• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Compeed vs. Tape

Tad

I was in Eastern Mountain Sports looking at socks and got to talking with the grizzled gentlemen who worked there. His statement, "Compeed? Naw, never use it. I take some Gorilla Tape [note: if not familiar, it's a heavily reinforced version of duct tape]. I can use it to stick it over a blister or use it to repair something."

I know nothing about Compeed beyond people say:
  1. Don't buy the U.S. stuff; wait until you get to Europe.
  2. Leave it on until it falls off.
Can anyone educate me on this? Is Compeed just a super tape and any super tape would work, or is it something more/better/different?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Gorilla or duck tape works really well as not only does it protect the area but it makes the sore point slidy in the boot .. but you have to put a padding over the blister or sore point before using the tape. Otherwise you can really have problems when trying to remove it!!
Sometimes, if the hurt is in an awkward area tape cannot be used.

Compeed is a great plaster, it is padded, has chemicals to promote healing, and seals all the way round, so no dirt can get in and healing is undisturbed - but the problem with that is that if you don't get the area astoundingly clean and then dry before you put it on then all you have done is to set up a sealed petrie dish, where those microbes can really get going! Also, pilgrims walk day after day ... domestic use is, say, a blister on the heel .. you put on the compeed at home and change shoes ... but out on the Camino you pound your feet every day, all day .... so they don't always adhere properly.
But they are great - I keep them in my first aid kits and use quite a lot of them, as I do duck tape - all depending on the particular hurt and where it is.

My own opinion only of course

It really depends on what works for you.
While it works for some, it doesn't work for me. I had a blister even with Compeed wrapped around my toe area and I guess it was not clean enough and when the compeed came off so did my skin.
Tape works better for me. It prevent blister (at least for me) and I just retape a new one every day.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Compeed is wet-wound technology. It contains material that absorbs fluid from a blister. The adhesive is very strong, so it must be removed carefully if you do not wait for it to come off naturally. Tape is cheaper for reducing friction before a blister forms, but is just tape once you have a blister. It is as likely as Compeed to remove skin when it is removed, though perhaps not good skin!

Compeed is wet-wound technology. It contains material that absorbs fluid from a blister. The adhesive is very strong, so it must be removed carefully if you do not wait for it to come off naturally. Tape is cheaper for reducing friction before a blister forms, but is just tape once you have a blister. It is as likely as Compeed to remove skin when it is removed, though perhaps not good skin!

True, Falcon - but one should always put a dressing under tape, whether dressing tape or gaffer tape - then there is no problem.

Has anyone tried Aloe Vera Gel, or Sudocrem (usually sold as nappy cream) out on the Camino? At home the former seems to work well on small cuts or burns and the latter on sore or dry skin. Presumably this might then need a cover too while walking, but I was thinking about use overnight or before a true blister formed.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Gorilla tape is so strong it will take off skin. It is also thick and apt to wrinkle. I've found some duct tape which is thinner, conforms well and eventually comes off nicely. I've also found duct tape which falls off at the first sign of sweat......I'll try to figure out which brand is good and post it.

The thin micropore surgical (paper-like) tape works best, as it's so thin, I use it in friction areas to PREVENT blisters. Doesn't come off until you want it to, but when you do pull it off, it doesn't hurt at all or pull off skin. Doesn't peel at the edges, doesn't roll or buckle, and a big roll of it is not only cheap, but very light weight. can use it to repair a blister too, by just adding a soft cushioning of cotton wool with medication if you want, and then cover with the tape. It's so comfortable, you don't even realise it's on...

I was in Eastern Mountain Sports looking at socks and got to talking with the grizzled gentlemen who worked there. His statement, "Compeed? Naw, never use it. I take some Gorilla Tape [note: if not familiar, it's a heavily reinforced version of duct tape]. I can use it to stick it over a blister or use it to repair something."

Can anyone educate me on this? Is Compeed just a super tape and any super tape would work, or is it something more/better/different?
Forget compeed...it's messy. Instead, opt for a second skin blister kit by Spenco...they sell them at REI and they work great!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think the Camino is a very special way to heal our physical and psychological problems but ...as the old saying: no pain, no gain. The problem is not whether to use Compeed or not Compeed but any other brand: the problems is the lesson you receive from your own body which teaches you each day and shows you how muvh you are able and ready to carry on. So if this is a blister (and many Spanish people told I will learn so much about my feet as I never though before), you can bravely use any way and method to heal it, which is known or traditional for you. The only thing you have to consider, to avoid get infected. You can leave them dry, if you want. You can use the traditional Camino-method with thread and needle, if you want. You can use any medical service for free in some pilgrim-points, if you want. You can use cheap strip-tapes and the most expensive and super tapes - the result is the same: no Camino without blisters but the experience of the WAY worth it. Buen Camino.

no Camino without blisters but the experience of the WAY worth it.
Prevention works. I have thirteen Compostelas and have never had a blister. Discomfort, yes. Misery, no. Read and heed the advice on blister prevention. It is your own fault if you get them. Boots must fit. Feet must stay dry. Friction must be minimized. Breaks must be taken. Hot spots must be treated as soon as they are felt. Blisters are not inevitable!:)

I tried Compeed and found it very messy and not any more effective than bandaids. I was mostly using bandages as preventative. I didn't get any blisters. However, the most effective treatment for my hotspots was moleskin. Moleskin saved me! I used it in various places all over my feet and it was great!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Give the moles a break, no animals are harmed in the production of Compeed.... seriously, Compeed is my choice , but yes never go anywhere without Micropore tape .

Don't like Compeed, if it comes out of the side and gets on your socks it is very very difficult to remove from them. If you have a problem due to moisture or inexperience in using it, then Compeed will take your skin off. I would avoid Compeed!!!

Didn't like Compeed. Like many others, sticky, messy on socks, hard to remove without lifting skin.
I used a barrier cream, Silic 15, available in Australia. Coated my feet every day. Wore woollen socks. When I felt a pressure point, applied a piece of gauze ( cut a small bandage up) and taped with medical tape. At the end of each day I massaged my feet with foot balm Had one tiny blister. Everyone is different but this ritual worked for me. Happy feet = happy pilgrim.
Anne

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.