Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).

Compiling a list of refugios that accept tents

David

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Hi all - as it looks like tenting or sleep matting - in a legal way - is a possible future for some pilgrims I thought we could compile a list of refugios that accept or even welcome tents.

I can think of a few - perhaps when we have as many as we can we could make a sequential list?

so - here just a few to kick this off .....

1. The refugio at Roncesvalles allows tents (even welcomes them when they are busy).
2. Puente la Reina, Santiago Apostal, welcomes tents in their gardens (they also have a campsite and swimming pool).
3. Castrojeriz, Camping Camino de Santiago - refugio and campsite, welcomes tents.
4. Rabanal del Camino, Gaulcelmo (the English one) welcomes tents in their garden.

Also, Cizur Menor, Sanjuanista, has gardens and may possibly begin to allow tents.

there must be so many more that I have forgotten ....

There are also quite a few campsites - St Jean pied de Port has a municipal campsite for a start.

300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Isca-camigo

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Various ones.
Is Gualcelmo open this year? Miraz is closed on the Norte, it makes sense considering most volunteers are retirees or around that age, it's probably too big a risk + the travelling for a lot of volunteers could be an obstacle.

JennyH94

Pilgrim in progress
Past OR future Camino
CF - sections and whole (2012-2019) and part VF (2017)
Is Gualcelmo open this year? Miraz is closed on the Norte, it makes sense considering most volunteers are retirees or around that age, it's probably too big a risk + the travelling for a lot of volunteers could be an obstacle.
No I-c, sadly not. The CSJ took the decision not to open Gaucelmo this year.
Best, best wishes from Oz -
Jenny

JennyH94

Pilgrim in progress
Past OR future Camino
CF - sections and whole (2012-2019) and part VF (2017)
Hi David -
Here’s one to add to the list ... It’s not a refugio but a campsite which provides a range of plots for tents, motorhomes and caravans, plus it also has cabins. It’s Camping Iratxe, 3km past Estella and a shortish walk on from the Irache fountain. The Camino passes outside their front door.
According to their website the campground has abundant trees, two showers and toilets, washing machines and dryers, clotheslines and sinks. They have a large cafeteria, restaurant and a supermarket, plus a sports leisure pool, jacuzzi and waterfall, plus more. It sounds like a great place to have a rest day!
Their website is campingiratxe.com .
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

Last edited:
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

pookiebear2002

Past OR future Camino
Future not sure when, but want to walk it all probably alone as difficult getting someone to come
This great David and every one for adding campsites especially the one jennyh94 from oz added it sounds Devine.
I’m going to leave it til next year to see if it all calms down I’m too worried about becoming seriously ill not knowing where I’ll end up?

Felipe

Veteran Member
Booking.com has a filter for "campings", but at first view, most of them are not explicit about the availability of this option. They are albergues or hostals.
This webpage, campings.net looks more promising. The info is sketchy and may or may not be updated.
Icons don't represent campings, but stages suggested (so, ignore them). Zoom into the locality, look for the "tent" icon and click the "Más información" link.

Last edited:

David

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
As you enter Rabanal del Camino I now remember that there is a large tenting area on the right opposite a cafe/refugio that owns it – very friendly. Marquees are already up, has water, waste, and bathroom facilities.

This campsite list is terribly out of date but is still a good indicator – each site would need to be checked to see if it still exists and what the prices are.

CAMPING ON THE CAMINO FRANCES:
Camping sites in Spain are listed as Luxury, 1st, 2nd, 3rd and special category camps.
Some give pilgrim discounts. For more info: http://www.camping-spain.net/

France
ST JEAN PIED DE PORT:
Camping de L’Arradoy: Tel: 05 59 37 11 75 1/3 to 1/10:
25 Persons 2** Basic campsite. Dogs allowed.

Camping Municipal: Tel: 05 59 37 11 19) 53 persons - 1* Municipal campsite 200m from the town gate. Dogs allowed.

Spain - Navarra

AURIZBERRI-ESPINAL 2nd: 1/4 to 31/10
Urrobi Tel/fax: 948 760 200 http://www.campingurrobi.com/
400 Persons: Dogs allowed: Restaurant: Cafeteria: Supermarket: Hot water showers: Post & telephone.

