• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Completed El Camino Portuguese on Wednesday, April 1.

Texasguy

And so...we keep on walking ..
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Lebaniego y Vadiniese - October 2022
incredible week. There were 450 fkscwking the Camino this week. Large groups of scouts, and tour buses. Incredible weather, not a drop of rain.

Happy, tired, but glad I was able to complete this Camino.

Happy Easter and Buen Camino!!!

Texasguy

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
incredible week. There were 450 fkscwking the Camino this week. Large groups of scouts, and tour buses. Incredible weather, not a drop of rain.

Happy, tired, but glad I was able to complete this Camino.

Happy Easter and Buen Camino!!!

Texasguy
I walked from Porto to Santiogo In September. Walked the costal route for the first 2 days. Great camino. Did you stay at Casa Fernanda.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Congratulations and Happy Easter! Looking forward to reading about your experiences.

Congrats Texasguy. A grand achievement. What was your best experience?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Congratulations!

I am starting mine in Porto next month

Congratulations, I am doing they surf and turf. Starting in Oia then to Baiona, Vigo, Redondela, Pontevedra, Caldas de Rei, Pardon then Santiago.
I leave 25th August 2015. I am doing hotels which are all pre booked.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Moma Fernadas pear brandy mixed with papas 200 proof white lightning didn't hurt either

Exactly!!!
We had an incredible time with her and her family!!

Congrats Texasguy. A grand achievement. What was your best experience?
Cejanus,

For me was just the beauty of the Camino in the winter.nintried to the Frances in the summer, but did not liked it. I went back and did it in the winter.
The Portugues was less crowded, just more time to enjoy the journey.
The folks ( few folks), I run into, were really lay back and just nice people. In December we had lots of rain, but we kept going.
To each its own, but for me there is great beauty in the Camino during the fall/winter.
I am planning my next Camino for November, either the Ingles or the El Salvador.

Buen Camino,

Ben

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Congratulations, I am doing they surf and turf. Starting in Oia then to Baiona, Vigo, Redondela, Pontevedra, Caldas de Rei, Pardon then Santiago.
I leave 25th August 2015. I am doing hotels which are all pre booked.
Would you object to jotting down the places you are staying? (and costs?)

Yes, Casa Fernanda is a MUST on the Camino.
And where exactly will we find this gem?

Between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima.
About 15 kms beyond Barcelos you will walk through a village called Balaguēs.
From there it is about 3 kms ,just follow the waymarkers.At a certain moment is a sign "Lugar do Corgo, pointing to a white house at the left side. That's casa da Fernanda .if you lookat Google maps and see the name "Vilhadiz". Thats the place .
Give them a ring on beforehand +351 914 589 521
First of May next we will be there again .can't wait

Bom caminho

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Exactly!
In the garden is a dormatory with 14 beds, showers and toilets.
In their house is a room with double bed and bathroom for couples (like us:))

I have booked all my hotels through Follow the Camino.. Oia, Hotel A Raina.. Baiona, Hotel Bahia Santander... Vigo, Hotel Junquera...
Redondela, Hotel Antolin.... Pontevedra, Hotel Avenida... Caldas De Rei, Torre do Rio.... Pardon, Pazo De Lesttove....Santiago, Hotel Pombal...
I don't know prices as it was a package includes transfers etc

From there it is about 3 kms ,just follow the waymarkers.At a certain moment is a sign "Lugar do Corgo, pointing to a white house at the left side. That's casa da Fernanda .if you lookat Google maps and see the name "Vilhadiz". Thats the place .

Bom caminho
Very envious Albertinho

Bom caminho

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have booked all my hotels through Follow the Camino.. Oia, Hotel A Raina.. Baiona, Hotel Bahia Santander... Vigo, Hotel Junquera...
Redondela, Hotel Antolin.... Pontevedra, Hotel Avenida... Caldas De Rei, Torre do Rio.... Pardon, Pazo De Lesttove....Santiago, Hotel Pombal...
I don't know prices as it was a package includes transfers etc
You are on the "wrong" caminho
You walk the coastal. If you should have walked the central route , you should have encountered the "gem" between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima.

Is any reason to start in Oia ? I was wondering why.. Anyway the about 130 kms will be enough for a Compostela .

When are you walking the coastal ? We start april 30st on the central,indeed to the "gem":). And start on the coastal 3rd of May in Viana do Castelo and we walk direction Oia and Vigo. Maybe we see you around.
A minute ago I got the confirmation of the O Laranjeiro hotel in Viana do Castelo. We do not book hotels in advance usually ,not more than 2 or 3 days ahead but I have a list with hotels,hostals etc and allways a possibility to book via AIRBNB as we will do in Vigo, Santiago and back in Porto.

Bom caminho

Exactly!
In the garden is a dormatory with 14 beds, showers and toilets.
In their house is a room with double bed and bathroom for couples (like us:))

Well there's the first decision made. Whatever we do, we are certainly going to visit these guys based on your raving recommendation! We should be there on Saturday 13th June. Hope we arrive early enough to nab the double room;-) I don't object to dorms, but this is the first trip we are taking without our eight children (we usually fill a dorm all by ourselves!) and it's to celebrate 25 years of marriage so we don't mind upgrades to double rooms this time!

