the morning. I don't want to start the day with 'damp' or 'greasy' feet. The exception is if I have a particularly rough spot but I make sure the cream is well soaked in before I put on my socks.
  • At the first hint of a sore spot or rubbing, I use Hikers Wool (yes the NZ one) or tape depending on where the problem is.
  • Although this hasn't happened yet, if a hot spot or blister was causing me to hobble, I would rest for however long it took. I think the hobbling can really compound the problem and suddenly knees and hips are part of the equation!
I don't know which, if any, of these things are the 'magic' that's helped over the years - but my regime has been successful so far - so I dare not change anything.

Hope some of that may be useful / worth a try. Happy Trails.😎

Last edited by a moderator:
I am one who has never done anything to my feet on the Camino. No lotion, no vaseline, no liner socks, and I've had only one tiny blister in five various Caminos from bounding like a rabbit on a rocky downhill on the Le Puy. I do air out my feet when I stop for lunch and any rare hot spots are successfully treated with Compeed in a couple of days.
I think our feet are all different and some need more pampering than others for a good outcome.

Last edited:
If you are not getting a blister during training, you are probably not training hard enough.
The logic is a bit iffy here.

If you believe that blisters are preventable, maybe your training is entirely adequate, and your current methods have worked for you.

If you think blisters are unavoidable, and your objective is entirely to get practice treating them, then maybe it makes a bit of sense to train until blisters appear. You could even wear too-small shoes without socks to encourage them. However, this seems like a dumb approach to training.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am one who has never done anything to my feet on the Camino … I think our feet are all different and some need more pampering than others for a good outcome.

Very fortunate. You and my husband Domi both. Thé list i mentioned above is MY regime. His involves no lotions or pampering. So, go figure.

Anyway it works for me, so I’m not deviating 😎

Very fortunate. You and my husband Domi both. Thé list i mentioned above is MY regime. His involves no lotions or pampering. So, go figure.

Anyway it works for me, so I’m not deviating 😎
I'm sure your list of helpful hints will be beneficial to many who may give them a try.

I've only once used Hikers wool but it ended up wet string between my toes so I passed it on to others. However I do love Compeed used in the correct way. I always take plenty with me and buy along the way. I'm a retired nurse and know to leave it on until it comes off itself, for unroofed blisters I use Betadine ointment on gauze and taped securely.

Not necessarily! It could mean that you are paying attention to hot spots on your feet and treating them promptly.
I totally agree. Trust me, I trained PLENTY and never got a blister due to PREVENTATIVE taping my feet at the area's that I thought might cause and issue. (I tape each toe, my heels and balls of my feet. And make sure the tape sits on smooth without a single wrinkle) I also keep my nails short and check daily to make sure there are no sharp edges on my nails.

Ripping one's skin off and not being able to get the goo out of one's socks, not even after washing them in the washing machine, are probably the two most common complaints about Compeed. I am tempted to say that one then either learns from one's mistakes or gives up on using it.

My socks are Compeed free (I learnt how to remove the stuff) and I carry a small supply of Compeed in different shapes in my backpack and use it wisely for my purposes (heel - rarely; toes - more often). :cool:
Well, i am glad it worked for you 🙂 It obviously works for many other people too.
I for one decided never to use it again 🙂
We all differ 😉

Just don't wash it with soap or you will remove the lanolin. It is okay, though, to pick the sticks and other debris out.
Now there is great new way to get your hikers wool. On this site:
https://mykiwisheep.com/
you can adopt a Merino Sheep and then when your sheep is shorn they will process the fleece in any way that you want and then send it to you.

So all you need to do is ask them to give the fleece a bit of a clean and then post it over to you. You will then have a lifetime supply of hikers wool and enough left over to share with your friends 🐑🐏🐑

Now there is great new way to get your hikers wool. On this site:
https://mykiwisheep.com/
you can adopt a Merino Sheep and then when your sheep is shorn they will process the fleece in any way that you want and then send it to you.

So all you need to do is ask them to give the fleece a bit of a clean and then post it over to you. You will then have a lifetime supply of hikers wool and enough left over to share with your friends 🐑🐏🐑

I see there is a sale on currently, so now is the time to adopt your sheep :D

Until coming to these forums, I had no idea what compeed or hikers wool are… now I do, but I’m still confused… I don’t know if they address the same problem or different problems… should get either or … or both? If both - when to use which? Anything else I should know about foot care? At the end of the day - this seems to be the most important aspect of preparation… please advise.
Start out to NOT use anything at all! Make sure your feet are clean and then as a preventative step tape off your possible sensitive spots on your feet with said protective tape. Walk as long as you want and NEVER remove the tape until it falls of under the shower or by itself! buen Camino

Good socks, make sure feet gets loads of air once finished and assuming your shoes for blisters shouldn’t be a prob in my experience

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
"Compeed" is a brand name that makes numerous products for foot care. It might be helpful to state which product one is referring to when offering help. 1) I use Compeed Foot Glide anti friction stick liberally on my feet every morning before walking. I've found it isn't greasy and washes easily out of toe sox even in cold water 2) I agree with other responders here that the blister covers were not the best...they hold in moisture and the adhesive sticks to sox like glue ( I've treated hundreds of pilgrim feet as I'm a nurse, and have seen blisters made much worse by the blister covers ) 3) I was given a bit of lambswool for a heel blister that occurred regardless of care and was hard to heal up and the wool was a godsend.
So my two cents? bring a bit of wool if it's available to you, it weighs nothing...and bring Compeed Glide for feet to avoid needing anything else ...good luck in your foot care research!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.