PAMPLONA: 1/6 to 25/9
Ezcaba – 8.5km from Pamplona: Tel: 948330315
http://www.campingezcaba.com:
Swimming pool, restaurant. All facilities

Navarra
ESTELLA-LIZARRA 1st: All year
Lizarra: Tel: 948 551 733 Fax: 948 554 755
www.navarra.net.lizarra lizarrakampinga@navarra.net

1,000 persons: Dogs allowed: Restaurant: Cafeteria: Supermarket: Hot water showers: Post & Telephone.

La Rioja
LOGROÑO: 2nd: 9/4 to 30/9
La Playa: Tel/Fax: 941 252 253
www.campinglaplaya.com campinglogrono@terra.es

248 persons: Dogs allowed: Cafeteria: Hot water showers: Post & Telephone.

NAVARRETE: 1st : 8/1 to 9/12
Navarette: Tel: 941 440 169 Fax: 941 440 639
www.fer.es/campings campingnavarrete@fer.es

580 persons: No dogs allowed: Restaurant: Cafeteria: Supermarket: Hot water showers: Post & Telephone.

NAJERA: 3rd : 1/4 to 10/9
El Ruedo: Tel: 941 360 102

154 persons: Dogs allowed: Restaurant: Cafeteria: Supermarket: Hot water showers: Post & Telephone.

SANTO DOMINGO DE LA CALZADA: Open all year
Camping Bánares
: Tel: 941 342 804 5km before Santo Domingo: Full facilities.

Burgos

BURGOS: 1st: 1/4 to 30/9
Fuentes Blanca: Tel/Fax: 947 486 016

1,100 persons: Dogs allowed: Restaurant: Cafeteria: Supermarket: Hot water showers: Post & Telephone.

CASTROJERÍZ: 2nd : 1/5 - 31/5 y 1/9 – 30/9 (1/6 – 30/8)
Camino de Santiago: Tel: 947 377 255 Fax: 983 359 549

campingcastro@eresmas.com
150 persons: No dogs allowed: Cafeteria: Hot water showers: Post & Telephone.

Palencia

CARRIÓN DE LOS CONDES: 2nd: All year
Edén: Tel:979 881 152

289 persons: Dogs allowed. Hot showers: Cafeteria: Shop: Telephone:

Léon

SAHAGÚN: 2nd : All year
Municipal ‘Pedro Ponce’: Tel: 987 780 415 Fax: 987 781 112

www,campinglacota.com ponce@campinglacota.com
1,100 persons: Dogs allowed: Post and telephone: Restaurant: Cafeteria: Supermarket: Hot water showers: Post & Telephone.

MANSILLA DE LAS MULAS: 2nd : 29/6 to 1/9
Esla: Tel: 987 310 089 Fax: 987 311 810

www.ayto-mansilla.org info@ayto-mansilla,org
168 persons: No dogs allowed: Hot showers: Restaurant: Cafeteria.

LEÓN: 2nd : 1/6 to 25/9
Golpejar de la Sobarriba: Ciudad de León: Tel: 987 269 086 Fax: 987 214 798

www.vivaleon.com/campingleon.htm camping-leon@yahoo.es
4km from León: 141 persons: No dogs allowed: Hot showers: Cafeteria: Supermarket: Post and telephone.

VILLADANGOS DEL PARAMO: 2ND : 14/4 to 28/9
Camino de Santiago: Tel: 987 680 253

494 persons: Dogs allowed: Post and telephone: Restaurant: Cafeteria: Supermarket: Hot water showers: Post & Telephone.

HOSPITAL DE ORBIGO: 2nd: 1/6 to Sept:
Don Suero De Quiñones: Tel: 987361018

All facilities: June to September.

SANTA CATALINA DE SOMOZA: 2ND: 15/3 to 15/10
At Santa Colomba de Somoza – bear left on Le142 before reaching Santa Catalina
www.tronus.net/campingcarb narciso@ganaderosteleno.org
240 persons: Dogs allowed. Post and telephone: Restaurant: Cafeteria: Supermarket: Hot water showers: Post & Telephone.

Galicia

SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA:
Monte do Gozo: 1st : 20/6 to 25/9
Tel: 981 558 942

1,227 persons: No dogs allowed: Restaurant: Cafeteria: Supermarket: Hot water showers. Post & Telephone.