Well there's the first decision made. Whatever we do, we are certainly going to visit these guys based on your raving recommendation! We should be there on Saturday 13th June. Hope we arrive early enough to nab the double room;-) I don't object to dorms, but this is the first trip we are taking without our eight children (we usually fill a dorm all by ourselves!) and it's to celebrate 25 years of marriage so we don't mind upgrades to double rooms this time!
My advice give Fernanda or Jacinto a ring on beforehand so you can make your reservation.+351 914 589 521.
Bom caminho

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for the phone number. Do they have an email address? And here's the second decision....a route from Matosinhos to Vairao (I think I've located the monastery correctly, but if not, we'll ask around!)
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zolBt8rIFn5s.kj881y0TfwRw
22.5km so quite a doable option

Yes they have an email address but as you have been there you can understand Fernanda and Jacinto almost 24/7 offer all their time to give everybody who passes by a great stay so have no time to answer emails.
So give them a call please.

The monastry is on that place indeed.
Take care at unknown roads in Portugal. Portugese drivers drive fast and it looks like they have only few consideration with other users of the roads.
We allways wear fluorescent safetyvests and walk at the side of the road the traffic is encountering us so you can see them coming up.

Take care and happy planning.

Sure - we'll call when we get to Portugal.
And don't worry - we are very cautious with road walking.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You are on the "wrong" caminho
You walk the coastal. If you should have walked the central route , you should have encountered the "gem" between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima.

Is any reason to start in Oia ? I was wondering why.. Anyway the about 130 kms will be enough for a Compostela .

When are you walking the coastal ? We start april 30st on the central,indeed to the "gem":). And start on the coastal 3rd of May in Viana do Castelo and we walk direction Oia and Vigo. Maybe we see you around.
A minute ago I got the confirmation of the O Laranjeiro hotel in Viana do Castelo. We do not book hotels in advance usually ,not more than 2 or 3 days ahead but I have a list with hotels,hostals etc and allways a possibility to book via AIRBNB as we will do in Vigo, Santiago and back in Porto.

Bom caminho
As my budget is small I decided to go through the company Follow the Camino. As I have never travelled on my own before and they were highly recommended, I thought they can arrange everything for me. I did not know about this site when I booked.
I know of a lady who has done French and Portugal way. As I am walking end of August my travel agent recommended coastal as it will be warm and the sea breeze will be
nice. I only wanted to do 7 days so this adds up to 146 km. So starting point is Oia. This a huge step for me so I still wanted my creature comforts lol. I am happy with what has been arranged and am very excited.. I am sure I will meet many pilgrims and see spectacular sights, taste wonderful food and wine. I am doing this for me.
So I am not on the wrong Camino this is my Camino. What is Gem even though I won't be going that way??

As my budget is small I decided to go through the company Follow the Camino. As I have never travelled on my own before and they were highly recommended, I thought they can arrange everything for me. I did not know about this site when I booked.
I know of a lady who has done French and Portugal way. As I am walking end of August my travel agent recommended coastal as it will be warm and the sea breeze will be
nice. I only wanted to do 7 days so this adds up to 146 km. So starting point is Oia. This a huge step for me so I still wanted my creature comforts lol. I am happy with what has been arranged and am very excited.. I am sure I will meet many pilgrims and see spectacular sights, taste wonderful food and wine. I am doing this for me.
So I am not on the wrong Camino this is my Camino. What is Gem even though I won't be going that way??
Okay ! Don't take it offensive . What I meant was that you are on the wrong caminho as far as you want to stay at the "gem" casa da Fernanda. This is on the central Portugese route .
Casa da Fernanda is the best place to stay the night on the entire caminho Portugese.it is a privat family ,giving shelter to about 18 pilgrims, since many years all year round. they supply a bed,a shower, a lunch ,an evening meal, and a breakfast and at night sitting cosy together with all present pilgrims it feels like home.
. An atmosphere which is allmost uncommon on the Portugese way. Only at the Santarèm hostal and the Hilário's hostal in Mealhada on the Lisbon to Porto leg you find a kind of this atmosphere but Casa da Fernanda is the top.

If you follow my blog you can read about our adventures at the coastal this time.
We will stay in Oia to and most of the places you will stay.
As soon as we are in Portugal ,27th of april I will start with the travelblog
http://caminho-portuges-da-costa.reismee.nl

How do you travel to Oia ?

Last edited:
@Debra Andrew
....So starting point is Oia. This a huge step for me so I still wanted my creature comforts lol. I am happy with what has been arranged and am very excited.. I am sure I will meet many pilgrims and see spectacular sights, taste wonderful food and wine. I am doing this for me.
So I am not on the wrong Camino this is my Camino...

Hola Debra,
Last September I walked by myself the same route than you are going to walk and I know it well. I started my camino further down in Portugal and crossed the river in Caminha and walked along the coast to Redondela and finished my camino in Santiago.
If any questions - let me know :)
We can keep in touch when you are walking if any problems.

