• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Complete GPS / GPX / KML files for California Missions Trail

SacredSteps

Time of past OR future Camino
Good day, pilgrims. I wanted to share that I have created a complete set of GPS / GPX / KML / Google Earth files for the California Missions Trail, based on the books by Mr. Butch Brierly and Mr. Jim Lutz. While I have not yet completed the California Mission Trail, I want to express my most sincere appreciation to Butch and Jim for the level of detail, care, and joy expressed in their respective works. It was a pleasure to read their experiences and to provide this companion piece to assist those equally inspired to begin the California Missions Trail.

BEGINNERS GUIDE TO THE CALIFORNIA MISSIONS TRAIL
Born from the ancient footpaths traversing the coast between California’s twenty-one Spanish missions, the California Missions Trail connects historic missions, pueblos, and presidios over an 800-mile long pilgrimage walk. Click here for the complete beginners guide to the California Missions Trail.

GPS / GPX / KML / GOOGLE EARTH FILES FOR THE CALIFORNIA MISSIONS TRAIL

California Mission Walk Resources
Pilgrimage Tokens:
Groups and Websites:
Books and Guides:

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have heard about this trail before and have been curious. Thanks for providing some good info. I love California and its been many years since I have visited that state. If international travel does not resume in a year or so, I may default to something of this nature, but would probably choose to walk in winter as heat zaps absolutely all my energy.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Island, thank you for this post.

Until now I had thought of northern north America as a godless walking destination. I knew about the Pacific Coastal Trail and the Appalachian Trail from reading about Joe Valesko when purchasing his zPacks light-weight tramping products (he had also walked Te Araroa, which got me more interested).

From a week long stay in SanFran in August 2008 I was aware of the mission church there and of the parish church alongside. But was not aware of the extensive set of mission churches extedning from Mexico to well north of Oakland.

I keep everything on my tablet (because of its 10" screen). And my go to map apps are all Open Street Maps (OSM) based. My approach is this: if the route is not marked in OSM, it does not exist (!!??)

I begun looking at the route using the links you have given above, especially the interactive link. And have downloaded the GPX files.

While not explicitly stated, these files seem to be available for not for profit use.

To help me keep a focus on this camino I am forming an intention to map the route in OSM using the GPX files. (For the simplest of reasons: southern California is (was?) quicker and cheaper to get to than northern Europe.)

Can you please offer any observations on this intention to map the route.

Kia kaha, kia maia, kia manawanui (Be strong, confident and patient - QEII, 6 April 2020)

I'll reserve my comments on the relative godlessness of northern North America 😆 but will say these were created as a companion to pilgrim following the routes outlined in the books by Mr. Butch Brierly and Mr. Jim Lutz.

This derivative work (I guess you would say) is certainly offered as community property for the non-commercial benefit of all pilgrims. Download and use in your own journey as you may see fit! Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This post is for you if you are thinking of visiting the US for some long distance walking.

The typical tourist visa for the US is 3 months. It is possible to get a 6 month visa if you apply for it ahead of time but it will involve showing up in person at a consulate. Along the Appalachian Trail (which takes about 6 months) I met a German speaking hiker who said that it was difficult getting the extended visa. He got called away before I had a chance to question him more. But I also met a Mexican who said it was fairly easy. He showed up at the consulate with a guide, map and lots of enthusiasm. Just a tip.

This post is for you ...

Kia ora Rick.

The Camino de las misiones de California (?) has a suggested 55 days. And I qualify (along with citizens of Andorra and San Marino and some 35 other countries) for a visa waiver for 90 days, so long as I get an ESTA before leaving home.

Just as well: the local US consulate is 600 km distant from my home and you need an appointment to get to see them.

Is the worst that could happen, should I fetch up at SFO or LAX a day or so over the 3 months, that the authorities make sure I board the plane home? With advice not to darken their doors again?

Kinda fun leaving home ready to walk the moment you get of the plane because there is not a local Ivar to send surplus baggage to.

Kia kaha

Is the worst that could happen, should I fetch up at SFO or LAX a day or so over the 3 months, that the authorities make sure I board the plane home? With advice not to darken their doors again?
Not really sure. Since I was born with the privilege of remaining in the US forever I haven't researched immigration laws, only incidentally learning a thing or two. One thing is that the current administration is having the immigration authorities strictly follow the rules (the acronym the agency uses is ICE). One recent case was of a visitor to Canada without a visa for the States who claimed to be out for a walk and got lost. She said she most have wandered over the border. She was held for days (maybe weeks, I forget how long exactly). Maybe check if your travel insurance will reimburse you for a flight missed because of ICE damage.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Kia ora Rick.

The Camino de las misiones de California (?) has a suggested 55 days. And I qualify (along with citizens of Andorra and San Marino and some 35 other countries) for a visa waiver for 90 days, so long as I get an ESTA before leaving home.

Just as well: the local US consulate is 600 km distant from my home and you need an appointment to get to see them.

Kinda fun leaving home ready to walk the moment you get of the plane because there is not a local Ivar to send surplus baggage to.

Kia kaha

I'm an immigration lawyer in the U.S.

If you overstay the 90 days you would be disqualified from the ESTA program in the future (so you would absolutely need a visa), and if you ignored the bar and tried to enter on ESTA anyways, at the airport they could impose an expedited removal (instant deportation; no hearing, just the signature of the inspection officer and the officer's supervisor) which would leave you with an almost absolute 5-year bar from entering the U.S. Many officers and supervisors show some mercy and just send you back without the deportation, but a large minority would impose the expedited removal.

If you think there is any chance you will need more than 90 days, take the time and the trip to apply for a visa before coming.

I'll reserve my comments on the relative godlessness of northern North America ...

If it helps, I had the inability to commune (except on very, very rare occasions) with a cafe-con-leche (or similar) on the long distance walking routes, such as Pacific Coastal, Appalachian, American Discovery and Trans Canada trails, in mind.

If it helps further, the major long distance walk here (Te Araroa - the long way) with most of its 3,000 km well away (by design) from populated areas would also tend to classify my country as godless, using the same criteria of general non-availability of cafe-con-leche (or similar).

@Island, kia kaha (Take care, be strong, get going when you can)

I'll reserve my comments on the relative godlessness of northern North America ...

If it helps, I had the inability to commune (except on very, very rare occasions) with a cafe-con-leche (or similar) on the long distance walking routes, such as Pacific Coastal, Appalachian, American Discovery and Trans Canada trails, in mind.

If it helps further, the major long distance walk here (Te Araroa - the long way) with most of its 3,000 km well away (by design) from populated areas would also tend to classify my country as godless, using the same criteria of general non-availability of cafe-con-leche (or similar).

@Island, kia kaha (Take care, be strong, get going when you can)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.