As Cancelas: 2nd : All year
408 persons: Dogs allowed: Restaurant: Cafeteria: Supermarket: Hot water showers: Post & Telephone.

Las Sirenas: 2nd: All year
Tel: 981 898 722 Fax: 981 580 844

300 persons: Dogs allowed: Restaurant: Cafeteria: Supermarket: Hot water showers: Post & Telephone.

Last edited:
When you walk the Camino, and suddenly a pandemic appears
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

flickchic98

Past OR future Camino
May 18,2015 - June 23,2015 El Camino Frances
May 25, 2017 - June 30th, 2017 Le Puy to Moissac
As you enter Rabanal del Camino I now remember that there is a large tenting area on the right opposite a cafe/refugio that owns it – very friendly. Marquees are already up, has water, waste, and bathroom facilities.
Fantastic list!!!! Thank for compiling.

Tone-Lise

Past OR future Camino
Via Gebennensis and part of Via Podiensis (2022)
Is there a similar list or any suggestions for people doing pilgrimage in France? Am planning to do via Gebennensis and then do as far as I get on via Podiensis. Rather than staying in official campgrounds it would be nice to connect with the pilgrims staying in the local "gîte." Am sure I'll need a few breaks from sleeping in a tent, so either way, I will mix it up a bit.

Xali1970

Past OR future Camino
Very very interested in this.
I'm planning a cycle from Ireland and back next year and I would rather tent it at the refugio/albergues, cuz a rolling tank makes less noise than my snoring...

ahemobile

Peregrina/Hospitalera
Past OR future Camino
Francés (2015)
Meseta (2016)
Aragonés(2019)
Piamonte (post-COVID)
I just bought a tent to take on my next camino as an option, as I know many albergues have gardens. Plus I love the idea of being away from the snoring hordes!

Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Learn Spanish for the Camino
Enhance your Camino experience by learning about the Spanish language and culture.

Turigrino

Carpe Diem
Past OR future Camino
I just bought a tent to take on my next camino as an option, as I know many albergues have gardens. Plus I love the idea of being away from the snoring hordes!

How about being away from the toilet for the entire night?
Because pilgrims always lock up the albergue door for the night from inside for safety, even if you asked each and every one of them not to do it.
Happened to me in Castro Urdiales.

You may need to include this item on your packing list... :rolleyes:

data.jpeg

Last edited:
Past OR future Camino
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
How about being away from the toilet for the entire night?
Because pilgrims always lock up the albergue door for the night from inside for safety, even if you asked each and every one of them not to do it.
Happened to me in Castro Urdiales.

You may need to include this item on your packing list... :rolleyes:

data.jpeg

In which case I would use the bush just like I do in the middle of any stage where there’s no toilet

Bradbeyer

Past OR future Camino
Camino France's (2021)
Hi all - as it looks like tenting or sleep matting - in a legal way - is a possible future for some pilgrims I thought we could compile a list of refugios that accept or even welcome tents.

I can think of a few - perhaps when we have as many as we can we could make a sequential list?

so - here just a few to kick this off .....

1. The refugio at Roncesvalles allows tents (even welcomes them when they are busy).
2. Puente la Reina, Santiago Apostal, welcomes tents in their gardens (they also have a campsite and swimming pool).
3. Castrojeriz, Camping Camino de Santiago - refugio and campsite, welcomes tents.
4. Rabanal del Camino, Gaulcelmo (the English one) welcomes tents in their garden.

Also, Cizur Menor, Sanjuanista, has gardens and may possibly begin to allow tents.

there must be so many more that I have forgotten ....

There are also quite a few campsites - St Jean pied de Port has a municipal campsite for a start.
David, thank you for this information! I am walking the Camino Frances starting at St. Jean Pied de Port on July 12. I am used to wilderness trekking, would probably feel naked if I didn't have my little tent along. I'm not concerned about saving money and want to support the albergues. Just glad to hear that tenting may be an option if everything is booked up.

