A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camping Compiling a list of refugios that accept tents

David

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Moissac to Santiago Spring 2005 was the first foray.
Hi all - as it looks like tenting or sleep matting - in a legal way - is a possible future for some pilgrims I thought we could compile a list of refugios that accept or even welcome tents.

I can think of a few - perhaps when we have as many as we can we could make a sequential list?

so - here just a few to kick this off .....

1. The refugio at Roncesvalles allows tents (even welcomes them when they are busy).
2. Puente la Reina, Santiago Apostal, welcomes tents in their gardens (they also have a campsite and swimming pool).
3. Castrojeriz, Camping Camino de Santiago - refugio and campsite, welcomes tents.
4. Rabanal del Camino, Gaulcelmo (the English one) welcomes tents in their garden.

Also, Cizur Menor, Sanjuanista, has gardens and may possibly begin to allow tents.

there must be so many more that I have forgotten ....

There are also quite a few campsites - St Jean pied de Port has a municipal campsite for a start.

Isca-camigo

Camino(s) past & future
Various ones.
Is Gualcelmo open this year? Miraz is closed on the Norte, it makes sense considering most volunteers are retirees or around that age, it's probably too big a risk + the travelling for a lot of volunteers could be an obstacle.

JennyH94

Pilgrim in progress
Camino(s) past & future
CF - sections and whole (2012-2019) and part VF (2017)
Is Gualcelmo open this year? Miraz is closed on the Norte, it makes sense considering most volunteers are retirees or around that age, it's probably too big a risk + the travelling for a lot of volunteers could be an obstacle.
No I-c, sadly not. The CSJ took the decision not to open Gaucelmo this year.
Best, best wishes from Oz -
Jenny

JennyH94

Pilgrim in progress
Camino(s) past & future
CF - sections and whole (2012-2019) and part VF (2017)
Hi David -
Here’s one to add to the list ... It’s not a refugio but a campsite which provides a range of plots for tents, motorhomes and caravans, plus it also has cabins. It’s Camping Iratxe, 3km past Estella and a shortish walk on from the Irache fountain. The Camino passes outside their front door.
According to their website the campground has abundant trees, two showers and toilets, washing machines and dryers, clotheslines and sinks. They have a large cafeteria, restaurant and a supermarket, plus a sports leisure pool, jacuzzi and waterfall, plus more. It sounds like a great place to have a rest day!
Their website is campingiratxe.com .
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

Last edited:

Rich1

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (5/15)
Frances & Muxia (2016-18)
Camino from Madrid (9/18)
Frances to Burgos (9/19)
TBC
Thanks - this is really helpful as I'll be camping my way along shortly :)
Afraid I can't add any more at present but will provide feedback...

David

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
As we cannot know which ones will be open and when I was more thinking of us compiling a list of those that do and those that could (because of gardens, etc) -

pookiebear2002

Camino(s) past & future
Future not sure when, but want to walk it all probably alone as difficult getting someone to come
This great David and every one for adding campsites especially the one jennyh94 from oz added it sounds Devine.
I’m going to leave it til next year to see if it all calms down I’m too worried about becoming seriously ill not knowing where I’ll end up?

Felipe

Veteran Member
Booking.com has a filter for "campings", but at first view, most of them are not explicit about the availability of this option. They are albergues or hostals.
This webpage, campings.net looks more promising. The info is sketchy and may or may not be updated.
Icons don't represent campings, but stages suggested (so, ignore them). Zoom into the locality, look for the "tent" icon and click the "Más información" link.

Last edited:

David

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
As you enter Rabanal del Camino I now remember that there is a large tenting area on the right opposite a cafe/refugio that owns it – very friendly. Marquees are already up, has water, waste, and bathroom facilities.

This campsite list is terribly out of date but is still a good indicator – each site would need to be checked to see if it still exists and what the prices are.

CAMPING ON THE CAMINO FRANCES:
Camping sites in Spain are listed as Luxury, 1st, 2nd, 3rd and special category camps.
Some give pilgrim discounts. For more info: http://www.camping-spain.net/

France
ST JEAN PIED DE PORT:
Camping de L’Arradoy: Tel: 05 59 37 11 75 1/3 to 1/10:
25 Persons 2** Basic campsite. Dogs allowed.

Camping Municipal: Tel: 05 59 37 11 19) 53 persons - 1* Municipal campsite 200m from the town gate. Dogs allowed.

Spain - Navarra

AURIZBERRI-ESPINAL 2nd: 1/4 to 31/10
Urrobi Tel/fax: 948 760 200 http://www.campingurrobi.com/
400 Persons: Dogs allowed: Restaurant: Cafeteria: Supermarket: Hot water showers: Post & telephone.

PAMPLONA: 1/6 to 25/9
Ezcaba – 8.5km from Pamplona: Tel: 948330315
http://www.campingezcaba.com:
Swimming pool, restaurant. All facilities

Navarra
ESTELLA-LIZARRA 1st: All year
Lizarra: Tel: 948 551 733 Fax: 948 554 755
www.navarra.net.lizarra lizarrakampinga@navarra.net

1,000 persons: Dogs allowed: Restaurant: Cafeteria: Supermarket: Hot water showers: Post & Telephone.

La Rioja
LOGROÑO: 2nd: 9/4 to 30/9
La Playa: Tel/Fax: 941 252 253
www.campinglaplaya.com campinglogrono@terra.es

248 persons: Dogs allowed: Cafeteria: Hot water showers: Post & Telephone.

NAVARRETE: 1st : 8/1 to 9/12
Navarette: Tel: 941 440 169 Fax: 941 440 639
www.fer.es/campings campingnavarrete@fer.es

580 persons: No dogs allowed: Restaurant: Cafeteria: Supermarket: Hot water showers: Post & Telephone.

NAJERA: 3rd : 1/4 to 10/9
El Ruedo: Tel: 941 360 102

154 persons: Dogs allowed: Restaurant: Cafeteria: Supermarket: Hot water showers: Post & Telephone.

SANTO DOMINGO DE LA CALZADA: Open all year
Camping Bánares
: Tel: 941 342 804 5km before Santo Domingo: Full facilities.

Burgos

BURGOS: 1st: 1/4 to 30/9
Fuentes Blanca: Tel/Fax: 947 486 016

1,100 persons: Dogs allowed: Restaurant: Cafeteria: Supermarket: Hot water showers: Post & Telephone.

CASTROJERÍZ: 2nd : 1/5 - 31/5 y 1/9 – 30/9 (1/6 – 30/8)
Camino de Santiago: Tel: 947 377 255 Fax: 983 359 549

campingcastro@eresmas.com
150 persons: No dogs allowed: Cafeteria: Hot water showers: Post & Telephone.

Palencia

CARRIÓN DE LOS CONDES: 2nd: All year
Edén: Tel:979 881 152

289 persons: Dogs allowed. Hot showers: Cafeteria: Shop: Telephone:

Léon

SAHAGÚN: 2nd : All year
Municipal ‘Pedro Ponce’: Tel: 987 780 415 Fax: 987 781 112

www,campinglacota.com ponce@campinglacota.com
1,100 persons: Dogs allowed: Post and telephone: Restaurant: Cafeteria: Supermarket: Hot water showers: Post & Telephone.

MANSILLA DE LAS MULAS: 2nd : 29/6 to 1/9
Esla: Tel: 987 310 089 Fax: 987 311 810

www.ayto-mansilla.org info@ayto-mansilla,org
168 persons: No dogs allowed: Hot showers: Restaurant: Cafeteria.

LEÓN: 2nd : 1/6 to 25/9
Golpejar de la Sobarriba: Ciudad de León: Tel: 987 269 086 Fax: 987 214 798

www.vivaleon.com/campingleon.htm camping-leon@yahoo.es
4km from León: 141 persons: No dogs allowed: Hot showers: Cafeteria: Supermarket: Post and telephone.

VILLADANGOS DEL PARAMO: 2ND : 14/4 to 28/9
Camino de Santiago: Tel: 987 680 253

494 persons: Dogs allowed: Post and telephone: Restaurant: Cafeteria: Supermarket: Hot water showers: Post & Telephone.

HOSPITAL DE ORBIGO: 2nd: 1/6 to Sept:
Don Suero De Quiñones: Tel: 987361018

All facilities: June to September.

SANTA CATALINA DE SOMOZA: 2ND: 15/3 to 15/10
At Santa Colomba de Somoza – bear left on Le142 before reaching Santa Catalina
www.tronus.net/campingcarb narciso@ganaderosteleno.org
240 persons: Dogs allowed. Post and telephone: Restaurant: Cafeteria: Supermarket: Hot water showers: Post & Telephone.

Galicia

SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA:
Monte do Gozo: 1st : 20/6 to 25/9
Tel: 981 558 942

1,227 persons: No dogs allowed: Restaurant: Cafeteria: Supermarket: Hot water showers. Post & Telephone.

As Cancelas: 2nd : All year
408 persons: Dogs allowed: Restaurant: Cafeteria: Supermarket: Hot water showers: Post & Telephone.

Las Sirenas: 2nd: All year
Tel: 981 898 722 Fax: 981 580 844

300 persons: Dogs allowed: Restaurant: Cafeteria: Supermarket: Hot water showers: Post & Telephone.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
May 18,2015 - June 23,2015 El Camino Frances
May 25, 2017 - June 30th, 2017 Le Puy to Moissac
As you enter Rabanal del Camino I now remember that there is a large tenting area on the right opposite a cafe/refugio that owns it – very friendly. Marquees are already up, has water, waste, and bathroom facilities.
Fantastic list!!!! Thank for compiling.

Tone-Lise

Camino(s) past & future
The Way of Geneva (2021)
Is there a similar list or any suggestions for people doing pilgrimage in France? Am planning to do via Gebennensis and then do as far as I get on via Podiensis. Rather than staying in official campgrounds it would be nice to connect with the pilgrims staying in the local "gîte." Am sure I'll need a few breaks from sleeping in a tent, so either way, I will mix it up a bit.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock