• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Complementarios

Bert45

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2003, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2018, 2019
Can you tell me anything about the complementario coming out of Arzúa? After the last mojón (but we didn't know it was the last one) with the distance to Santiago intact, the next one we saw was a complementario -- but there was no indication of any parting of the ways, unlike the two mojones as you leave Triacastela, or the two at Santa Irene. It seemed to me that everyone was on the complementario like us. It continued for a very long way, but I didn't make a note of when the 'regular' mojones with the distance to Santiago started again. Do you have any information? A map showing the complementario and the 'official' route?

There was a very large sign shortly after Palas de Rei showing two routes. Do you have a photo of that sign or a map showing the two routes? I couldn't see any way to go other than the one everyone else was following, i.e. the 'correct' way. Again, there weren't two mojones side-by-side. I'd like to know where the complementario goes.

Thanks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think the route changed leaving Arzua. My wife and I noticed the complementary mojone and back tracked to locate the primary...I found a ghost of it and later some old style mojones to follow but only a few old faded arrows. It passed along N-547 and had a terrible crossing on a dangerous curve downhill curve which when wet was likely an issue. The split I am guessing was somewhere near As Barrosas and follows the highway a bit, then cross and goes to Cotorbe and rejoined the complementario at the Rego de Ladrón (you can see it on Google Maps) which I believe is now the main route. I must have taken the complementario in 2018 and guessing it goes through A Peroxa just to the south of Cotorbe.

Attached is a ViewRanger screenshot of our walk this year. You can see in the east our backtrack and a few snapshots of the mojones and the area where the routes intersect again. I put 1-3 on the map corresponding to the photos. The ant-march track I believe is the current route marked as Complementario. Hope this clarifies it for you.

Attachments

• 1 mojone.jpg
    1 mojone.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 89
  • 2 mojone Cotrobe.jpg
    2 mojone Cotrobe.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 90
  • 3 rejoin at Rego de Ladrón.jpg
    3 rejoin at Rego de Ladrón.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 93
  • ViewRanger.png
    ViewRanger.png
    739.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Thank you very much, Darby67. Your screenshot shows the route in red as described in my 1990 book "The Pilgrim Route to Compostela". It was good of you to take photos of the old mojones.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
No problem, my wife was not as 'curious' as I was and I honestly had no idea where it would lead us...sometimes you just have to have faith and be pleasantly surprised that it all works out as it should :)

Glad to see others were as curious as I was!

You could have written: Glad to see others were almost as curious as I was!

A map showing the complementario and the 'official' route?
The newspaper La Voz de Galicia published an overview when the new mojones were placed. Black: main trail; blue: allows access to significant places for pilgrims such as services or patrimony; red: historical traces of the ancient path that is now lost; yellow: area protected as Camino de Santiago.

Complementarios.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you, Kathar1na. That map is brilliant. The one I mentioned after Palas de Rei seemed nearer to PdR than the one shown on that map, and seemed to deviate further from the 'official' camino than that shown on the map.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
A map showing the complementario and the 'official' route?
I don't think there is an official Camino route. There have been many changes. Before yellow arrows it was about getting from town to town. The yellow arrows have been painted by volunteers based upon their opinions. Occasionally a junta has stepped forward to designate its opinion on the official route. The junta sets the mojones, perhaps making a route official. Then a road is built blocking the official route, and some other path becomes official. The changes around San Xulian, for example, has eliminated some very scenic forest for a safe roadway. Big rains after Portomarin moved to official route through a vineyard. The vineyard owners reclaimed their land as soon as repairs were made.

If you get where you are going, you are on the official route.:)

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back