MiaBu

Past OR future Camino
Thanks for all the information. I want to walk in august but for now (as other people stated in a accommodation thread) I also don’t feel comfortable sharing a dorm. Since there seems to be quite a run on private rooms and I don’t think I want to plan each night in advance I am going to take a tent as well.
here is my questions though: as a woman I am always more concerned about safety when biwaking wild so I would prefer legal places close to an albergue. The list of albergues that lets you camp seems quite short. Is anyone on the Frances right now that can confirm more places? Or even reconfirm the list from last June?

Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

peregrino_tom

Past OR future Camino
she has. she has also updated the list with new albergues, doggy albergues and closed albergues, according to gronze. it's here.
'She' has done an AWESOME job! Muchos Gracias 🙏

PS just checking I am navigating to the most recent version... your link takes me to a page where I then press the orange download button on the right side. The doc that opens still says 'March 2020' on the upper right, but actually it is the updated version..?
Cheers, tom

caminka

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
see signature
'She' has done an AWESOME job! Muchos Gracias 🙏

PS just checking I am navigating to the most recent version... your link takes me to a page where I then press the orange download button on the right side. The doc that opens still says 'March 2020' on the upper right, but actually it is the updated version..?
Cheers, tom
thank you! :)
upsi, yes, it is the updated version. it has the dogs in the lines. I forgot to change the date. sorry! fixed.

Davey Boyd

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Again, soon as possible!
Here is what I have where you can camp at an albergue. Some may be listed above.

1. The Parroquia at Zalbadika before Pamplona (the one with the nuns). They let me camp around the back. Seemed quite happy about it.

2. Sanjaunista at Cizur Menor (the Nights of Malta one). Always camped there.

3. Santiago Apostle up the hill at Puenta la Reina. It has a camping spot.

4. Camp site at Irache just after Estella.

5. San Jaun Bautista at Granon. Has a camping field up the road from the albergue.

6. There is a campsite just before Burgos on the river route. Camping Fuentes Biancas.

7. I have seen people camping at San Bol on the Meseta just after Hornillos

8. La Finca at Poblacion de Campos are happy for you to camp.

9. I have camped outside the Parroqia donativo albergue at Bercianos

10. The municipal at La Virgen del Camino just after Leon is great for camping.

11. If he is still there David just before Astorga lets you camp.

12. Albergue Las Aguedas at Murias de Rechivaldo just after Astorga lets you camp. Lovely place!

13 As you enter Rabanal del Camino there is a place with tents on the right as you enter. It's not an albergue, more of a shop. It is donativo in a nice garden.

14. I think Monte Irago albergue in Foncebadon lets you camp.

15. So does Manjarin just afterwards.

16. The municipal at Molinaseca (just after town) definitely lets you camp.

17. The albergue at La Faba before O'Cebreiro lets you camp.

18. The Xunta at Ribadiso de Baixo after Melide lets you camp (but most put their tents up down the road by the river).

There are many more where I slept outside without a tent.

As for good freecamping spots, thats another story!

Davey

Enhance your Camino experience by learning about the Spanish language and culture.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

JLV

Past OR future Camino
Hi All,
If it was me I would get a cheap single person tent. Then spray it down with scotch guard. I have done this in the past and it works great.

Davey Boyd

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Again, soon as possible!
Wow! Nice lists… now who knows of an inexpensive (100-150 US ) 2.5 lb single person tent?

I use a Wild Country Zephyros 1 tent because of its light weight. 1.5 kilo. Anything lighter gets expensive real quick. Cheap tents may fail due to how much use it is going to receive. I had my Zephyros 1 on all my caminos and it stood up well, only having to replace the pegs. Though small the door awning is big enough to cover your pack. I even used it on a winter camino.

Davey

good_old_shoes

Past OR future Camino
Francés ('15, '19)
Via Coloniensis ('16)
Trier-Nancy + Le Puy-Fisterra ('17)
Aragonés ('18)
Decathlon has a lightweight 1 person trekking tent that might be interesting (1,3kg for 130Euros). Haven't tested it, but I do have the older 2 person version (2kg, new version 1,75) which is very nice quality for the price and have even used it in winter. Definitely waterproof. For longer distances I prefer my tiny snugpak ionosphere though (1,5kg). Tents are like shoes, you need to find one that fits your needs!

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

mmmmartin

Past OR future Camino
Santander-SdC bici '14
Plata bici '17
1/2 Plata bici '18
Frances a pie '18
(Porto a pie '19)

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf