• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Compeed

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
I wanted to do a post about Compeed. I saw some on here, but they were long, so I thought I'd start a new one.

Compeed! They do not have it in Oregon, or at least I've never seen it. But it is WONDERFUL! Buy it ahead of time and slap it on any hotspots you have on your feet as soon as you notice them, BEFORE they become blisters. It's amazing -- stays on for days -- even in the shower. And keeps you from getting blisters.

We also found these weird little tubes. They were part gauze-like and part jell-like. You cut it and slipped it over your toes to keep them from rubbing together. We got both the Compeed and the tubing at the Pharmacia (look for the GREEN CROSS) for reasonable prices.

Lastly, the care we got in Trinidad de Arre by the Pharmacist there was incredible. He pulled out a chair, sat joe down, cleaned and dressed his wound. Then he only charged us about 4 Euro for the treatment and a tube of antibiotic cream. It was amazing!

If you have any problems, just look for the big GREEN CROSS!

D

Deleted member 3000

Johnson and Johnson sells Compeed in the U.S. under its Band-Aid brand. It is in most pharmacy chains.

omar504

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016,2017,2018
I found the Farmacias in Spain well stocked with blister remedies.I had some skin rubbed off a heel one day and bought a packet of heel plasters-they came in a curved plastic container made by Aquamed. They stayed on for ages and cushioned the area and contained aloe vera.

Arn

Veteran Member
Anniesantiago cautioned: BEFORE they become blisters.

READ THIS AGAIN...BEFORE...BEFORE...they become a blister!

Once compeed...or any similar adhesive is applied...it BONDS to the blister and...the only successful way to remove is to cut it off...leaving an open wound that can become infected and slow, or curtail your ability to continue.

The key here is to apply when the HOT SPOT reveals itself. That's when you stop and take the time to apply the PREVENTATIVE application. Here's my observation: women will stop and apply the dressing when they determine they are uncomfortable...thus, fewer disabling blisters. Guys will GUT IT OUT and ignore the early warning signs...pressing on to their next scheduled stop, before they take care of the hot spot...which is now a blister. Not a good thing!

Buen hot footin' isn't high steppin' Camino
Arn

30daystosantiago

Camino(s) past & future
2002 solo and 2013 with wife and toddler
I don't know anything about Compeed...but would offer the suggestion to perhaps invest in good footwear for the Camino as a way to avoid blisters. I wore inexpensive hiking shoes with heel inserts (that were the proper fit) and 1-2 pair of smart wool socks each day...results: no blisters in 500 miles! Of course everyone's feet are different...but I saw some on the Camino who made what seemed to be really bad choices in foot wear...cotton socks, combat boots, etc etc...

N

nathanael

I agree I had no blisters on my partly Camino of 280 kl. and I believe all to a liner sock plus smart wool sock...my walking companion from Hungry was always taking care of his blisters while I was having nice lattes and visiting church's when we stopped for a rest...Hey Imre where are you? Peace everyone...
n

Camino(s) past & future
2002, Toulouse/Aragon 2005, Cami S Jaume/Aragon 2007/9, Mont Saint Michel/Norte/Vadiniense 2011, Norte/Primitivo 2013, Norte/Primitivo 2014. Norte 2015, Cami S Jaume/Castellano-Aragonese 2016
Good footwear and socks, and not pushing yourself too much were the key for me. My second Camino (Toulouse to Santiago) only reaped two blisters and my third (Montserrat-Santiago) none. That having been said, Arn's advice should be engraved on the inside of the eyelids of first-time pilgrims. I might note that I have a small shrine to the Compeed deity in my guest room, with a small candle available for orisons and oblations.

A

Anonymous

Compeed shrine? love it! - and a bell to bring the limpers in ..? :lol:

My step-father was raf regiment during the war (Europe, round two) and he said that on marches they would stop for 5 minutes every hour or so and remove boots and socks. After a couple of minutes they would put their socks back on but on the other foot (feet?) - this way possible hotspots were eliminated before they became set .. and this wearing heavy and stiff new military issue boots.

When wearing boots rather than sandals I also always do this - though at approx two hour intervals - and have never had a blister (mind you .. proper cushion socks with as little synthetic in them as possible and boots one size 'too large') ....

and I do agree about Compeed - and the main tip is true - apply before blister! ... so much less problematic than trying to get fleece off a sheep and stuffing it into the sock :roll:

(errmmm .. the bit of lanolin rich fleece, not the sheep :oops: )

D

Deleted member 3000

Compeed is "wet wound" technology, so while it is an excellent preventive, do not give up on it after a blister has formed. It absorbs blister fluid and cushions the wound while preventing infection.

A

Anonymous

Sure thing Falc ... I think folk are saying that the problems are less if used before the blister forms

..by the way .. meaning to ask ... how many walking sticks do you own ...???

Advertisement

Booking.com