• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Compeed

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I wanted to do a post about Compeed. I saw some on here, but they were long, so I thought I'd start a new one.

Compeed! They do not have it in Oregon, or at least I've never seen it. But it is WONDERFUL! Buy it ahead of time and slap it on any hotspots you have on your feet as soon as you notice them, BEFORE they become blisters. It's amazing -- stays on for days -- even in the shower. And keeps you from getting blisters.

We also found these weird little tubes. They were part gauze-like and part jell-like. You cut it and slipped it over your toes to keep them from rubbing together. We got both the Compeed and the tubing at the Pharmacia (look for the GREEN CROSS) for reasonable prices.

Lastly, the care we got in Trinidad de Arre by the Pharmacist there was incredible. He pulled out a chair, sat joe down, cleaned and dressed his wound. Then he only charged us about 4 Euro for the treatment and a tube of antibiotic cream. It was amazing!

If you have any problems, just look for the big GREEN CROSS!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Johnson and Johnson sells Compeed in the U.S. under its Band-Aid brand. It is in most pharmacy chains.

I found the Farmacias in Spain well stocked with blister remedies.I had some skin rubbed off a heel one day and bought a packet of heel plasters-they came in a curved plastic container made by Aquamed. They stayed on for ages and cushioned the area and contained aloe vera.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Anniesantiago cautioned: BEFORE they become blisters.

READ THIS AGAIN...BEFORE...BEFORE...they become a blister!

Once compeed...or any similar adhesive is applied...it BONDS to the blister and...the only successful way to remove is to cut it off...leaving an open wound that can become infected and slow, or curtail your ability to continue.

The key here is to apply when the HOT SPOT reveals itself. That's when you stop and take the time to apply the PREVENTATIVE application. Here's my observation: women will stop and apply the dressing when they determine they are uncomfortable...thus, fewer disabling blisters. Guys will GUT IT OUT and ignore the early warning signs...pressing on to their next scheduled stop, before they take care of the hot spot...which is now a blister. Not a good thing!

Buen hot footin' isn't high steppin' Camino
Arn

I don't know anything about Compeed...but would offer the suggestion to perhaps invest in good footwear for the Camino as a way to avoid blisters. I wore inexpensive hiking shoes with heel inserts (that were the proper fit) and 1-2 pair of smart wool socks each day...results: no blisters in 500 miles! Of course everyone's feet are different...but I saw some on the Camino who made what seemed to be really bad choices in foot wear...cotton socks, combat boots, etc etc...

I agree I had no blisters on my partly Camino of 280 kl. and I believe all to a liner sock plus smart wool sock...my walking companion from Hungry was always taking care of his blisters while I was having nice lattes and visiting church's when we stopped for a rest...Hey Imre where are you? Peace everyone...
n

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good footwear and socks, and not pushing yourself too much were the key for me. My second Camino (Toulouse to Santiago) only reaped two blisters and my third (Montserrat-Santiago) none. That having been said, Arn's advice should be engraved on the inside of the eyelids of first-time pilgrims. I might note that I have a small shrine to the Compeed deity in my guest room, with a small candle available for orisons and oblations.

Compeed shrine? love it! - and a bell to bring the limpers in ..? :lol:

My step-father was raf regiment during the war (Europe, round two) and he said that on marches they would stop for 5 minutes every hour or so and remove boots and socks. After a couple of minutes they would put their socks back on but on the other foot (feet?) - this way possible hotspots were eliminated before they became set .. and this wearing heavy and stiff new military issue boots.

When wearing boots rather than sandals I also always do this - though at approx two hour intervals - and have never had a blister (mind you .. proper cushion socks with as little synthetic in them as possible and boots one size 'too large') ....

and I do agree about Compeed - and the main tip is true - apply before blister! ... so much less problematic than trying to get fleece off a sheep and stuffing it into the sock :roll:

(errmmm .. the bit of lanolin rich fleece, not the sheep :oops: )

Compeed is "wet wound" technology, so while it is an excellent preventive, do not give up on it after a blister has formed. It absorbs blister fluid and cushions the wound while preventing infection.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sure thing Falc ... I think folk are saying that the problems are less if used before the blister forms

..by the way .. meaning to ask ... how many walking sticks do you own ...???

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back