You are going to be doing ok even if this route is lonely sometimes :) It gets very busy when you reach Redondela and the Central route that leeds you to Santiago de Compostela.

In a couple of weeks time I will be there again and I can check up details for you :)

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Okay ! Don't take it offensive . What I meant was that you are on the wrong caminho as far as you want to stay at the "gem" casa da Fernanda. This is on the central Portugese route .
Casa da Fernanda is the best place to stay the night on the entire caminho Portugese.it is a privat family ,giving shelter to about 18 pilgrims, since many years all year round. they supply a bed,a shower, a lunch ,an evening meal, and a breakfast and at night sitting cosy together with all present pilgrims it feels like home.
. An atmosphere which is allmost uncommon on the Portugese way. Only at the Santarèm hostal and the Hilário's hostal in Mealhada on the Lisbon to Porto leg you find a kind of this atmosphere but Casa da Fernanda is the top.

If you follow my blog you can read about our adventures at the coastal this time.
We will stay in Oia to and most of the places you will stay.
As soon as we are in Portugal ,27th of april I will start with the travelblog
http://caminho-portuges-da-costa.reismee.nl

How do you travel to Oia ?
No sorry didn't take offence. I think you have made mistake I think it was Kiwi family that want to stay at Gem lol... I didn't know what it was but sounds like a fabulous place... I have a driver transfer that takes me from Santiago airport to Oia... I will most certainly be checking out your blog... will be a great read I am sure..
Buen Camino..

@Debra Andrew

Hola Debra,
Last September I walked by myself the same route than you are going to walk and I know it well. I started my camino further down in Portugal and crossed the river in Caminha and walked along the coast to Redondela and finished my camino in Santiago.
If any questions - let me know :)
We can keep in touch when you are walking if any problems.

You are going to be doing ok even if this route is lonely sometimes :) It gets very busy when you reach Redondela and the Central route that leeds you to Santiago de Compostela.

In a couple of weeks time I will be there again and I can check up details for you :)
Hola Annie,
Thank you for your comments. you are the first I have heard that has done/doing this way... I arrive 26th August, fly home 6th September. I will spend 2 nights in Oia to get some sleep lol as I am flying from Melbourne Australia with 3 stop overs. With 3 nights in Santiago. I am doing a day tour to Finisterre the day after I walk into Santiago then the next day I have to myself then fly home the following day... Thank you for your kind offer of help... As I only have pre paid phone I will only be able to use wi fi If hotel has it then I only know how to use f/b but will get someone to show me how to find this site and email lol not very good with modern tech stuff:(

Buen Camino:)

Hi, Casa Fernanda has at least two double rooms, which share one bathroom.

The experience has a lot to do with the other people staying at the time. It wasn’t for me (at the time) as I didn’t appreciate the loud singing and shouting after the evening meal. Hopefully your experience will be better! Jill

No sorry didn't take offence. I think you have made mistake I think it was Kiwi family that want to stay at Gem lol... I didn't know what it was but sounds like a fabulous place... I have a driver transfer that takes me from Santiago airport to Oia... I will most certainly be checking out your blog... will be a great read I am sure..
Buen Camino..
I am sorry. I see so many posts.
You did organise your trip well. I had a look at the website you mentioned.
And the driver transfer to Oia is a good idea because it is allmost at the end of the world.
Bom caminho

Hi, Casa Fernanda has at least two double rooms, which share one bathroom.

The experience has a lot to do with the other people staying at the time. It wasn’t for me (at the time) as I didn’t appreciate the loud singing and shouting after the evening meal. Hopefully your experience will be better! Jill
Some love the mother, some love the daughter, some love both. Is a Dutch saying...... Fernanda and Jacinto do their utmost to please everybody who passes by, day in day out , year in year out, all donativo.. ...If you do not want to pay for their service, you don't. Nothing is obliged. But they like the pilgrims coming in and give them a good feel.
People are fed ,get a bed.. They ask nothing..just give... A lovely couple and very generous.
There is no place on the Portugese where you find a place like this...
I have been three times there and after the common meal there was a cosy time of being together with all other pilgrims who stayed there.

Last edited:
In this world not everybody can be pleased.. Fernanda and Jacinto do their utmost to please everybody who passes by, day in day out , year in year out, all donativo.. ...If you do not want to pay for their service, you don't. Nothing is obliged. But they like the pilgrims coming in and give them a good feel.
People are fed ,get a bed.. They ask nothing..just give... A lovely couple and very generous.
There is no place on the Portugese where you find a place like this...
I have been three times there and after the common meal there was a cosy time of being together with all other pilgrims who stayed there.
Albertinho,
I as well LOVED IT!! Part of the Caminho experience is to DO what we normally don't don't do. If we want to do the same thing we do in the U.S. Or wherever we come from, then we would best stay in a Hotel or a Casa rural.

The wonderful Hostal in Santarem has also a wonderful courtyard, but if the sound of people singing and enjoying themselves bothers some people, then perhaps a Casa rural or a hotel would be better.

Each one of us has his/her special way to walk the way.

Buen Camino,

Texasguy

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Casa Fernanda has a sign by the side entrance that you pass on your way to Ponta Lima.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back